The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe by C.…

The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe (original 1950; edition 1995)

by C. S. Lewis

Member:guyalice
Title:The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe
Authors:C. S. Lewis
Info:Scholastic (1995), Edition: 1st Scholastic Printing, Paperback, 189 pages
Tags:Sorta Fairytale, youth, Narnia, children's, Christianity, Christian fiction, fantasy, imaginary worlds, wardrobes, lions, witches, fantastic fiction, illustrated, allegories, adventure, siblings, brothers and sisters, children's classics, beavers, animals, Santa Claus, war, witchcraft, statues, fiction, childhood, royalty, magic, England, British, temptation, anthropomorphism, novel, Bookwyrms

The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe by C. S. Lewis (1950)

1950s (11)
Unread books (1,046)
    The Book of Three by Lloyd Alexander (FFortuna, Polenth, Omnigeek)
    Omnigeek: Classic Welsh mythology transformed into a children's fable enjoyable for all ages. The Book of Three is the first of Lloyd Alexander's pentology, The Prydain Chronicles, and starts the growth of young orphan (and Assistant Pig Keeper) Taran into a man.
    Five Children and It by E. Nesbit (Polenth)
    Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J. K. Rowling (Patangel)
    The Neverending Story by Michael Ende (GWoloszczuk)
    GWoloszczuk: Another story were a child goes to a fantasy world.
    The Secret Country by Pamela Dean (wordweaver)
    wordweaver: This is a YA novel that takes the group-of-kids-discover-a-portal-into-a-fantasy-world idea found in the Narnia books and uses it to explore issues of the imagination. The world the children in this story encounter appears to based upon a fantasy game they had been playing, and many elements of that game were influenced by books the children had read, clearly including the Chronicles of Narnia.… (more)
    Walk Out Of The World by Ruth Nichols (bookel)
    The Door Within by Wayne Thomas Batson (multilingualmaid)
    The Wand: The Return to Mesmeria by Allan W. Eckert (bookel)
    Challenge of the Trumpalar by Judy Bernard-Waite (bookel)
    The Riddle of the Trumpalar by Judy Bernard-Waite (bookel)
    The Thief of Always by Clive Barker (Scottneumann)
    Abarat by Clive Barker (Scottneumann)
    The Magical Cupboard by Jane Louise Curry (bookel)
    Into the Happy Glade by Trevor Dudley-Smith (bookel)
    The Hunt for the Eye of Ogin by Patrick Doud (Death_By_Papercut)
    Death_By_Papercut: Normal kids in a magical new world.
    A Roomful of Magic by John Marsden (bookel)
    The Way to Windra by Patricia G. Baehr (bookel)
    The Dragons of Ordinary Farm by Tad Williams (Scottneumann)
    The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry (krizia_lazaro)
    The Dark Green Tunnel by Allan W. Eckert (bookel)

English (342)  Italian (2)  Finnish (2)  Dutch (2)  Polish (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Spanish (1)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (353)
read for the classic fiction assignment
  acbanis | Aug 14, 2014 |
Read my full review here.

I was assigned to read this book for a class at school and I was so excited. Let me preface this by saying that I have not read the first book in the “The Chronicles of Narnia” series.

This book is a pleasant read. It’s quite light - despite some of the darker tones which are laced throughout - and has lovely little descriptions.

The narrative is one of the aspects of this book that is really quite nice. The dedication letter to his Goddaughter, Lucy, obviously defines how the story is told. The story is written as though he is verbally telling the story to her. As well, the descriptions blossom as the book goes on: they were short at first but increasingly become more elaborate.

I interpreted that there is a religious meaning or allusion carried throughout the book (Aslan sacrifices himself to save Edmund from punishment for his betrayal and then rises from the dead). I might be reading into it too much but this is what I recognized increasingly as I went along. The overarching meaning or moral for me was to have faith.

There were a few irksome things which stood out to me. Lewis tends to repeat phrases - sometimes two pages in a row - in the first few chapters. It was actually sort of off-putting though I understand he was trying to warn his Goddaughter not to go into wardrobes and close the door, for example . As well, sometimes the narrator's intervening was a little bit annoying only because I already understood what was happening and didn’t need it explained but, again, I understand why Lewis includes these. Another issue I found is that many of the characters say exactly what they are thinking. For instance, the White Witch says out loud that humans in Narnia is a problem for her but that she can easily get rid of them. I didn’t sit quite right with me that she said this out loud but is devious and mysterious otherwise.

