Golden Buddha by Clive Cussler
Recently added byTerryDiver, private library, Trevjenk, Rena37, BCUser, NanetteCook, TheYankeeIrregular

English (19)  Dutch (2)  Spanish (2)  German (1)  All (24)
This was a good book without being a great book. Being the first book in the series it was a good introduction to the many characters that make up the Corporation. It was interesting how the author tried to weave a real situation into the plot line, i.e. The Dalai Lama being in exile. It has caught my interest enough to continue reading on in the series, especially given the recommendations of people whose reading opinions I respect. I do feel the characters could do with a bit more fleshing out and I hope that will come in future books in the series. This book certainly took me around the world, now which country and city do I want to use for my Round the World Challenge! ( )
  Andrew-theQM | Jun 20, 2016 |
The Golden Buddha is the first book in The Oregon Files. The Oregon is a high tech, modern ship disguised as a rusting tramp steamer. Inside it's a different story. It's filled with state of the art equipment, luxurious cabins, and even a room filled with disguises. The Oregon is available for hire by any government who is interested in intelligence gathering, transporting, or “special assignment”. In this story the Oregon's captain, Juan Cabrillo, is hired to help return the Dalai Lama and the Golden Buddha to Tibet. Of course, that means they need to free Tibet from the forces of the Chinese, and they need the Russians to help too. The Oregon has a large crew and many of them will remind you of the characters on Mission Impossible. They are a group of mercenaries for hire, but they choose their missions with an eye to not only earning a profit, but trying to make a difference or right some wrongs from the past. One of the negatives of this book for me was that, with the exception of Cabrillo, you never really get to know any of them very well. That may be because this is the first book in the series and is more an introduction to the characters that any sort of development. The book is filled with non-stop action and the plot was very unique. The authors created some great battles, set in exciting locales, in an engrossing story. If you are looking for an exciting action/adventure novel, this is probably a book you would enjoy. " ( )
  Olivermagnus | Jun 16, 2016 |
A new Clive Cussler series for me. Different from the Dirk Pitt books I'm most familiar with, this has an ensemble cast. Yes, it still has the classic cars and the detailed technical descriptions, but you don't get the same character building. I am guessing that will happen as I get to know the members of the team better in later books. In any case, it was an interesting, enjoyable read that I would recommend to readers who enjoy action adventure (or as my favorite used bookstore labels it, Men's Fiction...lol)

Book Description: Juan Cabrillo's first adventure with the Oregon-a state of the art spy ship disguised as a nondescript lumber hauler-takes him and his crew into dangerous waters, as they try to put Tibet back in the hands of the Dalai Lama by striking a deal with the Russians and the Chinese. ( )
  bhabeck | Jun 4, 2016 |
Book Description Juan Cabrillo's first adventure with the Oregon-a state of the art spy ship disguised as a nondescript lumber hauler-takes him and his crew into dangerous waters, as they try to put Tibet back in the hands of the Dalai Lama by striking a deal with the Russians and the Chinese. Cabrillo's gambling chip is a golden Buddha containing records of vast oil reserves in the disputed land. But first, he'll have to locate-and steal-the all-important artifact. And there are certain people who would do anything in their power to see him fail...

My Review This was an entertaining adventure read but I would prefer a little mystery mixed with the adventure. The characters were interesting but too many to keep track of. The plot was a little confusing at times but came together in the end. I look forward to check out his Isaac Bell series as I feel I would enjoy that series better. ( )
  EadieB | Jun 1, 2016 |
The crew of the Oregon is the most dynamic and compatible group of patriots in print. I love the way Clive weaves the adventure to keep me turning pages late into the night, way past my bed time. I look forward to each new novel with great anticipation. Thanks for the wonderful adventures of the mind. ( )
  Carol420 | May 31, 2016 |

Clive Cusslerprimary authorall editionscalculated
Craig Dirgomain authorall editionsconfirmed
For my brothers Larry, Steve, Cliff and John, and my sister, Dawn, who never let a busy day get in the way of a good nap.
The flowers surrounding the summer palace of Norbulingka were closed but ready to blossom.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 042521818X, Mass Market Paperback)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:47 -0400)

Cussler, creator of the bestselling Dirk Pitt series, presents his latest and most intriguing high seas action hero: the enigmatic captain of the "Oregon," Juan Cabrillo. In his first feature-length adventure, it's up to Cabrillo to put Tibet back in the hands of the Dalai Lama by striking a deal with the Russians and the Chinese.… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,445,438 books! | Top bar: Always visible