The Alchemy of Forever: An Incarnation Novel…

The Alchemy of Forever: An Incarnation Novel (edition 2012)

by Avery Williams

Member:ShaEliPar
Title:The Alchemy of Forever: An Incarnation Novel
Authors:Avery Williams
Info:Simon & Schuster Books For Young Readers (2012), Hardcover, 256 pages

The Alchemy of Forever: An Incarnation Novel by Avery Williams

NOAH. omg, I can't believe his body is now inhabited by Cyrus!!! But it was an exciting read! Definitely my type of thriller. it's Mara Dyer-ish w/o the Sera's immortality and Mara's craziness. ( )
  sheshethefangirl | Dec 19, 2013 |
"Could it be, I think as I drift off to sleep, that this is the life I was meant to have?"
—Seraphina

This book totally hooked me up from the first time I saw it on Goodreads. The description was really interesting, and the cover really caught my attention. It was really simple yet stunning and eye-catching, and well—let's be honest—who doesn't judge a book by its cover? I do.

The Alchemy of Forever told us about Seraphina Ames, how she was murdered on a masquerade ball hundreds years ago, how Cyrus, the boy whom she had crush with, had restored her and given her an immortal soul using alchemy technique, and how she became a killer and stole another people's life in order to keep living.
Being an Incarnated—the people brought back to life with alchemy—Sera never truly had any freedom, living her life as a possession and solely belongs to Cyrus. But when she tried to run away from her life and accidentally incarnate on a body of a dying teenager, what would she do to keep herself and everything around her safe from Cyrus?

This book was actually quite a light read, and while the concept and the plot was really interesting, I found the book was a bit too short, which affected the book's narration, which was great and descriptive at some place, but overly short and brief at the other. I love how Avery Williams decided to use timeline to tell us about Sera's life, from her original life to her current one, and the jumping actually added a nice twist to the story and intrigued the reader more. The ending was really good as well, satisfying but still left the reader with a cliffhanger that made us ask "What's next?".

The character, I found, was a bit too black-and-white. While their personality was distinct from each other and they have a nice background story as well, Avery Williams seemed to make her protagonist all good and shining and oh-so-nice, while her antagonist was an all-out-evil. It didn't make the character very believable, and therefore kind of hard to relate with them.
Seraphina Ames, as our main character, was actually one of a few character that I found quite unique. She was mostly a stable, normal young lady, living her life under the shadow of Cyrus, and constantly changing her identity. But different from her outer appearances, her inner self was a constant whirlwind of insecurity and doubt . It was really interesting to read how her inner thought and her action was really different, and how she continued to struggle with it every time.
Cyrus, our main antagonist, was portrayed as a possessive man who control every single aspect of Sera's life, and all of the Incarnates whom he had saved. To me, Cyrus character was a bit unappealing, and while he sure gave me a creep with his attitude, his too-black character made him lack humanity and less-believable. One thing I do like about him was how his transformation was told really well, from an innocent boy just helping his father to an obsessive, cruel young man who would do anything for the sake of alchemy. It was not a one moment transformation, and it really helped the reader to imagine how Sera's feel when he looked at him after hundreds years—similar body and totally different heart.

Some things I'm not quite fond of this book was, one : the too black-and-white character I've mentioned above, and two : too many useless character. Like Amelia and Sebastién, Sera's friend on the Incarnates coven, or some of her friend as a teenager, which names I couldn't remember. Their name were mentioned, like they were some sort of important character, but when they did make an appearance, they didn't have any significant role that made them essential, and truthfully, it was really easy to forget them.

Overall, if you're looking for a fresh YA paranormal read, or if you're just in the mood for something light, you could give this book a try. ( )
  NeysaKristanti | May 5, 2013 |
What a CRUEL ending! I refuse to believe it! ( )
  nicola26 | Mar 30, 2013 |
This book really surprised me since I didn't really know that much about the premise before I started reading it. The novel deals with incarnates, immortals who can live forever by taking the body and life of someone else. I liked the main character of Sera and found the whole idea of incarnates fascinating. It reminded me a bit of Infinite Days by Rebecca Maizel, so if you liked that one you'll probably enjoy this one too. Its the kind of book that has tons of potential and its a quick read. I thought it was a stand alone but its actually the first book in a series. Though I wasn't crazy about the rather abrupt ending, I'm still excited about the next book. ( )
  ShaEliPar | Jan 26, 2013 |
I do not feel this book is worthy of a review. I am only posting this as a warning for you to move on. DO NOT WASTE YOUR TIME! ( )
  GlamourGirl | Nov 16, 2012 |

After spending six hundred years on Earth, Seraphina Ames' eternal life provides her with the world's riches, but at a very high price. Centuries ago her boyfriend, Cyrus, discovered a method of alchemy that allows them to take the bodies of other humans by jumping from one vessel to the next, ending the human's life in the process. No longer able to bear the guilt of what she's done, Sera escapes from Cyrus and vows to never kill again. But then sixteen-year old Kailey Morgan gets inbto a horrific car accident right of front of Seraphina and Sera accidentally takes over the body while trying to save Kailey. For the first time Sera finds herself enjoying the life of the person she's inhabiting, and falling for the human boy next door. But Cyrus wants Sera back again. Will Sera have to give up the true love that's eluded her for centuries?… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,649,438 books! | Top bar: Always visible