Death Comes to Pemberley by Baroness P. D.…

Death Comes to Pemberley (edition 2012)

by Baroness P. D. James

Collections:Ebooks
Rating:***1/2
Tags:fiction

Death Comes to Pemberley by P. D. James

Recently added bykpdr, helmijj, ehelmke, private library, PrettyNerdie, MtrBev, mikedraper, MartinKoerner, eilobiro, coku

English (227)  French (2)  Spanish (1)  Swedish (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (232)
I have to admit that I struggled with the book. The first hundred pages or so felt ackward. If the book hadn't been our July book club selection, I probably would have cast it off much earlier. Mid-way into the story, the pace and ease leveled out and I was able to enjoy pieces of it. My favorite literature is both intellectual and thought provoking. I found this novel to be a typical story, delivered in a predictable fashion and buttoned up at the end. I don't know that I would intentionally pick up another PD James novel. ( )
  GingerSegreti | Jul 12, 2015 |
Como diria Luke , de la genial "THe LIving ENd" :

“Can't you see? I love you more than life... I don't care about anything anymore..."

Y a lo que voy es , no me importa nada , P.D. JAMES es genial , y Darcy es genial , y Lizzy es genial y quiero leer esto ya!!

LaMala | Jun 7, 2015 |
I don't remember being too terribly impressed with the crafting of this story: a bit over-done, but a good mystery. Miniseries looks really good though... ( )
  MargaretPinardAuthor | May 23, 2015 |
A good attempt at pastiche, but I'm afraid this one fell a bit flat for me. While I liked the allusions to Austen's novels (and not just Pride & Prejudice but the others too), the mystery plot just wasn't very interesting, and its consequences were somewhat silly. Most of the characters, including Elizabeth and Darcy, just seemed one-dimensional and without any of the energy that they had in Austen's original, which is a great shame.

Entirely skippable, I think. ( )
  JBD1 | Mar 28, 2015 |
Enjoyed this book immensely. First of P.D. James that I have ever read (unthinkable to many I'm sure). The tone of the book was instantly familiar and very much in keeping with the tone of Pride and Prejudice. I would recommend this to anyone that is a fan of that book and to the mysteries that this author is so wonderful at writing. ( )
  jMitty | Mar 25, 2015 |
. . . an excellent period mystery, replete with all manner of mayhem, and a most welcome way to revisit Elizabeth and Darcy. . .
added by 4leschats | editBookPage, Sukey Howard (Apr 1, 2012)

P. D. Jamesprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Ragnhild EikliTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Trond Peter Stamsø MunchNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is a (non-series) sequel to

To Joyce McLennan
Friend and personal assistant who has typed my novels for thirty-five years
With affection and gratitude
It was generally agreed by the female residents of Meryton that Mr and Mrs Bennett of Longbourn had been fortunate in the disposal in marriage of four of their five daughters.
Author's note:
I owe an apology to the shade of Jane Austen for involving her beloved Elizabeth in the trauma of a murder investigation, especially as in the final chapter of Mansfield Park Miss Austen made her views quite plain: 'Let other pens dwell on guilt and misery. I quit such odious subjects as soon as I can, impatient to restore everybody not greatly in fault themselves to tolerable comfort, and to have done with all the rest.' No doubt she would have replied to my apology by saying that, had she wished to dwell on such odious subjects, she would have written this story herself, and done it better.
Originally published: London : Faber and Faber, 2011.

It is 1803, six years since Elizabeth and Darcy embarked on their life together at Pemberley, Darcy's magnificent state. Their peaceful, orderly world seems almost unassailable. Elizabeth has found her footing as the chatelaine of the great house. Elizabeth's sister Jane and her husband, Bingley, live nearby; her father visits often; there is optimistic talk about the prospects of marriage for Darcy's sister Georgiana. And preparations are under way for their much-anticipated annual autumn ball.

Then, on the eve of the ball, the patrician idyll is shattered. A coach careens up the drive carrying Lydia, Elizabeth's disgraced sister, who with her husband, the very dubious Wickham, has been banned from Pemberly. She stumbles out of the carriage, hysterical, shrieking that Wickham has been murdered. With shocking suddenness, Pemberley is plunged into a frightening mystery.

Inspired by a lifelong passion for Austen, P.D. James masterfully re-creates the world of Pride and Prejudice, electrifying with the excitement and suspense of a brilliantly crafted crime story, as only she can write it.

[from the back cover]

Pemberley is thrown into chaos after Elizabeth Bennett's disgraced sister Lydia arrives and announces that her husband Wickham has been murdered.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,406,444 books! | Top bar: Always visible