The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe by C.…

The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe (original 1950; edition 1995)

by C. S. Lewis

Member:guyalice
Title:The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe
Authors:C. S. Lewis
Info:Scholastic (1995), Edition: 1st Scholastic Printing, Paperback, 189 pages
Tags:Sorta Fairytale, youth, Narnia, children's, Christianity, Christian fiction, fantasy, imaginary worlds, wardrobes, lions, witches, fantastic fiction, illustrated, allegories, adventure, siblings, children's classics, beavers, animals, Santa Claus, war, witchcraft, statues, fiction, childhood, royalty, magic, Great Britain, British, temptation, anthropomorphism, novel, Bookwyrms, religion, 20th century, supernatural, military, prose

The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe by C. S. Lewis (1950)

The Book of Three by Lloyd Alexander (FFortuna, Polenth, Omnigeek)
    Omnigeek: Classic Welsh mythology transformed into a children's fable enjoyable for all ages. The Book of Three is the first of Lloyd Alexander's pentology, The Prydain Chronicles, and starts the growth of young orphan (and Assistant Pig Keeper) Taran into a man.
    Five Children and It by E. Nesbit (Polenth)
    Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (Book 1) by J. K. Rowling (Patangel)
    The Neverending Story by Michael Ende (GWoloszczuk)
    GWoloszczuk: Another story were a child goes to a fantasy world.
    The Secret Country by Pamela Dean (wordweaver)
    wordweaver: This is a YA novel that takes the group-of-kids-discover-a-portal-into-a-fantasy-world idea found in the Narnia books and uses it to explore issues of the imagination. The world the children in this story encounter appears to based upon a fantasy game they had been playing, and many elements of that game were influenced by books the children had read, clearly including the Chronicles of Narnia.… (more)
    The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry (krizia_lazaro)
    The Door Within by Wayne Thomas Batson (multilingualmaid)
    A Walk Out of the World by Ruth Nichols (bookel)
    The Riddle of the Trumpalar by Judy Bernard-Waite (bookel)
    Challenge of the Trumpalar by Judy Bernard-Waite (bookel)
    Abarat by Clive Barker (Scottneumann)
    Breadcrumbs by Anne Ursu (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Ruled by a white witch, a wintry forest - enchanted and treacherous -- doesn't deter a young girl from trying to save a spellbound friend. Filled with fairy tale elements, both of these affecting fantasies speak to universal longings.
    The Wand: The Return to Mesmeria by Allan W. Eckert (bookel)
    Inkheart by Cornelia Funke (MissBrangwen)
    The Thief of Always by Clive Barker (Scottneumann)
    The Way to Windra by Patricia G. Baehr (bookel)
    The Hunt for the Eye of Ogin by Patrick Doud (Death_By_Papercut)
    Death_By_Papercut: Normal kids in a magical new world.
    A Roomful of Magic by John Marsden (bookel)
    Into the Happy Glade by Trevor Dudley-Smith (bookel)
    The Magical Cupboard by Jane Louise Curry (bookel)

1950s (13)
Unread books (1,042)

English (473)  Italian (2)  Dutch (2)  Finnish (2)  Spanish (2)  Polish (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Hungarian (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  All languages (485)
A family of children (two sisters and two brothers) are taken to the countryside to live with their Uncle due to war being waged in England. During playtime in the house, Lucy comes across a wardrobe in which she hides in. At the back of the wardrobe she is transported into another world. At first her other three siblings do not believe she was transported into the new world. Edmund is transported with Lucy into the new world and encounters the White Witch. It is through this interaction that Edmund is convinced to bring all siblings back into Narnia. Once in Narnia, the children are swept into a adventure to defeat the White Witch and meet Aslan. Edmund is eventually captured by the White Witch, but rescued by his siblings and followers of Aslan. During the last battle of the book, Aslan is killed by the White Witch in sacrifice for Edmund's life. Aslan rises from the dead to join the four siblings in battle with the White Witch. The White Witch is defeated and the four siblings are crowned Kings and Queens of Narnia. The siblings live many years in Narnia, but are transported back to their own world where no time as passed. This book would be a great book to use in a book club type setting. Students could each take a turn representing certain roles when discussing the book. This book is great for using higher level thinking questions to get the students to really break down the book.
  LaurenBrow | Sep 17, 2016 |
Had this on Audio and keep the children listening, entertained and engaged. Good opening for learning about Christian Concepts ( )
  michellehewitt | Aug 31, 2016 |
This is a re-read. My mom read it to me when I was young, and I've read it several times since. I'm re-reading it now in an attempt to read the whole series straight through. It was as good as I remembered, a fantasy with heroes and villains and a plot that kept me turning pages, even though I knew the ending. ( )
  porch_reader | Aug 21, 2016 |
I love the dedication: it says in part.

