How to Babysit a Grandpa by Jean Reagan

How to Babysit a Grandpa

by Jean Reagan, Lee Wildish (Illustrator)

instead of older person babysitting the grandchild its the other way around for this book. The grandchild tells how to babysit a grnadpa when he comes over and his parents go out. Very cute for teaching children how to be kind to older people. ( )
  pamelapaige | Oct 20, 2014 |
This book was so cute! It's written as a how-to guide and the child goes through all of the ways he entertains his grandpa while he is babysitting him. I can just imagine the parents telling their child that grandpa needs a sitter and that the child will be in charge. The things that the child comes up with are cute. The illustrations are cute, the story is whimsical, and the concept behind the story is clever. Be sure to check out the companion book, How to Babysit a Grandma!! Equally sweet. I can't imagine anyone not loving these books. ( )
  recipe_addict | Sep 21, 2014 |
I thought this was a very cute book. I enjoyed reading it because the boy believes he is the one babysitting his grandpa. He finds tons of fun things to do with his grandpa, which also reminded me of how I used to be with my grandparents when I was a child. ( )
  avidrine | Feb 27, 2014 |
Characters: Grandpa and child,

Setting: a house

Theme: how-to take care of grandpa

Genre: children’s humor

Summary: This book teaches children in a humorous way on how to take care of their grandparents. This book puts the reader into different scenarios on how to take care of grandpa. It teaches children how to behave in certain situations. Most of all, it helps readers maintain the bond between themselves and their grandparents.

Audience: children.

Curriculum ties: language, creativity, learn how to behave in certain situations.

Personal response: I wish I had a book like this when I was a child learning about how to hang out with my grandparents! I think I would have a lot of fun reading this with my grandparents. First of all , the language is great for young children. The text and the way it is structured, helps kids break down he different ideas and different topics. For instance, one part says “how to be quiet”, and indicates different ways for the child to be quiet. Secondly, the visuals in this book are amazing. It has a cartoony feel to it, with the characters expressing emotions that are emphasized by the art. More importantly, the images sets up scenarios on how act in different situations. The color and tone of the art made the book very pleasing to read and very eye catching. ( )
  Thach | May 14, 2013 |
A young boy narrates this hilarious how-to guide for babysitting grandpas, offering advice on everything from the all-important greeting - to be given after hiding, and then jumping out when the grandpa gives up looking - to the cleanup process necessary, after a visit together. The many activities that grandpas enjoy - eating plenty of snacks, playing games of make-believe, taking naps with the cat - are covered, as is the proper way of saying goodbye.

An entertaining tongue-in-cheek look at the loving relationship between a young boy and his grandfather, How to Babysit a Grandpa addresses an experience familiar to many children - that of being looked after by a babysitter, particularly a grandparent - but turns the usual dynamic on its head. Younger children will appreciate the "authority" given to the boy in this story, older kids will enjoy the humor, and adults will see the love that grandpa shows, by putting his grandson in charge. The colorful artwork by Lee Wildish accentuates the humor and sense of fun in the story. All in all, a sweet little book, one I would recommend to readers looking for humorous children's stories featuring the grandparent/grandchild relationship. ( )
  AbigailAdams26 | Apr 14, 2013 |

Jean Reaganprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Wildish, LeeIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed

This is a hilarious and accessible picture book about a child spending time with his grandpa. Written in a how-to style, the narrator gives important tips for "babysitting" a grandpa, including what to eat for snack (anything dipped in ketchup, ice cream topped with cookies, cookies topped with ice cream) what to do on a walk (find lizards and dandelion puffs, be on the lookout for puddles and sprinklers), and how to play with a grandpa (build a pirate cave, put on a scary play).

Filled with humor, energy, and warmth, this is a great gift for or from a grandparent, and perfect for lap reading when Grandpa comes to visit!

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:39:01 -0400)

A little boy provides instructions for properly babysitting one's grandfather, such as offering him tasty treats and entertaining him with special games.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,918,995 books! | Top bar: Always visible