Obsidian (Lux Novel) by Jennifer L.…

Obsidian (Lux Novel) (edition 2012)

by Jennifer L. Armentrout

Series: Lux (1)

Member:wyvernfriend
Title:Obsidian (Lux Novel)
Authors:Jennifer L. Armentrout (Author)
Info:Entangled (2012), Paperback, 400 pages
Collections:Library Loans, Read but unowned
Rating:***
Tags:fiction, library, read, 2012, december, bb, aliens, paranormal, romance, high school

Obsidian by Jennifer L. Armentrout

English (160)  Italian (1)  All languages (161)
My first thought after finishing this book was "I need to stop reading so much YA". It's just not my thing. I need to start ignoring the reviews that gush and remind myself that teenagers just irritate me.

Honestly, I liked the characters, esp the mains and their relationship. Daemon (a little heavy handed with that name, eh?) was an ass at times, but it was in a logical way. So many times, heros are made into asses but its supposed to be attractive. Not so here, so I really appreciated how he was portrayed. In contrast the heroine (can't even remember her name) was only interesting when she was interacting with Daemon which was unfortunate.

But my main, BIG problem was the awful world building. If you are going to have ball-of-light aliens, either explain them or don't, don't half-ass it. The explanations hat were given were confusing and vague, and at times contradictory. It was so annoying that every time alien stuff came up I mentally groaned. ( )
  GoldenDarter | Sep 15, 2016 |
So I got this as a free ebook on my Nook. It said it was about aliens in high school and I thought eh why not? I read it and then I was hooked. The main character Katy is pretty realistic and although this book follows the "Twilight Trope" that has become so popular in YA Fiction I feel like this book has something to offer.

First off when main characters Katy and Daemon first meet there isn't any insta love(YAY!). Daemon actually pisses Katy off and they spend the majority of the book fighting and basically being assholes to each other. Which was awesome. Katy becomes best friends with Daemon's twin sister Dee and Katy starts to notice weird things about the Black family and their close friends the more time she spends with them.

She finds out that their aliens and that the government has been basically covering up the existence of two alien races that have come to earth. The Luxen who are light based beings and the Arum who are dark based beings. Daemon and Dee are Luxen and Katy slowly gets tangled up in their world and ongoing battles with the Arum.

What I liked most about this book was Katy's character. She's funny, intelligent, runs a book blog, and basically a well rounded teenage character. She feels realistic to me as a sixteen to seventeen year old girl. The next thing I loved about this book was that they did poke fun at the similarities between it and Twilight. Jennifer L. Armentrout knows her audience well. Plus Daemon is described a super-hot but he's basically an asshole the entire time which I liked. He's trying to keep Katy and human at a distance after the disappearance of his and Dee's other brother and his human girlfriend. But Daemon and Katy undergo some really great character growth.

I have to admit after reading this book I bought the rest in the series as ebooks and I loved it. Sure sometimes I caught myself rolling my eyes at the characters because of their plotting and their attempts at being adults but I do that with real teenagers. All in all I would 100% recommend this book it made me laugh, it surprised me, it was predictable in some cases, but it was a great read! ( )
  oxlabyrinthxo | Jul 10, 2016 |
Más bien es como un 2,5.

Leí este libro por las altas calificaciones que todos le dan, y no es malo, pero tampoco es nada extraordinario.

Todo el tiempo mientras lo leía no podía evitar pensar en lo mucho que se parece a [b:Hush, Hush|6339664|Hush, Hush (Hush, Hush, #1)|Becca Fitzpatrick|https://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1358261334s/6339664.jpg|6525609], de hecho es prácticamente igual, sólo que en vez de ángeles aquí tenemos alienigenas.

