The Last Boyfriend (Inn BoonsBoro Trilogy,…

The Last Boyfriend (Inn BoonsBoro Trilogy, Book 2) (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Nora Roberts

Member:Kwidhalm
Title:The Last Boyfriend (Inn BoonsBoro Trilogy, Book 2)
Authors:Nora Roberts
Info:Berkley Trade (2012), Edition: 1, Paperback, 352 pages
Collections:75 Book Challenge of 2012, Your library
Rating:***
Tags:Kindle

The Last Boyfriend by Nora Roberts (Author) (2012)

Recently added byTootz, ddzmini, WildPanda, bfear88, lkarr, annbell, lowekel, pprothro, private library, helynavery

English (43)  Piratical (1)  All languages (44)
I love Nora Roberts--her suspense novels, her "witchy" and spooky novels, her trilogies of whatever theme. I love them all. I know when I pick up one of her books, I'll be immersed in whatever town or universe she's created, I'll make friends with her characters, and I'll identify with the mom figure in the story. I don't read Nora if I'm looking for social commentary or a plot that makes me question the meaning of life.

Reading Nora, I might learn something along the way about gardening, or in this case running a pizzeria (or reconstruction projects, or opening an inn), but I read her books for enjoyment and a few moments of escapism. That's exactly what I got in "The Last Boyfriend," a good, solid love story with all the components of my favorite Nora stories.

It doesn't matter that I know from the start of the series that each of the girls will end up with one of the guys. It doesn't matter that pretty soon I'll be able to pair them up. What matters is that I like the characters and the setting, and I enjoy reading their journeys as they make their way to HEA-ville.

"The Last Boyfriend" was no exception.

LeahDee | Jan 24, 2016 |
O dear. Another sales/decorating brochure. If I wasn't a long time fan of NR I would have given up on this book before page 40. Luckily it improved a little bit after a while, but it was still far, far below her usual standard. Too much research, not enough emotion, tension etc.
Again - apart from a short scene nearly at the end of the book - there's no tension between the main characters. They glide into love effortlessly... boringly. There's barely any story there.
Sniff, I want the old Nora back.

2,5 stars ( )
  Marcella1717 | Jan 22, 2016 |
"It’s not about spine. It’s about love and faith, and hope, I guess. I watched my brother marry Clare, and I knew I wanted that. I’ve always wanted it, but I thought, sure, eventually. Eventually I’d settle in, settle down, make a family. It’s eventually, Avery, because the other thing I know is eventually never came until you. It’s always been you. My first girlfriend." - Owen Montgomery

There's nothing better for the end of summer than a good ol' NR romance. And Owen's book was just sweet enough to brighten this bookworm's days lately.

Owen Montgomery and Avery MacTavish have been close friends since forever. But when a certain matchmaking ghost causes an incident that leads to a kiss between the two, a spark they didn't know existed comes to life. Suddenly, things that they admired and liked about each other start bringing them even closer. Still, Avery has some issues to work out before she can truly accept the happy ever after Owen is offering her.

While Owen and Avery were not a couple that had many ups and downs, I found myself enjoying their story a lot.

For one, NO DRAMA! Yes, it's interesting whenever it's around, but it's nice to just have a book where things go smoothly for the most part once in a while. It feels like... home. Sweet and warm, and funny and lively. Those two were meant to be, just like almost every NR pair, of course, and it was glaringly obvious in the story.

Still, Roberts never lets us down in terms of storytelling. While there was no "bad person" here to try and break the two or harm any one of them, there was some tension and a couple of psychological issues to be solved. It wasn't hard, by no means, but it certainly wasn't as easy as one might think. It was calm, though, and full of friendship and understanding and love, and that's the most important thing to remember.

Avery was a little ray of sunshine, buzzing with energy and always making others smile and cheer up. She was messy and way too spontaneous, but that's what made her perfect for Owen, who was some sort of a control freak. They balanced each other out.

Owen, on the other hand, was patient and understanding, and while he was awkward because he knew Avery mattered and he wanted everything to be right and perfect, he was adorable in his attempts to be cool about the whole thing but failing miserably. Plus, that scene where he realized he wanted to marry Avery... God, the cuteness overload was too much! Ryder did ruin it a bit with his humor, but hey, I still love the big oaf.

Speaking of Ry, his book is next - my IT of the trilogy! I can't wait to get my hands on him - errr, I mean his book!!!

"You make my heart flutter, Owen. You always did. I got used to it—and maybe getting used to it I didn’t value it enough. When we started to be with each other, it was more than a flutter. Something more, and I didn’t know what to do with it. No one else ever made me feel the way you did—do. I thought something was missing in me because I couldn’t FEEL enough. But the only thing missing was none of them were you." - Avery MacTavish ( )
  Lydia_Perversius | Sep 10, 2015 |
Owen Montgomery,
Avery McTavish

Beckett Montgomery, Clare Brewster,Ryder Montgomery, Hope Beaumont

I love this family. Avery has some issues and who can blame her but thank goodness she has Owen. ( )
  bookjunkie57 | Apr 17, 2015 |
This second book in the series is an easy, light, enjoyable read. The edge from the first book didn't seem to materialize in this one. I think Hope and Ry could be an interesting story. ( )
  oldriverbooks | Mar 2, 2015 |

Roberts, NoraAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Andrews, MacLeodNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Meet the Montgomery brothers - Beckett, Ryder, and Owen - as they bring an intimate Bed-and-Breakfast to life, in their hometown.

The historic hotel in Boonsboro, Maryland, has endured war and peace, the changing of hands, and even rumored hauntings. Now it’s getting a major face lift from the Montgomery brothers and their eccentric mother.

Owen Montgomery is the organizer of the Montgomery clan, running the family's construction business with an iron fist - and an even less flexible spreadsheet. And though his brothers bust on his compulsive list-making, the Inn BoonsBoro is about to open right on schedule. The only thing Owen didn't plan for was Avery McTavish... Avery's popular pizza place is right across the street from the inn, giving her a first-hand look at its amazing renovation - and a newfound appreciation for Owen. Since he was her first boyfriend when they were kids, Owen has never been far from Avery's thoughts. But the attraction she's feeling for him now is far from innocent. As Avery and Owen cautiously take their relationship to another level, the opening of the inn gives the whole town of Boonsboro a reason to celebrate. But Owen's hard work has only begun. Getting Avery to let down her guard is going to take longer than he expected - and so will getting her to realize that her first boyfriend is going to be her last...

 Edit

Working alongside his mother and brother restoring a historic hotel in Boonsboro, Maryland, Owen Montgomery falls for a childhood friend.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,237,459 books! | Top bar: Always visible