Golden by Jennifer Lynn Barnes

English (13)  French (1)  All (14)
I really liked the way Golden ended, tying up loose ends but also leaving enough questions to make me want to read the sequel, Platinum. Golden is about Lissy, a girl from California, who is moving to Oklahoma. Each female member of Lissy's family has some form of "sight." In Lissy's case, she sees auras. Her life in her new high school is complicated by the "Goldens" who are the popular kids that bully all the "Nons," everyone else in school. Lissy isn't sure if she wants to be a "Golden" or a "Non" because the "Nons" she meets seem much easier to get along with and more down to earth. Her natural clumsiness; however, makes her seem destined to be a "Non." The mystery begins when Lissy promptly throws up and passes out the first time she sees her new math teacher. Even though everyone tells her how wonderful he is, his aura tells Lissy something completely different.
The one problem I had with this story, was that as much as Lissy wanted to appear "normal" to others, she seemed to spend an awful lot of her time obsessing over the auras she saw surrounding everyone around her. Otherwise, I enjoyed Lissy's attempts to navigate the overdeveloped social scene of her new high school and her struggle to figure out the mystery of Mr. Kissler. ( )
  Mrslabraden | Jun 18, 2016 |
This one grew on me and I'm looking forward to reading the sequel, Platinum. ( )
  zuzamiller | Feb 3, 2016 |
  zuzamiller | Feb 3, 2016 |
The beginning is slow, but once you get into it, Golden is a novel that is hard to put down. There were revelations that actually surprised me once the mystery started to unravel. Because while this is very much your typical unpopular-girl-trying-to-navigate-her-way-through-high-school sort of book, it also has a rather intriguing mystery attached to it. I was definitely more interested in this than Lissy's analyses about how much of a freak she is, so it's a good thing that the mystery takes over in the latter half of the novel.

While it's a good story, it's apparent that the author was nineteen when she wrote this. The characters lack complexity and a lot of the conflict is superficial. I know it's probably supposed to be the point that all the "Goldens," or popular kids, at the high school are unintelligent and shallow, but I like to have a little more realism in the characters I read about. The only interesting character is Lilah, the leader of the "Goldens" because she's hard to figure out.

Even though I don't usually like music and sound effects in audiobooks, I did like the music that signaled the end of every section. It was different each time and perfectly complemented the tone of the story at the time. The integration is so well done that I hardly noticed that there was background music playing (which is a sign of a good soundtrack, in my opinion). Jenna Lamia also does a good job in portraying Lissy. I was sure she was a high school student, which turned out not to be the case.

I would say that Golden is a good beach read. It's quick, has a decent plot, and a really good ending. Young adult paranormal fans -- this one's for you! ( )
  sedelia | Oct 27, 2011 |
Reviewed by Jocelyn Pearce for TeensReadToo.com

Jennifer Lynn Barnes wrote GOLDEN when she was only nineteen, but you can't tell that by reading this book. It doesn't seem like a teenager wrote it (not that all teenagers are bad writers, but most think they're way better than they actually are), but an experienced author. In the novel, Lissy James' family moves to California from Oklahoma. Big deal. Lots of people move. Lissy's move, however, is a little different.

There are two major dramas she has to deal with in her life. One is the typical teen-movie sort of high school thing: everyone in her high school is separated into two groups. Goldens are the popular ones, Nons are everyone else. She's got to understand that and decide which side she falls on.

She may not have much of a choice, though, if her Aura Vision gets in the way of things. In her family, the women have powers to see things differently from most people, and Lissy can see people's auras. If that's not freaky enough, her powers are expanding so that she can see more, even the connections between people. Possibly, she thinks, the fault of her grandmother.

Every part of this book is great. The characters are interesting (with way more to them than meets the eye, which is nice, not to have everything right at the surface). The plot as well. Perhaps teenagers in an ordinary world with magical powers are becoming rather common in young adult literature, but this book is one of the better ones of that type. Anyway, it's a good thing to write about. Popular, and you can usually get a good story out of it. This author sure did!

In this story, there's evil. There's magic. There's the popular crowd versus the losers. Even a hint of romance. Basically, take elements from lots of popular teen books, put them together, and you have a great book: GOLDEN. Not only is it a fabulous first novel, but it's written by a brilliant new author. I'm certainly looking forward to reading Jennifer Lynn Barnes' next book! ( )
  GeniusJen | Oct 11, 2009 |

When Lissy James moves from California to Oklahoma, she finds herself in the middle of a teenage nightmare: a social scene to rival a Hollywood movie. And if understanding the hierarchy of the Goldens vs. the Nons isn’t hard enough, Lissy’s ever growing Aura Vision is getting harder and harder to hide, and if she’s not careful, she’s going to become a Non faster than you can say “freak.”

But it’s becoming clear that Emory High has a few secrets of its own. Around the halls, the term “special powers” goes way beyond one’s ability to attract the opposite sex, and there may be something more evil than the A-crowd lurking in the classrooms. Lissy can see a lot more than the average girl, but she’s about to learn the hard way that things aren’t always as they appear and you can’t always judge a girl by her lip gloss.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:37 -0400)

When her family moves to Oklahoma from California, high school sophomore Lissy uses her ability to see other people's auras to try to uncover and stop the sinister activities of a teacher at her new school.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,059,001 books! | Top bar: Always visible