Princess at Sea by Dawn Cook

Princess at Sea (edition 2006)

by Dawn Cook

Member:KathryneKennedy
Title:Princess at Sea
Authors:Dawn Cook
Info:Ace (2006), Paperback, 352 pages
Rating:*****

Princess at Sea by Dawn Cook

This is the second, and final, book in Cook's Princess series. I ended up enjoying it, although I though things wrapped up much too quickly.

I listened to this on audiobook and the audiobook was well done. I am still not a huge fan of the narrator, I just don’t like the voice she chose for Tess. However, she does a fine job differentiating between character voices and conveying emotion. This is one of those audiobooks I could take or leave; I think it would read the same in paper.

In this book Tess is assigned to take Queen Contessa and Prince Alex on their honeymoon. Along the way they are abducted by pirates. Through a series of events Tess’s involvement as a Player is threatened, once again spiraling her into self-doubt and forcing her to question who she really wants to be at heart.

I love the characters and enjoyed watching Tess struggle to understand who she is and survive her adventures at sea. This book is full of adventure and political intrigue. There is a heavy theme of love helping people to accomplish things that aren’t normally possible.

The end felt very rushed to me and was a bit unsatisfying. I felt like this might have made a better trilogy than a duology. Still, all the major plot points were wrapped up...if quickly.

Overall this was a decent conclusion to the Princess series. This was a fun book full of easy to love characters, adventure, and some light romance. I enjoyed the continuing theme of trying to find one’s place in the world. I thought the ending felt very rushed though. This is one of those fantasy series that was fun to read and I am glad I read it. The story is very engaging and it was hard to stop reading. However, there isn’t anything super unique in here and, despite being well done, it’s fairly forgettable. ( )
  krau0098 | Sep 24, 2017 |
Tess is now the Ambassador and Contessa and Alex are off on their honeymoon voyage. Things start off bumpy and then keep on rolling as they are kidnapped by pirates and Tess tries to keep saving them. Could have another book, but I doubt it. It also felt like something that could be aimed at young adults. I'll stick with her Rachel Morgan books. ;-) ( )
  pnwbookgirl | Feb 7, 2016 |
I don't know what is it about this series I like so much.

It feels immature, Tess does like to blame herself for absolutely everything that goes wrong, she is so sure of her own importance and her mission...And yet, she is plucky and stubborn,and comes up with interesting solutions to her problems, but it's like she is not using her brain, she is almost like a savant, intuitively feels it instead of thinking it through.

There is even more adventure and heartbreak in Princess at Sea, than in the first book. Tess, appointed as an ambassador, accompanies her sister and her new husband on their sea voyage, when they are captured by pirates and held for ransom.

However, the pirates don't believe that Tess has any value and aren't interested in keeping her alive. As a revenge for killing some of their comrades in battle Tess is thrown into a pit with an animal which just happens to be a punta - the same animal that gives Players their magical abilities.

She barely survives the encounter, but her body is full of poison which makes her moods and magic highly volatile. Still, Tess is determined to persevere and save everyone, and Jack, whose tasks are the same, becomes her unwilling but formidable partner in this.

The pirates are bloodthirsty, the shipwrecks are fearsome, the sea battles are ferocious, there are powerful storms and unexpected, heart wrenching treachery. This book tests Tess's mettle and I truly felt for her. The ending is surprisingly lovely, and I am totally looking forward to the next book in this series.

Easy listen, YA fantasy full of adventure with an occasionally annoying heroine. Recommended. ( )
  kara-karina | Nov 20, 2015 |
TBR
  Ebeth.Naylor | Sep 30, 2013 |
The story builds nicely on the first book. Certain characters gain more depth, and the story seems to grow organically rather than being forced as could have happened to achieve the desired outcome. Nicely done, and I'm looking forward to the next one (if there is one). ( )
  Krumbs | Mar 31, 2013 |

One day Contessa was a crown princess, the next, a beggar's child reared as a decoy. Her newly discovered magical powers make her invaluable to the kingdom, especially when the royal couple is abducted by pirates.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,760,993 books! | Top bar: Always visible