När döden kom till Pemberley by P.…

När döden kom till Pemberley (edition 2012)

by P. D. James, Ulla Danielsson

Member:annakarin
Title:När döden kom till Pemberley
Authors:P. D. James
Other authors:Ulla Danielsson
Info:Stockholm : Wahlström & Widstrand, 2012
Collections:Lästa 2013, Read but unowned
Tags:fiction, historical fiction, crime fiction, Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice, english literature

Death Comes to Pemberley by P. D. James

English (218)  French (2)  Spanish (1)  Swedish (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (223)
OK but lacking the wit and dazzle of Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice, to which this is sequel. ( )
  sianpr | Dec 5, 2014 |
I read about half of it, and like it, but didn't like it enough to finish it now. I might return to it another time, but for now I have a stack of other books that I'm just interested more. I think I might need to check out some of James's other mysteries... ( )
  What_Katie_Read | Dec 1, 2014 |
This was okay, with a decent enough plot, and an appreciation for Austen's style. I found the prologue, which acts as a précis of Pride and Prejudice, a little pompous, and James' attempts to force connections with Austen's other works Emma and Persuasion clumsy and irritating, but I thought she understood the Pemberley characters well. It was a pacey read and kept me entertained. I knew the plot from the BBC adaptation, but that didn't matter. The unfolding of the story in written form was a different delight to that of the tv production. ( )
  missizicks | Nov 30, 2014 |
I don't consider myself a Jane Austen fan but I have read all her books because they are referred to so often in other books that I felt I should. Good thing that I had read Pride and Prejudice because this book would be much harder to understand if you haven't. P. D. James has continued on the story of Pride and Prejudice to imagine what Darcy and Elizabeth and all the others would have experienced. From that point of view the book is well done but I'm not as impressed with the whodunit aspect.

Darcy and Elizabeth are happily married with two sons. They live at Darcy's family manor, Pemberley, and Jane and Bingley live close enough for frequent visits. Lydia's husband, Wickham, is not welcome at Pemberley but Lydia occasionally visits. Mr. Bennett visits often but, happily for Elizabeth's peace of mind, Mrs. Bennett doesn't usually accompany him. Georgina, Darcy's sister, lives at Pemberley. When the book opens Pemberley is being readied for the annual Lady Anne ball. Jane and Bingley arrive the night before the ball for a quiet dinner. Accompanying them is Mr. Alveston, a London lawyer, who seems to be courting Georgina. Colonel Fitzwilliam, Darcy's cousin, is also in attendance and he is also contemplating marriage with Georgina. The cozy group is broken up by the arrival of Lydia in a hired carriage screaming that Wickham is shot in the woodland near Pemberley. Darcy, Alveston and the Colonel go to investigate and find Wickham covered in blood over the body of his friend Captain Denny. Wickham, when the group finds him, says "He's dead! Oh God, Denny's dead! He was my friend, my only friend, and I've killed him! I've killed him! It's my fault."

Given that statement Wickham is taken into custody by the local magistrate and charged with murder. The remainder of the book is concerned with the inquest and trial. Wickham is a cad and a womanizer but is he a murderer? I won't tell but, unlike James' more modern books, the unravelling of the mystery is less due to investigation than to good luck. I didn't figure everything out but some things are pretty obvious. There was also a few errors in the book about what happened when that James would not have made in her prime.

Janeites will want to read this book but true mystery buffs might be disappointed. ( )
  gypsysmom | Nov 21, 2014 |
Interesting concept, but just not very interesting in the execution (pun unintended). Dull characters, unfortunately.
  RGilbraith | Nov 1, 2014 |
. . . an excellent period mystery, replete with all manner of mayhem, and a most welcome way to revisit Elizabeth and Darcy. . .
added by 4leschats | editBookPage, Sukey Howard (Apr 1, 2012)

P. D. Jamesprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Ragnhild EikliTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Trond Peter Stamsø MunchNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is a (non-series) sequel to

To Joyce McLennan
Friend and personal assistant who has typed my novels for thirty-five years
With affection and gratitude
It was generally agreed by the female residents of Meryton that Mr and Mrs Bennett of Longbourn had been fortunate in the disposal in marriage of four of their five daughters.
Author's note:
I owe an apology to the shade of Jane Austen for involving her beloved Elizabeth in the trauma of a murder investigation, especially as in the final chapter of Mansfield Park Miss Austen made her views quite plain: 'Let other pens dwell on guilt and misery. I quit such odious subjects as soon as I can, impatient to restore everybody not greatly in fault themselves to tolerable comfort, and to have done with all the rest.' No doubt she would have replied to my apology by saying that, had she wished to dwell on such odious subjects, she would have written this story herself, and done it better.
Originally published: London : Faber and Faber, 2011.

It is 1803, six years since Elizabeth and Darcy embarked on their life together at Pemberley, Darcy's magnificent state. Their peaceful, orderly world seems almost unassailable. Elizabeth has found her footing as the chatelaine of the great house. Elizabeth's sister Jane and her husband, Bingley, live nearby; her father visits often; there is optimistic talk about the prospects of marriage for Darcy's sister Georgiana. And preparations are under way for their much-anticipated annual autumn ball.

Then, on the eve of the ball, the patrician idyll is shattered. A coach careens up the drive carrying Lydia, Elizabeth's disgraced sister, who with her husband, the very dubious Wickham, has been banned from Pemberly. She stumbles out of the carriage, hysterical, shrieking that Wickham has been murdered. With shocking suddenness, Pemberley is plunged into a frightening mystery.

Inspired by a lifelong passion for Austen, P.D. James masterfully re-creates the world of Pride and Prejudice, electrifying with the excitement and suspense of a brilliantly crafted crime story, as only she can write it.

[from the back cover]

Pemberley is thrown into chaos after Elizabeth Bennett's disgraced sister Lydia arrives and announces that her husband Wickham has been murdered.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,393,475 books! | Top bar: Always visible