Obsidian (Lux Novel) by Jennifer L.…

Obsidian (Lux Novel) (edition 2012)

by Jennifer L. Armentrout

Series: Lux (1)

Member:wyvernfriend
Title:Obsidian (Lux Novel)
Authors:Jennifer L. Armentrout (Author)
Info:Entangled (2012), Paperback, 400 pages
Collections:Library Loans, Read but unowned
Rating:***
Tags:fiction, library, read, 2012, december, bb, aliens, paranormal, romance, high school

Obsidian by Jennifer L. Armentrout

English (153)  Italian (1)  All languages (154)
Who knew being a jerk could be so likable. Daemon and Katy's relationship can be cold one minute and fiery hot the next. Daemon is an alien and Katy is his spunky new neighbor. Daemon enjoys ruffling Katy's ire, which Katy on some level seems to take pleasure in. Daemon and Katy were two of the best characters (put together)I've came across in a while, Daemon can be irritating but I didn't hate him once; Katy is no shrinking violet, she holds her own against Daemon's ever changing moods.

This was my first alien themed paranormal romance read, and it was a pleasurable one. If I every read another alien themed PNR. I hope it's as good as this one. The author's writing style was superb, the writing was witty, and appropriate.

Hope the next book is even better. ( )
  GigisIrieReads | Apr 20, 2016 |
I LOVED this book! Most of the time, books about teenagers annoy me. I hate listening to them whine about stupid teenage drama stuff. But, this one was different. The tension between those two is great! I absolutely loved everything about this book. :)

Raeadav | Mar 25, 2016 |
This was a super fun, fast paced read! I really enjoyed it and can't wait to read the second one. Plus, hot aliens? Who would have thought? It's a great read, I highly recommend it. ( )
  ChelseaClaudett | Mar 8, 2016 |
Three years after the death of her father, Katy's mother decides that it's time for a fresh start. They pack up and move from Florida to a tiny town West Virginia, where everybody is weird and rude. The first person Katy meets in West Virginia is her neighbor Daemon. And Katy hates Daemon. In fact, during their first meeting, she says he's acting like "the son of Satan."

But don't worry, because the feeling's mutual. Daemon can't stand Katy either:
- "She's not welcome in our house," Daemon snapped, turning to his sister. "Seriously."
- He smirked as he watched me. "I don't like that you're friends with my sister."
- "Actually I was being serious." He leaned over the table, staring up at me through thick lashes. "You're not wanted here."
- "Dee deserves better than you, people that are like her. So leave me alone. Leave my family alone."

Why does Daemon hate Katy so much? Oh, just because she's a human and he's a Lux, an alien, and nobody can ever find out his secret. Katy might be scared off by Daemon's weird, unfounded hatred of her if not for one thing -- Daemon's sister Dee is Katy's new best friend. She encourages the two of them to hang out to get to know each other better, inadvertently causing Daemon to mark Katy with a "trace" that will lead the Arum (enemy of the Luxen) straight to her.

The rest of the book is filled with some pretty intense sexual tension as Katy and Daemon do the whole I-hate-you-but-I'm-so-attracted-to-you dance for about 200 pages. There are some conflicts and some weird otherworldly stuff happens, but nothing of too much substance. The book is clearly setting up for several follow-up novels, which I may or may not read -- I have no burning desire to pick them up right now.

Honestly, the most frustrating thing was the writing. Aside from the typical YA/paranormal suspension of disbelief (Why are aliens attending high school?), the writing was weaker than I expected. I was disappointed to find several typos and continuity mistakes in a book that's so well known. For example, Katy notes that Ash, one of the Luxen, is just as gorgeous as all the other Luxen she's met. She marvels at this fact, wondering "what was up with alien DNA" to give them all perfect bodies. This, just shortly after Daemon tells her that they are able to choose the human form they take on.

My final rating hovers somewhere around 2.5 stars, but I'll round it up because I'm feeling generous. If you're into paranormal angsty romances, you'll probably like this one. It's a fun ride, but it won't be the best book you read this year.

[see more of my reviews at The Bibliophagist] ( )
  Sara.Newhouse | Feb 11, 2016 |
Ok, so I got totally hooked on this and read the entire thing in one sitting. There were a few plot threads that I thought got a little picked up and dropped, but I really enjoyed this and thought that the language and actions of the characters were true to life. I'm definitely looking forward to the next one. ( )
  lovelypenny | Feb 4, 2016 |

Jennifer L. Armentroutprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Reggiani, SaraTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my family and friends. Love ya like I love cake.
I stared at the pile of boxes in my new bedroom, wishing the Internet had been hooked up.

Starting over sucks.

When we moved to West Virginia right before my senior year, I’d pretty much resigned myself to thick accents, dodgy internet access, and a whole lot of boring…. until I spotted my hot neighbor, with his looming height and eerie green eyes. Things were looking up.

And then he opened his mouth.

Daemon is infuriating. Arrogant. Stab-worthy. We do not get along. At all. But when a stranger attacks me and Daemon literally freezes time with a wave of his hand, well, something…unexpected happens.

The hot alien living next door marks me.

You heard me. Alien. Turns out Daemon and his sister have a galaxy of enemies wanting to steal their abilities, and Daemon’s touch has me lit up like the Vegas Strip. The only way I’m getting out of this alive is by sticking close to Daemon until my alien mojo fades.

If I don’t kill him first, that is.

When seventeen-year-old Katy moves to West Virginia she expects to be bored, until she meets her neighbor who just happens to be an alien.

169 wanted7 pay4 pay

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,250,656 books! | Top bar: Always visible