The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe by C.…

The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe (original 1950; edition 2005)

by C. S. Lewis

Member:PaperbackPirate
Title:The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe
Authors:C. S. Lewis
Info:HarperCollins (2005), Paperback, 256 pages
Tags:2006

The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe by C. S. Lewis (1950)

1950s (12)
Unread books (1,046)
    The Book of Three by Lloyd Alexander (FFortuna, Polenth, Omnigeek)
    Omnigeek: Classic Welsh mythology transformed into a children's fable enjoyable for all ages. The Book of Three is the first of Lloyd Alexander's pentology, The Prydain Chronicles, and starts the growth of young orphan (and Assistant Pig Keeper) Taran into a man.
    Five Children and It by E. Nesbit (Polenth)
    Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J. K. Rowling (Patangel)
    The Neverending Story by Michael Ende (GWoloszczuk)
    GWoloszczuk: Another story were a child goes to a fantasy world.
    The Secret Country by Pamela Dean (wordweaver)
    wordweaver: This is a YA novel that takes the group-of-kids-discover-a-portal-into-a-fantasy-world idea found in the Narnia books and uses it to explore issues of the imagination. The world the children in this story encounter appears to based upon a fantasy game they had been playing, and many elements of that game were influenced by books the children had read, clearly including the Chronicles of Narnia.… (more)
    Walk Out Of The World by Ruth Nichols (bookel)
    The Door Within by Wayne Thomas Batson (multilingualmaid)
    The Wand: The Return to Mesmeria by Allan W. Eckert (bookel)
    Challenge of the Trumpalar by Judy Bernard-Waite (bookel)
    The Riddle of the Trumpalar by Judy Bernard-Waite (bookel)
    The Thief of Always by Clive Barker (Scottneumann)
    Abarat by Clive Barker (Scottneumann)
    The Magical Cupboard by Jane Louise Curry (bookel)
    Into the Happy Glade by Trevor Dudley-Smith (bookel)
    The Hunt for the Eye of Ogin by Patrick Doud (Death_By_Papercut)
    Death_By_Papercut: Normal kids in a magical new world.
    A Roomful of Magic by John Marsden (bookel)
    The Way to Windra by Patricia G. Baehr (bookel)
    The Dragons of Ordinary Farm by Tad Williams (Scottneumann)
    The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry (krizia_lazaro)
    The Dark Green Tunnel by Allan W. Eckert (bookel)

English (346)  Italian (2)  Finnish (2)  Dutch (2)  Polish (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Spanish (1)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (357)
Summary: Four siblings enter another world through the back of a wardrobe. The world is beautiful and dangerous. Soon the siblings find that they are a part of a prophesy and begin their campaign to end the reign of the current queen. The author does an amazing job describing the fantasy world and the creatures that live their.

Personal reaction: This has been one of my favorite books since I was eleven. I feel that even though it's a children's book, adults can enjoy it as well. The author keeps the story exciting and suspenseful, making it hard to put down.

Extension: I would choose this for a summer read or a free time read. Another way to use this in the classroom would be to have a reading at the end of the day everyday until we finished the book.
  AshleyCox | Sep 17, 2014 |
I liked this book. The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe has a strong theme of friendship and devotion, as well as the old theme of good against evil. My favorite part of this book was that it was a tale that created its own world of magic and took you to a place you have never been before- Narnia. Narnia’s magic includes talking animals and mythical creatures that you are introduced to throughout the novel. Also, throughout the entire book, the main characters, Peter, Susan, Edmund and Lucy Pevensie are going in and out of the wardrobe that leads to Narnia. The second (and very small) reason why I liked this book was that it featured some history into it as well. In the story, the four children lived in a house during the World War II evacuation from London. Lastly, I liked that the story came to a complete circle from the beginning to the end. By this I mean, in the beginning the four Pevensies are young children. Then, throughout the book they grow up to be older living in Narnia fighting against the Witch or “The Queen of Narnia”. At the very end of the book, they somehow return to the wardrobe as if no time has gone by. They return to Professor Kirke’s house as children. I liked that this was a looped beginning and ending because it gets the reader thinking if the stuff in the middle actually happened or not. Were the children actually in Narnia or just dreaming it all…? The main message I got through reading this book was good vs. evil (the children vs. the witch) ( )
  margan1 | Sep 16, 2014 |
Hmm. I'm not sure whether this book would be so popular if it wasn't an allegorical religious tale. Sure, the inclusion of other characters from other mythologies adds interest, but ultimately the story is a little flat for my liking. ( )
  martensgirl | Aug 20, 2014 |
I'm really not fond of children's books written in this style. I didn't like the Hobbit for this reason and I don't like this either. I don't like it when the author breaks the fourth wall and addresses the reader. When it's first person, it's different all together, but I just find it awkward. I don't know why so many children's novels are written that way.

