When Darkness Hungers by J.K. Beck

When Darkness Hungers

by J.K. Beck

Review courtesy of Dark Faerie Tales.

Quick & Dirty: There is something for everyone in this story — murder, revenge, romance, vampires, and much more. Alexis is trying to find her sister’s killer and Serge is trying to find a way to save his soul.

Opening Sentence: The two vampires moved with steady purpose, the low fog curling around their ankles as if the oily darkness of the moonless night were caressing them.

The Review:

Alexis Martin thought the only bad guys out there were human until she finds out her sister has been murdered and that it was no human who killed her. Alexis’ sister Tori, was the victim of a vampire attack. Now Alexis has made it her mission along with her witch friend Leena to catch and destroy the monster that killed her sister. She tracks Tori’s murderer to Los Angeles where she meets Sergius, better known as Serge. Serge was once a vampire but after a curse was placed on him he became something much more. Together Alexis and Serge track down rogue vampires who have been leaving a string of dead humans in their wake. Unfortunately, Serge has a past that may ruin everything between him and Alexis.

I really enjoyed this book for the most part. The plot was intense but you do figure out who is behind the string of deaths fairly early on and it is very easy to figure out what Serge is hiding. Also, I was not a big fan of Alexis. Alexis is supposed to be hunting down her sisters’ killer when she meets Serge. She does not know anything about him except that he is a vampire who saved her life. She does not know why he has saved her life or whether he is a good guy or not and she is instantly in love and having dreams about him. They do explain the dreams in the story but it still seems too fast. Then her friend Edgar tells her that he has learned that Serge is dangerous. She ends up sitting in a sewer with Serge all day and when a friend of hers ends up dead after talking about Serge she just jumps into bed with him. Granted Serge does turn out to be a good guy but at this time she is not so sure. She loves him to the point of almost dying for him. Then to top it off her friend starts acting strange and Alexis does not seem to find it weird at all. She was very unobservant.

I did like Serge. He is the typical tall, dark and handsome, tormented vampire, or is he? It turns out Serge is not a vampire at all but something that no one has a name for. He has vampire like tendencies but he does not drink blood — instead he eats peoples’ life forces. This may make him sound evil but he is not. Serge only drains the life force out of rogue vampires. Unfortunately, this has put him on the radar of the Preternatural Enforcement Coalition or PEC for short. Serge is guilt filled, fighting what he has become and trying to become a better person. When he meets Alexis he finds someone who can calm the beast he has become. Because of this he starts to fall in love with her. Unfortunately, because of his secrets and his past he may just loose the one woman who could save him.

The other person I must mention is Leena. She is Alexis’ best friend and also a witch. Without her, Alexis would never be able to track down the rogue vampires she is hunting. Unfortunately, Leena has a dark secret that is a part of her family’s past and she is not even aware of it until the end. Leena starts to act strange, one minute she is her usual loving and friendly self then she is a cold distant woman who Alexis has a hard time even talking to.

I really enjoyed how detailed the plot was. Beck made it so I felt like I was a part of the story. I could picture everything so clearly. Like when Alexis confronted Serge for the first time and he pretty much begged her to kill him, I felt his anguish and her indecision. Even though I was not a big fan of Alexis, I could still feel for her as she learned what had happened to her sister. There were so many intense scenes where I wanted to get to the next part just to figure out what would happen.

I recommend this book to all adult paranormal readers. J.K. Beck introduces a new type of immortal that I have never read about and it is interesting to learn what Serge is capable of in his new form. There is romance which is a little hard to get into but the rest of the story is a very intriguing read.

Notable Scene:

To her horror, she realized that she’d moved out from behind the pillar and that she stood directly in his line of sight. “Go ahead,” he repeated, pushing himself to his feet and spreading his arms wide, baring his chest like a target. “Dammit Alexis, do it.”

She dropped her gun arm. For a moment, he only stared at her. Then his lip curled into a sneer that didn’t quit meet those warm, gray eyes. “You’re a fool,” he said, then turned his back to her.

