Rise and Shine by Anna Quindlen

Rise and Shine

by Anna Quindlen

I feel like I always want to like Quindlen's novels a lot more than I actually do. Nothing about this felt new or surprising, and the two main characters were more annoying than sympathetic. The whole thing just felt like the author wrote a novel because she was supposed to, not because she actually cared about writing. It was ok, but not particularly memorable or impressive. ( )
  NeedMoreShelves | Apr 24, 2014 |
Plot, not character driven....and what's with Meghan's body?: Once I got into "Rise and Shine," the plot carried me along; I even stayed up way too late to finish it. Still, it was often so predictable. As soon as I read too much about what a "prince" Leo as, I knew something tragic would happen to him. (To me, his driving to the projects each day was bordering on irresponsible for a supposedly loving aunt.) Quindlen's use of names like Edward Prevaricator, please...way too contrived and distracting. Finally, did anyone else get so tired of reading about Meghan's thin, sinewy, muscular, ever-shrinking body...we get it, Anna! Quindlen seemed to be getting caught up in her own appearance issues. It was a weird distraction. That's the kind of thing that marred this book. As a previous reviewer said, more showing, less telling. And don't hammer readers over the head. Subtlety isn't lost on us. There wasn't anywhere near the character depth here found in "Black and Blue." I'll give Quindlen credit for creating a rapidly-paced novel. But like eating marshmallows, it's a momentary pleasure that ultimately leaves one unsatisfied.
  lonepalm | Feb 5, 2014 |
Intriguing story of a network news star whose career and seemingly her life is blown apart by a mike that was not switched off. But the story is actually told from the point of view of the social worker sister - an unexpected twist. The story is less about glamour and glitz, and more about family and belief in self and love. This book is worthwhile. ( )
  wareagle78 | Jan 26, 2014 |
Rise and Shine has a great premise: it's the tale of two forty-something sisters, orphaned at a young age and raised by an aunt and uncle, who live vastly different lives. Meghan Fitzmaurice is the host of the most popular morning show on television (Rise and Shine); she is a well respected journalist, sought after professionally and socially - the A list in NYC circles. Her sister Bridget Fitzmaurice, her younger sister, has always deferred to her sister, even in her choice of careers: she is the head of a center for women, a social worker who works diligently to help her clients live safer easier lives.

One day Meghan's life crashes and burns: she calls a man "a fucking asshole" when her mike is on; at about the same time her husband of 22+ years tells her he wants a divorce. She disappears to an ocean hideaway, neither dealing with her job or marital problems. Bridget mothers Meghan's son Leo (as she always has) when a medical crisis occurs and until Meghan can return and assume the spotlight once again.

The sister relationship was a good premise, but I found this book to be very slow. I get the idea of money and celebrity opening doors and opportunities for individuals; I thought Quindlen rammed it down my throat. I get that NYC is a big magnificent city, all glittery and such; I thought Quindlen was condescending in her writing.
  Kelslynn | Jul 6, 2013 |
love Anna Quindlen and this is now my most favorite of her novels ( )
  lindap69 | Apr 5, 2013 |
Fame is a bee. It has a song- It has a sting- Ah, too, it has a wing. - Emily Dickinson
For Maria Krovatin, the star. Fearless, powerful, utterly amazing. I want to be you when I grow up.
From time to time some stranger will ask me how I can bear to live in New York City.

From Anna Quindlen, acclaimed author of Blessings, Black and Blue, and One True Thing, a superb novel about two sisters, the true meaning of success, and the qualities in life that matter most.

It’s an otherwise ordinary Monday when Meghan Fitzmaurice’s perfect life hits a wall. A household name as the host of Rise and Shine, the country’s highest-rated morning talk show, Meghan cuts to a commercial break–but not before she mutters two forbidden words into her open mike.

In an instant, it’s the end of an era, not only for Meghan, who is unaccustomed to dealing with adversity, but also for her younger sister, Bridget, a social worker in the Bronx who has always lived in Meghan’s long shadow. The effect of Meghan’s on-air truth telling reverberates through both their lives, affecting Meghan’s son, husband, friends, and fans, as well as Bridget’s perception of her sister, their complex childhood, and herself. What follows is a story about how, in very different ways, the Fitzmaurice women adapt, survive, and manage to bring the whole teeming world of New York to heel by dint of their smart mouths, quick wits, and the powerful connection between them that even the worst tragedy cannot shatter.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:02:42 -0400)

A novel about two sisters, the true meaning of success, and the qualities in life that matter most. It's an otherwise ordinary Monday when Meghan Fitzmaurice's perfect life hits a wall. A household name as the host of the country's highest-rated morning talk show, Meghan cuts to a commercial break--but not before she mutters two forbidden words into her open mike. In an instant, it's the end of an era, not only for Meghan, who is unaccustomed to dealing with adversity, but also for her younger sister, Bridget, a social worker in the Bronx who has always lived in Meghan's long shadow. The effect of Meghan's on-air truth telling reverberates through both their lives, affecting Meghan's son, husband, friends, and fans, as well as Bridget's perception of her sister, their complex childhood, and herself.--From publisher description.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,372,341 books! | Top bar: Always visible