dismiss

Homage to Catalonia by George Orwell

Homage to Catalonia (original 1938; edition 1977)

by George Orwell

5,198751,420 (4.08)250
'Every line of serious work that I have written since 1936 has been written, directly or indirectly, against totalitarianism and for democratic Socialism as I understand it'. Thus wrote Orwell following his experiences as a militiaman in the Spanish Civil War, chronicled in Homage to Catalonia. Here he brings to bear all the force of his humanity, passion and clarity, describing with bitter intensity the bright hopes and cynical betrayals of that chaotic episode: the revolutionary euphoria of Barcelona, the courage of ordinary Spanish men and women he fought alongside, the terror and confusion of the front, his near-fatal bullet wound and the vicious treachery of his supposed allies. A firsthand account of the brutal conditions of the Spanish Civil War, George Orwell's Homage to Catalonia includes an introduction by Julian Symons in Penguin Modern Classics.… (more)
Member:jhbadger
Title:Homage to Catalonia
Authors:George Orwell
Info:Penguin Books (1977), Mass Market Paperback, 247 pages
Rating:****1/2
Tags:Spanish Civil War, autobiography

Homage to Catalonia by George Orwell (1938)

English (65)  Spanish (5)  French (2)  Dutch (2)  Catalan (1)  All languages (75)
I'm definitely more liberal with the five-star ratings with nonfiction books than fictional ones… regardless though, this was a great book. It should be compulsory reading for any right-wing idiot who wants to claim Orwell was against revolutions; the entire point of this book was that he was fighting to defend it, and his criticism of the Communist Party is scathing not because they wanted revolution, but because (under orders from Moscow) they were determined to wreck it. His political analysis is brilliant – he uses the phrase "state-capitalist" before Cliff had ever theorised state capitalism - and above all, is passionate in his support of working-class revolution, with no pretense of being "impartial". The truth is not impartial, basically.

Overall I loved this book. I'm definitely going to have to read more of his work; of course I've read his novels, but this has given me a taste for his nonfiction, too :) ( )
  Jayeless | May 27, 2020 |
Before reading this I knew close to nothing about the Spanish Civil War. I only read it because Orwell is one of my favorite writers, and since this is an autobiographical about an 80 year old war I was half expecting to be bored by it. My expectations could not have been farther from reality when in fact this book took me on a trip to 1930s Spain and kept me there for two days until I finished it. I even ended up reading other sources about the conflict just because Orwell managed to show it's fascinating facets.

I believe that Orwell's untimely death at 48 robbed the world of countless masterpieces and it saddens me to imagine that if he wouldn't have written 1984, he would've been long forgotten. There's just something about the simplicity and conciseness of his style that resonates with me in a way that very few styles do.

parzivalTheVirtual | Mar 22, 2020 |
Very good. ( )
  k6gst | Feb 12, 2020 |
One of my all time favorites.. ( )
  sonyahuber | Dec 3, 2019 |
George Orwell, nee, Eric Arthur Blair, is best known for his novella Animal Farm and the dystopian novel 1984. But Orwell was also a poet, essayist, and journalist and Homage to Catalonia is a work of autobiography recounting his half a year fighting as a militia man in the Spanish Civil War. I read the 1952 reissue with an introduction by Lionel Trilling which was my least favorite part of the book. Dense with literary criticism, the title is “George Orwell and the Politics of Truth," his standout line is "George Orwell is not a genius." Well perhaps he is not, but his writing is a hell of a lot clearer and more enjoyable than yours is Lionel. Orwell's writing is crisp and he alternates between the personal and the political, at times going very deep into the different political factions that is interesting but a bit hard to follow at times. Of this work, Orwell once wrote, "Every line of serious work that I have written since 1936 has been written, directly or indirectly, against totalitarianism and for Democratic Socialism, as I understand it." 1984 and Animal Farm are still assigned to school children but Homage to Catalonia, for what it says about the deception and distortion of truth by the media and other forms of propaganda, is just as relevant to today as ever. Orwell would not at all be surprised by the spread of "fake news" and the continued distortions of truth exacerbated by social media. ( )
  OccassionalRead | Sep 9, 2019 |

Nuis, AadTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Symons, JulianIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Trilling, LionelIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Trilling, LionelNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Answer not a fool according to his folly, lest thou be like unto him. Answer a fool according to his folly, lest he be wise in his own conceit. Proverbs XXVI, 5-6
In the Lenin Barracks in Barcelona, the day before I joined the militia, I saw an Italian militiaman standing in front of the officers' table.
...beware of my partisanship, my mistakes of fact and the distortion inveitably caused by my having seen only one corner of events.
In war, all soldiers are lousy, at least when it is warm enough.
This is the complete unabridged Homage to Catalonia only.  Please do not combine with abridged works or those which contain other essays, stories, etc.

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141183055, 0141393025

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 147,810,395 books! | Top bar: Always visible