The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe by C.…

The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe (original 1950; edition 2005)

by C. S. Lewis

Member:PaperbackPirate
Title:The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe
Authors:C. S. Lewis
Info:HarperCollins (2005), Paperback, 256 pages
Tags:2006

The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe by C. S. Lewis (1950)

20th century (104) adventure (273) allegory (290) British (139) C.S. Lewis (325) chapter book (126) children (462) children's (724) children's fiction (226) children's literature (401) Christian (230) Christian Fiction (112) Christianity (229) Chronicles of Narnia (271) classic (431) classics (247) fantasy (3,441) fiction (2,234) juvenile (150) Lewis (116) literature (153) magic (269) Narnia (1,098) novel (226) own (128) read (366) religion (196) series (428) YA (198) young adult (356)
1950s (8)
Unread books (1,046)
    The Book of Three by Lloyd Alexander (FFortuna, Polenth, Omnigeek)
    Omnigeek: Classic Welsh mythology transformed into a children's fable enjoyable for all ages. The Book of Three is the first of Lloyd Alexander's pentology, The Prydain Chronicles, and starts the growth of young orphan (and Assistant Pig Keeper) Taran into a man.
    Five Children and It by E. Nesbit (Polenth)
    Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J. K. Rowling (Patangel)
    The Neverending Story by Michael Ende (GWoloszczuk)
    GWoloszczuk: Another story were a child goes to a fantasy world.
    The Secret Country by Pamela Dean (wordweaver)
    wordweaver: This is a YA novel that takes the group-of-kids-discover-a-portal-into-a-fantasy-world idea found in the Narnia books and uses it to explore issues of the imagination. The world the children in this story encounter appears to based upon a fantasy game they had been playing, and many elements of that game were influenced by books the children had read, clearly including the Chronicles of Narnia.… (more)
    Walk Out Of The World by Ruth Nichols (bookel)
    The Door Within by Wayne Thomas Batson (multilingualmaid)
    The Wand: The Return to Mesmeria by Allan W. Eckert (bookel)
    Challenge of the Trumpalar by Judy Bernard-Waite (bookel)
    The Riddle of the Trumpalar by Judy Bernard-Waite (bookel)
    The Thief of Always by Clive Barker (Scottneumann)
    Abarat by Clive Barker (Scottneumann)
    The Magical Cupboard by Jane Louise Curry (bookel)
    Into the Happy Glade by Trevor Dudley-Smith (bookel)
    The Hunt for the Eye of Ogin by Patrick Doud (Death_By_Papercut)
    Death_By_Papercut: Normal kids in a magical new world.
    A Roomful of Magic by John Marsden (bookel)
    The Way to Windra by Patricia G. Baehr (bookel)
    The Dragons of Ordinary Farm by Tad Williams (Scottneumann)
    The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry (krizia_lazaro)
    The Dark Green Tunnel by Allan W. Eckert (bookel)

English (336)  Italian (2)  Finnish (2)  Dutch (2)  Polish (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Spanish (1)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (347)
Summary of book: This book is one of my favorites in the Narnia series. Lucy and her brothers and sisters discover a wardrobe that leads them to a magical world unknown to everyone else. In this land, they go on magical and risky adventures. They become Kings and Queens and bond over their special land. Danger and mystery lurk behind every tree - the brothers and sisters have to look out for each other or there lives could change forever.

Personal reaction: My grandma read these books to me out loud when I was in the second grade. She read them to me everyday after school and I looked forward to the time we spent together. Eventually I went on to read the rest of the series and see all of the movies. I thought it was amazing how all of the siblings could go to this special place together and share adventures no one else knew about.

Extension Ideas:
1. I would have the students create their own world and have them write a short story about why they chose it.
2. I would have the students draw a map of their special world and write a short story about what happens when they travel there. ( )
1 vote Gizellecardiel | Jul 14, 2014 |
This book for me started off really slow. It was hard for me to get into.

1. I had already seen the movie and although I liked the movie to a certain degree, it generally isn't the type of movie I would normally go see, but my mom wanted to take myself and my sons to see it so we agreed. I loved the message of the movie, especially towards the end, but I continued to get bored throughout.

2. I was just not in much of a reading mood. When I wanted to read, and didn't have much else to read at the time or rather, nothing I wanted to read at that time, I would pick this book up, just to get bored again. A part of me just refused to give up on this book.

I am so glad I didn't!

When I picked this book back up again, I was able to dive right in and really enjoy it this time around [starting where I had left off before]. But my favorite parts of the book really began to pick up in about Chapter 14 and continued on through about Chapter 16. Chapter 17 was good as well, but the previous mentioned chapters were my favorites.

I, of course, had my favorites...Aslan (the Lion) and Tumnus (the Faun). For those who know the story, should already have an idea why I liked them both. I really don't want to get into much detail about why I liked them because (1) It would take a lot of space for me to tell why I love Aslan I think and Tumnus as well I believe. But I can say that I loved them for their hearts. (2) For the ones who haven't read it, or even seen the movie, I don't want to give spoilers about them.

