Black Site: A Delta Force Novel by Dalton…

Black Site: A Delta Force Novel (edition 2012)

by Dalton Fury (Author)

684175,945 (4)None
Member:JanArzooman
Title:Black Site: A Delta Force Novel
Authors:Dalton Fury (Author)
Info:St. Martin's Press (2012), Edition: First Edition, 352 pages

Black Site by Dalton Fury

Not bad for a freshman entry into the action adventure scene. The action was a good mix of realistic with a touch of the cinematic, but overly plausible. I will definitely give the next book a read. ( )
  ajohnson2371 | Nov 7, 2014 |
*Book source ~ Many thanks to Macmillan Audio for providing a review copy in exchange for an honest review.

Kolt Raynor, code name Racer, was at the top of his game as a Delta Force Commander when one bad decision on a covert operation plunged him into the abyss. After being kicked out of Delta Force and the military completely, for three years he took odd jobs to get by and drank his life away. Then one day there was a knock at his crappy trailer door and he was offered the chance to get back into the game, but as a civilian. The job was very risky, as in not-come-back-alive risky, but it was worth it for Kolt to do it and do it well. He had three weeks to train and it wasn’t going to be a piece of cake. If he survived the training then he would be able to start the job. After that, he just needed to survive it. Is Kolt too broken to get his head and body together? Or will he do whatever it takes to complete the mission?

I have a special thing for military thrillers probably because my husband and my son are both Marines. If the writing and the plot can keep me engaged then there isn’t much that will put me off the book. This story is not only one that kept me engaged from beginning to the end, but kept me on the edge of my seat. So many anxious moments when things could go wrong and at times did go wrong, but I was drawn right along and raring to keep going. Black Site is real enough to stave off disbelief of some of the situations and the descriptions and actions are just right, not too much and not too little. The varying POVs are something I particularly enjoy, so it was nice to get the story from the angle of other characters.

Since I listened to the audio of this book I have to comment on the narrator, Ari Fliakos. What a sexy voice that man has! Nice inflection and a variety of tones means I wasn’t bored listening to him. In fact, I enjoyed his narration so much I’m going to pick up other books he’s done and hope he continues to narrate audiobooks for some time to come.

All-in-all an awesome military/thriller/action book with lots of peril, weapons, bad guys, good guys and, for once, a woman riding to the rescue (at least in one instance). *wink* ( )
  AVoraciousReader | Oct 2, 2013 |
I checked this book out for my 15 year old son who is into nonfiction stories of modern soldiering. I wanted to get him to read some fiction, and thought to stick with the things he's interested in - mostly shooting and fighting. Black Site is a solid action story, and induced compulsive reading behavior in me, which is a certain kind of measure of literary worth. It's just about right for everyone's inner 15 year old boy. Dalton Fury peppers his tale with believable details about weapons, tactics, attitudes, Pashtun culture, the look and smell of Afghanistan and Pakistan, and the camaraderie between brothers in arms. You sense that he's lived soldiering, and recently. Unfortunately, when the story steps into the world of CIA operations, super-spy heroics, evil bad-guy al-Qaeda masterminds, one man take downs of eight team terror squads and the like, the world he imagines begins to seem more like a comic book. In other words, it's just too difficult to believe that events would ever go down the way he describes. I read through it quickly and enjoyed the adventure, but the verisimilitude promised by the early soldiering details and narratives is ultimately replaced by a wham bam thank you ma'am comic book adventure that's lots of fun, but just couldn't ever have happened quite like this. If you were watching the made-for-TV movie that this seems designed to become, you'd probably just wander off for potato chips at some point and forget to come back, or find yourself muttering "oh, like that would ever happen!" But books have a way of being more compelling than video and all and all, I say, this one was not a bad way to while away a day. If my 15 year old ends up reading it, I'll rate it as brilliant, because it helped a boy on his reading journey. If he doesn't, well then, there's really not much here to talk about.

Post Script: My 15 year old son read it, beginning to end, and more than once. I therefore rate this novel as "brilliant" and "a tour de force." ( )
  hereandthere | Apr 8, 2013 |
This is a new author for me and I enjoyed this book. I really liked the main character-a Delta force operator gone bad trying to regain his status by taking on this mission in which he has very little chance of coming out of it alive. I think that I will continue to read further books by this author. ( )
  TomWheaton | May 15, 2012 |

From former Delta Force commander and New York Times bestselling author of Kill Bin Laden comes the first novel in an explosive new series.

After September 11, 2001, Delta Force troop commander Dalton Fury was given the secret mission to hunt down and kill the most wanted man in the world, the details of which were recounted in his extraordinary New York Times bestseller Kill Bin Laden. Now, Fury draws upon his hard-won combat experience—and his gift for true-to-life storytelling—to offer a brand-new series of thrillers that are as close to reality as readers can get.

Meet Kolt Raynor. A Delta Force operator and one-time American hero, he is still trying to make sense of his life—and duty—after a secret mission gone bad. Three years ago, in the mountains of Pakistan, Raynor made a split-second decision to disobey orders—one that got some of his teammates killed and the rest captured. Now he’s been given a second chance to do right by his country, his men, and himself. But Raynor’s shot at redemption comes at a price.

A shadowy group of former colleagues has asked Raynor to return, alone, to Pakistan’s badlands. His assignment seems clear: find his missing men and bring them home. What Raynor never expected was to uncover a sinister al Qaeda plot to capture a Black Site--a secret U.S.­­ prison--and destabilize the region. Meanwhile, a ruthless, unknown enemy is on his trail…and he will stop at nothing to make sure that Raynor’s mission is not accomplished.

An intense, gritty work of edge-of-your-seat suspense, Black Site is the first of what promises to be one of the most exciting fiction series of the new millennium.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:57 -0400)

"After September 11, 2001, Delta Force troop commander Dalton Fury was given the secret mission to hunt down and kill the most wanted man in the world, the details of which were recounted in his extraordinary New York Times bestseller Kill Bin Laden. Now, Fury draws upon his hard-won combat experience--and his gift for true-to-life storytelling--to offer a brand-new series of thrillers that are as close to reality as readers can get. Meet Kolt Raynor. A Delta Force operator and one-time American hero, he is still trying to make sense of his life--and duty--after a secret mission gone bad. Three years ago, in the mountains of Pakistan, Raynor made a split-second decision to disobey orders--one that got some of his teammates killed and the rest captured. Now he's been given a second chance to do right by his country, his men, and himself. But Raynor's shot at redemption comes at a price. A shadowy group of former colleagues has asked Raynor to return, alone, to Pakistan's badlands. His assignment seems clear: find his missing men and bring them home. What Raynor never expected was to uncover a sinister al Qaeda plot to capture a Black Site--a secret U.S. prison--and destabilize the region. Meanwhile, a ruthless enemy will stop at nothing to make sure Raynor's desperate mission fails."-- Provided by publisher.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,078,668 books! | Top bar: Always visible