The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe by C.…

The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe (original 1950; edition 2005)

by C. S. Lewis

Member:PaperbackPirate
Title:The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe
Authors:C. S. Lewis
Info:HarperCollins (2005), Paperback, 256 pages
Tags:2006

The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe by C. S. Lewis (1950)

1950s (13)
Unread books (1,498)
    The Book of Three by Lloyd Alexander (FFortuna, Polenth, Omnigeek)
    Omnigeek: Classic Welsh mythology transformed into a children's fable enjoyable for all ages. The Book of Three is the first of Lloyd Alexander's pentology, The Prydain Chronicles, and starts the growth of young orphan (and Assistant Pig Keeper) Taran into a man.
    Five Children and It by E. Nesbit (Polenth)
    Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J. K. Rowling (Patangel)
    The Neverending Story by Michael Ende (GWoloszczuk)
    GWoloszczuk: Another story were a child goes to a fantasy world.
    The Secret Country by Pamela Dean (wordweaver)
    wordweaver: This is a YA novel that takes the group-of-kids-discover-a-portal-into-a-fantasy-world idea found in the Narnia books and uses it to explore issues of the imagination. The world the children in this story encounter appears to based upon a fantasy game they had been playing, and many elements of that game were influenced by books the children had read, clearly including the Chronicles of Narnia.… (more)
    Walk Out Of The World by Ruth Nichols (bookel)
    The Door Within by Wayne Thomas Batson (multilingualmaid)
    The Wand: The Return to Mesmeria by Allan W. Eckert (bookel)
    Challenge of the Trumpalar by Judy Bernard-Waite (bookel)
    The Riddle of the Trumpalar by Judy Bernard-Waite (bookel)
    The Thief of Always by Clive Barker (Scottneumann)
    Abarat by Clive Barker (Scottneumann)
    The Magical Cupboard by Jane Louise Curry (bookel)
    Into the Happy Glade by Trevor Dudley-Smith (bookel)
    The Hunt for the Eye of Ogin by Patrick Doud (Death_By_Papercut)
    Death_By_Papercut: Normal kids in a magical new world.
    A Roomful of Magic by John Marsden (bookel)
    The Way to Windra by Patricia G. Baehr (bookel)
    The Dragons of Ordinary Farm by Tad Williams (Scottneumann)
    The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry (krizia_lazaro)
    The Dark Green Tunnel by Allan W. Eckert (bookel)

