The Lion, The Witch, And The Wardrobe by C.…

The Lion, The Witch, And The Wardrobe (original 1950; edition 1970)

by C. S. Lewis

Member:amandadarkens
Title:The Lion, The Witch, And The Wardrobe
Authors:C. S. Lewis
Info:
Tags:Christian, fantasy, fiction, adventure, magic

The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe by C. S. Lewis (1950)

1950s (7)
Unread books (1,055)
    The Book of Three by Lloyd Alexander (FFortuna, Polenth, Omnigeek)
    Omnigeek: Classic Welsh mythology transformed into a children's fable enjoyable for all ages. The Book of Three is the first of Lloyd Alexander's pentology, The Prydain Chronicles, and starts the growth of young orphan (and Assistant Pig Keeper) Taran into a man.
    Five Children and It by E. Nesbit (Polenth)
    Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J. K. Rowling (Patangel)
    The Neverending Story by Michael Ende (GWoloszczuk)
    GWoloszczuk: Another story were a child goes to a fantasy world.
    The Secret Country by Pamela Dean (wordweaver)
    wordweaver: This is a YA novel that takes the group-of-kids-discover-a-portal-into-a-fantasy-world idea found in the Narnia books and uses it to explore issues of the imagination. The world the children in this story encounter appears to based upon a fantasy game they had been playing, and many elements of that game were influenced by books the children had read, clearly including the Chronicles of Narnia.… (more)
    Walk Out Of The World by Ruth Nichols (bookel)
    The Door Within by Wayne Thomas Batson (multilingualmaid)
    The Wand: The Return to Mesmeria by Allan W. Eckert (bookel)
    Challenge of the Trumpalar by Judy Bernard-Waite (bookel)
    The Riddle of the Trumpalar by Judy Bernard-Waite (bookel)
    The Thief of Always by Clive Barker (Scottneumann)
    Abarat by Clive Barker (Scottneumann)
    The Magical Cupboard by Jane Louise Curry (bookel)
    Into the Happy Glade by Trevor Dudley-Smith (bookel)
    The Hunt for the Eye of Ogin by Patrick Doud (Death_By_Papercut)
    Death_By_Papercut: Normal kids in a magical new world.
    A Roomful of Magic by John Marsden (bookel)
    The Way to Windra by Patricia G. Baehr (bookel)
    The Dragons of Ordinary Farm by Tad Williams (Scottneumann)
    The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry (krizia_lazaro)
    The Dark Green Tunnel by Allan W. Eckert (bookel)

English (352)  Italian (2)  Finnish (2)  Dutch (2)  Polish (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Spanish (1)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (363)
I really enjoyed this book. I love the the creative mind of this author. I enjoyed the plot the most. It was very suspenseful, and moved at a fast pace. Within the first chapter the first character, Lucy, was already in the wardrobe. I love the creative writing that was displayed in this book. The authors ideas are so unique it catches the readers off guard, but engages them at the same time. For example, the author decided that when they're in the wardrobe, time stands still in real time. I would have never thought of that tricky concept! Also, I love that the characters come in contact with animals and fun creatures that are willing to help them along the way(Mr and Mrs. Beaver, Mr. Temus). The overall message of this story is that good will always be more powerful than evil, and that bravery is one of the most valuable virtues. ( )
  eschoe1 | Oct 23, 2014 |
Everyone was a little bit too nice in this book, which always bothers me deeply. ( )
  humblewomble | Oct 19, 2014 |
(6.1)
  mshampson | Oct 15, 2014 |
The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe follows the story of four adventurous siblings. The accidental discovery of a magical land, leads to extraordinary responsibility and duty of Peter, Edmund, Lucy, and Susan. I truly appreciated this novel for a matchless storyline, the roles of characters and magical world is unlike any other readings I have experienced. From the moment Lucy entered the wardrobe, I was hooked. I could not allow myself to put this book down until I was finished! The sketch-like drawings placed every few places were a refreshing pause from the text. I would strongly encourage this reading to upper level elementary students for entertainment and a break from the traditionally assigned literature. ( )
  nfigue1 | Oct 13, 2014 |
RGG: Readable, enjoyable, but a bit anachronistic. Worth encouraging students to read. Level: 10-12.
  rgruberexcel | Oct 2, 2014 |
The whole air of the story is rich and strange and coherent; there is something of Hans Andersen's power to move and George MacDonald's power to create strange worlds, and it is, naturally, beautifully written.
added by Sylak | editThe Guardian (Feb 23, 1951)

When I began reading the story, it seemed well written but the fairy-tale atmosphere was curiously cut-and-dried... Two of my daughters re-educated me. I made the mistake of reading them the first chapter, and since then it has been two chapter a night, sometimes followed by tears when a third chapter is not forthcoming.
added by Shortride | editThe New York Times Book Review, Chad Walsh (pay site) (Nov 12, 1950)

C. S. Lewisprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Van Allsburg, ChrisCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
York, MichaelNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Lucy Barfield
My Dear Lucy,
I wrote this story for you, but when I began it I had not realized that girls grow quicker than books. As a result you are already too old for fairy tales, and by the time it is printed and bound you will be older still. But some day you will be old enough to start reading fairy tales again. You can then take it down from some upper shelf, dust it, and tell me what you think of it. I shall probably be too deaf to hear, and too old to understand a word you say, but I shall still be
your affectionate Godfather,
C. S. Lewis
Once there were four children whose names were Peter, Susan, Edmund and Lucy.
"It means," said Aslan, that though the witch knew the Deep Magic, there is a magic deeper still, which she did not know. Her knowledge goes back only to the dawn of time. But if she could have looked a little further back, into the stillness and darkness before Time dawned, she would have read there a different incantation. She would have known that when a willing victim who had committed no treachery was killed in a traitor's stead, the Table would crack and Death itself would start working backwards.
"How stupid of me! But I've never seen a Son of Adam or a Daughter of Eve before. I am delighted..."
Unabridged. Please do NOT combine with any abridged edition.

Please do NOT combine ISBN 0007206054 (abridged movie storybook) with original full-length book.

Please do NOT combine "The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe" with "The Chronicles of Narnia"

There are a thousand stories in the land of Narnia, and the first is about to be told in an extraordinary motion picture, The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe, from Walt Disney Pictures and Walden Media.

In the never-ending war between good and evil, The Chronicles of Narnia set the stage for battles of epic proportions. Some take place in vast fields, where the forces of light and darkness clash. But other battles occur within the small chambers of the heart and are equally decisive.

Journeys to the ends of the world, fantastic creatures, betrayals, heroic deeds and friendships won and lost -- all come together in an unforgettable world of magic. So join the battle to end all battles.

The second volume in
The Chronicles of Narnia®
The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe

Narnia .... a land frozen in eternal winter ... a country waiting to be set free.

Four adventurers step through a wardrobe door and into the land of Narnia -- a land enslaved by the power of the White Witch. But when almost all hope is lost, the return of the Great Lion, Aslan, signals a great change ... and a great sacrifice.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:27:39 -0400)

Four English school children find their way through the back of a wardrobe into the magic land of Narnia and assist Aslan, the golden lion, to triumph over the White Witch who has cursed the land with eternal winter.

Legacy Library: C. S. Lewis

C. S. Lewis has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See C. S. Lewis's legacy profile.

See C. S. Lewis's author page.

Nine editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,410,533 books! | Top bar: Always visible