Fairy Tale Interrupted: What JFK Jr. Taught…

Fairy Tale Interrupted: What JFK Jr. Taught Me About Life, Love, and Loss (2012)

by RoseMarie Terenzio

This memoir follows the life of RoseMarie as she starts to work for JFK Jr. and moves up from being a secretary for his magazine to his personal assistant, dear friend, and large part of his life. Her life as his assistant has a lot of glamorous parts, but her job becomes her life and RoseMarie dealt with a lot of stress daily and resentment from other magazine staffers. His and Carolyn's deaths dealt a huge blow to RoseMarie and left her feeling lost and without purpose.

I'm pretty sure this is the first memoir I've read, and going into it I knew very little about JFK Jr. (like the fact that he started a magazine). That being said, I really enjoyed this book. RoseMarie wrote in a way that made me feel as though I was reading fiction - I wasn't bored and I was very moved by a lot of the situations she wrote about.

However, many times she interrupted a story with another line of thought almost seamlessly, so when she moved back to the original story I felt lost because I'd completely forgotten her first point. The other, minor, detail I found annoying was the handwritten notes she included in her book. There weren't many and it was a great personal touch, but due to the notes being old and the handwriting a little messy, it was almost impossible for me to read them. I wish there had been a typed version as well. ( )
  MillieHennessy | Dec 26, 2013 |
This memoir by JFK Jr.'s personal assistant is both entertaining and poignant. Of course, we know how it ends, but it's fascinating to watch the development of Terenzio's coming of age as she changes from a scrappy young woman from the Bronx to a sophisticated Manhattanite who maneuvers in the fast lane. The inner view of John and Carolyn in their personal and professional lives will appeal to any celebrity voyeurs, and readers will feel like they knew these appealing people. For a reader from rural Maine, the expense and pace of these characters was eye-opening (and somewhat obscene!) ( )
  sleahey | Sep 26, 2012 |
Self serving book of time working for JFK jr. ( )
  latorreliliana | Apr 25, 2012 |
So much better than I had hoped! Not only do we get a peek into the world of JFK, Jr. while he was publishing George, but we also see a nuanced portrayal of what it is like to be someone who doesn't feel like they fit into the worlds of society, publishing, and politics, yet holds her own every bit of the way. I'm a huge Rosemarie Terenzio fan! ( )
  cherilove | Apr 5, 2012 |
Easy to read. Tells about Rosemarie Terenzio assistant to John F. Kennedy JR. up until his death. Tells many daily stories about their lives. Interesting. Easy flow. ( )
  wirtley | Apr 5, 2012 |

A former personal assistant to John F. Kennedy, Jr. shares the story of their professional relationship and close friendship, describing how she landed her job under less-than-ideal circumstances, Kennedy's political beliefs, and his untimely death.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,284,287 books! | Top bar: Always visible