The Alchemy of Forever: An Incarnation Novel…

The Alchemy of Forever: An Incarnation Novel (edition 2012)

by Avery Williams

Member:ShaEliPar
Title:The Alchemy of Forever: An Incarnation Novel
Authors:Avery Williams
Info:Simon & Schuster Books For Young Readers (2012), Hardcover, 256 pages

The Alchemy of Forever: An Incarnation Novel by Avery Williams

NOAH. omg, I can't believe his body is now inhabited by Cyrus!!! But it was an exciting read! Definitely my type of thriller. it's Mara Dyer-ish w/o the Sera's immortality and Mara's craziness. ( )
  englisherna | Apr 8, 2015 |
I could not wait for this book to come out, but when it did I didn’t have the money to get it. When I finally bought it I was so excited that I started reading it straight away. I hate to say it, but I was disappointed.

I liked it while I was reading it but it just wasn’t as great as I hoped it would be. I can barely even remember what happened. Before writing this review, I actually had to sit down and try to remember what the book was about. This shouldn’t have been a problem considering I only read it a week ago. My memory is bad, but it’s not that bad.

Both the plot and characters were just meh. It was a good enough read that I got through it in one sitting, and I did enjoy it while I was reading it. It just wasn’t very memorable. I will be picking up book two, The Impossibility of Tomorrow, I just don’t know when. There are so many other books I want to read right now.

Note: This is an older review. So I don’t feel like I can get more into what I liked and disliked about it. Maybe someday I will re-read The Alchemy of Forever and do another review. ( )
  TheBookHoarder | Mar 8, 2015 |
  sheshethefangirl | Dec 19, 2013 |
"Could it be, I think as I drift off to sleep, that this is the life I was meant to have?"
—Seraphina

This book totally hooked me up from the first time I saw it on Goodreads. The description was really interesting, and the cover really caught my attention. It was really simple yet stunning and eye-catching, and well—let's be honest—who doesn't judge a book by its cover? I do.

The Alchemy of Forever told us about Seraphina Ames, how she was murdered on a masquerade ball hundreds years ago, how Cyrus, the boy whom she had crush with, had restored her and given her an immortal soul using alchemy technique, and how she became a killer and stole another people's life in order to keep living.
Being an Incarnated—the people brought back to life with alchemy—Sera never truly had any freedom, living her life as a possession and solely belongs to Cyrus. But when she tried to run away from her life and accidentally incarnate on a body of a dying teenager, what would she do to keep herself and everything around her safe from Cyrus?

This book was actually quite a light read, and while the concept and the plot was really interesting, I found the book was a bit too short, which affected the book's narration, which was great and descriptive at some place, but overly short and brief at the other. I love how Avery Williams decided to use timeline to tell us about Sera's life, from her original life to her current one, and the jumping actually added a nice twist to the story and intrigued the reader more. The ending was really good as well, satisfying but still left the reader with a cliffhanger that made us ask "What's next?".

The character, I found, was a bit too black-and-white. While their personality was distinct from each other and they have a nice background story as well, Avery Williams seemed to make her protagonist all good and shining and oh-so-nice, while her antagonist was an all-out-evil. It didn't make the character very believable, and therefore kind of hard to relate with them.
Seraphina Ames, as our main character, was actually one of a few character that I found quite unique. She was mostly a stable, normal young lady, living her life under the shadow of Cyrus, and constantly changing her identity. But different from her outer appearances, her inner self was a constant whirlwind of insecurity and doubt . It was really interesting to read how her inner thought and her action was really different, and how she continued to struggle with it every time.
Cyrus, our main antagonist, was portrayed as a possessive man who control every single aspect of Sera's life, and all of the Incarnates whom he had saved. To me, Cyrus character was a bit unappealing, and while he sure gave me a creep with his attitude, his too-black character made him lack humanity and less-believable. One thing I do like about him was how his transformation was told really well, from an innocent boy just helping his father to an obsessive, cruel young man who would do anything for the sake of alchemy. It was not a one moment transformation, and it really helped the reader to imagine how Sera's feel when he looked at him after hundreds years—similar body and totally different heart.

Some things I'm not quite fond of this book was, one : the too black-and-white character I've mentioned above, and two : too many useless character. Like Amelia and Sebastién, Sera's friend on the Incarnates coven, or some of her friend as a teenager, which names I couldn't remember. Their name were mentioned, like they were some sort of important character, but when they did make an appearance, they didn't have any significant role that made them essential, and truthfully, it was really easy to forget them.

Overall, if you're looking for a fresh YA paranormal read, or if you're just in the mood for something light, you could give this book a try. ( )
  NeysaKristanti | May 5, 2013 |
What a CRUEL ending! I refuse to believe it! ( )
  nicola26 | Mar 30, 2013 |

After spending six hundred years on Earth, Seraphina Ames' eternal life provides her with the world's riches, but at a very high price. Centuries ago her boyfriend, Cyrus, discovered a method of alchemy that allows them to take the bodies of other humans by jumping from one vessel to the next, ending the human's life in the process. No longer able to bear the guilt of what she's done, Sera escapes from Cyrus and vows to never kill again. But then sixteen-year old Kailey Morgan gets inbto a horrific car accident right of front of Seraphina and Sera accidentally takes over the body while trying to save Kailey. For the first time Sera finds herself enjoying the life of the person she's inhabiting, and falling for the human boy next door. But Cyrus wants Sera back again. Will Sera have to give up the true love that's eluded her for centuries?… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,435,944 books! | Top bar: Always visible