The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe by C.…

The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe (original 1950; edition 2005)

by C. S. Lewis

26,41947741 (4.1)631
Member:PaperbackPirate
Title:The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe
Authors:C. S. Lewis
Info:HarperCollins (2005), Paperback, 256 pages
Tags:2006

The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe by C. S. Lewis (1950)

The Book of Three by Lloyd Alexander (FFortuna, Polenth, Omnigeek)
    Omnigeek: Classic Welsh mythology transformed into a children's fable enjoyable for all ages. The Book of Three is the first of Lloyd Alexander's pentology, The Prydain Chronicles, and starts the growth of young orphan (and Assistant Pig Keeper) Taran into a man.
    Five Children and It by E. Nesbit (Polenth)
    Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (Book 1) by J. K. Rowling (Patangel)
    The Neverending Story by Michael Ende (GWoloszczuk)
    GWoloszczuk: Another story were a child goes to a fantasy world.
    The Secret Country by Pamela Dean (wordweaver)
    wordweaver: This is a YA novel that takes the group-of-kids-discover-a-portal-into-a-fantasy-world idea found in the Narnia books and uses it to explore issues of the imagination. The world the children in this story encounter appears to based upon a fantasy game they had been playing, and many elements of that game were influenced by books the children had read, clearly including the Chronicles of Narnia.… (more)
    The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry (krizia_lazaro)
    The Door Within by Wayne Thomas Batson (multilingualmaid)
    A Walk Out of the World by Ruth Nichols (bookel)
    The Riddle of the Trumpalar by Judy Bernard-Waite (bookel)
    Challenge of the Trumpalar by Judy Bernard-Waite (bookel)
    Abarat by Clive Barker (Scottneumann)
    Breadcrumbs by Anne Ursu (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Ruled by a white witch, a wintry forest - enchanted and treacherous -- doesn't deter a young girl from trying to save a spellbound friend. Filled with fairy tale elements, both of these affecting fantasies speak to universal longings.
    The Wand: The Return to Mesmeria by Allan W. Eckert (bookel)
    Inkheart by Cornelia Funke (MissBrangwen)
    The Thief of Always by Clive Barker (Scottneumann)
    The Way to Windra by Patricia G. Baehr (bookel)
    The Hunt for the Eye of Ogin by Patrick Doud (Death_By_Papercut)
    Death_By_Papercut: Normal kids in a magical new world.
    A Roomful of Magic by John Marsden (bookel)
    Into the Happy Glade by Trevor Dudley-Smith (bookel)
    The Magical Cupboard by Jane Louise Curry (bookel)

1950s (19)
Unread books (1,097)

English (465)  Italian (2)  Dutch (2)  Finnish (2)  Spanish (2)  Polish (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Hungarian (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  All languages (477)
A clear and gentle allegory that presents the concept of Christ's divine sacrifice in a way that is understandable for children (and adults). Even without the biblical interpretation it is an enchanting story. ( )
  wandaly | Jun 30, 2016 |
Read this in hs and LOVED it! Would love to read again sometime. ( )
  GettinBetter | Jun 27, 2016 |
I really loved this book. I first heard it in the second grade, and it was because of this book that I was determined to learn to read. I later read it for myself and will always cherish it. ( )
  Shadow494 | Jun 20, 2016 |
I never realized how short these books were until I started listening to them on this road trip. When you're younger they seemed so much longer. They also seemed much more richer in detail. Now, they seem fairly simple. But charming. I can see why they are still a classic. I was never one of those children who read the series young and fell in love with the story and wanted to find my own Narnia, but I can see why, in it's time era, it might have had that effect on children. On to the next book in the series, the one - if my memory is true- that is my favorite of the whole series. ( )
  Kassilem | Jun 14, 2016 |
The Chronicles of Narnia is a legendary series, spawned by an atheist turned Christian who became equally famous for his Christian theology book, Mere Christianity. He wrote this creative fairy tale for his goddaughter, Lucy, probably not aware at the time it would become a fairy tale for so many for so long.

One of the things he said in the note has become one of his most famous and quoted quotes:

"But one day you will be old enough to start reading fairy tales again."

I grew up on 'The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe' through the 1979 TV animated version. This was in the older days when you had mom and pop type rental places around the block, in which my family frequented at least three times a month. I rented this one often, charmed by its magical presence and unique story line. Seeing it so many times, and since the animated version stuck SO close to the book (the same dialogue even), every time a character in the book spoke I kept picturing it with the inflections used in the movie. Fun times.

Being such a huge reader then, I'm not sure why I never thought to seek out the book. As an adult I've sought the series out and have been wanting to read it eagerly. This review will show I'm not disappointed...I didn't think I'd be, but there was a small fear there that I'd be wrong.

This book is a prime example of how adults can enjoy this fairy tale aimed toward children and young adults. It's ideal for any age. Filled with adventure, a twist of the imagination, clear heroes and clear villains, castles and kingdoms, speaking animals, right and wrong, battles, friendships, and the bonding of family. This highly fantastical world was creatively written and invented, and CS Lewis managed to capture all sorts of magic with this one. The pacing was even throughout and never grew boring. Dialogue is kept to the point of the story and it's clear to picture the world without the tale being dragged down by repetitiveness.