Overall, the story was a lovely read and it was well-written. I enjoyed the plot and could interpret a deeper meaning which made this story more than a simple children’s book. ( )
  CaitlinAC | Aug 10, 2014 |
It's a little silly, very British, and not quite logically consistent, but, like many other readers whose names don't rhyme with Millip Mullman, I love it. Every reread is enjoyable, especially when I'm reading it aloud to my sons as bedtime stories. There are most definitely things that don't make sense within the story, but [a:Michael Ward|194177|Michael Ward|https://d.gr-assets.com/authors/1334264406p2/194177.jpg]'s analysis of the Narnia books in his brilliant [b:Planet Narnia|1800794|Planet Narnia The Seven Heavens in the Imagination of C.S. Lewis|Michael Ward|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1348068661s/1800794.jpg|1799947] helps me appreciate what [a:Lewis|1069006|C.S. Lewis|https://d.gr-assets.com/authors/1367519078p2/1069006.jpg] was attempting in [b:The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe|140212|The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe |C.S. Lewis|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1172116408s/140212.jpg|4790821]. This book centers around Jupiter, with an emphasis on Joviality and springtime. Traditionally, Jupiter brings about the end of winter, so the turning point in the book is a clear personification of that characteristic. Jupiter also includes the idea of kingliness, which is of course a huge part of the story--the Emperor beyond the sea, Aslan himself, the overthrow of the false royalty, and Peter becoming High King. There are many, many other details, and I highly recommend Ward's book as the best analysis of Narnia that I've ever read. And of course I highly recommend The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe itself, whether you read it first or second in the series (and Lewis's ret-conning is jarring no matter which order you take the series in). My reviews of the Narnia series: The Magician's Nephew The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe The Horse and His Boy Prince Caspian The Voyage of the Dawn Treader The Silver Chair The Last Battle ( )
  ethnosax | Aug 8, 2014 |
This is one of my favorites! Memorable characters in a ensnaring storyline with fantasy and magic elements and Christian values sprinkled in makes for a must-read. ( )
  Leena_Duncan | Jul 30, 2014 |
This novel was a great middle grade novel and was better than the Magician's Nephew. I loved the fantasy elements in this book. This series is filled with wonderful Christian allegories! I cannot wait to read the rest of the series! ( )
  blog_gal | Jul 26, 2014 |
The whole air of the story is rich and strange and coherent; there is something of Hans Andersen's power to move and George MacDonald's power to create strange worlds, and it is, naturally, beautifully written.
added by Sylak | editThe Guardian (Feb 23, 1951)

When I began reading the story, it seemed well written but the fairy-tale atmosphere was curiously cut-and-dried... Two of my daughters re-educated me. I made the mistake of reading them the first chapter, and since then it has been two chapter a night, sometimes followed by tears when a third chapter is not forthcoming.
added by Shortride | editThe New York Times Book Review, Chad Walsh (pay site) (Nov 12, 1950)

C. S. Lewisprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Van Allsburg, ChrisCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
York, MichaelNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Lucy Barfield
My Dear Lucy,
I wrote this story for you, but when I began it I had not realized that girls grow quicker than books. As a result you are already too old for fairy tales, and by the time it is printed and bound you will be older still. But some day you will be old enough to start reading fairy tales again. You can then take it down from some upper shelf, dust it, and tell me what you think of it. I shall probably be too deaf to hear, and too old to understand a word you say, but I shall still be
your affectionate Godfather,
C. S. Lewis
Once there were four children whose names were Peter, Susan, Edmund and Lucy.
"It means," said Aslan, that though the witch knew the Deep Magic, there is a magic deeper still, which she did not know. Her knowledge goes back only to the dawn of time. But if she could have looked a little further back, into the stillness and darkness before Time dawned, she would have read there a different incantation. She would have known that when a willing victim who had committed no treachery was killed in a traitor's stead, the Table would crack and Death itself would start working backwards.
"How stupid of me! But I've never seen a Son of Adam or a Daughter of Eve before. I am delighted..."
Unabridged. Please do NOT combine with any abridged edition.

Please do NOT combine ISBN 0007206054 (abridged movie storybook) with original full-length book.

Please do NOT combine "The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe" with "The Chronicles of Narnia"

There are a thousand stories in the land of Narnia, and the first is about to be told in an extraordinary motion picture, The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe, from Walt Disney Pictures and Walden Media.

In the never-ending war between good and evil, The Chronicles of Narnia set the stage for battles of epic proportions. Some take place in vast fields, where the forces of light and darkness clash. But other battles occur within the small chambers of the heart and are equally decisive.

Journeys to the ends of the world, fantastic creatures, betrayals, heroic deeds and friendships won and lost -- all come together in an unforgettable world of magic. So join the battle to end all battles.

The second volume in
The Chronicles of Narnia®
The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe

Narnia .... a land frozen in eternal winter ... a country waiting to be set free.

Four adventurers step through a wardrobe door and into the land of Narnia -- a land enslaved by the power of the White Witch. But when almost all hope is lost, the return of the Great Lion, Aslan, signals a great change ... and a great sacrifice.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:27:39 -0400)

Four English schoolchildren find their way through the back of a wardrobe into the magic land of Narnia and assist its ruler, the golden lion Aslan, in defeating the White Witch who has cursed the land with eternal winter.

Legacy Library: C. S. Lewis

C. S. Lewis has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See C. S. Lewis's legacy profile.

See C. S. Lewis's author page.

Nine editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,123,531 books! | Top bar: Always visible