Das Alexandria-Komplott by Clive Cussler

Das Alexandria-Komplott (original 1988; edition 1991)

by Clive Cussler, Frieder Middelhauve (Übersetzer)

Member:Ameise1
Title:Das Alexandria-Komplott
Authors:Clive Cussler
Other authors:Frieder Middelhauve (Übersetzer)
Info:Goldmann (1991), Taschenbuch
Collections:German, Read but unowned
Rating:***1/2
Tags:Clive Cussler

Treasure by Clive Cussler (1988)

English (12)  Dutch (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (14)
From Publishers Weekly When the great Library of Alexandria was ordered sacked in A.D. 391, could some of its fabulous art treasures and volumes from its magnificent library have escaped the flames and been ferried across the Atlantic? It's an improbable if intriguing notion, but probability is not the strong suit of this wild charade of a novel that features the greatest treasure hunt of all timesome 1600 years after the fabulous riches disappeared. The narrative also encompasses the bloody attempts of two supposedly religious fanatics (who turn out to be brothers in a "criminal dynasty") to seize power in Egypt and Mexico, respectively; the kidnapping of the legitimate presidents of those two countries aboard a cruise ship; and the dazzling exploits of the green-eyed Dirk Pitt, a super-James Bond type whom "no woman could completely possess." These exploits include tracking the cruise ship to Tierra del Fuego, defeating, with the aid of some Special Forces agents, hordes of Arab and Mexican terrorists in several brutal encounters, and locating and saving the treasure. It's essentially schoolboy stuff, and it leads one to surmise that Cussler, author of the bestselling Cyclops, may have been so intent on packing his tale with action that he forgot about credibility altogether. Paperback rights to Pocket Books; Literary Guild main selection.
Copyright 1988 Reed Business Information, Inc. Review Associated Press "There's 'treasure' to be found in Chive Cussler's iatest novel, and it's not the discovery of the golden casket of Alexander the Great.... The true treasure is Dirk Pitt." -- Review ( )
  Hans.Michel | Sep 13, 2013 |
I think it stinks !!! ( )
  moonfish | Jul 23, 2013 |
Dirk Pitt, ancient artifact discoverer extraordinaire is searching an ancient deepsea wreck for info about the Library of Alexandria when he finds himself drawn into a terrorist plot set on international unrest and upheaval in Egypt and Mexico. He picks up several love interests along the way and with his trusty band of sidekicks, goes toe to toe with a madman.

I won’t deny that the story was entertaining but it could have been so much better. If Cussler had made the characters believable and if the plot had less of a James Bond scope I would have enjoyed it more. There are action scenes of literally every type. There’s an airplane crash, a shipwreck explored, a car chase down a mountain, a battle in an air hanger, men scaling a mountain and climbing on board a ship. I find it difficult to believe that a man in the business of salvaging ancient antiquities would get involved in such zaniness. To be fair Indiana Jones did the same thing but for some reason it feels more believable taking place in the late 30s with Nazis coming out of the woodwork and fewer regulations on ancient sites and artifacts. Having the book take place in present day (1989) I expect more. Overall I would classify the book as a beach read, something to take on vacation if you don’t want to think too hard.

Dirk Pitt is super annoying as a protagonist because he's described as 'practically perfect in every way'. He's tall, handsome, smart, athletic and gets all the ladies. There were so many instances when the way he was described made him seem cartoonish because of how unbelievable it was. For example his eyes are described in a ridiculous manner. "They seemed to reflect hardness, gentleness and sincere concern in one glinting montage." How can eyes both reflect hardness and gentleness? It’s an impossibility! We are also led to believe that his piercing gaze makes women weak in the knees. The book is a harlequin romance written by a man with a protagonist so unrealistic it ruined the book and every other Dirk Pitt story for me. On that note I do have one more Clive Cussler/Dirk Pitt book in my library called ”Inca Gold” that I am very tempted to read and then dispose of. I don’t think it’s too much to ask that readers are treated with a degree of intelligence by the author and I felt that while the story contained political intrigue, the story itself was dumbed down.

The sad part is I only picked up this book because it mentioned discovering the lost Library of Alexandria on the dust jacket. The problem is the Library is in fact, a Macguffin. The reader is lulled into thinking the story will be about bringing back the literary treasures of the past but the library storyline soon fades into the background only to reemerge at the very end of the book. It felt as if Cussler smushed together two different books. We start with the Library but a large portion of the book is taken up with international terrorists.

The strange thing is I own ”Sahara”, a Dirk Pitt movie based on a book of the same name. It’s actually pretty decent. Good action, characters and plot. I’ll have to revisit it and review it on here to contrast how Dirk Pitt can be handled well as a character. If you’re looking for something to read on the plane that’s action oriented but not too deep, pick up this book. ( )
  theduckthief | Apr 16, 2012 |
NIL
  rustyoldboat | May 28, 2011 |
This is only the second Clive Cussler book I’ve ever read and to be honest I didn’t really enjoy the first one but a friend recommended this one and I thought I would give it a go …. I certainly thought it was better.
It is another Dirk Pitt story, the bucaneering and wise-cracking protagonist of a series of adventure packed thrillers and this book was certainly action-packed! Together with his wise cracking, comic sidekick Al Giordino they travel from Greenland to the tip of the Southern Americas foiling various plans to; stop Middle Eastern terrorists gaining control of the Egyptian government, to kill the leader of the UN, a world wide criminal families plans to gain control of Mexico and storm the borders to America and also discover the lost treasures (the ‘treasure’ of the title) from the library of Alexandria … and all in time to get back to wine and dine the alluring female scientist helping them … *phew*!
The story is fast paced with a lot happening to each character all around the world in a very short period of time which does make it rather an addictive page turner but ultimately by the end I thought the story was flagging, there just seemed to be too much going on, there were a lot of ideas and I think it might have been better to have concentrated on just one or two. I enjoyed the search for the lost treasure and also the idea of a criminal family trying to mastermind their way to positions of power and ultimately control of various countries but combine them together with various assisantion plots, a stolen ship full of kidnapped government officials and some cardboard characters (there seemed no time to introduce or describe the characters fully) and towards the end I was struggling a bit to finish it. ( )
  yosarian | Mar 24, 2011 |
In memory of Robert Esbenson. No man had a truer friend.
A small, flickering light danced eerily through the black of the tunneled passageway.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0671704656, Mass Market Paperback)

Charts of lost gold...breathtaking art and rare volumes...maps of hidden oil and mineral deposits that could change the world's balance of power. Now DIRK PITT discovers the secret trail of the treasures of Alexandria -- a trail that plunges him into a brutal conspiracy for total domination of the globe. Zealots threaten to unseat the governments of Egypt and Mexico, exposing America to invasion and economic collapse. Suddenly, from East to West, anarchists reach their deadly tentacles into the heart of the United States. And DIRK PITT, the hard-hitting hero of Clive Cussler's smash bestsellers Sahara and Inca Gold, is up against the most feared assassin known to man. An international band of terrorists is making its play for world power on the high seas -- and Pitt is the only man alive who can stop them!

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:34:53 -0400)

Dirk Pitt, a capable adventurer, seeks the ancient lost library of Alexandria, and a race to recover its precious recorded knowledge of gold and mineral deposits involves deadly plots, terrorism, and intrigue.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,781,931 books! | Top bar: Always visible