A Simple Winter by Rosalind Lauer

A Simple Winter

by Rosalind Lauer

Oh my word. Can I possibly explain just how fantastic this book is without giving too much away about how everything turns out. A tough job but someone has to do it.

First of all, No slow start for this book. The intrigue starts in the first paragraph of the first chapter on the first page. We are immediately drawn into this story of heartbreak, loss and of feeling lost. The characters grab our attention and do not let go.

Rosalind Lauer is an excellent storyteller. She spins a story of mystery and intrigue that draws us in and makes us feel a part of the whole thing. We are part of the King family. We are part of Remy’s world-wind life.

We are afraid of “the bear” with Simon. And we are pulled equally between their two worlds just as strongly as Remy and Adam are.

I will say this… It is truly inevitable.

When you try to hide something – it always comes out in the end. People think they can hide who they really are or what they’re really doing but the truth always finds its way to the surface… and it’s usually at the worst possible time.

I will also say this. When I first began reading Amish fiction, I thought the stories about someone actually converting to the Amish faith would be very few and far between. I wasn’t wrong. But this story is not at all like any other story I have read. I kept expecting it to fit into the predictable patterns and it never did. It is all original and it is also – all WONDERFUL!

I can’t wait to get to the next in the series and then to read Rosalind’s NEW series! ( )
  JCMorrows | Aug 25, 2015 |
I loved this book. I've wondered for quite a while what the attraction was to these Amish books. While at a recent romance writers conference, this book was given away in our goodie bags. Now I understand why Amish books are so popular. I'm buying the next one as soon as my new Kindle arrives in the mail.
  JamiDavenport | Apr 2, 2014 |
I really enjoyed this book.

Remy, who works for her father at the Post, meets an Amish man, Adam on the train. He is returning to Lancaster County after the death of his parents, to take over raising his 10 siblings.
They strike up a conversation and once they go their seperate ways - Remy pitches his story to the paper. The paper send her to Lancaster Country for a follow up to the murder of Adam's parents.
Afraid of how Adam will react to her being a reporter she friends the family and ends up stranded with them for a few days due to a horrible storm.
While there they fall in love but once Adam learns the truth - can he forgive her.....

Read to the book to find out what happens next. ( )
  jnut1 | Mar 4, 2014 |
Rosalind Lauer invites you into an Amish home and you almost feel like you're Remy as a guest turned family. I sometimes had a hard time with Adam's feelings and he seemed so much older than twenty-four, but I guess that's what suddenly having to be the head of a large family will do to you. I would recommend this book to anyone who loves Amish fiction or is curious about it. ( )
  eliorajoy | Dec 6, 2013 |
This was my first Rosalind Lauer book but not my last. This was a great book. I usually don't care for the murder mystery but it was intertwined with a great story. Can't wait to read Sadie's story. ( )
  RebeccaRoupp | May 22, 2013 |
Adam King hoisted the wooden bench from the wagon and lowered it to his younger brother’s reach.

As a budding journalist with a major newspaper, Remy McCallister is eager to prove herself. While investigating an unsolved crime, Remy winds up in the tightly woven Amish community of Lancaster County, the last place she would ever expect to find herself. The story leads her to Adam King and his ten younger siblings, who are trying to sustain their warm, loving home in the wake of the murder of their parents. Although Remy tries to remain professional, she is captivated by the Kings. With her own mother gone and her father disengaged from their relationship, Remy longs for a home and a family just like that of these good, simple people.

Suddenly patriarch of his large family, Adam struggles to do the right thing for his siblings, his community, and his God. He neither wants nor needs the complications that spirited Remy brings. But as much as he tries to push her away, even as he counts all the ways this lovely outsider cannot possibly remain in his world—or in his heart—the wondrous light she shines upon his troubled soul cannot be denied. Adam can only pray for the strength and the faith to get this Englisher girl out of their lives for good.

Snowbound with the Kings, Remy experiences the wonder and the chores of a simple winter among the Plain People, as well as the friendship of their warm community. When her peaceful interlude ends, does she dare to reveal a killer in their midst, knowing that she may lose the love of this special family and this remarkable man?

THE PROMISE OF A HOME,
THE HEARTBREAK OF AN IMPOSSIBLE LOVE

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:37 -0400)

Journalist Remy McCallister decides to exploit her friendship with Adam King to write a story about the murder of his parents, but as she spends time in his Amish community and starts to fall for him, she questions her goal.

8 wanted1 pay1 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,037,196 books! | Top bar: Always visible