Bedtime Bible Story Book: 365 Read-aloud…

Bedtime Bible Story Book: 365 Read-aloud Stories from the Bible

by Toni Sortor (Editor), Jesse Lyman Hurlbut

Other authors: Kathy Arbuckle (Illustrator), Daniel Partner

I have been on the lookout for a good introductory book for adults to the stories in the Bible, and someone told me this children’s book would actually be a good one. They were right, I read through every story and enjoyed it! It’s a one-year collection of short Bible stories; you get 211 from the Old Testament, and 154 from the New (mostly Acts and the Gospels).

Do be aware that its target audience really is young children. You won’t find any of the Bible’s “adult themes” herein. Rahab isn’t a harlot; she’s just a nice lady. Mary isn’t a virgin. I guess that would be a little too complicated to explain.

365 days wasn’t quite enough for Partner to get through the Bible, probably because of an overemphasis on the teachings of Jesus, so you won’t find a full coverage of the Bible. For example, if there was anything at all about Ezekiel, one of the Bible’s more important prophets, I missed it. I was a little surprised at this, since Ezekiel’s dreams and publicity stunts would make for memorable children’s lessons.

You will, however, find a great deal of attention given to the kings of Israel and Judah, to the destruction of Jerusalem and the Temple, to the deportation into captivity, to the release from captivity and rebuilding of the Holy Land. Excellent; I’m in favor of this emphasis. Few Christians grow up knowing anything at all about Judaism’s past, its defeats, sufferings, and desperate hopes for redemption. This is, after all, the atmosphere which birthed Christianity, for Christ means “Messiah,” the long-awaited redeemer.

Great book, cute pictures, and even I could understand the simple writing. :) ( )
  DubiousDisciple | Jan 2, 2012 |

Sortor, ToniEditorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Lyman Hurlbut, Jessemain authorall editionsconfirmed
Arbuckle, KathyIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Partner, Danielsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

Written for children ages three to eight years, it has a year's supply of the best-loved Bible stories your children will delight in.

Parents and children will enjoy this story book that has 365 read-aloud stories from the Bible. And with over 100 illustrations, 'The Bedtime Bible Story Book' makes reading time a delightful learning experience.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,940,667 books! | Top bar: Always visible