English (358)  Italian (2)  Finnish (2)  Dutch (2)  Polish (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Spanish (1)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (369)
I really enjoyed this book for many different reasons. The main idea of this novel is the dangers of glutton and the redemption of mankind. When Edmond first enters the wardrobe, he is tempted with chocolates. This demonstrates the deadly sin of glutton. This scene demonstrates this because of its parallels with the creation story. Just like Adam and Eve, Edmond is tempted with something that is forbidden to him and will ultimately destroy him. The other bible theme that is represented in this book is the redemption of mankind. Just like in the catholic bible, Aslan sacrifices himself in order to relieve sin from Edmond, parallel to when Jesus gave himself for the good of mankind. ( )
  bfried10 | Nov 18, 2014 |
The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe is a wonderful tale of the classical struggle between good and evil. In the story four siblings enter a wardrobe that becomes a magical gateway between our world and the magical world of Narnia, where all sorts of animals and magical creatures live. Creatures like talking beavers, giants, centaurs, unicorns, lions, dwarfs, fauns, and so much more. Together the four siblings are to unite the good people of Narnia to fight against the evil witch. I really enjoyed this book for a couple of reasons. One is the plot; the events of this story were exciting and fun to follow. Also the characters were well developed as well as easy to relate to.
This story is so much fun to read. It starts off with four siblings, Peter, Susan, Edmund, and Lucy who have to leave home because of the war in London. This is ironic because the four wind up fighting in a war themselves. As the story continues, Lucy hides in a wardrobe and finds a way in to the land of Narnia. After a while all four children end up in Narnia where they are told of the prophecy. It states that they are to be the kings and queens of Narnia. However, to do so they must meet Aslan and his army to battle the White Witch and free Narnia of an everlasting winter. This is a great story where the plot is well organized and well paced. As each event leads into the next flawlessly. Another aspect of the plot that makes this so good is where the children are transferred. It is a time where things were made by hand and battles were fought with swords and shields. This makes for excitement and opens your imagination to a different time. This book’s story takes you to a place that you could only visit in your dreams or imagination.
The character development is really what draws you into the story because you get invested in each character because they are relatable. Most people have siblings and in any group whether friends or family there is someone who is naturally the leader, as is Peter, “I show it to you because you are the first born and you will be High King over all the rest.” or the motherly one like Susan “ Do stop it, it won’t make things any better having a row between you two.” You also have the one that gets on your nerves or have a hard time understanding like Edmund, “ When Peter suddenly asked him the question he decided all at once to do the meanest and most spiteful thing he could.” Or the loveable on like Lucy, “And I do hope you won’t get into dreadful trouble on my account.”
At the core of this story is a message of love, family, and honor. The message that comes out loud and clear is that by sticking together and loving each other you can accomplish anything. ( )
  AlexWyatt | Nov 17, 2014 |
This chapter book served as a wonderful example of modern fantasy. I enjoyed the use of symbolism throughout the story and well developed characters. The author was able to create a number of representative symbols such as Aslan. He is many ways seen as the superior being, representative of Christ in some ways. Aslan saved Edmund by sacrificing his own life and then was subsequently resurrected as was Jesus. The author also chose to spend line upon line describing each characters appearance and emotions to the tee. Each of the four siblings was well thought out, realistic and relatable. These two aspects of the story allow the reader to gravitate towards the story, it also helped to better convey the main message. The message within this story is a classic, good vs. evil. There are two sides to this story and the author writes so that readers are constantly rooting for good, for Aslan. ( )
  ShelbyBurton | Nov 17, 2014 |
“The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe,” is an enchanting fantasy chapter book. The book is about a magical land called Narnia. Four siblings, Edmund, Peter, Susan, and Lucy, all find their way into Narnia through a wardrobe in their guardian’s home. In Narnia the four siblings get dragged into a war against the evil White Witch, fighting along the current king of Narnia, a lion named Aslan. The four children encounter many creatures and other strange/dangerous circumstances along their way. I would say that there are a multiple lessons that are taught to the readers of this book but one stands out to me more than others. The whole purpose of Narnia is believing in something that may seem impossible. I think that this book really teaches to it's readers than anything can happen as long you really believe in yourself. I really enjoyed reading this book for the first time. This book is written in third person omniscient point of view. The decision to write this book in this particular point of view was very wise, for it allows the reader to be all knowing of the feelings and thoughts of the four main characters of the text. The four main characters, Lucy, Peter, Edmund, and Susan, all have very different perspectives about Narnia and this point of view allows the reader to have insight on all of those perspectives. Another aspect of this book that I really enjoyed was the occasional illustrations. Occasionally, within the text, an illustration appears on the page to give as visual to the readers of what was going on in a text. I found this to be helpful in visualizing Narnia and certain events that took place in the book. For example, the White Witch has a servant dwarf that works for her and has a few interactions with Edmund. Obviously Dwarfs, among other creatures found in Narnia, are not real and as a reader I don’t really have much background knowledge on dwarfs to accurately visualize them. In the text there are a few visuals of this dwarf on various pages that the dwarf was mentioned. This is just one example of the visuals found in the book that were helpful to my understanding of the book as a reader. One last aspect of this book that found to be very interesting was the language that was used for certain characters within the text. For example, The White Witch deemed herself to be a queen and that was noticeable in her speech. It was clear that the author intended to write the White Witch in as someone who believed that she was of a higher status than anyone else in Narnia. Two examples of this kind of language were found when Edmund made his way to the White Witches castle, “And yet it will not do to have the brat fainting on the way,” and, “ bring the human creature food and drink.” The way how her speech is phrased allows the reader to assume that she is of a higher status than other characters in the book. ( )
  EmilyEgert | Nov 17, 2014 |
I liked this book. I thought that the plot was extremely interesting. I love the idea that a new world could be found by exploring through a house and stepping through a wardrobe. The adventures that the children experience while in Narnia are very mystical as they fight in wars, and have conversations with animals. I particularly like the character Aslan. In this story Aslan is portrayed as God as he loves and cares for everyone in the land unconditionally. This story is very easy to read and keeps the reader eager to turn the pages. I believe that the main idea of this story is to show religion in another form than the bible. ( )
  carolinetownsend | Nov 16, 2014 |
The whole air of the story is rich and strange and coherent; there is something of Hans Andersen's power to move and George MacDonald's power to create strange worlds, and it is, naturally, beautifully written.
added by Sylak | editThe Guardian (Feb 23, 1951)

