The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe by C.…

The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe (original 1950; edition 2005)

by C. S. Lewis

22,796None52 (4.1)516
Member:PaperbackPirate
Title:The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe
Authors:C. S. Lewis
Info:HarperCollins (2005), Paperback, 256 pages
Tags:2006

The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe by C. S. Lewis (1950)

20th century (99) adventure (263) allegory (283) British (138) C.S. Lewis (323) chapter book (123) children (458) children's (714) children's fiction (223) children's literature (393) Christian (226) Christian Fiction (111) Christianity (223) Chronicles of Narnia (266) classic (425) classics (236) fantasy (3,396) fiction (2,201) juvenile (145) Lewis (112) literature (151) magic (257) Narnia (1,083) novel (215) own (123) read (361) religion (191) series (421) YA (195) young adult (352)
    The Book of Three by Lloyd Alexander (FFortuna, Polenth, Omnigeek)
    Omnigeek: Classic Welsh mythology transformed into a children's fable enjoyable for all ages. The Book of Three is the first of Lloyd Alexander's pentology, The Prydain Chronicles, and starts the growth of young orphan (and Assistant Pig Keeper) Taran into a man.
    Five Children and It by E. Nesbit (Polenth)
    Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (Book 1) by J. K. Rowling (Patangel)
    The Neverending Story by Michael Ende (GWoloszczuk)
    GWoloszczuk: Another story were a child goes to a fantasy world.
    The Secret Country by Pamela Dean (wordweaver)
    wordweaver: This is a YA novel that takes the group-of-kids-discover-a-portal-into-a-fantasy-world idea found in the Narnia books and uses it to explore issues of the imagination. The world the children in this story encounter appears to based upon a fantasy game they had been playing, and many elements of that game were influenced by books the children had read, clearly including the Chronicles of Narnia.… (more)
    Walk Out Of The World by Ruth Nichols (bookel)
    The Door Within by Wayne Thomas Batson (multilingualmaid)
    The Wand: The Return to Mesmeria by Allan W. Eckert (bookel)
    Challenge of the Trumpalar by Judy Bernard-Waite (bookel)
    The Riddle of the Trumpalar by Judy Bernard-Waite (bookel)
    The Thief of Always by Clive Barker (Scottneumann)
    Abarat by Clive Barker (Scottneumann)
    The Magical Cupboard by Jane Louise Curry (bookel)
    Into the Happy Glade by Trevor Dudley-Smith (bookel)
    The Hunt for the Eye of Ogin by Patrick Doud (Death_By_Papercut)
    Death_By_Papercut: Normal kids in a magical new world.
    A Roomful of Magic by John Marsden (bookel)
    The Way to Windra by Patricia G. Baehr (bookel)
    The Dragons of Ordinary Farm by Tad Williams (Scottneumann)
    The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry (krizia_lazaro)
    The Dark Green Tunnel by Allan W. Eckert (bookel)

English (329)  Italian (2)  Finnish (2)  Dutch (2)  Polish (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Spanish (1)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (340)
This is a book I had not read in too long. It wasn't until a classmate mentioned it that I was interested in reading it again. I always knew that C.S. Lewis was a religious author just by seeing his books at the Christian bookstore from time to time but I think over time I just forgot that. I feel like this is a book that has the ability to change as the reader changes. As a child I never knew the Lion was exemplifying God and now as an adult going back and reading this, it sheds a new light on an old story. A true classic about the importance of doing what is right, and how by doing so the good in that will always overpower wrong. It is an easy book to read and I think it holds a very deep and meaningful message. I am really happy I was reintroduced to this book. ( )
1 vote jessotto | Apr 2, 2014 |
An elegant tale full of symbolism. ( )
1 vote Liamsiamese | Mar 28, 2014 |
My childhood favorite. ( )
1 vote Mykake | Mar 23, 2014 |
Okay. My first time reading this as an adult. I picked it up because I read a short story by Neil Gaiman "The Problem of Susan" that referenced The Last Battle which of course is the last book in this series. As a kid I could never finish Prince Caspian so I never read any further. Well I've finished Prince Caspian but first I want to express my views on how very distressing I find this book.

