Trojan Odyssey (Dirk Pitt, 17) by Clive…

Trojan Odyssey (Dirk Pitt, 17) (edition 2003)

by Clive Cussler

1,790None3,951 (3.47)4
Member:moppety
Title:Trojan Odyssey (Dirk Pitt, 17)
Authors:Clive Cussler
Info:Putnam Adult (2003), Hardcover, 496 pages
Tags:Fiction, Thriller, Mystery, Adventure, Action, Nicaragua, NUMA, Treasure Hunting

Trojan Odyssey by Clive Cussler

English (15)  Spanish (2)  Dutch (2)  All languages (19)
NUMA stumbles across an evil plot to change the world’s climate and then does something about it.
I’m a committed fan of Clive Cussler. I’ve read at least a dozen of his books and all have proven to be entertaining. But though I’ve thoroughly enjoyed all Cussler’s novels (naturally some better than others), this one was disappointing.
As a writer I’m now stuck in edit mode, whether I’m watching a movie or reading a book, which means I’m incapable of just enjoying them without noting the problems with them. In this case, while the story is fairly generic (with edge-of-your-seat action), as Cussler novels go, this one just didn’t pull me in the way the others have.
One of the issues I have is that so much of what is included, as to the character’s backgrounds, etc., I’ve already been introduced to, so I skimmed most of the descriptions. Setting that aside, there was so much supporting detail that it detracted from the read. While it’s wonderful that Cussler knows all about the weapons spies use, what dive gear the characters prefer and what the rich eat, I’d have enjoyed the read more if he’d left a lot of that description out, or at least slimmed it down. In addition to too much detail, some of it is actually repeated, in detail, in at least 3 places.
I think Cussler could’ve shorted this novel by several thousand words just by deleting the add-on words, of which there is plenty.
Sorry to give some of the plot away, but any savvy reader will pick up on this in a heartbeat: I knew from the moment the baddest of the bad guys was introduced that Specter was a woman in a fat suit.

There was one glaring omission that really put me off. While rescuing Specter’s grand floating hotel for the uber-rich, Dirk and Al and the crew of the NUMA research vessel accomplish it when the eye of the hurricane calmed the seas, but then the worst of it – the backside of the storm, just vanished. Literary license, of course.
If I were to grade Cussler’s novels, I’d give ‘The Chase’ an A+ and ‘Trojan Odyssey’ a D. But that’s just my take on it. I have recently purchased 5 additional Cussler novels, so you can see this one didn’t put me off his stories altogether. I’m just disappointed with this one. ( )
  DavidLErickson | Nov 1, 2013 |
Dirk Pitt and Al Giordino, marine engineers become involved with a international conspiracy that relates back to ancient history 5000 years in the past.
Reading( or in this case listening) to a Cussler is like being on a speeding boat during a sea storm. You never know what is going to happen. His main characters get into all kind of scrapes but always survive. They are like every superhero or protagonist in every blockbuster Hollywood movie. It's unreal at times. I try to focus on the story and not the unrealistic characters. The story is usually interesting and cleverly includes some history, if not a re-telling of. This particular volume focuses on the theory of what if Odysseus' Odyssey was not about the Mediterranean Sea, but about his crossing of the North Atlantic. And what if Helen of Troy did not cause the Trojan war(the Spartans vs the Greeks) but the Celts vs Artheans and Danaans over the tin mines. This is actually the star of the book. But because the characters are so out there, the book on gets a 3. This might be why I can only read one Cussler every year or two... ( )
  FMRox | Jun 15, 2013 |
Firstly, open your skull and remove your brain. Cussler's adventures on the high seas have slowly ventured in to unrealistic waters over the years and Trojan Odyssey continues the trend. Readers prepared to suspend their disbelief will be propelled through a tale of Dirk Pitt's daring yarn spun out in Nicaragua as he fights the forces of Spectre - the uber-villain created for this novel.

Odyssey opens with a magnificent and thrilling action sequence, in which Pitt's children are the placed in to danger. This opener showcases great narrative skills from Cussler and the rest of the story doesn't live up to it, although it never stops trying. The cast is more diverse too, creating a wider opportunity for adventures, although there are some incredible coincidences to be pushed aside. It's standard adventure territory for the most and is somewhat predictable, although it maintains its sense of fun throughout. ( )
  SonicQuack | Sep 30, 2011 |
Number 17 in the Dirk Pitt adventure series.
  OSLCTopeka | Oct 14, 2010 |

Clive Cusslerprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Beretta, MarinaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
In loving memory of my wife, Barbara, who walks with the angels.
It was a setup, created with simplicity and an acute insight into human curiosity.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0425199320, Mass Market Paperback)

Long hailed as the grand master of adventure fiction, Clive Cussler has continued to astound with the intricate plotting and astonishing set pieces of his novels. Now, with a surprising twist, he gives us his most audacious work yet.

In the final pages of Valhalla Rising, Dirk Pitt discovered, to his shock, that he had two grown children he had never known-twenty-three-year-old fraternal twins born to a woman he thought had died in an underwater earthquake. Both have inherited his love of the sea: the girl, Summer, is a marine biologist; the boy, himself named Dirk, is a marine engineer. And now they are about to help their father in the adventure of a lifetime.

There is a brown tide infesting the ocean off the shore of Nicaragua. The twins are working in a NUMA(r) underwater enclosure, trying to determine its origin, when two startling things happen: Summer discovers an artifact, something strange and beautiful and ancient; and the worst storm in years boils up out of the sky, heading straight not only for them but also for a luxurious floating resort hotel square in its path.

The peril for everybody concerned is incalculable, and, desperately, Pitt, Al Giordino, and the rest of the NUMA(r) crew rush to the rescue, but what they find in the storm's wake makes the furies of nature pale in comparison. For there is an all-too-human evil at work in that part of the world, and the brown tide is only a by-product of its plan. Soon, its work will be complete-and the world will be a very different place.

Though if Summer's discovery is to be believed, the world is already a very different place...

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:43:46 -0400)

Underwater adventurer Dirk Pitt and the NUMA crew investigate a black tide infesting the ocean off Nicaragua, a study complicated by the discovery of a mysterious artifact, a powerful storm, and a conspiracy.

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,476,995 books! | Top bar: Always visible