Both the villain and the hero had a flair with words and a powerful presence (Yes, religious overtones with Aslan are, as always, clear). I never picked up on them as a kid and didn't even realize the Christian undertones until someone told me as a teen. I think I would have been able to pick up on it now but who knows? One of the things that made this book work so well were the intriguing people CS Lewis birthed. Lucy was a charming, quaint thing who started the adventure and kept it going through anyone else's doubts. Edmund was a vindictive little child who ended up redeeming himself painfully. The older siblings are also well-written, but they do stand in the background to the vibrancy of the younger two.

It's certainly not just the children readers remember and love. . Mr. Tumnus will forever be the awesome faun who makes cakes, tea, and sacrifices his role for friendship. The Beaver family provides surprisingly abrupt humor in the most serious situations, and Aslan himself comes across as powerful and awe-inspiring as CS Lewis tried to make him out to be. The witch as a villain is kept simple and without much story or depth, but for a fairy tale this works wonders.

I'm not sure if I would have liked the story as much if I didn't grow up with the movie. The two magics may have merged in my mind to make it more mesmerizing. I'd like to think, though, that it's impact would still have been as strong.

The only annoyance is the end where it was explained the children, now grown, speak differently since they've now been Kings and Queens so long. How glad I am they didn't speak this way through the rest of the book. It was so awkward I don't think I would have been able to read it if they had!

When closing the chapter, or turning off the TV, the very end is always a little bittersweet. To have found the most powerful of magic and to have lost it...well, that bites. I muse it was not supposed to be as sad as all that, though, for with the professor's words and maybe even CS Lewis's point, the magic of Narnia - once discovered, experienced, and embraced - continues to live on in the hearts and minds of the characters and readers once the world has been left. ( )
1 vote ErinPaperbackstash | Jun 14, 2016 |
The whole air of the story is rich and strange and coherent; there is something of Hans Andersen's power to move and George MacDonald's power to create strange worlds, and it is, naturally, beautifully written.
added by Sylak | editThe Guardian (Feb 23, 1951)

When I began reading the story, it seemed well written but the fairy-tale atmosphere was curiously cut-and-dried... Two of my daughters re-educated me. I made the mistake of reading them the first chapter, and since then it has been two chapter a night, sometimes followed by tears when a third chapter is not forthcoming.
added by Shortride | editThe New York Times Book Review, Chad Walsh (pay site) (Nov 12, 1950)

C. S. Lewisprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Van Allsburg, ChrisCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
York, MichaelNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Lucy Barfield
My Dear Lucy,
I wrote this story for you, but when I began it I had not realized that girls grow quicker than books. As a result you are already too old for fairy tales, and by the time it is printed and bound you will be older still. But some day you will be old enough to start reading fairy tales again. You can then take it down from some upper shelf, dust it, and tell me what you think of it. I shall probably be too deaf to hear, and too old to understand a word you say, but I shall still be
your affectionate Godfather,
C. S. Lewis
Once there were four children whose names were Peter, Susan, Edmund and Lucy.
"It means," said Aslan, "that though the witch knew the Deep Magic, there is a magic deeper still, which she did not know. Her knowledge goes back only to the dawn of time. But if she could have looked a little further back, into the stillness and darkness before Time dawned, she would have read there a different incantation. She would have known that when a willing victim who had committed no treachery was killed in a traitor's stead, the Table would crack and Death itself would start working backwards."
"How stupid of me! But I've never seen a Son of Adam or a Daughter of Eve before. I am delighted..."
Unabridged. Please do NOT combine with any abridged edition.

Please do NOT combine ISBN 0007206054 (abridged movie storybook) with original full-length book.

Please do NOT combine "The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe" with "The Chronicles of Narnia"

There are a thousand stories in the land of Narnia, and the first is about to be told in an extraordinary motion picture, The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe, from Walt Disney Pictures and Walden Media.

In the never-ending war between good and evil, The Chronicles of Narnia set the stage for battles of epic proportions. Some take place in vast fields, where the forces of light and darkness clash. But other battles occur within the small chambers of the heart and are equally decisive.

Journeys to the ends of the world, fantastic creatures, betrayals, heroic deeds and friendships won and lost -- all come together in an unforgettable world of magic. So join the battle to end all battles.

The second volume in
The Chronicles of Narnia®
The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe

Narnia .... a land frozen in eternal winter ... a country waiting to be set free.

Four adventurers step through a wardrobe door and into the land of Narnia -- a land enslaved by the power of the White Witch. But when almost all hope is lost, the return of the Great Lion, Aslan, signals a great change ... and a great sacrifice.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:23 -0400)

Four English school children find their way through the back of a wardrobe into the magic land of Narnia and assist Aslan, the golden lion, to triumph over the White Witch who has cursed the land with eternal winter.

Legacy Library: C. S. Lewis

C. S. Lewis has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See C. S. Lewis's legacy profile.

See C. S. Lewis's author page.

4 1996

HarperCollins Childrens Books

An edition of this book was published by HarperCollins Childrens Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,898,580 books! | Top bar: Always visible