The Innocent by David Baldacci

The Innocent (edition 2012)

by David Baldacci

Member:bonnieclyde
Title:The Innocent
Authors:David Baldacci
Info:Grand Central Publishing (2012), Paperback, 448 pages

The innocent by David Baldacci

When I realized that other books, that shall remain unnamed here, are being gleefully accepted, hugged and devoured in mere hours, I said screw the hype. I have my own quiet, and genuinely good favorites. The book is about Will Robie and his priorities in ending and protecting life. Other characters are Julie Getty and Vance. There's a nifty trick that Baldacci has used a couple of times. It consist of showing a major coincidence, an unlikely event, and then show that it was all part of a plan.

Baldacci is not a universally revered author. If he was, he would be a household name. I suspect, no, I admit that his style is not universally renown, but it's terrifically compatible with me and other fans. The Camel Club was a stroke of brilliance, but for lightning to strike twice? It just means that while I was a fan, now I'm a fanboy. This type of authorship is what I've been looking for my whole life. I await the rest of Baldacci's work with perhaps the highest expectations I've had ever. ( )
  Jiraiya | May 29, 2014 |
Whoo, what a ride. Could not put it down. ( )
  librarymary09 | May 24, 2014 |
I really liked this book at the start...following the thoughts of an assassin as he goes about his work. But half way through the book it was just like any other trashy crime book to me... shoot-ups every few pages, confusion in the print, thought and logic.

All these thriller type books seem to follow similar patterns. They get boring after a while to me. Bigger guns, bigger chase scenes and close calls where you really should be dead become common place.

A fast read, which I liked at first but that like waned as the book wore on. ( )
  Lynxear | May 23, 2014 |
Good story about a govt assassin with morals. Saves a 14 year old girl and solves all sorts of problems...almost too many. Listened on audio, almost hard to follow all the characters. ( )
  NHNick | May 2, 2014 |
Ah, but who is innocent? Will Robie, protagonist of David Baldacci’s The Innocent surely isn’t, as the first chapters reveal. A paid killer, he does at least seem to be on the side of the good guys. But suddenly he’s on the run, saving an orphaned teenager, who surely must be innocent, falling in love with the innocent girl next door, and trying to catch a murderer before his past catches up with him.

Short sharp sentences set the scene. Quick clear dialog propels the story. Investigation is as fast and furious as the action. Reader suspicions are confirmed or denied just quickly enough to keep the pulse racing and the pages turning. Robie’s intelligent as well as quick, he’s human as well as inhumanly well-trained, and he makes for a thoroughly enjoyable conflicted protagonist, happiest on his own, but suddenly faced with the possibilities and problems of having to care.

Suspenseful, fast-flowing, convincing and spare, the Innocent is a thoroughly enjoyable blend of mystery, suspense, action and investigation, and a really good read.

Disclosure: My husband really enjoyed it and I’m very glad he told me to read it. ( )
  SheilaDeeth | Apr 21, 2014 |

David Baldacciprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Kuipers, HugoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Te Lindert, JolandaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Will Robie had closely observed every one of the passengers on the short flight from Dublin to Edinburgh.

America has enemies--ruthless people that the police, the FBI, even the military can't stop. That's when the U.S. government calls on Will Robie, a stone cold hitman who never questions orders and always nails his target.
But Will Robie may have just made the first--and last--mistake of his career . . .
THE INNOCENT
It begins with a hit gone wrong. Robie is dispatched to eliminate a target unusually close to home in Washington, D.C. But something about this mission doesn't seem right to Robie, and he does the unthinkable. He refuses to kill. Now, Robie becomes a target himself and must escape from his own people.
Fleeing the scene, Robie crosses paths with a wayward teenage girl, a fourteen-year-old runaway from a foster home. But she isn't an ordinary runaway-her parents were murdered, and her own life is in danger. Against all of his professional habits, Robie rescues her and finds he can't walk away. He needs to help her.
Even worse, the more Robie learns about the girl, the more he's convinced she is at the center of a vast cover-up, one that may explain her parents' deaths and stretch to unimaginable levels of power.
Now, Robie may have to step out of the shadows in order to save this girl's life . . . and perhaps his own.

Will Robie, a freelance hitman working for the government, rescues a teenage girl whose parents' disappearance may be linked to a vast, high-level cover-up.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,699,164 books! | Top bar: Always visible