Rise and Shine by Anna Quindlen

Rise and Shine

by Anna Quindlen

Recently added byKUglbtq, pint1275, private library, DeKane, juliejb9, SaraJudith, RPHS_Library, tyringham, BookHavenAZ
    Sisterland by Curtis Sittenfeld (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Though the sisters at the heart of these two novels are unwillingly thrust into the national limelight with quite different results for their relationships, both novels offer a compelling, realistic, and insightful look into the complex bonds between sisters.… (more)

This is the story of two New York sisters – Meghan Fitzmaurice is America’s favourite breakfast television anchor, while younger sister Bridget is a social worker, trying to help women from the Bronx projects find a better life. The sisters are good friends, and life seems to be coasting along nicely – until the day that Meghan, not realising that she is still on air, swears on live television and her career and personal life both go into freefall. The fallout affects not just Meghan, but her husband Evan and their teenage son Leo.

Narrated by Bridget, the story takes in not just the aftermath of Meghan’s error, but is also a love letter of sorts to New York, and a history of the two sisters’ lives as well as their relationships with the men – and other people – in their lives.

I wasn’t too sure what to make of this book. On the one hand, I definitely think Anna Quindlen is a talented writer and I found myself reading large chunks in one go which is always a good sign (a bad sign is when I put a book down after a few pages and look for something else to distract myself). On the other hand….I felt slightly removed from the action. This was not one of those books where you feel excited to find out what will happen next and neither did I really care about any of the characters. Although the on-air gaffe was entirely unbelievable, the incredible over-reaction to it was not so much. I didn’t warm to Meghan much at all, and possibly this was because the story was narrated by Bridget – even though Bridget is possibly her sister’s biggest supporter. I think it was an interesting idea to have the sister as the narrator, but it would have been quite nice to see Meghan’s point of view, even if perhaps they alternated chapter narrations.

From other reviews I’ve read it seems that fans of Quindlen’s other books were largely disappointed with this one. For me, this was actually the first book of hers that I’ve read and I would probably be interested in trying another on the back of it. ( )
  Ruth72 | Jul 7, 2018 |
You might love this book if 1) you are a celebrity groupie sort of person...can’t get enough of other people being able to sweep off the Caribbean when life lets them down, or 2) You are a sycophant for New York City and all things New York...it is is the center of the world and it would be better to be in a tiny brownstone there than a palace somewhere else. Otherwise, you might be like me and find it a bit lacking in depth.

I am a sister, and I did not find this sisterly relationship realistic. One of these women is just too extraordinary to believe and one is just too good to believe. By the time I was supposed to see the “other side” of the wealthy, beautiful, talented (use any adjective of this ilk) one, I just didn’t care. The plot took a long time developing, the struggles finally emerged, and then she resolved them all, wrapped it in cellophane, and tied a bow.

I am a fan of Quindlen, have liked her other books that I have read and truly loved Blessings, but this one just wasn’t my fare. Not that it was hard to read or to understand what she meant to be examining, just that it had so little that could be labeled as having meaning and being realistic. I suppose one of the things I have liked most about her writing is that it is, even when improbable, patently realistic. Right up to this book.

I have another of her books that I have not gotten to yet sitting on my shelf. It will sit a while longer, because this one has thrown me off her for a while. ( )
  phantomswife | Jul 6, 2018 |
Not my favorite Quindlen, but very well-written as always. ( )
  SukieClaus | May 31, 2018 |
If the characters and plot had depth, you can't tell from reading this book. Nearly painful to read. ( )
  SMBrick | Feb 25, 2018 |
First, let me get my bias out of the way. I am predisposed to adore any author who writes a book titled [b:How Reading Changed My Life|113148|How Reading Changed My Life|Anna Quindlen|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1320398903s/113148.jpg|3154214]. And I think Quindlen also shares one of my grammar pet peeves; when a news anchor says "She will probably have less supporters inside and out," Quindlen's characters shout at the screen. "'Fewer!' yelled Irving and I simultaneously."

