Death comes to Pemberley by Phyllis Dorothy…

Death comes to Pemberley (edition 2011)

by Phyllis Dorothy James

2,9192591,971 (3.02)307
Title:Death comes to Pemberley
Authors:Phyllis Dorothy James (Author)
Info:London Faber and Faber 2011
Collections:Untitled collection, Bücher, Read but unowned
Tags:Gelesen 2012

Death Comes to Pemberley by P. D. James

Recently added bylirael, Peace2, librarypimpin, murderbydeath, EJanega, private library, Rjhmzn, adeeba_zamaan, geomegs

English (254)  French (2)  Spanish (1)  Dutch (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (259)
In this extraordinarily elaborate piece of fan fiction, James imagines a sequel to Pride and Prejudice within the traditions of the detective novel. Complicated, and quite a lot of fun, but the delayed resolution feels artificially postponed fro dramatic effect (event the author seems to have been uncomfortable about it because she goes to some lengths to explain it). ( )
  sjnorquist | Oct 18, 2016 |
“Heaven and earth — of what are you thinking? Are the shades of Pemberley to be thus polluted?”

Austen had no way of knowing it, but it wasn't Elizabeth Bennett that would pollute the shades of Pemberley; it was P.D. James.

A couple of pages in, I thought "oh, this is looking good - 4 stars at least".

After a few chapters and the mindless, never ending digressions started piling up, I thought "blah, blah, blah. 3 stars."

Then the part where Darcy, Colonel Fitzwilliam and a lawyer start debating the merits of England adding an appeals court to their judicial system, with Darcy's monologue about how it would work, how many judges it would have, etc. and I thought "are you kidding me with this? 2 stars".

The ending of the "mystery" (there is no mystery, only a murdered man and the most ludicrously contrived plot I've ever read) was so sputteringly (made up word) ridiculous, and the epilogue a mind-numbing, insulting rehash of the ending to P&P that my last thought as I closed the book:

Stick a fork in me, I'm done. 1 Star. This was awful. ( )
  murderbydeath | Oct 17, 2016 |
Retelling the amazing Jane Austen tale through the eyes of the obnoxious local gossips as the prologue to your story will not endear you to any P&P fans. Horribly done. ( )
  benandhil | Sep 28, 2016 |
This was just not a book for me. I knew going into it that it was going to be a challenge. I am not a fan of Jane Austen or any of her books. I've read them but they just don't do anything for me. I find them incredibly tedious and sometimes boring. I went into this book knowing the premise and intent on giving it a fair read. I just think it still suffered for the same problems as regular Austen.

It was reasonably interesting and entertaining, but it just couldn't hold my interest. ( )
  Sarah_Buckley | Sep 17, 2016 |
I will begin by saying that I am not of the giant Jane Austen/P&P fan club, mainly composed of women, though I do appreciate the book's success as a literary classic. Nor have I ever read a PD James novel. I couldn't make it through this one: the jumps in narrative style, the obviousness of the murderer, and fan fiction that I couldn't bear to read. Though I love historical mystery, I hope to skip all other fan fiction murder mystery, particularly if it is based on Jane Austen. ( )
  cemagoc | Aug 8, 2016 |
. . . an excellent period mystery, replete with all manner of mayhem, and a most welcome way to revisit Elizabeth and Darcy. . .
added by 4leschats | editBookPage, Sukey Howard (Apr 1, 2012)

Really, gentle reader, there are limits. When mystery grande dame P. D. James felt the mantle of Jane Austen fall on her shoulders, why didn't she simply shrug it off? James places a template of Austen characters and Austen-like language over a traditional mystery plot. The mystery is set in 1803, six years after the wedding of Elizabeth and Darcy, with ample space given to catching us up on the recent doings of the Bennet family. On the mystery side, there's plenty of action, from the discovery of Captain Denny's body, through a trial, assorted deceptions and mix-ups, and love affairs. Unfortunately, though, if this is meant as an homage, it's a pretty weak cup of tea. James' many fans will be pleased to see any kind of new book from the 91-year-old author, but discriminating Austen devotees are unlikely to appreciate the move from social comedy to murder.
added by kthomp25 | editBooklist

Mitchell, SheilaReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ragnhild EikliTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Trond Peter Stamsø MunchNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Joyce McLennan
Friend and personal assistant who has typed my novels for thirty-five years
With affection and gratitude
It was generally agreed by the female residents of Meryton that Mr and Mrs Bennett of Longbourn had been fortunate in the disposal in marriage of four of their five daughters.
Author's note:
I owe an apology to the shade of Jane Austen for involving her beloved Elizabeth in the trauma of a murder investigation, especially as in the final chapter of Mansfield Park Miss Austen made her views quite plain: 'Let other pens dwell on guilt and misery. I quit such odious subjects as soon as I can, impatient to restore everybody not greatly in fault themselves to tolerable comfort, and to have done with all the rest.' No doubt she would have replied to my apology by saying that, had she wished to dwell on such odious subjects, she would have written this story herself, and done it better.
Here we sit at the beginning of a new century, citizens of the most civilised country in Europe, surrounded by the splendour of its craftsmanship, its art and the books which enshrine its literature, while outside there is another world which wealth and education and privilege can keep from us, a world in which men are as violent and destructive as in the animal world. Perhaps even the most fortunate of us will not be able to ignore it and keep it at bay for ever.
Simon Cartwright’s management of the prosecution was now apparent and Darcy could appreciate its cleverness. The story would be told scene by scene, imposing both coherence and credibility on the narrative and producing in court as it unfolded something of the excited expectancy of a theatre. But what else, thought Darcy, but public entertainment was a trial for murder? The actors clothed for the parts assigned for them to play, the buzz of happy comment and anticipation before the character assigned to the next scene appeared, and then the moment of high drama when the chief actor entered the dock from which no escape was possible before facing the final scene: life or death. This was English law in practice, a law respected throughout Europe, and how else could such a decision be made, in all its terrible finality, with more justice? He had been subpoenaed to be present but, gazing round at the crowded courtroom, the bright colours and waving headdresses of the fashionable and the drabness of the poor, he felt ashamed to be one of them.

It is 1803, six years since Elizabeth and Darcy embarked on their life together at Pemberley, Darcy's magnificent state. Their peaceful, orderly world seems almost unassailable. Elizabeth has found her footing as the chatelaine of the great house. Elizabeth's sister Jane and her husband, Bingley, live nearby; her father visits often; there is optimistic talk about the prospects of marriage for Darcy's sister Georgiana. And preparations are under way for their much-anticipated annual autumn ball.

Then, on the eve of the ball, the patrician idyll is shattered. A coach careens up the drive carrying Lydia, Elizabeth's disgraced sister, who with her husband, the very dubious Wickham, has been banned from Pemberly. She stumbles out of the carriage, hysterical, shrieking that Wickham has been murdered. With shocking suddenness, Pemberley is plunged into a frightening mystery.

Inspired by a lifelong passion for Austen, P.D. James masterfully re-creates the world of Pride and Prejudice, electrifying with the excitement and suspense of a brilliantly crafted crime story, as only she can write it.

[from the back cover]

Pemberley is thrown into chaos after Elizabeth Bennett's disgraced sister Lydia arrives and announces that her husband Wickham has been murdered.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,700,323 books! | Top bar: Always visible