Vixen 03 by Clive Cussler

Info:
Rating:**
Tags:fiction

Vixen 03 by Clive Cussler

Recently added byRoBRaYLeV, IslandDave, Tenb, DavenportLibraryWA, alevins, private library

English (9)  Dutch (2)  Danish (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (13)
Review 泥irk Pitt [is] oceanographyテつ痴 answer to Indiana Jones.テつ氾つ輸ssociated Press Product Description
  1. Vixen 03 is down. Theテつテつplane, bound for the Pacific carrying thirty-sixテつテつDoomsday bombsテつ幼anisters armed with quick-deathテつテつgerms of unbelievable potencyテつ要anishes. Vixen hasテつテつin fact crashed into an ice-covered lake inテつテつColorado. 1988. Dirk Pitt, who heroically raisedテつテつthe Titanic, discovers the wreckage ofテつテつ_Vixen 03_. But two deadly canistersテつテつare missing. They're in the hands of a terroristテつテつgroup. Their lethal mission: to sail a battleshipテつテつseventy-five miles up the Potomac and blastテつテつWashington, D.C., to kingdom come. Only Dirk can stopテつテつthem.
  Hans.Michel | Sep 13, 2013 |
Another Dirk Pitt adventure. I enjoy listening to them quite a bit. But I admit that they are all very similar. The same kinds of things happen in similar ways in every book, but in a way that is what makes them fun. Not a whole lot of thinking is required which makes them ideal for listening in the car while commuting.

This one Pitt discovers a plane that had crashed into a lake shortly before Korea that happened to have a payload of the most deadly biological weapon ever discovered by man. He also discovered it was missing some of the ordinance. Finding it before they are used is paramount.

The white South African government is dealing with an insurgence by a warlord trying to topple them with minimal directed carnage. It appears to be working and the South Africans are starting to get worried. Some have even started drastic steps to prolong their rule. Just how far are some people willing to go to get and hold power? These two stories collide and millions of lives are at stake. ( )
  readafew | Jul 8, 2013 |
Vixen 03 flips back and forth between Dirk Pitt's discovery of a plane wreck in a Colorado lake and a civil war brewing in South Africa. The connection between the two is pretty clever, but unfortunately, the portions of the book that focus on the South African plot just drag. For a while, I forgot I was even reading a Dirk Pitt novel. Dirk's sections flew by in excitement, but the rest just did not mesh. After enjoying [book: Raise the Titanic] so much, I was surprised by how much of a step backwards this book took. Glancing over some reviews online, there seems to be a consensus that this is Cussler's weakest novel, so I'm expecting to be back on track with his next book in the series.

As a side note, there is stuff in here that seems racist, but I had a hard time deciding if I should be offended. Unlike some books, it was hard to tell if the comments were the author's voice or not. And, more to the point, since this was written in the '70s before I was born, and before the current PC era, I'm unsure that I should apply my 2008 views to it. At this point I figure that it's a product of an era that I never experienced. ( )
  BrookeAshley | May 23, 2013 |
Another of the books sounded good to me. This one deals with a plane that goes down in the Colorado mountains back during Eisenhower's presidency. It's carrying a top secret cargo. When the plane can't be found, the whole mission is tucked away in a vault never to be heard from again. Then parts of the plane are found and things start to get interesting. ( )
  macjest | Mar 6, 2012 |
I think this is the point where Cussler starts to hit his prime with the Dirk Pitt series. Dirk has grown out of most of his early ultra-misogynistic tendencies, and is even showing some serious feelings for Congresswoman Loren Smith. In fact, he is spending some 'alone time' with her at her father窶冱 cabin in Colorado when he makes a series of discoveries that lead him to the wreck of Vixen 03, an Air Force plane that had been presumed lost in the Pacific over 30 years previously. What you really don窶冲 expect is for this aircraft to eventually tie in to the fight against Apartheid in South Africa and an aggrieved retired Royal Navy captain. There窶冱 not a lot of NUMA in this, though there are a couple of appearances by Al Giordino and Admiral Sandecker. You do get one of Cussler窶冱 usual big finishes, complete with all of the unbelievability and close calls that make this series so much fun to read. ( )
  miyurose | Oct 22, 2009 |
To the Alhambra High School Class of '49,

who finally held a reunion.
The Boeing C-97 Stratocruiser bore the look of a crypt.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0553273906, Mass Market Paperback)

1954. Vixen 03 is down. Theツツplane, bound for the Pacific carrying thirty-sixツツDoomsday bombs -- canisters armed with quick-deathツツgerms of unbelievable potency -- vanishes. Vixen hasツツin fact crashed into an ice-covered lake inツツColorado. 1988. Dirk Pitt, who heroically raisedツツthe Titanic, discovers the wreckage ofツツVixen 03. But two deadly canistersツツare missing. They're in the hands of a terroristツツgroup. Their lethal mission: to sail a battleshipツツseventy-five miles up the Potomac and blastツツWashington, D.C., to kingdom come. Only Dirk can stopツツthem.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:50:37 -0400)

1954, Vixen 03 is down. The plane, bound for the Pacific carrying thirty-six Doomsday bombs-canisters armed with quick-death germs of unbelievable potency-vanished. Vixen has in fact crashed into an ice-covered lake in Colorado. 1968, Dirk Pitt, who heroically raised the Titanic, discovers the wreckage of Vixen 03. But two deadly canisters are missing. They're in the hands of a terrorist group. Their lethal mission; to sail a battleship seventy-five miles up the Potomac and blast Washington, D.C., to kingdom come. Only Dirk can stop them ...… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,411,546 books! | Top bar: Always visible