Aunque por momentos era divertido, todo es demasiado típico como para entusiasmarme. Nada de lo que ocurre a lo largo de la trama me sorprende, y realmente no creo que las continuaciones mejoren en algo, por lo que dudo muchísimo que las lea. ( )
  Glire | Jun 22, 2016 |
"Once I lived for the touch of the Sun. I dimly remember this. Now, though, I am part of the human world. I need to know why, I need to know what has happened to me. But this male, this beautiful gentle male who rescued me from the forest floor and touches me so sweetly… he is mine.

This, I need no one to tell me.

This I know."

Okay, I'm one of those 'ew, snakes' people - can't stand snakes, scare the hell out of me, etc.
But there is something about snake shifters that change the game for me.

Rory Ni Coilean's Obsidian packs a punch in less than 8K. The prose was touch purple in the beginning. We're talking lilacs and violets. But the world building and race she creates held my attention that I didn't worry about the purple.

It was all about Naqxo, Lamia (snake) shifter and Damis, a human who was betrothed to the female-dominant race. The inner turmoil of Damis, who prefers men and laments having to be given to a woman was done very well. The fact that Naqxo is a snake takes a backseat to the fantasy filled magic that happened on the page.

It was magical, romantic and gives enough without giving anything away. Some authors can be open and others hold their cards to their chest. This one is the latter giving just enough to carry off this short story.

And the first time sex scene was scorching. I'm hissing along with Damis and Naqxo.

Thanks to the author and team behind this story.
" ( )
  SheReadsALot | Jun 20, 2016 |
Well I thought I would give this book a try because it’s from Jennifer L. Armentrout and because it had aliens in it. I had a hard time reading this book because the male protagonist, Daemon, is the biggest jerk ever! Honestly I get that the main female protagonist is taken in by his smashing good looks and that she really has no experience in life so a hot guy would be alluring but he written as the biggest jerk ever.

What I liked:

The alien aspect: They are beings of light and how they were written was interesting.

Katy: Leading lady and she is funny, does not roll over and take Daemon’s crap and does what she thinks is right. You go girl!

Dee: Daemon’s twin sister. She might be an alien but I really like her spunk. I like that she wants to have a life and make her own choices and that she is true to Katy.

What I did not like:

This book follows a typical formula. Bookish girl meets hot guy, drools over him but she does “want” him, liar, but she just cannot seem to keep her eyes, or hands off of him, and he is broody and full on angst. Somehow he is truly drawn to her because she is somehow hot and she never knew but that doesn’t mean he can be sweet or respectful in public but in the end he just can’t help himself, he has to protect her….because you know that somehow she is in danger. Mega eye-rolls on this.

Overall, I enjoyed the story with the beings of light. That was a different twist with them and the Arums. For those reasons I gave this story a three star rating. Daemon alone took away two stars. Sorry, men who are verbally abusive are never, ever, ever, ok in my book, even fictional ones. ( )
  TheGenreMinx | Jun 8, 2016 |

Jennifer L. Armentroutprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Reggiani, SaraTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my family and friends. Love ya like I love cake.
I stared at the pile of boxes in my new bedroom, wishing the Internet had been hooked up.

Starting over sucks.

When we moved to West Virginia right before my senior year, I’d pretty much resigned myself to thick accents, dodgy internet access, and a whole lot of boring…. until I spotted my hot neighbor, with his looming height and eerie green eyes. Things were looking up.

And then he opened his mouth.

Daemon is infuriating. Arrogant. Stab-worthy. We do not get along. At all. But when a stranger attacks me and Daemon literally freezes time with a wave of his hand, well, something…unexpected happens.

The hot alien living next door marks me.

You heard me. Alien. Turns out Daemon and his sister have a galaxy of enemies wanting to steal their abilities, and Daemon’s touch has me lit up like the Vegas Strip. The only way I’m getting out of this alive is by sticking close to Daemon until my alien mojo fades.

If I don’t kill him first, that is.

When seventeen-year-old Katy moves to West Virginia she expects to be bored, until she meets her neighbor who just happens to be an alien.

171 wanted7 pay4 pay

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,255,230 books! | Top bar: Always visible