Vixen 03 by Clive Cussler

Info:Bantam (1981), Paperback, 359 pages
Rating:**
Tags:fiction

Vixen 03 by Clive Cussler

Recently added byCherryHatchett, private library, Bridgey, BookHavenAZ, EmJ94, Ars972, nuvole, Music09, Reddog48

English (10)  Dutch (2)  Danish (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (14)
The first third and last third are GREAT, but it's the middle which is almost so strange as to seem like it was written by someone else (not that I would think it actually happened...). All in all 'Vixen 03' is an entertaining story, mixed with a 2nd story that is just barely connected to the rest of the novel. Good, but NOT Cussler's best. ( )
  Carol420 | May 31, 2016 |
Review 泥irk Pitt [is] oceanographyテつ痴 answer to Indiana Jones.テつ氾つ輸ssociated Press Product Description
  1. Vixen 03 is down. Theテつテつplane, bound for the Pacific carrying thirty-sixテつテつDoomsday bombsテつ幼anisters armed with quick-deathテつテつgerms of unbelievable potencyテつ要anishes. Vixen hasテつテつin fact crashed into an ice-covered lake inテつテつColorado. 1988. Dirk Pitt, who heroically raisedテつテつthe Titanic, discovers the wreckage ofテつテつ_Vixen 03_. But two deadly canistersテつテつare missing. They're in the hands of a terroristテつテつgroup. Their lethal mission: to sail a battleshipテつテつseventy-five miles up the Potomac and blastテつテつWashington, D.C., to kingdom come. Only Dirk can stopテつテつthem.
  Hans.Michel | Sep 13, 2013 |
Another Dirk Pitt adventure. I enjoy listening to them quite a bit. But I admit that they are all very similar. The same kinds of things happen in similar ways in every book, but in a way that is what makes them fun. Not a whole lot of thinking is required which makes them ideal for listening in the car while commuting.

This one Pitt discovers a plane that had crashed into a lake shortly before Korea that happened to have a payload of the most deadly biological weapon ever discovered by man. He also discovered it was missing some of the ordinance. Finding it before they are used is paramount.

The white South African government is dealing with an insurgence by a warlord trying to topple them with minimal directed carnage. It appears to be working and the South Africans are starting to get worried. Some have even started drastic steps to prolong their rule. Just how far are some people willing to go to get and hold power? These two stories collide and millions of lives are at stake. ( )
  readafew | Jul 8, 2013 |
Vixen 03 flips back and forth between Dirk Pitt's discovery of a plane wreck in a Colorado lake and a civil war brewing in South Africa. The connection between the two is pretty clever, but unfortunately, the portions of the book that focus on the South African plot just drag. For a while, I forgot I was even reading a Dirk Pitt novel. Dirk's sections flew by in excitement, but the rest just did not mesh. After enjoying [book: Raise the Titanic] so much, I was surprised by how much of a step backwards this book took. Glancing over some reviews online, there seems to be a consensus that this is Cussler's weakest novel, so I'm expecting to be back on track with his next book in the series.

As a side note, there is stuff in here that seems racist, but I had a hard time deciding if I should be offended. Unlike some books, it was hard to tell if the comments were the author's voice or not. And, more to the point, since this was written in the '70s before I was born, and before the current PC era, I'm unsure that I should apply my 2008 views to it. At this point I figure that it's a product of an era that I never experienced. ( )
  BrookeAshley | May 23, 2013 |
Another of the books sounded good to me. This one deals with a plane that goes down in the Colorado mountains back during Eisenhower's presidency. It's carrying a top secret cargo. When the plane can't be found, the whole mission is tucked away in a vault never to be heard from again. Then parts of the plane are found and things start to get interesting. ( )
  macjest | Mar 6, 2012 |
To the Alhambra High School Class of '49,

who finally held a reunion.
The Boeing C-97 Stratocruiser bore the look of a crypt.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0553273906, Mass Market Paperback)

1954. Vixen 03 is down. Theツツplane, bound for the Pacific carrying thirty-sixツツDoomsday bombs -- canisters armed with quick-deathツツgerms of unbelievable potency -- vanishes. Vixen hasツツin fact crashed into an ice-covered lake inツツColorado. 1988. Dirk Pitt, who heroically raisedツツthe Titanic, discovers the wreckage ofツツVixen 03. But two deadly canistersツツare missing. They're in the hands of a terroristツツgroup. Their lethal mission: to sail a battleshipツツseventy-five miles up the Potomac and blastツツWashington, D.C., to kingdom come. Only Dirk can stopツツthem.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:27 -0400)

1954, Vixen 03 is down. The plane, bound for the Pacific carrying thirty-six Doomsday bombs-canisters armed with quick-death germs of unbelievable potency-vanished. Vixen has in fact crashed into an ice-covered lake in Colorado. 1968, Dirk Pitt, who heroically raised the Titanic, discovers the wreckage of Vixen 03. But two deadly canisters are missing. They're in the hands of a terrorist group. Their lethal mission; to sail a battleship seventy-five miles up the Potomac and blast Washington, D.C., to kingdom come. Only Dirk can stop them ...… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,469,596 books! | Top bar: Always visible