Imagine: How Creativity Works by Jonah…

Imagine: How Creativity Works (edition 2012)

by Jonah Lehrer

Member:amimariscal
Title:Imagine: How Creativity Works
Authors:Jonah Lehrer
Info:Canongate Books (2012), Hardcover, 304 pages
Tags:Education, Innovation, New Economy, Design, Big Idea, Business, Creativity

Imagine: How Creativity Works by Jonah Lehrer

I liked this one so much I blew through it in 2.5 days. It's an easy read and it kept me thinking all the way through. I liked how it was divided into two main sections. The first section is about the creativity of the lone individual and the second section is concerned with the creativity of groups. Inspiring and thought provoking stuff. It compelled me to get up and meditate this morning. How's that for influence? ( )
  ndpmcIntosh | Mar 21, 2016 |
I was good with the book until I found out that Lehrer plagiarized.
  tmscott13 | Jan 23, 2016 |
I read this before I heard about Jonah Lehrer's tendency to make up facts and cherry-pick his science. So not recommended at all. The author simply isn't trustworthy. ( )
  chasing | Jan 18, 2016 |
I stopped reading this after reading this article about the author.

He's been fabricating quotes, recycling material and blatantly plagiarizing for a long time it seems, not worth my time. ( )
  LJMax | Aug 21, 2015 |
I wish this book has examined more how an individual can foster creativity, and focused less on how businesses can encourage creativity in their employees. Other than focusing too much on corporate activities which I found uninteresting, I liked the book quite a bit. ( )
  wishanem | Jan 27, 2015 |
The goal of “Imagine,” according to its subtitle, is to tell us “how creativity works” — to offer a scientific, mechanistic account of a seemingly ineffable phenomenon. And what distinguishes the scientific from other modes of thinking is not its technology, level of detail or even subject matter, but its ability to discover reliable cause-and-effect relationships. The clarity of physics and chemistry is rare in social science, but this is no license for presenting interesting speculations as settled truths.

The best way to think about “Imagine” is as a collection of interesting stories and studies to ponder and research further. Use it as a source of inspiration, but make your own careful choices about whether to believe what it says about the science of creativity.

Hell is a place where nothing connects with nothing.
—T. S. Eliot, Introduction to Dante's Inferno
For Sarah and Rose

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 184767786X, Hardcover)

Amazon Best Books of the Month, March 2012: Combining cutting-edge neurological research with the age-old mystery of how and when inspiration strikes, Jonah Lehrer’s Imagine: How Creativity Works is a fun, engaging study of creativity. Lehrer uses case studies like 3M’s and Pixar’s innovative corporate cultures and Bob Dylan’s songwriting habits to frame scientific findings about the brain and where creativity comes from. You won’t find exercises to help you think more creatively or ways to avoid creative blocks in this book. Instead, you’ll learn how and why creativity is stimulated by certain activities—like looking at the color blue, traveling, or daydreaming productively—and how these activities stimulate creativity in everyone, not just in ‘creative’ people. Lehrer’s focus is as wide and fascinating as his topic itself and there’s something to engage every reader, no matter where you rate yourself on the creativity spectrum. --Malissa Kent

Amazon Exclusive: Jad Abumrad Reviews Imagine

Jad Abumrad is host and creator of the public radio hit Radiolab, now in its seventh season and reaching over a million people monthly. Abumrad has won numerous awards, including a National Headliner Award in Radio and an American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS) Science Journalism Award. Read his exclusive Amazon guest review of Imagine:

As a storyteller, I'm in awe of Jonah Lehrer.

It's rare that you read a book where every page has at least one "Aha!" moment, one moment per page that grabs your perspective and gives it a good shake. In other words, while reading this book, I kept experiencing the very phenomenon Jonah is investigating--the sensation of insight. That pleasant brain fever that overtakes you when you suddenly, in a flash, see the world in a new way.

This book is the single best attempt I've ever read (and I've read many) to demystify human creativity. To puncture the age-old mysteries: how do insights happen? How can I make them happen more?

The beauty here is in what Jonah chooses to notice. Bob Dylan, W.H. Auden, the inventor of the Post-It Note, an autistic surf champion . . . they all become gorgeously rendered wormholes into the inner wonders of the human mind. And because of his background in neuroscience, when Jonah does the brain, he delivers the goods.

And finally: though this isn't a self-help book (thank God for that), at the end of it, you're left with a set of ideas and practices that you can actually use.

I do believe this book will set a new standard for science journalism. I for one will be handing it out as a Christmas presents for years to come.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:33 -0400)

"New York Times"-bestselling author Lehrer ("How We Decide") introduces readers to musicians, graphic artists, poets, and bartenders to show how they can use science to be more imaginative and make their cities, their companies, and their culture more creative.… (more)

389 wanted3 pay5 pay

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,249,725 books! | Top bar: Always visible