The Mighty Miss Malone by Christopher Paul…

The Mighty Miss Malone (2012)

by Christopher Paul Curtis

I have to give this story a 3 out of 5. I mean the story was indeed mediocre, but entertaining. You find out that Mr. Malone goes out on a boat to find money. People do die, at first all we know is his friend died. But later on we are told how he died. ( he is Mr. Malone's friend) you find out Mr. Malone goes out of town to look for work, which he wasn't successful. You find out Desa has a brother that could sing but had a height disorder. Desa brother Jimmy uses his talent to help the family. I know this review is all over the place, but the book was as well. This book left a lot of unanswered questions. I am really unsure if I would recommend this particular book. ( )
  SirenonMortalLand | Feb 28, 2019 |
This story is about a 12-year old girl named Deza Malone who helps her family in Gary, Indiana, during the Great Depression. Her father leaves Gary to find work, and Deza, her brother, Jimmie, and their mother soon follow with the hope that they will catch up to him. There is humor, suspense, adventure, and heart-wrenching experiences throughout the story that makes it a great read-aloud or Guided Reading book for third-sixth graders. ( )
  R180Lisa | Feb 4, 2019 |
I give this four ****, although I gave Bud, Not Buddy four-and-a-half even though I much prefer "strong girl" stories. I think my problem with The Mighty Miss Malone is that, although I easily fell in love with Deza Malone, I found her just a little bit too adorable to be true. Still, I strongly recommend it.

And note that, although Deza Malone appeared as a character in Bud, Not Buddy, she was only a "one-page character" in the earlier book and the link between the books is thin practically to the point of nonexistence. I say that in a good sense, meaning that you can read either or both of these books, as you choose; and if you want to read them both, you can read them in either order.

And for academic use, note that the book contains a reference to the first Louis-Schmeling fight. Also for academic use, be aware that Deza is an extremely bright child who particularly loves to write, and she sometimes uses her dictionary to find "big" words but not always successfully. There's a bit of cuteness when on several occasions Deza confuses "geological" with "geographical" and would say something to the effect that "that city's twenty-five miles away geologically." It's a good teaching opportunity to show children the difference between these two words, and generally to caution them against excessive precocity where dictionaries are concerned, but teachers might want to be sure their kids don't run around telling everyone that Philadelphia's a hundred miles away from New York geologically! ( )
  CurrerBell | Dec 8, 2018 |
Similar to Bud Not Buddy but with many more mature themes. I'd say probably middle school read, not elementary school. ( )
  wrightja2000 | Sep 6, 2018 |
Deza Malone (deh'-zah, don't call her dee'-zah!) is a tough, and extremely smart black girl growing up in Gary, Ind., during the Great Depression. The book is divided into three parts. Part 1, which is over half the book, introduces Deza and her family, her proud, serious mother, Peg; her loving, silly father, Raymond; and her tough but stunted older brother, Jimmy, who sings like an angel. We learn about their life in Indiana, the hardships they face because of the depression, and their strength as a family. At the end of Part 1, Raymond has left Gary to find work in Flint, Mich., and the remaining family is evicted from their home. They decide to go to Flint to hunt for their husband and father. In Part II, Deza, Jimmy and Peg are living in a Hooverville camp outside Flint. This takes up most of the remainder of the novel. Part III gets the family back on their feet again in most ways, but felt rushed. I would have liked the final section to spend a little longer getting where it was headed.
Deza is a delightful (if somewhat boastful) protagonist, and you will root for her all the way. ( )
  fingerpost | Jul 1, 2018 |
In memory of three of my heroes:

my uncle,

George Taylor,

Tuskegee Airman, Congressional Gold Medal wineer.

Hero. 1914-2008.

My friend

Harrison Edward Patrick. Hero. 1949-2010.

And

my brother,

Herman David Curtis. Hero. 1957-2011.
DEDICATION

There is a small archipelago off the eastern coast of Africa whose name escapes me at the moment. The name isn't the important part; the important part is the group of people who have inhabited these islands for millenia and developed a unique and thriving culture. Unfortunately, I can't recall what these people are called either, but once again that not really important.

What is important is the language these kind, peaceful people have developed. Linguists have noted that unlike other languages, which have developed out of practical necessity, this language is based on the description of emotions. The one word in this language that I want to focus on is the word for a Pavlovian type of behavior found in humans in which one action inevitably cause the same reaction. That word is aharuf, and it is translated as meaning the process by which the sight or thought of a particular person, place or object triggers an instantaneous lowering of the gnar (a concept most like blood pressure), a sharp rise in the Qarlo (most closely related to our understanding of endorphins) and an unavoidable beaming grin like that of the upper-paradise squink (a horselike quadraped very similar to the common American jackass).

After a long journey, I have found me aharuf, two people whom I cannot think about without splitting my face in a joyous smile. No matter what is going on around me, all I have to do is bring them to mind and I'm transported to a better place. They are my wife, Habon, and my daughter Ayaan.

This book is dedicated to Habon and Ayaan in, as Miss Malone might say, internal, undying gratitude for bringing me joy and guaranteeing that at the end of each day my cheeks will be sore from far too much smiling.
"Once upon a time . . ."

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0385734913, Hardcover)

Amazon Best Books of the Month for Kids, January 2012: The Mighty Miss Malone is one Deza Malone--dedicated student and member of a close-knit family whose motto is “we are a family on a journey to a place called Wonderful.” Unfortunately, the Great Depression is taking a toll that journey, and when Deza’s father leaves in search of work, the rest of the family soon has no choice but to follow. Despite the hardships, loss, and racism that defined the times, Deza never loses faith in her dreams or flags in her devotion to bringing her family together again. Perseverance and kindness serve Deza well, and her story is a welcome new journey into familiar territory from award-winning author Christopher Paul Curtis. --Seira Wilson

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:05:56 -0400)

"'We are a family on a journey to a place called wonderful' is the motto of Deza Malone's family. Deza is the smartest girl in her class in Gary, Indiana, singled out by teachers for a special path in life. But it's 1936 and the Great Depression hits Gary hard, and there are no jobs for black men. When her beloved father leaves to find work, Deza, Mother, and her older brother, Jimmie, go in search of him, and end up in a Hooverville outside Flint, Michigan. Jimmie's beautiful voice inspires him to leave the camp to be a performer, while Deza and Mother find a new home, and cling to the hope that they will find Father. The twists and turns of their story reveal the devastation of the Depression and prove that Deza truly is the Mighty Miss Malone."--Publisher.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,344,636 books! | Top bar: Always visible