That aside, this was a cute story, although short. I guess I'm not as blown away by it as some, it's just not really my style, but I liked it just fine. ( )
  sammii507 | Aug 19, 2014 |
read for the classic fiction assignment
  acbanis | Aug 14, 2014 |
The whole air of the story is rich and strange and coherent; there is something of Hans Andersen's power to move and George MacDonald's power to create strange worlds, and it is, naturally, beautifully written.
added by Sylak | editThe Guardian (Feb 23, 1951)

When I began reading the story, it seemed well written but the fairy-tale atmosphere was curiously cut-and-dried... Two of my daughters re-educated me. I made the mistake of reading them the first chapter, and since then it has been two chapter a night, sometimes followed by tears when a third chapter is not forthcoming.
added by Shortride | editThe New York Times Book Review, Chad Walsh (pay site) (Nov 12, 1950)

C. S. Lewisprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Van Allsburg, ChrisCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
York, MichaelNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Lucy Barfield
My Dear Lucy,
I wrote this story for you, but when I began it I had not realized that girls grow quicker than books. As a result you are already too old for fairy tales, and by the time it is printed and bound you will be older still. But some day you will be old enough to start reading fairy tales again. You can then take it down from some upper shelf, dust it, and tell me what you think of it. I shall probably be too deaf to hear, and too old to understand a word you say, but I shall still be
your affectionate Godfather,
C. S. Lewis
Once there were four children whose names were Peter, Susan, Edmund and Lucy.
"It means," said Aslan, that though the witch knew the Deep Magic, there is a magic deeper still, which she did not know. Her knowledge goes back only to the dawn of time. But if she could have looked a little further back, into the stillness and darkness before Time dawned, she would have read there a different incantation. She would have known that when a willing victim who had committed no treachery was killed in a traitor's stead, the Table would crack and Death itself would start working backwards.
"How stupid of me! But I've never seen a Son of Adam or a Daughter of Eve before. I am delighted..."
Unabridged. Please do NOT combine with any abridged edition.

Please do NOT combine ISBN 0007206054 (abridged movie storybook) with original full-length book.

Please do NOT combine "The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe" with "The Chronicles of Narnia"

There are a thousand stories in the land of Narnia, and the first is about to be told in an extraordinary motion picture, The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe, from Walt Disney Pictures and Walden Media.

In the never-ending war between good and evil, The Chronicles of Narnia set the stage for battles of epic proportions. Some take place in vast fields, where the forces of light and darkness clash. But other battles occur within the small chambers of the heart and are equally decisive.

Journeys to the ends of the world, fantastic creatures, betrayals, heroic deeds and friendships won and lost -- all come together in an unforgettable world of magic. So join the battle to end all battles.

The second volume in
The Chronicles of Narnia®
The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe

Narnia .... a land frozen in eternal winter ... a country waiting to be set free.

Four adventurers step through a wardrobe door and into the land of Narnia -- a land enslaved by the power of the White Witch. But when almost all hope is lost, the return of the Great Lion, Aslan, signals a great change ... and a great sacrifice.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:27:39 -0400)

Four English school children find their way through the back of a wardrobe into the magic land of Narnia and assist Aslan, the golden lion, to triumph over the White Witch who has cursed the land with eternal winter.

Legacy Library: C. S. Lewis

C. S. Lewis has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See C. S. Lewis's legacy profile.

See C. S. Lewis's author page.

Nine editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,802,348 books! | Top bar: Always visible