My Dear Lucy,
I wrote this story for you, but when I began it I had not realized that girls grow quicker than books. As a result you are already too old for fairy tales, and by the time it is printed and bound you will be older still. But some day you will be old enough to start reading fairy tales again. ---

I guess I'm old enough to read fairy tales again.

This book was meant to be read before the Magician's Nephew. It makes a comment about you the reader having no idea who Aslan is. which of course you would know if you read the Magician's Nephew. ( )
  nx74defiant | Aug 15, 2016 |
There's something to be said for the friendly narration, but is there really anything here? The bizarre ending is fun in a menacing kind of way, I guess, but I can't really think of anything else that's halfway memorable. ( )
  Algybama | Aug 9, 2016 |
The whole air of the story is rich and strange and coherent; there is something of Hans Andersen's power to move and George MacDonald's power to create strange worlds, and it is, naturally, beautifully written.
added by Sylak | editThe Guardian (Feb 23, 1951)

When I began reading the story, it seemed well written but the fairy-tale atmosphere was curiously cut-and-dried... Two of my daughters re-educated me. I made the mistake of reading them the first chapter, and since then it has been two chapter a night, sometimes followed by tears when a third chapter is not forthcoming.
added by Shortride | editThe New York Times Book Review, Chad Walsh (pay site) (Nov 12, 1950)

C. S. Lewisprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Van Allsburg, ChrisCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
York, MichaelNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Lucy Barfield
My Dear Lucy,
I wrote this story for you, but when I began it I had not realized that girls grow quicker than books. As a result you are already too old for fairy tales, and by the time it is printed and bound you will be older still. But some day you will be old enough to start reading fairy tales again. You can then take it down from some upper shelf, dust it, and tell me what you think of it. I shall probably be too deaf to hear, and too old to understand a word you say, but I shall still be
your affectionate Godfather,
C. S. Lewis
Once there were four children whose names were Peter, Susan, Edmund and Lucy.
"It means," said Aslan, "that though the witch knew the Deep Magic, there is a magic deeper still, which she did not know. Her knowledge goes back only to the dawn of time. But if she could have looked a little further back, into the stillness and darkness before Time dawned, she would have read there a different incantation. She would have known that when a willing victim who had committed no treachery was killed in a traitor's stead, the Table would crack and Death itself would start working backwards."
"How stupid of me! But I've never seen a Son of Adam or a Daughter of Eve before. I am delighted..."
Unabridged. Please do NOT combine with any abridged edition.

Please do NOT combine ISBN 0007206054 (abridged movie storybook) with original full-length book.

Please do NOT combine "The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe" with "The Chronicles of Narnia"

Though some gender roles

are outdated, the story

stands the test of time.

(CathWhitney)

There are a thousand stories in the land of Narnia, and the first is about to be told in an extraordinary motion picture, The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe, from Walt Disney Pictures and Walden Media.

In the never-ending war between good and evil, The Chronicles of Narnia set the stage for battles of epic proportions. Some take place in vast fields, where the forces of light and darkness clash. But other battles occur within the small chambers of the heart and are equally decisive.

Journeys to the ends of the world, fantastic creatures, betrayals, heroic deeds and friendships won and lost -- all come together in an unforgettable world of magic. So join the battle to end all battles.

The second volume in
The Chronicles of Narnia®
The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe

Narnia .... a land frozen in eternal winter ... a country waiting to be set free.

Four adventurers step through a wardrobe door and into the land of Narnia -- a land enslaved by the power of the White Witch. But when almost all hope is lost, the return of the Great Lion, Aslan, signals a great change ... and a great sacrifice.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:23 -0400)

Four English school children find their way through the back of a wardrobe into the magic land of Narnia and assist Aslan, the golden lion, to triumph over the White Witch who has cursed the land with eternal winter.

Legacy Library: C. S. Lewis

C. S. Lewis has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See C. S. Lewis's legacy profile.

See C. S. Lewis's author page.

4 2041

HarperCollins Childrens Books

An edition of this book was published by HarperCollins Childrens Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,106,785 books! | Top bar: Always visible