Obsidian (Lux Novel) by Jennifer L.…

Obsidian (Lux Novel) (edition 2012)

by Jennifer L. Armentrout (Author)

Series: Lux (Book 1)

Member:wyvernfriend
Title:Obsidian (Lux Novel)
Authors:Jennifer L. Armentrout (Author)
Info:Entangled (2012), Paperback, 400 pages
Collections:Library Loans, Read but unowned
Rating:***
Tags:fiction, library, read, 2012, december, bb, aliens, paranormal, romance, high school

Obsidian by Jennifer L. Armentrout

English (131)  Italian (1)  All languages (132)
Katy Swartz isn't exactly thrilled about moving from Florida to West Virginia. But her mother needs a fresh start in life, especially after Katy's dad dies from cancer a couple of years ago, and so Katy doesn't protest all that much. And West Virginia, Katy soon learns, isn't so bad; she quickly makes a new friend, Dee Black, who happens to be her next-door-neighbor. Too bad Dee's twin brother, Daemon, is such a jerk.

First off, let me say how awesome it is that a book is actually set in West Virginia. That almost never happens, especially when it comes to YA, and since I spent most of my life living less than an hour from its border, I was all excited about it. But that was really the only thing that got me excited about this book, unfortunately.

I love aliens. I love science fiction. I thought that I was going to love Obsidian. But I didn't. I waffled for a while between giving the book two or three stars, but eventually I chose two because, in my opinion, the book was "okay," but I didn't particularly like it all that much.

Sure, Daemon, Dee, and others are aliens, but there sure wasn't much science fiction to be had here. And that's okay, because I wasn't expecting it all that much in the book. But still, I wish that there had been more. More of anything, really, except Kat bitching about how much of a jerk Daemon is and yet she can't help but be attracted to him anyway. There was beyond plenty of that.

Katy was an okay character. She's a bookish sort-of nerd who lives for blogging about books. I can totally get behind that. And she doesn't have a problem flipping off Daemon and/or calling him out for his bad behavior. Except...she still falls into the "omg he's sooooo good looking and I am so ordinary how could he ever even LOOK at me" trap that I despise.

And I'm not really all that sure why she's attracted to Daemon, except for his good looks and the brief glimpses of non-asshole behavior. But those are totally canceled out, at least in my view, by him being a jerk for 99% of the book. Daemon keeps telling Katy that she's not good enough to hang around Dee, that she needs to stay away from them both, that she's nothing but trouble. And Katy, though confused, doesn't really call him out on this for a long while. And Daemon tells her what to do - often - because he knows what is best for her. Uggggh. Intense dislike.

There's nothing attractive, at least to me, about a domineering guy who tells a girl (or woman) that she's not good enough and he knows what is best for her. Nothing.at.all. So please tell me why I'm supposed to find Daemon intriguing? Because I don't. And he doesn't really have much growth at all in this book.

Also, did the author seriously take a dig at Twilight when she pretty much rewrote that story featuring aliens instead of vampires? Sure, Katy is a better character than Bella, but Daemon is almost exactly like Edward Cullen.

Intensely attractive and brooding guy who prefers to stick to his own family members and/or friends, who are all also intensely attractive, but finds human girl intriguing in spite of himself. The guy isn't human, and his secret getting out is highly frowned upon by his clan of similarly-not-human people. He has awesome powers - super speed, for example - and uses them, rather against his will, to save the human girl, who figures out what he is. Follow this up with "we can't be together but we are so attracted to one another" angst. Oh, and there are good and bad types of their non-human species, and the bad kind is going to be gunning for the human girl now.

Umm, did I just describe Edward's relationship with Bella or Daemon's with Katy? You can't tell, can you? Because it's the same. Not plagiarism same, but definitely not "I wrote a superior story to Twilight and I am going to take a dig at Stephenie Meyer's story" different, either. And I say that as someone who is not a fan of Twilight. At all.

The only redeeming part of Daemon and Katy's relationship is that she told him in the end that he was a jackass and it didn't end all lovey dovey. At least Katy has some respect for herself. Not enough, unfortunately, if she finds Daemon the Dick a viable romantic partner, though.

So, overall, I found this book to be underwhelming. I purchased the two hardcover bind-ups of the first four books in the series (stupid me, I know), so I'll continue reading them. I just need to read some better stuff before I try to tackle the next book in the series. ( )
  schatzi | Aug 22, 2014 |
*No spoilers.

