The Gods of Gotham by Lyndsay Faye

The Gods of Gotham (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Lyndsay Faye

Member:Beamis12
Title:The Gods of Gotham
Authors:Lyndsay Faye
Info:Amy Einhorn Books/Putnam (2012), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 432 pages

The Gods of Gotham by Lyndsay Faye (Author) (2012)

English (82)  French (1)  All languages (83)
It is 1845 and the potato famine has struck Ireland. Immigrants are coming to America in droves and most of them arrive in New York City. Overpopulation has caused slums to form, gangs to rule, disease to rage unchecked and of course, corruption and crime to run rampant. The year 1845 also sees the formation of the first NYPD. Giving the copper star to political friends, known “enforcers” and some questionable characters is the norm and intimidation rather than police legwork appears to be the way to halt the criminals. Timothy Wilde is the most reluctant of the “coppers” being given the job by his brother’s (questionable) good graces after a fire destroys everything he owns as well as half his face. He is walking home during his first week on the job when a waif of a girl runs headlong into his legs. Street urchins, homeless orphans and child prostitutes are the norm for the Sixth Ward he patrols and Timothy knows he should take her to “The Home”. Something about her tugs at him and instead he takes her to his home. Not knowing this would be the beginning of his first real investigation Timothy trips through the muck and the mud, the haves, the have-nots and the have-nothings of New York and finds he is a good “copper” after all.

Turn the first page of this book and you step back into the New York of 1845. Ms. Faye researches her book so thoroughly and writes so convincingly you can almost smell the smells and feel the grit as the story moves along. She transports the reader back to a time when Manhattan was divided by colour and nationality, primarily made up of slums, with a few well-to-doers living high and farmland greenery only a carriage ride away. Drawing on her meticulous research into the history of her newly adopted city of residence, Ms Faye produces a book of accurate historical fiction that reads like a thriller.
  ChristineEllei | Jul 14, 2015 |
Gods of Gotham is a rare gem. I enjoyed all of it. The characters, their development, and being ushered through a world long gone, but for a few hours quite alive. Thank you Lindsay Faye for a great book. I'm sure I'll devour more Timothy Wilde stories in the future. ( )
  benjclark | May 15, 2015 |
I'm not sure who reviewed this and inspired me to pick it up, but whoever you are, thanks! I really loved it. I loved the characters in their wacky imperfections. I loved some of the characterization of the "copper stars" but how it wasn't over the top or obnoxious. The politics thrown in were perfectly infuriating and hilarious. Author was pithy enough to keep in entertaining without ruining the tone of a good mystery.

I did figure it out very early on. But what strikes me as important about this fact is that, even though I was right, the storytelling was so good that it didn't matter. My enjoyment was not hindered by knowing.

Just a good, old fashioned, who done it. I will definitely continue with this series. ( )
  tnociti | May 6, 2015 |
My blog post about this book is at this link ( )
  SuziQoregon | Apr 10, 2015 |
It took me some time to finish this book. Not because it was bad, boring or something like that, but because it was interesting and quite challenging to read.
A new member of the newly formed police force get experience in preventing crimes from happening. But, more importantly, he is assigned to the case of 19 murdered children.

A horrible case, with twists & turns. I found it interesting to go back to those days (1845) and look over the shoulder of Timothy Wilde, 'meet' his brother, the woman he loves and many more characters. ( )
  BoekenTrol71 | Mar 11, 2015 |
New York City of 1845 is a cacophany of competing lexicons. In The Gods of Gotham by Lyndsay Faye, the city’s political bosses, religious leaders, starving Irish immigrants, impoverished nativists, civil leaders, race-baiters, headline writers, popular novelists, street hawkers, sinners, lovers, and criminals each employ language as distinctive as a police report’s. But also whispering among the leaning hovels of babble in Five Points are secret loyalties, monstrous acts, and madness.
...
Amid many intersecting factions, venues, and intents, the novel retains a glorious and tragic coherence. Without being epigraphic, The Gods of Gotham is a feast of language, 1845’s New York City as a magnificent assembly of newspaper articles, poems, sensational novels, crime reports, advertisements, amateur theatrics, hawkers’ calls, political promises, and flash conversations, making those tender and awful things that can’t be said even more keenly felt.

For my family, who taught me that when you are knocked considerably sideways, you get up and keep going, or you get up and go in a slightly different direction.
When I set down the initial report, sitting at my desk at the Tombs, I wrote: On the night of August 21, 1845, one of the children escaped.

In 1845 New York City Timothy Wilde, a twenty-seven-year-old Irish immigrant, joins the newly formed NYPD and investigates an infanticide and the body of a twelve-year-old Irish boy whose spleen has been removed.
Timothy Wilde is
One of New York's first police
Investigators.
(passion4reading)

1845. New York City forms its first police force. The great potato famine hits Ireland. These two seemingly disparate events will change New York City. Forever.

Timothy Wilde tends bar near the Exchange, saving every dollar and shilling in hopes of winning the girl of his dreams. But when his dreams literally incinerate in a fire devastating downtown Manhattan, he finds himself disfigured, unemployed, and homeless. His older brother obtains Timothy a job in the newly minted NYPD, but he is highly skeptical of this untested "police force." And he is less than thrilled that his new beat is the notoriously down-and-out Sixth Ward-at the border of Five Points, the world's most notorious slum.

One night while returning from his rounds, heartsick and defeated, Timothy runs into a little slip of a girl—a girl not more than ten years old—dashing through the dark in her nightshift . . . covered head to toe in blood.

Timothy knows he should take the girl to the House of Refuge, yet he can't bring himself to abandon her. Instead, he takes her home, where she spins wild stories, claiming that dozens of bodies are buried in the forest north of 23rd Street. Timothy isn't sure whether to believe her or not, but, as the truth unfolds, the reluctant copper star finds himself engaged in a battle for justice that nearly costs him his brother, his romantic obsession, and his own life.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:32 -0400)

New York City, 1845. Timothy Wilde, a 27-year-old Irish immigrant, joins the newly formed NYPD and investigates an infanticide and the body of a 12-year-old Irish boy whose spleen has been removed.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

The Gods of Gotham by Lyndsay Faye was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,461,888 books! | Top bar: Always visible