When I began reading the story, it seemed well written but the fairy-tale atmosphere was curiously cut-and-dried... Two of my daughters re-educated me. I made the mistake of reading them the first chapter, and since then it has been two chapter a night, sometimes followed by tears when a third chapter is not forthcoming.
added by Shortride | editThe New York Times Book Review, Chad Walsh (pay site) (Nov 12, 1950)

C. S. Lewisprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Van Allsburg, ChrisCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
York, MichaelNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Lucy Barfield
My Dear Lucy,
I wrote this story for you, but when I began it I had not realized that girls grow quicker than books. As a result you are already too old for fairy tales, and by the time it is printed and bound you will be older still. But some day you will be old enough to start reading fairy tales again. You can then take it down from some upper shelf, dust it, and tell me what you think of it. I shall probably be too deaf to hear, and too old to understand a word you say, but I shall still be
your affectionate Godfather,
C. S. Lewis
Once there were four children whose names were Peter, Susan, Edmund and Lucy.
"It means," said Aslan, that though the witch knew the Deep Magic, there is a magic deeper still, which she did not know. Her knowledge goes back only to the dawn of time. But if she could have looked a little further back, into the stillness and darkness before Time dawned, she would have read there a different incantation. She would have known that when a willing victim who had committed no treachery was killed in a traitor's stead, the Table would crack and Death itself would start working backwards.
"How stupid of me! But I've never seen a Son of Adam or a Daughter of Eve before. I am delighted..."
Unabridged. Please do NOT combine with any abridged edition.

Please do NOT combine ISBN 0007206054 (abridged movie storybook) with original full-length book.

Please do NOT combine "The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe" with "The Chronicles of Narnia"

There are a thousand stories in the land of Narnia, and the first is about to be told in an extraordinary motion picture, The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe, from Walt Disney Pictures and Walden Media.

In the never-ending war between good and evil, The Chronicles of Narnia set the stage for battles of epic proportions. Some take place in vast fields, where the forces of light and darkness clash. But other battles occur within the small chambers of the heart and are equally decisive.

Journeys to the ends of the world, fantastic creatures, betrayals, heroic deeds and friendships won and lost -- all come together in an unforgettable world of magic. So join the battle to end all battles.

The second volume in
The Chronicles of Narnia®
The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe

Narnia .... a land frozen in eternal winter ... a country waiting to be set free.

Four adventurers step through a wardrobe door and into the land of Narnia -- a land enslaved by the power of the White Witch. But when almost all hope is lost, the return of the Great Lion, Aslan, signals a great change ... and a great sacrifice.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:27:39 -0400)

Four English school children find their way through the back of a wardrobe into the magic land of Narnia and assist Aslan, the golden lion, to triumph over the White Witch who has cursed the land with eternal winter.

Legacy Library: C. S. Lewis

C. S. Lewis has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See C. S. Lewis's legacy profile.

See C. S. Lewis's author page.

Nine editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,045,821 books! | Top bar: Always visible