Cyclops by Clive Cussler

Cyclops (1986)

by Clive Cussler

English (13)  Dutch (1)  Spanish (1)  All (15)
I am also one of those people that believe this was neither bad or good.It was a slow starter for me and only took off towards the middle.It had enough action in it for me ti give its rating ( )
  jonathan21 | Mar 11, 2014 |
From Publishers Weekly Written in the bestselling style of Pacific Vortex! and Deep Six, and with the indestructible Dirk Pitt as its hero, this latest Cussler suspense caper features, and ingeniously connects, a maverick American colony on the Moon, a fabulous sunken treasure sought by an unscrupulous, blimp-owning financier, and two cunningly devised Soviet schemes, one to steal U.S. space secrets, the other to replace Fidel Castro with a Kremlin puppet, no matter what the cost in human lives. The nonstop action involves murder and torture as well as superpower politicking, and Pitt extricates himself from one desperate situation after another, even finding time for a little romance. The writing is brittle, but the reader is not likely to worry about that in a story whose plot resembles a box of exploding fireworks and poses some interesting questions regarding both Cuba and the militarization of space. Paperback rights to Pocket Books. February 7
Copyright 1986 Reed Business Information, Inc. Review Tom Clancy "Anyone who can put CYCLOPS down has a strongerwill than I have. Cussler at his best." United Press International "Downright good adventure... A sure winner!" New York Daily News "Get-to-the-next-page excitement... Dirk Pitt isa combination James Bond and Jacques Cousteau...." Stephen Coonts "Nobody does it better than Clive Cussler. Nobody." ( )
  Hans.Michel | Sep 13, 2013 |
Repeating what I've said before, this isn't the top of the list for Cussler novels for me, but it was one of the better ones.

I very much enjoy reading stories with characters I've come to like and plots that don't go where you think will. This is an enjoyable read, definitely geared for men, as it's populated with superheroes, beautiful women and bad guys so cold you look forward to them getting their comeuppance in the end.

Start with a murder aboard a blimp, a missing millionare and a sea mystery, and you have the start of a new Clive Cussler novel. Quite entertaining.

I've lost count of the Cussler novels I've read, but I do have 3 more waiting for me on my 'too read' pile.

Well worth the read, moved along at a good pace, enough mayhem to keep things hopping and guest appearance by the Castro brothers. Would more could you ask for? ( )
  DavidLErickson | Feb 15, 2013 |
This was the 6th novel from the Dirk Pitt series that I have read. I enjoy series. Many claim that they have no literary value since they aren't always capable of standing alone. I don't believe that and very much enjoy revisiting with favorite characters as they embark on new journeys. Dirk Pitt is essentially the James Bond of the sea and Clive Cussler's novels are rather heavily geared towards men. I like adventure and am a large fan of political incorrectness, even when directed towards women. This particular book included cosmonauts, a blimp and Fidel Castro. Random things coming together and working well, as it does here, makes me particularly giddy. I would have rated the book highter but I couldn't help comparing it to other books in the series and the female protagonist was unintentionally annoying. ( )
  TequilaReader | Oct 26, 2009 |
This was one of my favorite Clive Cussler books so far. I am a person who reads 4 or 5 books at a time but when I started this one I couldn't put it down, I put away all the others in order to finish this one. ( )
  fastawker | May 13, 2009 |
To the eight hundred American men
who were lost with the Leopoldville

Christmas Eve 1944 near Cherbourg, France.
Forgotten by many, remembered by few.
The Cyclops had less than one hour to live.

When a noted financial publisher and adventurer, Raymond LeBaron, sets off in an antique blimp in search of the Cyclops, a US Navy collier which vanished in mysterious circumstances in 1918 near Cuban waters - and which may have had on board a fabulous treasure ...
LeBaron and his crew also vanish, in circumstances that are at once puzzling and alarming and which lead a reluctant Dirk Pitt into one of the most extraordinary adventures of his career - an adventure that leads him step by step, in constant danger, to the discovery of a secret base on the moon, a Soviet plot against Castro that endangers the peace of the world, and the unveiling of the treasure itself ...

We see the behind-the-headlines facts of Star Wars and the Cold War with a compelling story of greed and passion - and a secret so amazing that it has been kept form the President of the United States himself. The bizarre chain of events that begins with LeBaron's disappearance explodes into a battle between the Soviet Union and the United States for possession of the moon and ends with a blazing, cliff-hanging race against time to prevent an awesome tragedy. It almost defeats Dirk Pitt and takes him from the inner councils of the White House to a confrontation with Fidel Castro himself ...

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0671704648, Mass Market Paperback)

A wealthy American financier disappears on a treasure hunt in an antique blimp. From Cuban waters, the blimp drifts toward Florida with a crew of dead men -- Soviet cosmonauts. DIRK PITT discovers a shocking scheme: a covert group of U.S. industrialists has put a colony on the moon, a secret base they will defend at any cost. Threatened in space, the Russians are about to strike a savage blow in Cuba -- and only DIRK PITT can stop them. From a Cuban torture chamber to the cold ocean depths, Pitt is racing to defuse an international conspiracy that threatens to shatter the earth!

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:38 -0400)

Dirk Pitt discovers a shocking scheme that involves U.S. industrialists putting a colony on the moon.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,293,207 books! | Top bar: Always visible