The mighty Miss Malone by Christopher Paul…

The mighty Miss Malone (2012)

by Christopher Paul Curtis

I loved the mighty Miss Malone and wished I could continue to follow her story after the book ended. She is truly a wonderful, funny, inspiring character. The audio version of this book is outstanding as well.
  dcollins7984 | May 21, 2014 |
I did not like this book about Miss Malone only for the fact that it was boring. Learning about her family was very interesting, but I have read some better Biographies. There are no illustrations so it could be difficult for a child to understand the plot.

The message of the story is to learn about how some survived during the Great Depression era like Deza and her family did. ( )
  kwisem1 | Mar 6, 2014 |
Although THE WATSON'S GO TO BIRMINGHAM remains my favorite Christopher Paul Curtis novel, this one is right up there. He takes me into a world I know nothing about. This time of the 1930's Michigan black neighborhood as seen through the eyes of 12 year old Deza Malone. Her mom cleans houses. Her father is unemployed. If you want kids to empathize with children from history this is a book to have them read. It is terrible not to have money for clothes, have teeth with cavities that smell, eat cereal with worms in it. And it only gets worse. Dad leaves to find a job. Mom, Deza and her brother Jimmy are homeless and end up in a hobos camp. Yet, Deza never loses hope. She tells about her family's woes powerfully but with hope and exuberance at times. Her father disappears, her brother goes to sing in a speak-easy. But the family remains strong and there's powerful hope at the end of the book. The author's afterword about the Joe Louis and his boxing nemesis, the German Schmeling is a must read. I shared it with a fifth grade class and they clapped. I had no idea that Schmeling and Louis remained friends for life, or how important those boxing matches were to Americans and Germans. ( )
1 vote brangwinn | Jan 20, 2014 |
I liked this, but I've seen it on the short list for the Newbery and I don't think it's quite that good. I did like the dental aspect though. That was new and different. ( )
  scote23 | Dec 26, 2013 |
I would use this story for older elementary students. This is a great book to teach students about the history. This would teach the students about the Great Depression and how times had changed for the families during this time.
  ladiponi | Dec 10, 2013 |
In memory of three of my heroes:

my uncle,

George Taylor,

Tuskegee Airman, Congressional Gold Medal wineer.

Hero. 1914-2008.

My friend

Harrison Edward Patrick. Hero. 1949-2010.

And

my brother,

Herman David Curtis. Hero. 1957-2011.
DEDICATION

There is a small archipelago off the eastern coast of Africa whose name escapes me at the moment. The name isn't the important part; the important part is the group of people who have inhabited these islands for millenia and developed a unique and thriving culture. Unfortunately, I can't recall what these people are called either, but once again that not really important.

What is important is the language these kind, peaceful people have developed. Linguists have noted that unlike other languages, which have developed out of practical necessity, this language is based on the description of emotions. The one word in this language that I want to focus on is the word for a Pavlovian type of behavior found in humans in which one action inevitably cause the same reaction. That word is aharuf, and it is translated as meaning the process by which the sight or thought of a particular person, place or object triggers an instantaneous lowering of the gnar (a concept most like blood pressure), a sharp rise in the Qarlo (most closely related to our understanding of endorphins) and an unavoidable beaming grin like that of the upper-paradise squink (a horselike quadraped very similar to the common American jackass).

After a long journey, I have found me aharuf, two people whom I cannot think about without splitting my face in a joyous smile. No matter what is going on around me, all I have to do is bring them to mind and I'm transported to a better place. They are my wife, Habon, and my daughter Ayaan.

This book is dedicated to Habon and Ayaan in, as Miss Malone might say, internal, undying gratitude for bringing me joy and guaranteeing that at the end of each day my cheeks will be sore from far too much smiling.
"Once upon a time . . ."

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0385734913, Hardcover)

Amazon Best Books of the Month for Kids, January 2012: The Mighty Miss Malone is one Deza Malone--dedicated student and member of a close-knit family whose motto is “we are a family on a journey to a place called Wonderful.” Unfortunately, the Great Depression is taking a toll that journey, and when Deza’s father leaves in search of work, the rest of the family soon has no choice but to follow. Despite the hardships, loss, and racism that defined the times, Deza never loses faith in her dreams or flags in her devotion to bringing her family together again. Perseverance and kindness serve Deza well, and her story is a welcome new journey into familiar territory from award-winning author Christopher Paul Curtis. --Seira Wilson

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:23:55 -0400)

With love and determination befitting the "world's greatest family," twelve-year-old Deza Malone, her older brother Jimmie, and their parents endure tough times in Gary, Indiana, and later Flint, Michigan during the Great Depression.

26 wanted1 pay3 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,483,439 books! | Top bar: Always visible