This book started off with about a 2 star rating, but as you can see, by the end of the book, it went up to a 4 star out of 5 star rating.

Will it be one of my favorites?

No. But it will be one that is pretty well loved. So far, of the two books I have read so far, I think the Magician's Nephew is a little higher on my love it it list because of how unexpected it was that I'd liked it so much. But I love The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe for different reasons. That mostly being Aslan and Tumnus.

The story as a whole was really good as I said, but I think what I love the most about it is the message. Because I am a very spiritual person, that is what makes me love it so much more.

I don't know when I will be going on in the series but hopefully soon. ( )
  MsBridgetReads | Jul 8, 2014 |
The classic book from the series that everyone's familiar with. Not my favorite, but still one of the best, and the one that started it all. I still remember picking this book off the shelf in the library for the first time in third grade. Little did I know that would set me off on a life-long love of The Chronicles of Narnia. And made me want to try Turkish Delight. ( )
  Stormydawnc | Jun 23, 2014 |
Lucy finds a secret passage in the back of an old wardrobe and enters the magical world of Narnia. At first her siblings don't believe her but eventually they all find the same secret passage and they all set on an adventure that will change their lives forever.
  kfh2 | Jun 9, 2014 |
This book is great for those who are looking to take an adventure. It is a great book for children to relate to. The author does a great job describing the setting and characters. The book it fast paced and it works well with the movie. Even if you have watched the movie it is still a good read and there are details you will learn by reading the book.
  nicholew | May 31, 2014 |
The whole air of the story is rich and strange and coherent; there is something of Hans Andersen's power to move and George MacDonald's power to create strange worlds, and it is, naturally, beautifully written.
added by Sylak | editThe Guardian (Feb 23, 1951)

When I began reading the story, it seemed well written but the fairy-tale atmosphere was curiously cut-and-dried... Two of my daughters re-educated me. I made the mistake of reading them the first chapter, and since then it has been two chapter a night, sometimes followed by tears when a third chapter is not forthcoming.
added by Shortride | editThe New York Times Book Review, Chad Walsh (pay site) (Nov 12, 1950)

C. S. Lewisprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Van Allsburg, ChrisCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
York, MichaelNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Lucy Barfield
My Dear Lucy,
I wrote this story for you, but when I began it I had not realized that girls grow quicker than books. As a result you are already too old for fairy tales, and by the time it is printed and bound you will be older still. But some day you will be old enough to start reading fairy tales again. You can then take it down from some upper shelf, dust it, and tell me what you think of it. I shall probably be too deaf to hear, and too old to understand a word you say, but I shall still be
your affectionate Godfather,
C. S. Lewis
Once there were four children whose names were Peter, Susan, Edmund and Lucy.
"It means," said Aslan, that though the witch knew the Deep Magic, there is a magic deeper still, which she did not know. Her knowledge goes back only to the dawn of time. But if she could have looked a little further back, into the stillness and darkness before Time dawned, she would have read there a different incantation. She would have known that when a willing victim who had committed no treachery was killed in a traitor's stead, the Table would crack and Death itself would start working backwards.
"How stupid of me! But I've never seen a Son of Adam or a Daughter of Eve before. I am delighted..."
Unabridged. Please do NOT combine with any abridged edition.

Please do NOT combine ISBN 0007206054 (abridged movie storybook) with original full-length book.

Please do NOT combine "The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe" with "The Chronicles of Narnia"

There are a thousand stories in the land of Narnia, and the first is about to be told in an extraordinary motion picture, The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe, from Walt Disney Pictures and Walden Media.

In the never-ending war between good and evil, The Chronicles of Narnia set the stage for battles of epic proportions. Some take place in vast fields, where the forces of light and darkness clash. But other battles occur within the small chambers of the heart and are equally decisive.

Journeys to the ends of the world, fantastic creatures, betrayals, heroic deeds and friendships won and lost -- all come together in an unforgettable world of magic. So join the battle to end all battles.

The second volume in
The Chronicles of Narnia®
The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe

Narnia .... a land frozen in eternal winter ... a country waiting to be set free.

Four adventurers step through a wardrobe door and into the land of Narnia -- a land enslaved by the power of the White Witch. But when almost all hope is lost, the return of the Great Lion, Aslan, signals a great change ... and a great sacrifice.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:27:39 -0400)

Four English schoolchildren find their way through the back of a wardrobe into the magic land of Narnia and assist its ruler, the golden lion Aslan, in defeating the White Witch who has cursed the land with eternal winter.

Legacy Library: C. S. Lewis

C. S. Lewis has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See C. S. Lewis's legacy profile.

See C. S. Lewis's author page.

Nine editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,469,718 books! | Top bar: Always visible