Initial reaction:
Blah. Blaaaaah. So much blah. Review to come when I can stomach sifting through my loads of notes. -_-

Okay. Fine. (1 month later..):

Do you like lashes? I mean, do you really like lashes? Well, you frikkin' better, because, while this is a YA book about aliens and shit, it can easily double as eyelash erotica.

The eyelash trope is strong with this one. Geebus, gimme a break. There were 16 mentions of lashes in only 30 chapters. I was ready to pull my lashes out.

I'm kind of at a loss with this book. There's a whoooole lot of fangirling going on about this mess and I just don't get it. I think I'm unimpressed, because I HATE DOUCHEBAGS AND THE "HERO" IN THIS STORY IS A DOUCHEBAG OF THE HIGHEST ORDER. That might be it.

Look, I like me a douche every now and then. Ya know, a little douche-y. Just as in real life, some mild douches just need a little kick in the ass to get their shit together and stop douche-ing around - I can get down with that small amount of douchiness, but Daemon is a MAJOR douche from BEGINNING to END. I shit you not. Dude didn't even take a lunch break. He douched every time, all the time, for all time. I'm not exaggerating. He was a fucking asshole from his first word to his last. I was waiting for "the change." Waiting for him to stop being a dick to Katy. Waiting for anything to justify all the ridiculous fangirling I've seen all over the place about this jerk. It never came. There was no redemption. No growth. Nothing. He's just a dick and that is apparently that. Blechh.

No, really. What's all the fangirling about? Oh, right..

I noted thick, sooty lashes fanning the tips of his high cheeks and hiding the color of his eyes as he looked down at me. I needed to know what color his eyes were.

They're bright-ass green. Like nuclear waste. In the dark. In a B-movie.

Anyway. I fucking hate Daemon.

Katy. She’s okay. I like her and she’s not a complete pushover, but she’s still pretty weak. She has her moments when she tries to stand up for herself, but they fall short IMO. I may feel this way due to my being a fucking bitch who has never had a problem telling someone to go fuck themselves if they so much as try to disrespect me. My standards for strength and bravery of book heroines are very, very high. Katy tried. She tried. I’ll give her that.

The whole storyline was lackluster. I can’t explain much without spoiling, but nothing blew me away. I enjoyed some of it, but not a whole lot. I could take it or leave it. I'll definitely not ever be rereading it and I love rereading. If anything, I found myself rolling my eyeballs a lot at all the stupid shit that was happening.

2 stars because I finished it, at least.

2 vote JennyJen | Aug 14, 2014 |
Wow. I think I'm glowing after I've read this book. Hihi. Left me hanging. ( )
  margaraawr | Aug 8, 2014 |
Wow. I think I'm glowing after I've read this book. Hihi. Left me hanging. ( )
  margaraawr | Aug 8, 2014 |
I was quite surprised by this book. Didn't think that Daemon and Dee were going to be such likeable characters. If you describe the book by telling people that a human girl falls for a hot alien guy and befriends his alien sister, it sounds so lame, but it was surprisingly enjoyable. Just as good as the Twilight vampire love fest as far as I'm concerned. ( )
  JRlibrary | Jul 9, 2014 |
For my family and friends. Love ya like I love cake.
I stared at the pile of boxes in my new bedroom, wishing the Internet had been hooked up.

Starting over sucks.

When we moved to West Virginia right before my senior year, I’d pretty much resigned myself to thick accents, dodgy internet access, and a whole lot of boring…. until I spotted my hot neighbor, with his looming height and eerie green eyes. Things were looking up.

And then he opened his mouth.

Daemon is infuriating. Arrogant. Stab-worthy. We do not get along. At all. But when a stranger attacks me and Daemon literally freezes time with a wave of his hand, well, something…unexpected happens.

The hot alien living next door marks me.

You heard me. Alien. Turns out Daemon and his sister have a galaxy of enemies wanting to steal their abilities, and Daemon’s touch has me lit up like the Vegas Strip. The only way I’m getting out of this alive is by sticking close to Daemon until my alien mojo fades.

If I don’t kill him first, that is.

When seventeen-year-old Katy moves to West Virginia she expects to be bored, until she meets her neighbor who just happens to be an alien.

109 wanted6 pay3 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,735,417 books! | Top bar: Always visible