Iceberg (Dirk Pitt Adventure) by Clive…

Iceberg (Dirk Pitt Adventure) (edition 2004)

by Clive Cussler

Member:Wyatt41
Title:Iceberg (Dirk Pitt Adventure)
Authors:Clive Cussler
Info:Berkley (2004), Edition: Reprint, Mass Market Paperback, 384 pages

Iceberg by Clive Cussler

English (14)  Spanish (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (16)
Great entertaining read!! ( )
  hredwards | Sep 24, 2012 |
This book was a fun rump, but Pitt was borderline a Mary Sue. He always seems to be one step ahead of most people and can accomplish the almost physically impossible. While it's a fun 'good guys triumph over bad' story it gets a little extreme, almost Dan Brownish...

Saying all that I had fun listening to it and I plan on listening to more of them. They are great entertainment on long drives, or commuting. Pitt pretends to be gay in this one in order to loll the main villain into underestimating his abilities.

Pitt is sent to help a scientist find a ship that was frozen into an iceberg. The iceberg had been marked with dye, but someone didn't want them to find it to soon, so had actually removed it to 'hide' it back among the other icebergs. After finding it, Pitts life became much more complicated. ( )
  readafew | Jun 29, 2012 |
Love the behind the scenes look at Disneyland and the Pirates of the Carribean. ( )
  macjest | Dec 9, 2011 |
As the blurb on the rear cover hints; "Here was a sea mystery to rank with the Bermuda Triangle and the Marie Celeste..."

Well sort of except that the Triangle and Celeste are believable...but they were right one thing, it ranks.

When I started this I had some high hopes of it - a mystery ship is found entombed in an iceberg by the Coast Guard. Cool, sounds like a story. It covers espionage, assasination, a Utopian society, and skullduggery found only in modern politics which involves some of the most powerful people in the world. But as is so often the case, money and power are no match for common folk like you and me, and when these villans realise that maybe they will stop doing evil and combine their efforts for the common good...that was sarcasm, by the way.

Enter stage-left, Major Dirk Pitt - a chaeuvenistic blend of Bruce Willis and MacGyver, a man who possesses almost God-like qualities and power, and has the sexual appetitie of both Kirk Douglas and Tiger Woods combined. Why this guy is still only a Major is anyone's guess. And I bet he gets shit pay too! Christ! He could make a fortune alone out of selling his story to the tabloids or something...This guy single handedly outwits the most powerful computer on earth, survives three attempts on his life, and beats a black-belt karate master with an upper cut. I think I could be in love with this guy, however I was somewhat bemused to find he can act the stereo-type gay one moment, and then yurn away transexual billionaires the next. I know, you are as confused as I am??? What or where was this story going? I didn't have the answers, but the only question for me was "When was it going to end?"

I finished this last night, but all night I couldn't help but think that I had heard or read the stroy somewhere before...and this morning I found it. Tucked away in the darkest recesses of one of my bookcases was a novel called Atlantis Found - funnily enough by Clive with his mate Pitt - and guess what? They stopped a (unbelievable) Utopian society then, too! Amazing!

Sorry folks, this story would go down as a must avoid, it stinks all the way from the Delta to the Deep Blue Sea...although still streaks ahead of Richard Laymon! Cussler, go back to archealogy, you'd be doing natural history and us book readers both a favour.

Next! ( )
  scuzzy | Oct 29, 2011 |
Typical Cussler. Good when you want to hide and empty your head. Usual for him. Same story different plot. Escapist. Modern pulp western. The kind of book you don't want anyone to know you read. On an e-reader others may not know what your reading, thus avoiding aknowlwdging you induldge in equivlant of male "romance" novels.

Summary may fit for his other books as well.
  77book | Aug 15, 2011 |
This one is for Barbara,
whose enduring patience somehow sees me through.
The drug-induced sleep wore off into nothingness,and the girl began the agonizing struggle back to consciousness.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0425197387, Mass Market Paperback)

Frozen inside a million-ton mass of ice-the charred remains of a long missing luxury yacht, vanished en route to a secret White House rendezvous.  The only clue to the ship's priceless-and missing-cargo: nine ornately carved rings and the horribly burned bodies of its crew.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:22:04 -0400)

A mysterious ship sealed fast in a giant North Atlantic iceberg becomes the cause and focus of Air Force Major Dirk Pett's investigation into international conspiracy and terror.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,092,460 books! | Top bar: Always visible