Homage to Catalonia by George Orwell

Homage to Catalonia (1938)

by George Orwell

English (56)  Spanish (4)  Dutch (2)  French (2)  Catalan (1)  All languages (65)
Orwell's classic account of fighting on the Republican side of the Spanish Civil War in the first half of 1937. Not only does one get an intense feel for what it was like fighting (even though Orwell saw comparatively little combat, being in a static sector), he gives a very interesting eyewitness account of the political wrangling among the various Loyalist factions; Orwell fought in a POUM militia, which ended up being one of the losers in the internal struggle. Very readable, and in fact, you'll get a clearer idea of what was going on in the civil war more than in many much longer books; "Spain in Our Hearts," for example, quotes extensively from the account. Very highly recommended. ( )
  EricCostello | Aug 21, 2018 |
I received this book as a gift at around the same time as I had started Hemingway's "The Fifth Column and Four Stories of the Spanish Civil War". I must say I was impressed by Orwell's (or should I say Blair's) writing style as it seemed very distant from 1984. I found it difficult to put Homage down despite being very busy with work and other pressing issues. Nevertheless, I intend to explore the rest of Orwell's work. It is a real shame that he died at such a young age. One can only wonder whether such genius had more to offer or otherwise simply ran out of steam. Regardless, I am rather grateful for being gifted such an important work. ( )
  madepercy | Nov 7, 2017 |
The book is a fascinating look into George Orwell's experiences as a volunteer in the Spanish Civil War. His naivety and subsequent disillusionment are portrayed with honesty. He explores the stupid, chaotic activities that constitute war. His expression on the cover says it all. Its worth reading for insight into Orwell's philosophical development and Catalonia's psyche. ( )
  77nanci | Aug 18, 2017 |
Reading for school. ( )
  amhotz | Feb 3, 2017 |
I first read Homage to Catalonia in college,more than forty years ago. It was a seminal book for me and lead me to read everything by Orwell I could find. When my book club decided to read this, I was overjoyed but a little worried that it would not live up to my memory of it. In fact, it is better than I remembered. As a college student, I plowed uncomprehending through the chapters on the politics of the Loyalists, but this time around I found them fascinating. I had also forgotten how well Orwell depicts the boredom and the perils of warfare at the front. And then there is his affectionate depictions of the Spaniards and foreigners with whom he fought. ( )
  nmele | Oct 4, 2016 |

Monicelli, GiorgioTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Nuis, AadTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Symons, JulianIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Trilling, LionelIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Answer not a fool according to his folly, lest thou be like unto him. Answer a fool according to his folly, lest he be wise in his own conceit. Proverbs XXVI, 5-6
In the Lenin Barracks in Barcelona, the day before I joined the militia, I saw an Italian militiaman standing in front of the officers' table.
...beware of my partisanship, my mistakes of fact and the distortion inveitably caused by my having seen only one corner of events.
In war, all soldiers are lousy, at least when it is warm enough.
This is the complete unabridged Homage to Catalonia only.  Please do not combine with abridged works or those which contain other essays, stories, etc.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0156421178, Paperback)

"I wonder what is the appropriate first action when you come from a country at war and set foot on peaceful soil. Mine was to rush to the tobacco-kiosk and buy as many cigars and cigarettes as I could stuff into my pockets." Most war correspondents observe wars and then tell stories about the battles, the soldiers and the civilians. George Orwell--novelist, journalist, sometime socialist--actually traded his press pass for a uniform and fought against Franco's Fascists in the Spanish Civil War during 1936 and 1937. He put his politics and his formidable conscience to the toughest tests during those days in the trenches in the Catalan section of Spain. Then, after nearly getting killed, he went back to England and wrote a gripping account of his experiences, as well as a complex analysis of the political machinations that led to the defeat of the socialist Republicans and the victory of the Fascists.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:11 -0400)

George Orwell's account of his experience as a militiaman in the Spanish Civil War in the 1930s. The book describes the chaos at the Front, the futile young deaths for what became a confused cause, the antique weapons and the disappointment many British Socialists felt on arriving in Spain to help.… (more)

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141183055, 0141393025

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,872,839 books! | Top bar: Always visible