The Gods of Gotham by Lyndsay Faye

The Gods of Gotham (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Lyndsay Faye

Member:Beamis12
Title:The Gods of Gotham
Authors:Lyndsay Faye
Info:Amy Einhorn Books/Putnam (2012), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 432 pages

The Gods of Gotham by Lyndsay Faye (Author) (2012)

English (95)  French (1)  All languages (96)
This book deserves more than 5 stars ... Whatever I'm going to write in this small review rectangle won't do it justice. The characters, the setting, the buildings, the words and language used, just amazing. This book is a historical fiction and the writer did a great job in doing her research before writing this book.

This is the first sequel of Timothy Wilde adventures. If Timothy was a real life character, I'd marry him without thinking ( )
  books.paper.mania | Sep 13, 2016 |
The Gods of Gotham is a fantastic, richly drawn story that works well on all of its levels. This is a story about murder, a story about politics, a story about immigrants, a story about faith and the lack there of, and, finally, it is a story about family, about brothers.

Timothy Wilde is young man with plans. He has a savings and girl in mind to marry. He also has an older brother, whom he hates, who is volunteer firefighter and player in the Democratic party in New York city. The year is 1845.

It is not long before Timothy's dreams are crushed when a major fire tears through his part of the city destroying his savings, his job, and scarring his face. With bitter reluctance, he takes a job as beat cop in the newly formed NYC Police Department. A job secured by his brother Valentine's political connections.

His life is changed, once again when he runs headlong into a young girl whose night dress is covered in blood.

What I enjoyed most about this book is the character of Timothy Wilde himself. He is a man lost and hurting who is thrust into a position of authority to which he rises to that responsibility with courage and dogged determination.

I was initially unsure of the narrator as his voice and the text seemed to be more modern that 19th century setting. I soon forgot this as the story hit its stride and took me a long for the ride.

So many themes in this book mirror our modern dilemmas; political corruption, immigration and integration, and the police. It is entertaining on the surface, as a mystery, and on a deeper level as commentary on the fact that as much as society evolves over time, it stays just as much the same.

I recommend this one highly. ( )
5 vote brodiew2 | Aug 24, 2016 |
Review: The Gods of Gotham by Lyndsay Faye.

This was a great book. It was well written and the creative characters supported their role. The year is 1845 and the destination was poverty stricken sixth Ward of New York.
At this time the potato famine brought many emigrants from Ireland to New York. This is a literary novel that has a few graphic scenes but they fit in with the historical side of the novel. Lyndsay Faye did her research well with scenes of past history. The story captures the reader’s interest from the first page to the last page. Lyndsay Faye starts off with a “Flash” glossary to be used by the reader to understand the coded language used by criminals and those hunting them down. Using the “Flash” language made the novel more inviting.

The story starts with the fires that spread through a large area of Manhattan and Timothy Wilde’s devastated scar that he will carry through his life as a survivor of the fire. The roaring flames of the fire took his bartender job, his home, even the silver coins hidden in his mattress melted to non-existence and smothering all his dreams away. Timothy’s savings were to help him when he proposed to a young girl, Mercy Underhill whose father is a Reverend of the same area. Timothy never knew he was disfigured from the fire until after it was over and someone told him to go to the nurses for treatment. From this point on Timothy new he had no chance with Mercy but he went on secretly loving her. However, she also had a secret…

His brother, Valentine Wilde was a different kind of a character, more on the wild side but he did help Timothy get a job with the newly formed police department, wearing a small copper star and sent to Sixth Ward as a policeman. Val and Tim hated each other and at the same time they loved each other…Timothy went from a bartender to a hesitant asset among the copper stars as he plunged into the Irish underworld. The idea of corruption in city government is not surprising but the degree and openness of the corruption describe here is astonishing.

Timothy was only on the job a few nights when he saw a young girl running down the filthy street in a nightgown which was drenched in blood. Timothy decided not to bring her to “The House of Refuge” which he should have done and instead brought her back to Mrs. Boeham’s boarding house were he had a room. After his landlady helped him clean Bird Daly, a ten year old girl, up he started questioning her about what happened. He wasn’t really getting a straight answer from her and then realized she kept changing her story. He became frustrated with her lie after lie that he decided to see if he could find out on his own where she came from.