First, what we already knew. The extremely heavy Christian undertones. Get 'em while they're young. Yes, yes I DO know C.S. Lewis was also a Christian apologist, but is it fair to sneak it into the kid's food without them knowing? I, for one, obviously do not think so. I mean the death (and resurrection) of Aslan at the stone table? All we're missing is a cross and three days. It definitely warms kids up to the religion if you can point to a much beloved fairy tale character and bring parallels, don't you think? Or am I raving like Richard Dawkins?

ANYWAY. What I find MORE disturbing, partially because it seems to fit in so well with the Christian undertones are the OVERTONES of misogyny. The most powerful evil character is both a woman and a fool. There is no redemption for her. Even looking at the sisters, Lucy and Susan, they are far weaker than the brothers and irritating to boot. I know this was published in the 1950's... but seriously? ( )
2 vote steadfastreader | Mar 18, 2014 |
Missed these when I was younger.
Catching up on some 'classics' - started with this so I could watch the movie.
Good reading.
Read in 2006. ( )
  CasaBooks | Mar 14, 2014 |
The whole air of the story is rich and strange and coherent; there is something of Hans Andersen's power to move and George MacDonald's power to create strange worlds, and it is, naturally, beautifully written.
added by Sylak | editThe Guardian (Feb 23, 1951)

When I began reading the story, it seemed well written but the fairy-tale atmosphere was curiously cut-and-dried... Two of my daughters re-educated me. I made the mistake of reading them the first chapter, and since then it has been two chapter a night, sometimes followed by tears when a third chapter is not forthcoming.
added by Shortride | editThe New York Times Book Review, Chad Walsh (pay site) (Nov 12, 1950)

C. S. Lewisprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Van Allsburg, ChrisCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
York, MichaelNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Lucy Barfield
My Dear Lucy,
I wrote this story for you, but when I began it I had not realized that girls grow quicker than books. As a result you are already too old for fairy tales, and by the time it is printed and bound you will be older still. But some day you will be old enough to start reading fairy tales again. You can then take it down from some upper shelf, dust it, and tell me what you think of it. I shall probably be too deaf to hear, and too old to understand a word you say, but I shall still be
your affectionate Godfather,
C. S. Lewis
Once there were four children whose names were Peter, Susan, Edmund and Lucy.
"It means," said Aslan, that though the witch knew the Deep Magic, there is a magic deeper still, which she did not know. Her knowledge goes back only to the dawn of time. But if she could have looked a little further back, into the stillness and darkness before Time dawned, she would have read there a different incantation. She would have known that when a willing victim who had committed no treachery was killed in a traitor's stead, the Table would crack and Death itself would start working backwards.
"How stupid of me! But I've never seen a Son of Adam or a Daughter of Eve before. I am delighted..."
Unabridged. Please do NOT combine with any abridged edition.

Please do NOT combine ISBN 0007206054 (abridged movie storybook) with original full-length book.

Please do NOT combine "The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe" with "The Chronicles of Narnia"

There are a thousand stories in the land of Narnia, and the first is about to be told in an extraordinary motion picture, The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe, from Walt Disney Pictures and Walden Media.

In the never-ending war between good and evil, The Chronicles of Narnia set the stage for battles of epic proportions. Some take place in vast fields, where the forces of light and darkness clash. But other battles occur within the small chambers of the heart and are equally decisive.

Journeys to the ends of the world, fantastic creatures, betrayals, heroic deeds and friendships won and lost -- all come together in an unforgettable world of magic. So join the battle to end all battles.

The second volume in
The Chronicles of Narnia®
The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe

Narnia .... a land frozen in eternal winter ... a country waiting to be set free.

Four adventurers step through a wardrobe door and into the land of Narnia -- a land enslaved by the power of the White Witch. But when almost all hope is lost, the return of the Great Lion, Aslan, signals a great change ... and a great sacrifice.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:27:39 -0400)

Four English schoolchildren find their way through the back of a wardrobe into the magic land of Narnia and assist its ruler, the golden lion Aslan, in defeating the White Witch who has cursed the land with eternal winter.

Legacy Library: C. S. Lewis

C. S. Lewis has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See C. S. Lewis's legacy profile.

See C. S. Lewis's author page.

Nine editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,437,625 books! | Top bar: Always visible