Sahara by Clive Cussler

Sahara (1992)

by Clive Cussler

Series: Dirk Pitt (11)

English (19)  Dutch (2)  Spanish (1)  All languages (22)
Another entertaining adventure mystery! I was a bit surprised at how coldly Dirk and Al dispatched the villains of the story. They usually aren't quite so eager to kill. I guess if you're a super villain you don't want to get on their bad side. ( )
  pussreboots | Oct 12, 2014 |
During the closing days of the Civil War a Confederate ironclad runs the Union gauntlet, the enemy guns silenced as a highly recognizable figure steps out on the ironclad’s deck. In the mid 90’s a Saharan tourist group disappears. 5 days later, Dirk Pitt comes across a beautiful woman alone on a North African beach and saves her from would be assassins.

Couple that with a red tide spreading across the globe that will, in a matter of months, extinguish all life on Earth by depriving the atmosphere of oxygen.

So begins an adventure that will send Dirk Pit and Al Giordino on a life-threatening romp across the desolation of the Sahara that rivals the best that Clive Cussler has to offer. It is an intriguing tale employing a cast of characters Cussler readers have come to know well.

The only aspect of this novel I wasn’t pleased with is the same issue I’ve had with Cussler’s other novels: The plot prop of waiting until the last possible second before they cut the right wire… In this case, Dirk and Al are taking their last step across a barren wasteland, having consumed no water or food for at least two days while enduring torturous temperature swings from the ice cold of night to the frying pan heat of the day. Here they are, both on death’s door, not an ounce of energy remaining when they stumble across a downed aircraft. Somehow they are able to build a land yacht from the wreckage and sail another day across the desert sands to where a truck driver miraculously appears, just when they have, once again, reached death’s door.

All I can say is, please Clive, give us readers a break. You write great tales and they don’t need a constant feed of TVesque ‘a moment beyond the last possible second’ scenarios to make the read great. I know this is fiction and meant to simply entertain, but I’d much rather see these tales a tad more realistic. Sure, bring things to a boil, edge of your seat, but not every transcendental moment requires this kind of prop.

Overall this was an entertaining read, perhaps one of the best, and I do appreciate Clive sharing his creative talents with us. However formulaic they are. ( )
  DavidLErickson | Sep 9, 2014 |
I saw the movie & then read the book. It wasn't bad, but was definitely a candy read. A lot of unlikely events come together to make this a non-stop thriller. Suspension of disbelief is a must from the get go, but there is enough logic overall to make it enjoyable. Pitt reminds me of a modern James Bond from the movies - not the books - in that he's the man's man, equally at home underwater or climbing a mountain, with top skills in just about everything, handsome, witty, & .... Well, you get the picture.

Cussler is definitely a writer to read rather than listen to as I realized with [b:Atlantis Found|41707|Atlantis Found (Dirk Pitt, #15)|Clive Cussler|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1309210732s/41707.jpg|255727] (although that entire plot was a train wreck). He's not a great writer, rather too wordy for me & those words often get him into trouble.

One of these days I might get around to reading one of the earlier books in the series, but I certainly won't read any later ones. I can't say with any certainty, but it seems to me that Cussler is cranking them out & getting wilder ideas as the series goes on. ( )
  jimmaclachlan | Aug 18, 2014 |
I listened to this book and it was another Dirk Pitt adventure with all that entails. This is one of the longer ones, which only means it gives Dirk and Al a lot more time to get into more trouble only to find their way back out again. The science was pretty bad in this one and it was a rather overt attempt at persuasion for going green. While I try to be green myself, this was a bit of a club over the head.

Dirk and Al are sent up the Niger river to try and locate the source of chemical pollutants that are creating a red tide of epic proportions and could threaten the health of the entire planet. Eva a doc with WHO is going to Mali to look for what is making thousands ill. A billionaire and a corrupt general have secrets to hide one has the money the other the forces to try and keep the secrets. ( )
  readafew | Oct 10, 2013 |
SUMMARY: 1996, Egypt. Searching for a treasure on the Nile, DIRK PITT thwarts the attempted assassination of a beautiful U.N. scientist investigating a disease that is driving thousands of North Africans into madness, cannibalism, and death. The suspected cause of the raging epidemic is vast, unprecedented pollution that threatens to extinguish all life in the world's seas. Racing to save the world from environmental catastrophe, Pitt and his team, equipped with an extraordinary, state-of-the-art yacht, run a gauntlet between a billionaire industrialist and a bloodthirsty West African tyrant. In the scorching desert, Pitt finds a gold mine manned by slaves and uncovers the truth behind two enduring mysteries -- the fate of a Civil War ironclad and its secret connection with Lincoln's assassination, and the last flight of a long-lost female pilot....Now, amidst the blazing, shifting sands of the Sahara, DIRK PITT will make a desperate stand -- in a battle the world cannot afford to lose! ( )
  Hans.Michel | Sep 13, 2013 |

Cussler, Cliveprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Middelhauve, DörteTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Prichard, MichaelNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
White, CraigCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
In deep appreciation to Hal Stuber, Ph.D. (environmental chemist) of James P. Walsh & Associates, Boulder, Colorado, for sorting out the hazardous waste and keeping me within acceptable limits.
She seemed to float above the ghostly evening mist like a menacing beast rising from the primeval ooze.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0671521101, Mass Market Paperback)

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:39:24 -0400)

A deadly toxic compound in the African desert is killing thousands of people and threatens to extinguish marine life in the world's seas. As Dirk Pitt crosses the Sahara, he uncovers the truth about an Australian pilot missing since 1931, and a secret held in a Confederate ironclad.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,051,356 books! | Top bar: Always visible