Keep reading to see who is corrupted in this place of poverty and learn about the twenty or so young children, ages of five to thirteen, found in a mass grave at the end of town. Read about a Dr. Palsgrave who love children and cared for them but also had a secret experimental laboratory and move on to Mrs. Marsh’s busy brothel and her two gopher bodyguards, Moses Dainty and Scales, which the place seemed like the whole towns home away from home. The Gods of Gotham also harbors a drunken Catholic priest, Father Sheehy, where a gruesome death was nailed to his door. There is so much more to this novel that I had a hard time putting it down. I thought the ending was somewhat humorous…. ( )
  Juan-banjo | Aug 5, 2016 |
Enjoyable historical fiction with a bit of a mystery mixed in. ( )
  ltfitch1 | Jun 5, 2016 |
I enjoyed this book a lot more than I thought I would. The story was told in the first person point of view, but the narrator was recounting an event that happened. So you were able to experience the sights, sounds, and emotions of the story without being bogged down with unnecessary details you can sometimes get in a first-person point of view. Timothy Wilde's character was developed during the events without the author explaining all of his character traits through his own eyes.

The story was well-researched so the time-period was captured perfectly. I knew that there were many prejudices against the Irish during the era of the potato famine, but I don't think I realized how bad it was. Faye captured those prejudices in the narrative, but also in the primary source clippings added throughout.

The plot was a fascinating roller coaster ride from the start. Things would happen to Timothy constantly, but everything made sense as it was happening. It was not a case of what else can I do to my main character". When the ending finally came, it was not what I expected at all, but I loved how it was resolved." ( )
  jguidry | May 31, 2016 |
New York City of 1845 is a cacophany of competing lexicons. In The Gods of Gotham by Lyndsay Faye, the city’s political bosses, religious leaders, starving Irish immigrants, impoverished nativists, civil leaders, race-baiters, headline writers, popular novelists, street hawkers, sinners, lovers, and criminals each employ language as distinctive as a police report’s. But also whispering among the leaning hovels of babble in Five Points are secret loyalties, monstrous acts, and madness.
...
Amid many intersecting factions, venues, and intents, the novel retains a glorious and tragic coherence. Without being epigraphic, The Gods of Gotham is a feast of language, 1845’s New York City as a magnificent assembly of newspaper articles, poems, sensational novels, crime reports, advertisements, amateur theatrics, hawkers’ calls, political promises, and flash conversations, making those tender and awful things that can’t be said even more keenly felt.

For my family,
who taught me that when you are
knocked considerably sideways, you get up and keep going,
or you get up and go in a slightly different direction
When I set down the initial report, sitting at my desk at the Tombs, I wrote:
On the night of August 21, 1845, one of the children escaped.
The history of New York's Five Points is rife with legend, speculation, and controversy, but I have done my best to present its condition accurately. (Historical Afterword)

In 1845 New York City Timothy Wilde, a twenty-seven-year-old Irish immigrant, joins the newly formed NYPD and investigates an infanticide and the body of a twelve-year-old Irish boy whose spleen has been removed.
Timothy Wilde is
one of New York's first police
investigators.
(passion4reading)

1845. New York City forms its first police force. The great potato famine hits Ireland. These two seemingly disparate events will change New York City. Forever.

Timothy Wilde tends bar near the Exchange, saving every dollar and shilling in hopes of winning the girl of his dreams. But when his dreams literally incinerate in a fire devastating downtown Manhattan, he finds himself disfigured, unemployed, and homeless. His older brother obtains Timothy a job in the newly minted NYPD, but he is highly skeptical of this untested "police force." And he is less than thrilled that his new beat is the notoriously down-and-out Sixth Ward-at the border of Five Points, the world's most notorious slum.

One night while returning from his rounds, heartsick and defeated, Timothy runs into a little slip of a girl—a girl not more than ten years old—dashing through the dark in her nightshift . . . covered head to toe in blood.

Timothy knows he should take the girl to the House of Refuge, yet he can't bring himself to abandon her. Instead, he takes her home, where she spins wild stories, claiming that dozens of bodies are buried in the forest north of 23rd Street. Timothy isn't sure whether to believe her or not, but, as the truth unfolds, the reluctant copper star finds himself engaged in a battle for justice that nearly costs him his brother, his romantic obsession, and his own life.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:32 -0400)

New York City, 1845. Timothy Wilde, a 27-year-old Irish immigrant, joins the newly formed NYPD and investigates an infanticide and the body of a 12-year-old Irish boy whose spleen has been removed.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

The Gods of Gotham by Lyndsay Faye was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,106,695 books! | Top bar: Always visible