The Gods of Gotham by Lyndsay Faye

The Gods of Gotham (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Lyndsay Faye

Member:arielfl
Title:The Gods of Gotham
Authors:Lyndsay Faye
Info:Amy Einhorn Books/Putnam (2012), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 432 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Tags:Mystery Series/ Timothy Wilde

The Gods of Gotham by Lyndsay Faye (Author) (2012)

English (92)  French (1)  All languages (93)
Enjoyable historical fiction with a bit of a mystery mixed in. ( )
  ltfitch1 | Jun 5, 2016 |
I enjoyed this book a lot more than I thought I would. The story was told in the first person point of view, but the narrator was recounting an event that happened. So you were able to experience the sights, sounds, and emotions of the story without being bogged down with unnecessary details you can sometimes get in a first-person point of view. Timothy Wilde's character was developed during the events without the author explaining all of his character traits through his own eyes.

The story was well-researched so the time-period was captured perfectly. I knew that there were many prejudices against the Irish during the era of the potato famine, but I don't think I realized how bad it was. Faye captured those prejudices in the narrative, but also in the primary source clippings added throughout.

The plot was a fascinating roller coaster ride from the start. Things would happen to Timothy constantly, but everything made sense as it was happening. It was not a case of what else can I do to my main character". When the ending finally came, it was not what I expected at all, but I loved how it was resolved." ( )
  jguidry | May 31, 2016 |
Gods of Gotham - Faye
audio performance by Steven Boyer
4 stars

New York City in 1845 is a very challenging place to be. The heavy influx of Irish immigrants is adding ethnic fuel to an already volatile mixture on humanity. The likable, honorable, Timothy Wilde becomes, against his better judgement, one of the first ‘copper stars’ of the city’s new police force. Fortunately, he is a naturally good cop and an intelligent detective.

The plot was strongly reminiscent of The Alienist, but although this book was less literary, it was a faster read that held my attention throughout. I enjoyed the atmospheric setting and the colorful characters of this story. There were a few annoying historical anachronisms, but they didn’t interfere with the suspense of the mystery. Timothy Wilde is a strong character and I look forward to reading more about him in the next book of the series.
  msjudy | May 30, 2016 |
I had to think long and hard about this before I wrote the review. The book was very good, don't get me wrong, but I just wasn't sure where to go with the review. To put it simply, I think I read it too quickly and missed a lot. The ending makes so much... sense, but I didn't see it coming and I totally should have.

I really like the depiction of the relationship between the brothers (Tim and Val). It's something I think a lot of people can relate to, even if they don't have siblings. I was disappointed with most of the other character relationships though. You could argue that Tim and Bird's was well developed, but it just felt like something was missing there. You could also argue that the other interactions are strictly professional because that's how Tim approaches them, since everything is work related for him. I guess I just wanted more out of them.

Overall, I really enjoyed this. I plan on reading it again at a later date to see if things fall into place better for me. I'm still debating if I'll read the next book or not. I don't typically stick with series that have the potential to not end, but this is a very different sort of time period compared to the others. It takes place back in the mid- 1800's, so Tim doesn't have the benefit of technology, just the observation skills he picked up as an excellent bartender. The best part is, he actually DOES it, and it doesn't seem far-fetched at all! ( )
  cebellol | May 3, 2016 |
Excellent gothic historical detective noir. Love this genre, and I think this will be the next big book in it. Faye did a wonderful job of research, setting and character, and her " flash" language is incredible, but made easy for the reader. Also, the audible version was just outstanding, so I have a new fab author and narrator to add to my list. I even enjoyed the video on the author's website and information on her background that shows you why this book feels so period right.

Even the names evoke the characters, in a Dicksonesque way. You know what you are going to get when in New York during the Irish potato famine, you have a small disfigured detective named Timothy Wilde whose brother is named Valentine Wilde, Mercy Underhill is the girl of Timothy's dreams, and Bird Daly is the little girl who has run from the scene of the crime. (And that's just the short list of perfect names). With all of that detail taken care of, the reader can just sit back and enjoy.

Here is an example of what makes Wilde so likeable, even before he starts figuring out how to solve a murder:

"Escorting Mercy down a block, depending on her mood, you might not be there for all the attention she pays you. And I'm not exactly Sunday, so to speak. I've never been a special occasion. I'm all the other days in a work week, and there are plenty of us streaming by without notice. But I could fix that, or I thought I could."

Faye also did a great job of giving the sense of the racial and prejudicial turmoil of the times without being trite or judgmental, and in outlining the true grit of the first police force in New York. If any of this appeals to you, go get your copy today! ( )
  sydsavvy | Apr 8, 2016 |
New York City of 1845 is a cacophany of competing lexicons. In The Gods of Gotham by Lyndsay Faye, the city’s political bosses, religious leaders, starving Irish immigrants, impoverished nativists, civil leaders, race-baiters, headline writers, popular novelists, street hawkers, sinners, lovers, and criminals each employ language as distinctive as a police report’s. But also whispering among the leaning hovels of babble in Five Points are secret loyalties, monstrous acts, and madness.
...
Amid many intersecting factions, venues, and intents, the novel retains a glorious and tragic coherence. Without being epigraphic, The Gods of Gotham is a feast of language, 1845’s New York City as a magnificent assembly of newspaper articles, poems, sensational novels, crime reports, advertisements, amateur theatrics, hawkers’ calls, political promises, and flash conversations, making those tender and awful things that can’t be said even more keenly felt.

For my family,
who taught me that when you are
knocked considerably sideways, you get up and keep going,
or you get up and go in a slightly different direction
When I set down the initial report, sitting at my desk at the Tombs, I wrote:
On the night of August 21, 1845, one of the children escaped.
The history of New York's Five Points is rife with legend, speculation, and controversy, but I have done my best to present its condition accurately. (Historical Afterword)

In 1845 New York City Timothy Wilde, a twenty-seven-year-old Irish immigrant, joins the newly formed NYPD and investigates an infanticide and the body of a twelve-year-old Irish boy whose spleen has been removed.
Timothy Wilde is
one of New York's first police
investigators.
(passion4reading)

1845. New York City forms its first police force. The great potato famine hits Ireland. These two seemingly disparate events will change New York City. Forever.

Timothy Wilde tends bar near the Exchange, saving every dollar and shilling in hopes of winning the girl of his dreams. But when his dreams literally incinerate in a fire devastating downtown Manhattan, he finds himself disfigured, unemployed, and homeless. His older brother obtains Timothy a job in the newly minted NYPD, but he is highly skeptical of this untested "police force." And he is less than thrilled that his new beat is the notoriously down-and-out Sixth Ward-at the border of Five Points, the world's most notorious slum.

One night while returning from his rounds, heartsick and defeated, Timothy runs into a little slip of a girl—a girl not more than ten years old—dashing through the dark in her nightshift . . . covered head to toe in blood.

Timothy knows he should take the girl to the House of Refuge, yet he can't bring himself to abandon her. Instead, he takes her home, where she spins wild stories, claiming that dozens of bodies are buried in the forest north of 23rd Street. Timothy isn't sure whether to believe her or not, but, as the truth unfolds, the reluctant copper star finds himself engaged in a battle for justice that nearly costs him his brother, his romantic obsession, and his own life.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:32 -0400)

New York City, 1845. Timothy Wilde, a 27-year-old Irish immigrant, joins the newly formed NYPD and investigates an infanticide and the body of a 12-year-old Irish boy whose spleen has been removed.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

The Gods of Gotham by Lyndsay Faye was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,853,151 books! | Top bar: Always visible