The Gods of Gotham by Lyndsay Faye

The Gods of Gotham (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Lyndsay Faye

Member:arielfl
Title:The Gods of Gotham
Authors:Lyndsay Faye
Info:Amy Einhorn Books/Putnam (2012), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 432 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Tags:Mystery Series/ Timothy Wilde

The Gods of Gotham by Lyndsay Faye (2012)

English (99)  French (1)  All (100)
Set in 1845 New York, the NYC police department has just come into being. Amid the roiling animosity by the “Americans” against Irish Catholic immigrants, the “copper stars” commence trying to police the city and themselves, when the murder of a child ignites the fire under the powder keg.

I’m now a fan of Lindsay Faye and The Gods of Gotham. This author made her characters live, planted them in a setting rich with sense of place, and set them in a story both historically significant and worthy as a murder mystery. And to top off a great book, the narrator of the audiobook, Steven Boyer, did an amazing job. 5 stars all around. ( )
1 vote countrylife | Feb 24, 2017 |
When I bought this book, I had no idea it was the first in a series, but I'm happy to discover there are at least two more available for met to read. Set in 1845 New York, this mystery uses to good advantage three historical happenings: a devastating fire that destroyed much of lower Manhattan, the potato famine in Ireland that brought large amounts of Irish immigrants to New York that led to a Protestant-Catholic conflict, and the formation of the New York Police Department. Upon reading the Historical Afterward, I learned a smaller incident, that of the discovery of the body of a murdered infant that sets the tone for the book is also based on reality.

The protagonist is Timothy Wilde, a bartender-turned-copper star of the newly minted NYPD after he's burned in the aforementioned fire and lost his home and savings. Thrust into a case of missing and dead children who were working as prostitutes in one of the bawdy houses, he comes to realize he has real skill at getting to the truth of things. Throw in a complicated relationship with his older, politically connected brother and some social commentary, and the reader is treated with the presence of a wonderful character I sure want to spend more time with. The first half of the 19th Century in New York City is a period with which I'm not very familiar, as it was mostly skipped over back when I was in school, but thanks to this book, I feel I've gotten a bit of education. A good work of historical fiction inspires me to read up on the events covered in the book, and The Gods of Gotham is no exception. ( )
  ShellyS | Feb 16, 2017 |
I absolutely loved this one! Faye captures the very heart and soul of 1845 New York City - or more particularly lower Manhattan - and gave this reader the perfect antihero in Timothy Wilde. Wilde never planned on joining the newly minted NYC police force - known as the Copper Stars for the shape and metallic origins of their hastily crafted "badges" - and his relationship with his older brother Valentine is just one of many side stories captured in this enthralling, sweeping story of crime, religion, politics and friendship. Reading Faye's story, I found my senses of taste, sight, touch and smell responding to her wonderful descriptive writing. The descriptions of certain body mutilations are not for the faint of heart but the complex plot with its twists and detailed forensic analysis, and the well-rounded characters, kept me from shying away from this one. Bird, the homeless girl Tim encounters late one night, is a delight, as are the fast-talking pack of newspaper boys Tim befriends. At its core, this is a police procedural / crime story, but it is so much more than that. It is an exploration of Irish immigration, anti-Catholic sentiment and the essentially lawless state of a younger America and a rich historical fiction worthy of any historical fiction lover's attention.

.... so, am I happy to learn that Faye has written two more books focused on Timothy Wilde? You bet I am! ( )
  lkernagh | Jan 22, 2017 |
It's really a three star book, but I enjoyed listening to it more than I was irritated by the cliches. Plus she writes good dialogue, and who wouldn't want to be on the ground floor with the first New York police detective. ( )
  mkunruh | Nov 13, 2016 |
Wonderful historical thriller with all of it-- a complex plot, great characters, history well done, unrequited love and an unexpectedly poignant story of brothers. I want to see more of Timothy Wilde aye and for true. ( )
  jjaylynny | Nov 12, 2016 |
New York City of 1845 is a cacophany of competing lexicons. In The Gods of Gotham by Lyndsay Faye, the city’s political bosses, religious leaders, starving Irish immigrants, impoverished nativists, civil leaders, race-baiters, headline writers, popular novelists, street hawkers, sinners, lovers, and criminals each employ language as distinctive as a police report’s. But also whispering among the leaning hovels of babble in Five Points are secret loyalties, monstrous acts, and madness.
...
Amid many intersecting factions, venues, and intents, the novel retains a glorious and tragic coherence. Without being epigraphic, The Gods of Gotham is a feast of language, 1845’s New York City as a magnificent assembly of newspaper articles, poems, sensational novels, crime reports, advertisements, amateur theatrics, hawkers’ calls, political promises, and flash conversations, making those tender and awful things that can’t be said even more keenly felt.

For my family,
who taught me that when you are
knocked considerably sideways, you get up and keep going,
or you get up and go in a slightly different direction
When I set down the initial report, sitting at my desk at the Tombs, I wrote:
On the night of August 21, 1845, one of the children escaped.
The history of New York's Five Points is rife with legend, speculation, and controversy, but I have done my best to present its condition accurately. (Historical Afterword)

In 1845 New York City Timothy Wilde, a twenty-seven-year-old Irish immigrant, joins the newly formed NYPD and investigates an infanticide and the body of a twelve-year-old Irish boy whose spleen has been removed.
Timothy Wilde is
one of New York's first police
investigators.
(passion4reading)

1845. New York City forms its first police force. The great potato famine hits Ireland. These two seemingly disparate events will change New York City. Forever.

Timothy Wilde tends bar near the Exchange, saving every dollar and shilling in hopes of winning the girl of his dreams. But when his dreams literally incinerate in a fire devastating downtown Manhattan, he finds himself disfigured, unemployed, and homeless. His older brother obtains Timothy a job in the newly minted NYPD, but he is highly skeptical of this untested "police force." And he is less than thrilled that his new beat is the notoriously down-and-out Sixth Ward-at the border of Five Points, the world's most notorious slum.

One night while returning from his rounds, heartsick and defeated, Timothy runs into a little slip of a girl—a girl not more than ten years old—dashing through the dark in her nightshift . . . covered head to toe in blood.

Timothy knows he should take the girl to the House of Refuge, yet he can't bring himself to abandon her. Instead, he takes her home, where she spins wild stories, claiming that dozens of bodies are buried in the forest north of 23rd Street. Timothy isn't sure whether to believe her or not, but, as the truth unfolds, the reluctant copper star finds himself engaged in a battle for justice that nearly costs him his brother, his romantic obsession, and his own life.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:32 -0400)

New York City, 1845. Timothy Wilde, a 27-year-old Irish immigrant, joins the newly formed NYPD and investigates an infanticide and the body of a 12-year-old Irish boy whose spleen has been removed.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

The Gods of Gotham by Lyndsay Faye was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 112,504,170 books! | Top bar: Always visible