The Innocent by David Baldacci

The Innocent (edition 2012)

by David Baldacci

Member:bonnieclyde
Title:The Innocent
Authors:David Baldacci
Info:Grand Central Publishing (2012), Paperback, 448 pages

The Innocent by David Baldacci

English (45)  Swedish (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (47)
I've always been a fan of spy/assassin stories. This is actually the first Baldacci novel I've ever read - I found the sequel, The Hit, at my local book trader and decided to get my hands on a copy of the first book before I read it. And I'm definitely glad I did.

Baldacci has a very simple writing style - the descriptions are there, the background info is there, but it's all done very quickly and efficiently. I've found that some novels of this genre become a little hard to follow, but because of the simplicity of the writing style, this book was very easy to follow and comprehend. I also like the fact that the chapters are short so it's easy to find a stopping point.

I loved the characters, and the continuous plot twists and suspense kept me hooked until the very end. ( )
  EJFisch | Feb 28, 2015 |
Baldacci does a wonderful job once again of creating an action-packed novel full of intrigue and suspense. This is the first book in the Will Robie series and he leaves off in a way that makes the reader want more. We get caught up in Robie's quest to keep himself, and a young girl that crosses his path, alive.

At the start of the book Robie decides not to finish a job, allowing people to live. While people are spying on him to verify completion of the job, they realize Robie's hesitance, and decide to finish the kill job for him. Unfortunately, this also puts Robie's life on the line as he finds himself a new target for the agency he has been employed by for years.

He comes across a young girl who seems to be in quite the predicament of her own. As the duo flee for safety they find they have something in common, as they are both running from the same assassins. As they fight to stay alive they learn to work together, solving the clues that could possibly end the madness.

Cassidy did a great job of narrating and there were even some sound effects to keep you on the edge of your seat. With themes of murder, mystery, and survival, you may enjoy this book as much as I did, especially if you are a Baldacci fan. I don't hesitate in recommending this book for either personal leisure or as a book club discussion. ( )
  jo-jo | Feb 15, 2015 |
A very nice book to read. Interesting plot, lots of action. Only in the end I got a hunch about whom Robie might be looking for.
For fans of the genre: recommended! ( )
  BoekenTrol71 | Jan 25, 2015 |
Own. Robie, an assassin for the US govt, teams up unwillingly with Julie, age 14, as they both run from different attackers. Or are they linked somehow? This is a nonstop thriller! ( )
  bereanna | Jan 10, 2015 |
Will Robie is an assassin, for the U.S. government. He has killed a lot of people, but things start to go wrong when he refuses to kill a target. As he flees the scene, he gets on a bus and sees a teenage girl who is about to be killed. He decides to intervene, but before he can, the girl saves herself. Shortly after both he and the girl get off the bus, it blows up. Now Robie doesn’t know if the bus exploded to kill him or 14-year-old Julie Getty. Although the street-wise girl says she doesn’t need help, he finds himself drawn to help her, even as he must help himself. When it turns out the assignment he refused wasn’t actually sanctioned, Robie finds himself in charge of hunting rogue agents, while trying to stay alive, and keep Julie alive. This is a fast action, thrilling novel in Baldacci’s best vein. ( )
  ktoonen | Dec 13, 2014 |

David Baldacciprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Kuipers, HugoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Te Lindert, JolandaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Will Robie had closely observed every one of the passengers on the short flight from Dublin to Edinburgh.

America has enemies--ruthless people that the police, the FBI, even the military can't stop. That's when the U.S. government calls on Will Robie, a stone cold hitman who never questions orders and always nails his target.
But Will Robie may have just made the first--and last--mistake of his career . . .
THE INNOCENT
It begins with a hit gone wrong. Robie is dispatched to eliminate a target unusually close to home in Washington, D.C. But something about this mission doesn't seem right to Robie, and he does the unthinkable. He refuses to kill. Now, Robie becomes a target himself and must escape from his own people.
Fleeing the scene, Robie crosses paths with a wayward teenage girl, a fourteen-year-old runaway from a foster home. But she isn't an ordinary runaway-her parents were murdered, and her own life is in danger. Against all of his professional habits, Robie rescues her and finds he can't walk away. He needs to help her.
Even worse, the more Robie learns about the girl, the more he's convinced she is at the center of a vast cover-up, one that may explain her parents' deaths and stretch to unimaginable levels of power.
Now, Robie may have to step out of the shadows in order to save this girl's life . . . and perhaps his own.

Will Robie, a freelance hitman working for the government, rescues a teenage girl whose parents' disappearance may be linked to a vast, high-level cover-up.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,927,817 books! | Top bar: Always visible