The Innocent by David Baldacci

The Innocent (edition 2012)

by David Baldacci

Member:bonnieclyde
Title:The Innocent
Authors:David Baldacci
Info:Grand Central Publishing (2012), Paperback, 448 pages

The innocent by David Baldacci

Recently added byJudithDCollins, landon1m, brnbarb

Excellent read, as usual with Baldacci's books. It took about 40-50 pages to really get into it, but from there on, the book was a "page-turner". ( )
  rondoctor | Nov 2, 2014 |
Baldacci is the perfect beachside read! Short, staccato chapters filled with action that moves quickly and holds your attention! This was the perfect book to kick off my oceanside reading!! If you look between the pages - you might even find a bit of sand! :)

Will Robie is an assassin and a very good one! He works for the secret side of the CIA and does his job completely and carefully! And then he stops. He is in the midst of a hit - and things don't feel right - for the first time he asks questions of himself before he pulls the trigger (flash to Jason Bourne on the boat in the dark!!) That hesitation puts in action a series of events that takes Robie out of automatic and into actually feeling! A place he has not visited for a long time.

Robie, being a thorough hitman, always has a backup plan and even a backup for the backup. This night he escapes to a bus that travels between Washington DC and NYC every night - the Outa There bus. While waiting for the bus to take him away to a safe spot he sees a young girl get on followed by an older man - someone clearly following her. In an attempt to save this girl from her attacker - Robie is surprised to see Julie (the girl) able to fight him off for a bit, and then they flee off the bus together - moments before the bus explodes into thousands of pieces.

So, against all of his training and preferences, Robie attempts to take care of Julie - yes this hardened, loner assassin begins to allow a tiny piece of his heart to feel again. It isn't a sweet sappy moment - but rather a shock to both Robie and the reader's system. But, it feels right!

This is a story of cold-blooded, ruthless people and the incredible lengths they will take to get what they want. It is also an intertwined mystery of conspiracy on an unbelievable level.

I greatly enjoyed the twists and turns and unexpected kindness of human beings!!
Read it!! ( )
  kebets | Nov 1, 2014 |
Typical of Balducci; full of twists and turns, some beleivable some not. An oiverall feeling of mailaise and the world is going to the dogs because some people have money and some do not. ( )
  WhitmelB | Sep 17, 2014 |
Good story, if totally implausible...but it will hold your interest. Little else to recommend it ( )
  catman46 | Aug 5, 2014 |
When I realized that other books, that shall remain unnamed here, are being gleefully accepted, hugged and devoured in mere hours, I said screw the hype. I have my own quiet, and genuinely good favorites. The book is about Will Robie and his priorities in ending and protecting life. Other characters are Julie Getty and Vance. There's a nifty trick that Baldacci has used a couple of times. It consist of showing a major coincidence, an unlikely event, and then show that it was all part of a plan.

Baldacci is not a universally revered author. If he was, he would be a household name. I suspect, no, I admit that his style is not universally renown, but it's terrifically compatible with me and other fans. The Camel Club was a stroke of brilliance, but for lightning to strike twice? It just means that while I was a fan, now I'm a fanboy. This type of authorship is what I've been looking for my whole life. I await the rest of Baldacci's work with perhaps the highest expectations I've had ever. ( )
  Jiraiya | May 29, 2014 |

David Baldacciprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Kuipers, HugoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Te Lindert, JolandaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Will Robie had closely observed every one of the passengers on the short flight from Dublin to Edinburgh.

America has enemies--ruthless people that the police, the FBI, even the military can't stop. That's when the U.S. government calls on Will Robie, a stone cold hitman who never questions orders and always nails his target.
But Will Robie may have just made the first--and last--mistake of his career . . .
THE INNOCENT
It begins with a hit gone wrong. Robie is dispatched to eliminate a target unusually close to home in Washington, D.C. But something about this mission doesn't seem right to Robie, and he does the unthinkable. He refuses to kill. Now, Robie becomes a target himself and must escape from his own people.
Fleeing the scene, Robie crosses paths with a wayward teenage girl, a fourteen-year-old runaway from a foster home. But she isn't an ordinary runaway-her parents were murdered, and her own life is in danger. Against all of his professional habits, Robie rescues her and finds he can't walk away. He needs to help her.
Even worse, the more Robie learns about the girl, the more he's convinced she is at the center of a vast cover-up, one that may explain her parents' deaths and stretch to unimaginable levels of power.
Now, Robie may have to step out of the shadows in order to save this girl's life . . . and perhaps his own.

Will Robie, a freelance hitman working for the government, rescues a teenage girl whose parents' disappearance may be linked to a vast, high-level cover-up.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,043,190 books! | Top bar: Always visible