Quindlen also really nails her descriptions of New York; you can tell she lives here when she makes the argument that black town cars are "the official icon of New York." "New Yorkers with pretensions but middle-class means take one for airport trips or special occasions," while for young professionals, "the company picks up the tab when they take one home late at night, when a prospectus or a brief has slopped over into the early morning hours." Her language is simple but vivid, like sketches done in black ink that evoke complex objects with just a few lines, and a hint of a flourish at the edges. It was the summer Meghan was an intern at the network affiliate there, the summer that would become the fat paragraph in every profile, and already she had started to shine like a copper ornament in the garden of everyday. Quindlen's straightforward style and everyday verbiage works perfectly for her first person narrator, and even her little lapses into poetry never overreach. The waitstaff may "drop tiny tasting dishes all over Kate's table like falling leaves," but the rest of the paragraph is perfectly conversational, leaving that jewel of a simile to shine like a stone in a minimalist setting. And see, she inspires me to write similes of my own, which may or may not be made of cubic zirconia.

Pick this up if you want an accessible but lovely novel that delicately reflects on the magic and mystery of sisterly love, and the peculiarly intertwined pressures of fame and tragedy. ( )
  BraveNewBks | Mar 10, 2016 |
Fame is a bee. It has a song- It has a sting- Ah, too, it has a wing. - Emily Dickinson
For Maria Krovatin, the star. Fearless, powerful, utterly amazing. I want to be you when I grow up.
From time to time some stranger will ask me how I can bear to live in New York City.

It's an otherwise ordinary Monday when Meghan Fitzmaurice's perfect life hits a wall. A household name as the host of 'Rise and Shine', the country's highest-rated morning talk show, Meghan cuts to a commercial break, but not before she utters two forbidden words into her open mike.

In an instant, it's the end of an era - not only for Meghan, who is unaccustomed to dealing with adversity, but also for her younger sister, Bridget, a social worker in the Bronx who has always lived in Meghan's long shadow.

The effect of Meghan's on-air truth-telling reverberates through both of their lives, affecting Meghan's son, husband, friends, and fans, as well as Bridget's perception of her sister, their complex childhood, and herself. What follows is a story about how, in very different ways, the Fitzmaurice women adapt, survive, and manage to bring the whole teeming world of New York to heel, by dint of their smart mouths, quick wits, and the powerful connection between them that even the worst tragedy cannot shatter.

From Anna Quindlen, acclaimed author of Blessings, Black and Blue, and One True Thing, a superb novel about two sisters, the true meaning of success, and the qualities in life that matter most.

It’s an otherwise ordinary Monday when Meghan Fitzmaurice’s perfect life hits a wall. A household name as the host of Rise and Shine, the country’s highest-rated morning talk show, Meghan cuts to a commercial break–but not before she mutters two forbidden words into her open mike.

In an instant, it’s the end of an era, not only for Meghan, who is unaccustomed to dealing with adversity, but also for her younger sister, Bridget, a social worker in the Bronx who has always lived in Meghan’s long shadow. The effect of Meghan’s on-air truth telling reverberates through both their lives, affecting Meghan’s son, husband, friends, and fans, as well as Bridget’s perception of her sister, their complex childhood, and herself. What follows is a story about how, in very different ways, the Fitzmaurice women adapt, survive, and manage to bring the whole teeming world of New York to heel by dint of their smart mouths, quick wits, and the powerful connection between them that even the worst tragedy cannot shatter.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:15 -0400)

A novel about two sisters, the true meaning of success, and the qualities in life that matter most. It's an otherwise ordinary Monday when Meghan Fitzmaurice's perfect life hits a wall. A household name as the host of the country's highest-rated morning talk show, Meghan cuts to a commercial break--but not before she mutters two forbidden words into her open mike. In an instant, it's the end of an era, not only for Meghan, who is unaccustomed to dealing with adversity, but also for her younger sister, Bridget, a social worker in the Bronx who has always lived in Meghan's long shadow. The effect of Meghan's on-air truth telling reverberates through both their lives, affecting Meghan's son, husband, friends, and fans, as well as Bridget's perception of her sister, their complex childhood, and herself.--From publisher description.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,200,142 books! | Top bar: Always visible