Die Troja-Mission: Roman by Clive Cussler

Die Troja-Mission: Roman (edition 2006)

by Clive Cussler, Clive Cussler (Author), Oswald Olms (Übersetzer)

Member:CrazyTabasco
Title:Die Troja-Mission: Roman
Authors:Clive Cussler
Other authors:Clive Cussler (Author), Oswald Olms (Übersetzer)
Info:Blanvalet Taschenbuch Verlag (2006), Taschenbuch, 512 pages
Rating:**

Trojan Odyssey by Clive Cussler

English (18)  Spanish (2)  Dutch (2)  All languages (22)
Dit 17e deel uit de Dirk Pitt serie is weer een typisch Cussler verhaal; makkelijk te lezen, ongeloofwaardig verhaal, grappig.

In dit verhaal maken we kennis met de twee volwassen kinderen van Dirk Pitt, kinderen waarvan hij het bestaan niet wist, tot ze voor zijn deur staan na het overlijden van hun moeder.

EdwinKort | Jul 4, 2018 |
Dirk Pitt and the gang remain one of my favorite guilty pleasures, even though I've fallen a few books behind in the series. The plots are far-fetched, the plot holes are sometimes gaping, and the dialogue is often stilted. (Someone in this day and age referring to something as "heavenly"? Or a 24-year-old woman saying "I shall"?) But there is always some interesting science and speculative fiction behind the main plot, and this one is no exception. This time around, the historical question centers on whether the modern-day Turkey location is the true site of the ancient city of Troy, along with some interesting discussion of the ramifications of an alternative theory that gets presented as part of the narrative. And another thing that this one has, given that it's the 17th outing in the series, is some serious character development. In the last outing, Pitt met a couple of people whose existence had been unknown to him. This time around, there are more changes taking place in his life and the lives of some of those closest to him, as well. So that's all good. But honestly, the bad guy(s) in this one are silly, and their motivation is even sillier. And lastly, the whole thing reads as if it had originally been two (or more) separate stories that were cobbled together into one narrative. Not only because some of the transitions are awkward, but because, on more than one occasion, the reader is told the same thing that he has already been told earlier in the book. Several characters, for example, reappear later in the story and are introduced as if they were new characters. Pitt's home and its environs (an aircraft hangar filled with vintage automobiles and interesting knick-knacks) is a setting twice, and each time gets a similar introduction. Weird. It just seemed as if I was reading two (or more) separate and partial stories tied into one complete novel with some particularly bad editing, or else there were two writers writing different parts of the thing. ( )
  jimgysin | Jun 19, 2017 |
In the final pages of Valhalla Rising, Dirk Pitt discovered, to his shock, that he had two grown children he had never known-twenty-three-year-old fraternal twins born to a woman he thought had died in an underwater earthquake. Both have inherited his love of the sea: the girl, Summer, is a marine biologist; the boy, himself named Dirk, is a marine engineer. And now they are about to help their father in the adventure of a lifetime. ( )
  Tutter | Feb 26, 2015 |
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
  JosieRivers | Dec 28, 2014 |
NUMA stumbles across an evil plot to change the world’s climate and then does something about it.
I’m a committed fan of Clive Cussler. I’ve read at least a dozen of his books and all have proven to be entertaining. But though I’ve thoroughly enjoyed all Cussler’s novels (naturally some better than others), this one was disappointing.
As a writer I’m now stuck in edit mode, whether I’m watching a movie or reading a book, which means I’m incapable of just enjoying them without noting the problems with them. In this case, while the story is fairly generic (with edge-of-your-seat action), as Cussler novels go, this one just didn’t pull me in the way the others have.
One of the issues I have is that so much of what is included, as to the character’s backgrounds, etc., I’ve already been introduced to, so I skimmed most of the descriptions. Setting that aside, there was so much supporting detail that it detracted from the read. While it’s wonderful that Cussler knows all about the weapons spies use, what dive gear the characters prefer and what the rich eat, I’d have enjoyed the read more if he’d left a lot of that description out, or at least slimmed it down. In addition to too much detail, some of it is actually repeated, in detail, in at least 3 places.
I think Cussler could’ve shorted this novel by several thousand words just by deleting the add-on words, of which there is plenty.
Sorry to give some of the plot away, but any savvy reader will pick up on this in a heartbeat: I knew from the moment the baddest of the bad guys was introduced that Specter was a woman in a fat suit.

There was one glaring omission that really put me off. While rescuing Specter’s grand floating hotel for the uber-rich, Dirk and Al and the crew of the NUMA research vessel accomplish it when the eye of the hurricane calmed the seas, but then the worst of it – the backside of the storm, just vanished. Literary license, of course.
If I were to grade Cussler’s novels, I’d give ‘The Chase’ an A+ and ‘Trojan Odyssey’ a D. But that’s just my take on it. I have recently purchased 5 additional Cussler novels, so you can see this one didn’t put me off his stories altogether. I’m just disappointed with this one. ( )
  DavidLErickson | Nov 1, 2013 |

Clive Cusslerprimary authorall editionscalculated
Beretta, MarinaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
In loving memory of my wife, Barbara, who walks with the angels.
It was a setup, created with simplicity and an acute insight into human curiosity.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0425199320, Mass Market Paperback)

Long hailed as the grand master of adventure fiction, Clive Cussler has continued to astound with the intricate plotting and astonishing set pieces of his novels. Now, with a surprising twist, he gives us his most audacious work yet.

There is a brown tide infesting the ocean off the shore of Nicaragua. The twins are working in a NUMA(r) underwater enclosure, trying to determine its origin, when two startling things happen: Summer discovers an artifact, something strange and beautiful and ancient; and the worst storm in years boils up out of the sky, heading straight not only for them but also for a luxurious floating resort hotel square in its path.

The peril for everybody concerned is incalculable, and, desperately, Pitt, Al Giordino, and the rest of the NUMA(r) crew rush to the rescue, but what they find in the storm's wake makes the furies of nature pale in comparison. For there is an all-too-human evil at work in that part of the world, and the brown tide is only a by-product of its plan. Soon, its work will be complete-and the world will be a very different place.

Though if Summer's discovery is to be believed, the world is already a very different place...

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:27 -0400)

Dirk Pitt and his two grown children face danger and intrigue as they investigate a brown tide infesting the ocean off the shore of Nicaragua.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,754,886 books! | Top bar: Always visible