Death Comes to Pemberley by Baroness P. D.…

Death Comes to Pemberley (edition 2012)

by Baroness P. D. James

Title:Death Comes to Pemberley
Authors:Baroness P. D. James
Info:Faber and Faber (2012), Paperback, 320 pages

Death Comes to Pemberley by P. D. James

English (228)  Spanish (1)  French (1)  Swedish (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (232)
I was more disappointed with this book than I should have been give my low expectations. I thought at least it would be a good mystery/crime novel and I would be entertained. Maybe it was because I read Sherlock Holmes just before this, but I was thoroughly unimpressed with even that element. And the Jane Austen base... Ugh. Next time, I'll just stick with the original and then read more Holmes. ( )
  MizPurplest | Sep 21, 2015 |
I had high hopes for this one and they were partly satisfied. If this had been my first foray into Pride and Prejudice fan fiction I might have liked it more but as it is I've read better in this genre. The Jamesian murder mystery seemed out of place in Austen's world. ( )
  karenchase | Aug 20, 2015 |
Just finished it. I went ahead and gave it five stars even though it was somewhere between "really liked it" and "amazing."

There *are* amazing things about it. Not only is it quotable (as I mentioned on first starting it), but some of it is *Austen* quotable. "A family of five unmarried daughters is sure of attracting the sympathetic concern of all their neighbours, particularly where other diversions are few"; "There are few activities so agreeable as spending a friend's money to your own satisfaction and his benefit"; Mary is described as "a compulsive reader but without discrimination or understanding, an assiduous practiser at the pianoforte but devoid of talent, and a frequent deliverer of platitudes which had neither wisdom or wit."

The continuation of the P&P story is also well done. James has clever, amusing ideas about what will happen to Mrs. Bennet after Mr. Bennet dies and what the neighbors really think about the Darcy marriage.

Initially I thought that James' use of characters from other Austen novels was a little too cutesy -- a bit show-offy, even; but it has a lot going for it. If this *is* the Austenverse, those other families are in it somewhere, and not too far from one another. Austen wrote close to home in every sense. And why not give serious Austen lovers an extra treat?

The mystery aspect of the story was handled very well. It felt emotionally as well as historically true. And the last chapter expands so expertly on the early relationship between Darcy and his sister that Austen lovers should read it even if they don't care to tackle the rest of the book.

Can I just add: P.D. James is freakin' *92* years old? For some reason, that makes this book extra cool to me.

---Just got my library copy. I was expecting a well-written, well-researched murder mystery -- it's all I asked. I was interested in what James would do with Austen's characters. I am shocked -- not only by how good this book is, but how smoothly James matches Austen's tone. I'm NOT someone who drools over all things Austen. I don't care about the movies. I don't read the "sequels." I read Austen's books and books about Austen, and that's it. I was talked into reading this book by friends and reviewers, and I had mixed feelings when I opened it. So listen when I say that I'm putting this book on my wish list, because it's so good it's *quotable*. ( )
  Deborah_Markus | Aug 8, 2015 |
I have to admit that I struggled with the book. The first hundred pages or so felt ackward. If the book hadn't been our July book club selection, I probably would have cast it off much earlier. Mid-way into the story, the pace and ease leveled out and I was able to enjoy pieces of it. My favorite literature is both intellectual and thought provoking. I found this novel to be a typical story, delivered in a predictable fashion and buttoned up at the end. I don't know that I would intentionally pick up another PD James novel. ( )
  GingerSegreti | Jul 12, 2015 |
Como diria Luke , de la genial "THe LIving ENd" :

“Can't you see? I love you more than life... I don't care about anything anymore..."

Y a lo que voy es , no me importa nada , P.D. JAMES es genial , y Darcy es genial , y Lizzy es genial y quiero leer esto ya!!

LaMala | Jun 7, 2015 |
. . . an excellent period mystery, replete with all manner of mayhem, and a most welcome way to revisit Elizabeth and Darcy. . .
added by 4leschats | editBookPage, Sukey Howard (Apr 1, 2012)

P. D. Jamesprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Ragnhild EikliTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Trond Peter Stamsø MunchNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is a (non-series) sequel to

To Joyce McLennan
Friend and personal assistant who has typed my novels for thirty-five years
With affection and gratitude
It was generally agreed by the female residents of Meryton that Mr and Mrs Bennett of Longbourn had been fortunate in the disposal in marriage of four of their five daughters.
Author's note:
I owe an apology to the shade of Jane Austen for involving her beloved Elizabeth in the trauma of a murder investigation, especially as in the final chapter of Mansfield Park Miss Austen made her views quite plain: 'Let other pens dwell on guilt and misery. I quit such odious subjects as soon as I can, impatient to restore everybody not greatly in fault themselves to tolerable comfort, and to have done with all the rest.' No doubt she would have replied to my apology by saying that, had she wished to dwell on such odious subjects, she would have written this story herself, and done it better.
Originally published: London : Faber and Faber, 2011.

It is 1803, six years since Elizabeth and Darcy embarked on their life together at Pemberley, Darcy's magnificent state. Their peaceful, orderly world seems almost unassailable. Elizabeth has found her footing as the chatelaine of the great house. Elizabeth's sister Jane and her husband, Bingley, live nearby; her father visits often; there is optimistic talk about the prospects of marriage for Darcy's sister Georgiana. And preparations are under way for their much-anticipated annual autumn ball.

Then, on the eve of the ball, the patrician idyll is shattered. A coach careens up the drive carrying Lydia, Elizabeth's disgraced sister, who with her husband, the very dubious Wickham, has been banned from Pemberly. She stumbles out of the carriage, hysterical, shrieking that Wickham has been murdered. With shocking suddenness, Pemberley is plunged into a frightening mystery.

Inspired by a lifelong passion for Austen, P.D. James masterfully re-creates the world of Pride and Prejudice, electrifying with the excitement and suspense of a brilliantly crafted crime story, as only she can write it.

[from the back cover]

Pemberley is thrown into chaos after Elizabeth Bennett's disgraced sister Lydia arrives and announces that her husband Wickham has been murdered.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,949,985 books! | Top bar: Always visible