FTC Advisory: Bantam Dell/Random House provided me with a copy of When Darkness Hungers. No goody bags, sponsorships, “material connections,” or bribes were exchanged for my review. ( )
  DarkFaerieTales | May 2, 2013 |
Author: J.K. Beck
Published by: Bantam
Age Recommend: Adult
Reviewed By: Arlena Dean
Raven Rating: 4
Blog Review For: GMTA
Review:

"When Darkness Hungers" by J.K. Beck was a real good paranormal romance. I really enjoyed this well written novel thinking that this author was very creative with many twist and turns...with this being great puzzle being put together piece by piece.

One of the main characters..Serge was definitely one tortured soul...trying now to do what is good...Alexis....an ex FBI agent who was now a vampire hunter since her sister Toni had been killed in a vampire attack....goes to L.A. California....and it was their that both of these two (Serge and Alexis)came together....with Serge saving Alexis life and also the life of a sixteen year old(Cee Cee).....they are pushed together. Then a old friend(Derrick) comes back and threatens Alexis's life...and Serge comes only to risk all to protect Alexis... and then you will have to pick up this read to find out......I don't want to give it away...its a good read! With Alexis have feelings for Serge...will this be redemption for him? What was going on with Division 6 and Homeland Security? This was really some story telling at this point.. bring up only a great ending.

The characters were simply interesting....Alexis, Leena, Sergius, Derrick, Toni, Penny Martinez, Cee Cee, Sara, Luke, Doyle, Frank, Tom, Vivian, Nostramo Bosch, Garvey, Bella, Jonathan, Orion, Petra, Mitre, Nick, Severin Tucker, Marcus and Edgar... all making this a moving action-packed read.

If you are in for a thrill of a ride ....then "When Darkness Hungers" ... from The Shadow Keepers Series ...is a good novel. I would recommend if you are into vampires, blood and witches.... this novel is a good read for you. I also liked the looks of the book cover. ( )
  arlenadean | Jun 1, 2012 |
Our Review [by Michelle L. Olson – LITERAL ADDICTION’s Pack Alpha]:
This is one of the most creative series I have had the luck to stumble across & I have had a soft spot for Serge since the beginning. His book couldn't have been better. The roller coaster of emotion & the extreme sides to every puzzle piece were thoroughly enjoyable.

Serge is a tortured soul, haunted by his past as a degenerate, his curse that may be broken but is still a part of him, the guilt he feels over things he’s done and those he’s let down and so much more.

Alexis is an ex-FBI agent turned vampire hunter trying to get vengeance for her sister who was killed in a vicious vampire attack. With the help of a witch she’s following the trail of vampire killings in CA and getting ever closer to avenging her sister’s death.

Division 6 is still hard at work covering up preternatural crime while following through with their own brand of justice with Sara (who we met in one of the earlier Shadow Keepers titles) at the helm as lead vampire prosecutor and her husband Luke as vampire governor.

Serge and Alexis cross paths early in the book, both on the trail of the same rogue vampire and there is instant chemistry.

When Serge ends up saving Alexis’s life as well as that of an innocent 16 year old, they get pushed together and the chemistry explodes.

Despite the fact that Serge is exactly what Alexis fights she can’t help her feelings for him, and Serge feels that Alexis is his path to redemption.

They don’t have an easy go of it, that’s for sure, but their story is definitely riveting.

The ending was incredible and a perfect set up for the next installment of the series. I hate waiting for it, but I’m excited to get my hands on it when it is available.

LITERAL ADDICTION gives When Darkness Hungers 5 Skulls, and would recommend it to all Urban Fantasy and Paranormal Romance readers. While the book can be read as a stand-alone, I highly suggest that you read the entire Shadow Keepers series in order to get the most of the books. You won’t be disappointed, I promise. It’s a fresh series full of amazing future potential and has been seated in my ‘favorite series’ list for quite some time. ( )
  LITERALADDICTION | Mar 31, 2012 |

FBI agent Alexis Martin knows that vampires exist--because one of them killed her sister. Assigned to investigate a series of bizarre homicides in Los Angeles, Alexis believes the murders are the work of rogue vampires--perhaps even the monster responsible for her sister's death. Now she finally has a chance for retribution.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,672,823 books! | Top bar: Always visible