This Next New Year by Janet S. Wong

This Next New Year

by Janet S. Wong

I thought this was a really nice and entertaining book. This book is a family as it prepares to celebrate the Lunar New Year and looks forward to the good luck they hope it will bring. It's mostly about the young boy of the family as he gets himself ready to celebrate this Chinese New Year. I really liked how the writing of the book was organized and arranged. It starts off with the boy talking about his friends celebrate different new years because of their heritages. It talks about the American new year and the German new year. I thought that was very cool how it acknowledged how different cultures celebrate the same holiday but in different ways. I also really liked the illustrations of the book. The book illustrated children and people of different races. So many times books only depict white children so it's nice to see a wide range of races throughout the entire book. Finally, the point of view was one of a young boy. I think it's nice for children to see how a child of similar ages prepares for a new years celebration because it gives off a similar perspective. ( )
  johngipe | Dec 12, 2016 |
I love this book. It's about the Chinese New Year, or the lunar new year, and it emphasizes that anyone can celebrate this holiday, anyway you want. Throughout the story are children with different ethnicities celebrating the Chinese New Year in multiple ways.
For one, different Chinese traditions are shown throughout the story. An example is when the character says "This next new year is going to be good, the best year ever. I can feel it in my hand. They say you are coming into money when your palms itch," and shows a boy itching his hands with money all around him.
Although the book is describing a Chinese New Year, it explains that his friends also celebrate Chinese New Year, and they are French and German. This opens children's perspective on holidays, and helps them realize that although they're parents may be from different backgrounds, they can celebrate the same holiday.
The pictures in this book all represented main ideas of the story, with great detail and lots of colors. The different traditions explained had pictures with the text that described the text. On one page it explains that Evelyn is Hopi and part Mexican, but loves Chinese New Year because she likes to get red envelopes stuffed with money from her neighbors from Singapore. On the pages of the text, there are children holding red envelops, hugging each other, while one character is being handed the envelope by an elder women. The pictures help describe the different aspects of Chinese New Year to children who may not be exposed to different holidays and cultures, and they really help the reader understand the various ways to celebrate Chinese New Year. ( )
  emilymcnally | Nov 1, 2016 |
I have a high opinion of this book because it has great story line, vibrant illustrations, and cultural value. For me the strength of this book is in how the story is told. It is written in the point of view of the reader as if the reader is the one cleaning the room, eating the duk gook, and lighting the fireworks. This form of writing is appealing to me because it makes me feel as if I am experiencing all of the things in the book myself. The illustrations in the book were also great and followed well with the narration. ( )
  kvc62 | Apr 16, 2015 |
I liked this book! I liked it because of the multicultural aspect of it, as well as other reasons. One thing interesting that I noticed while reading this book is that the author would not put more than two lines together without double spacing. She would write two short lines, and then double space, and then two more. This was interesting to me and I found that it would be helpful for young and beginner readers to help them keep track of where they are reading. There was also some repetition in this book with the word "gone," when he is saying that all of his negativity and bad luck will be gone for this brand new year. I also noticed what I believed to be onomatopoeia. The author wrote out "pop pop pop pop pop pop" for when the firecracker went off. The illustrations in this book were bold and colorful, but I did not find them to enhance the text on the pages. Overall, it was a great book to read! ( )
  CRoss13 | Feb 23, 2015 |
The idea of this story is to enjoy holidays for what they are not for what you think you’ll get. I like this story because it forces the reader to envision the traditions of holidays from different cultures. A line in the book says, “… When we light the firecrackers at midnight to scare the bad luck away and wake up all the neighbors.” I like that the author uses a lot of description throughout the book, so the reader can really imagine what he is doing. The text says, “ I am cutting my nails and even cleaning the dirt out from the corners.” ( )
  Bwatso12 | Sep 24, 2014 |

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0374355037, Hardcover)

A spunky young boy makes plans for "this next new year" in Janet S. Wong's festive, truly engaging story of the Chinese Lunar New Year, celebrated annually in late January or early February. "And all day tomorrow, Lunar New Year's Day, I will not say one awful thing, none of that can't do/don't have/why me because this is it, a fresh start, my second chance, and I have so many dreams I'm ready now to make come true." So he flosses his teeth and helps his mom scrub the house "rough and raw so it can soak up good luck like an empty sponge," and plans to be brave when his family sets off firecrackers at midnight. The Chinese Korean boy tells us, in a funny, fresh, first-person voice, how his best friends, a German French boy and a Hopi Mexican girl, like to celebrate the Chinese New Year, too. Yangsook Choi's artfully composed, action-packed paintings add uplifting color to the happy spirit of the holiday, and an author's note provides more details about the Chinese New Year and Wong's childhood memories of the celebration. This delightful picture book makes a fine addition to the small collection of Chinese New Year books, distinguishing itself with the narrator's endearingly persistent quest for luck: "They say you are coming into money / when your palms itch, / and my palms have been itching for days. / My brother thinks it's warts, / but I know luck is coming." (Ages 4 to 8) --Emilie Coulter

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:05 -0400)

A family prepares to celebrate the Lunar New Year and looks forward to the good luck they hope it will bring.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,949,286 books! | Top bar: Always visible