I, Michael Bennet by James Patterson

English (11)  Dutch (1)  All languages (12)
This is a good book, part of the "Michael Bennett" books by James Patterson. It is an easy read, and certainly kept your interest. The book was fairly predictable. ( )
  weberdonna | Apr 28, 2014 |
  cmakny | Aug 14, 2013 |
more James Patterson fluff!

It had actually been a while since I read a Michael Bennett book and this was a nice dip back into the Bennett's world. I'm still amazed by their having an apartment big enough for their family on the UWS, but I also liked that this book was also taking then out of the city. I felt bad for MB, but I also found myself angry with him. He fouled it up with Tara and Mary Catherine. At what point does he learn?

Some of this was surreal to the point of being unrealistic -- a breakout on the 14th floor of the courthouse? Boys running away with girls who happen to be tied into the Latin King thug charged with a hit on them? But I read it. I always do. The cliffhanger with the next book was a interesting twist and I look forward to reading the new one as soon as it's out to find out how their time in Witness Protection goes.

One thing Patterson and his co writers do best is the sympathetic older characters: Nana Mama and Seamus. ( )
  skinglist | Apr 6, 2013 |
I HATE to categorize a James Patterson book in to a time-waster slot, BUT this one, I should have put it down when I first got bored with it, around page 60 or so when it was just going nowhere. Confusing, disbelief in the characters, and that abrupt ending actually pissed me off! NOT enjoyable. SORRY! ( )
  gma2lana | Jan 28, 2013 |
I found myself wrapped deeply into this new Michael Bennett story and thrilled by all the twists and turns. It is also very intriguing to see how far the reach of a drug lord can go - even from a prison cell. It doesn't hurt to be a billionaire either, just spend a million here and there to get what you want.

Many of the events in this book can be the headlines today. The cartels are ruthless and it appears like nobody can stop them. Now along comes Michael Bennett, he does things to this drug lord that nobody had ever lived to talk about. Michael shows his bravado, getting into this guys face and actually hurts him. These people kill families! Michael has a very large family and soon finds they are not indispensable. He takes them all to his northern New York boyhood cabin on the lake. But things have also changed here and drug gangs are everywhere. People have left the small community, homes are boarded, businesses closed. A war is taking place - gang against gang and gangs against the Police. Michael finds himself fighting on two fronts - the common denominator being drugs.

Unbeknown to Michael, his flirtation with other women has taken a toll on the young Mary Elizabeth and she leaves the family and Michael. You don't know what you've lost until it's gone. Michael is heartbroken and finally understands. Will she come back? Will the flame come back on? What will Michael do?

I stayed up late to finish the story and like other reviewers thought my Kindle lost a few pages. Oh, okay, I'm beginning to understand, it's like season finales on television, JP is going to keep us on edge until the next book arrives. And I'll be like most JP followers, either pre-order or buy it the day it comes out.

I still rate it a 4/5 because it was a thrilling ride from start to finish and I am looking forward to the next release.

John Podlaski
Author, Cherries - A Vietnam War Novel ( )
  JPodlaski | Nov 21, 2012 |

James Pattersonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Ledwidge, Michaelmain authorall editionsconfirmed
To the people of the most beautiful city on the
Hudson, one of the most beautiful rivers in the
world. Live in Peace.

For Bob Hatfield, Mick Fescoe, and the rest of the
gang from St. Patrick's.
Starting to gasp as she climbed the increasingly steep slope of the tangled hiking trail, Mary Catherine was about to take a breather when the tree line opened.

Police officers shot

Detective Michael Bennett arrests an infamous Mexican crime lord in a deadly chase that leaves Bennett's lifelong friend Hughie McDonough dead. From jail, the prisoner vows to rain epic violence down upon New York City-and to get revenge on Michael Bennett.

Judges murdered

To escape the chaos, Bennett takes his ten kids and their beautiful nanny, Mary Catherine, on a much-needed vacation to his family's cabin near Newburgh, New York. But instead of the calm and happy town he remembers from growing up, they step into a nightmare worse than they could have ever imagined. Newburgh is an inferno of warring gangs, and there's little the police-or Bennett-can do to keep the children safe.

Target: Michael Bennett

As violence overwhelms the state, Bennett is torn between protecting his hometown and saving New York City. A partner in his investigations, federal prosecutor Tara McLellan, brings him new weapons for the battle-and an attraction that endangers his relationship with Mary Catherine. A no-holds-barred, pedal-to-the-floor, action-packed novel, I, Michael Bennett is James Patterson at his most personal and most thrilling best.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:52:35 -0400)

Detective Michael Bennett takes his family to upstate New York in an effort to escape a lawless crime wave erupting in Manhattan only to find themselves immersed in another nightmare, one that endangers his relationship with his wife.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,291,540 books! | Top bar: Always visible