The Lion, The Witch, And The Wardrobe by C.…

The Lion, The Witch, And The Wardrobe (original 1950; edition 1970)

by C. S. Lewis

Member:amandadarkens
Title:The Lion, The Witch, And The Wardrobe
Authors:C. S. Lewis
Info:Collier (1970), Paperback, 192 pages
Tags:Christian, fantasy, fiction, adventure, magic

The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe by C. S. Lewis (1950)

The Book of Three by Lloyd Alexander (FFortuna, Polenth, Omnigeek)
    Omnigeek: Classic Welsh mythology transformed into a children's fable enjoyable for all ages. The Book of Three is the first of Lloyd Alexander's pentology, The Prydain Chronicles, and starts the growth of young orphan (and Assistant Pig Keeper) Taran into a man.
    Five Children and It by E. Nesbit (Polenth)
    Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (Book 1) by J. K. Rowling (Patangel)
    The Neverending Story by Michael Ende (GWoloszczuk)
    GWoloszczuk: Another story were a child goes to a fantasy world.
    The Secret Country by Pamela Dean (wordweaver)
    wordweaver: This is a YA novel that takes the group-of-kids-discover-a-portal-into-a-fantasy-world idea found in the Narnia books and uses it to explore issues of the imagination. The world the children in this story encounter appears to based upon a fantasy game they had been playing, and many elements of that game were influenced by books the children had read, clearly including the Chronicles of Narnia.… (more)
    The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry (krizia_lazaro)
    The Door Within by Wayne Thomas Batson (multilingualmaid)
    A Walk out of the World by Ruth Nichols (bookel)
    The Riddle of the Trumpalar by Judy Bernard-Waite (bookel)
    Challenge of the Trumpalar by Judy Bernard-Waite (bookel)
    Abarat by Clive Barker (Scottneumann)
    Breadcrumbs by Anne Ursu (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Ruled by a white witch, a wintry forest - enchanted and treacherous -- doesn't deter a young girl from trying to save a spellbound friend. Filled with fairy tale elements, both of these affecting fantasies speak to universal longings.
    The Wand: The Return to Mesmeria by Allan W. Eckert (bookel)
    Inkheart by Cornelia Funke (MissBrangwen)
    The Thief of Always by Clive Barker (Scottneumann)
    The Way to Windra by Patricia G. Baehr (bookel)
    The Hunt for the Eye of Ogin by Patrick Doud (Death_By_Papercut)
    Death_By_Papercut: Normal kids in a magical new world.
    A Roomful of Magic by John Marsden (bookel)
    Into the Happy Glade by Trevor Dudley-Smith (bookel)
    The Magical Cupboard by Jane Louise Curry (bookel)

1950s (13)
Unread books (1,037)

English (515)  Italian (2)  Dutch (2)  Finnish (2)  Spanish (2)  Polish (1)  All (1)  Hungarian (1)  All (1)  All (527)
The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe is a fantasy novel written by C.S. Lewis. The book follows a group of siblings named Peter, Susan, Edmund, and Lucy on their travels through the wonderful world of Narnia. While in Narnia, the children learn the true power of courage and bravery when they are faced with the evil White Witch. The children, along with the magical lion Aslan, defeat the evil witch and bring peace back to Narnia.
The cover design for this book features a Satyr holding a parcel. This picture in very beautiful and connects well with the contents held within the story. This book is best suited for who are just becoming interested in fantasy books. The book is an easy read, but also contains a great story. ( )
  lchs.mrso | May 23, 2017 |
Been awhile since I read this. I'm just finishing reading it aloud to my five year old. She's still too young and I am not sure how much she gets, but I'm loving it. This is a great read-aloud-book. Lewis is a great storyteller. ( )
  Jamichuk | May 22, 2017 |
This is one of my seven favorite books. I can't pick just one of "The Chronicles of Narnia".

I love the world of Narnia and its magical characters, and experiencing that land through the eyes of the Pevensie children, arriving from a war-torn home.

I love that one can read this book for an enjoyable story or one can choose to look deeper into it to do some thinking and soul-searching. Even though I've read this book 9 times (and listened to it once), I can still learn new things about it.

[SPOILERS BELOW]
I love the retelling of the Biblical crucifixion story (or the "supposal", as Lewis called it). It's a way that children can be introduced to Jesus' sacrifice and a way that it can be made personal for them, as Aslan only dies directly for Edmund. It's also a way that adults can look at His sacrifice from a different angle and maybe notice some things they've never noticed before (helpful if you grew up in church and have heard the story a million times).
[END SPOILERS]

Someday, I'll write a review that comes closer to doing my favorite book series justice. But this is it for today. ;) ( )
  danaenicole | Apr 30, 2017 |
this was a great classic story about a group of children who find this alternate world to escape to because of the trials they are having in the real world. this is a great adventure book about facing your fears and going adventures that you never would have before. therefore a great addition to any library.
  Lisamegis | Apr 26, 2017 |
This book would be great for a fifth-grade classroom read aloud. After the book is read, I would use it as an example for a writing assignment where the children would create their own world inside the wardrobe. They would illustrate their wardrobe and the world within it. Then they would explain why they chose that world and the significance the characters have in the world. If the characters have magical powers, the challenges they may face, if they are hidden royalty, etc. will all have to be explained in their stories.
  EllieDowns | Apr 18, 2017 |
When I began reading the story, it seemed well written but the fairy-tale atmosphere was curiously cut-and-dried... Two of my daughters re-educated me. I made the mistake of reading them the first chapter, and since then it has been two chapter a night, sometimes followed by tears when a third chapter is not forthcoming.
added by Shortride | editThe New York Times Book Review, Chad Walsh (pay site) (Nov 12, 1950)

C. S. Lewisprimary authorall editionscalculated
Van Allsburg, ChrisCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
York, MichaelNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Lucy Barfield
My Dear Lucy,
I wrote this story for you, but when I began it I had not realized that girls grow quicker than books. As a result you are already too old for fairy tales, and by the time it is printed and bound you will be older still. But some day you will be old enough to start reading fairy tales again. You can then take it down from some upper shelf, dust it, and tell me what you think of it. I shall probably be too deaf to hear, and too old to understand a word you say, but I shall still be
your affectionate Godfather,
C. S. Lewis
Once there were four children whose names were Peter, Susan, Edmund and Lucy.
"It means," said Aslan, "that though the witch knew the Deep Magic, there is a magic deeper still, which she did not know. Her knowledge goes back only to the dawn of time. But if she could have looked a little further back, into the stillness and darkness before Time dawned, she would have read there a different incantation. She would have known that when a willing victim who had committed no treachery was killed in a traitor's stead, the Table would crack and Death itself would start working backwards."
"How stupid of me! But I've never seen a Son of Adam or a Daughter of Eve before. I am delighted..."
Unabridged. Please do NOT combine with any abridged edition.

Please do NOT combine ISBN 0007206054 (abridged movie storybook) with original full-length book.

Please do NOT combine "The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe" with "The Chronicles of Narnia"

0001857010 is also an abridged version.

Though some gender roles

are outdated, the story

stands the test of time.

(CathWhitney)

There are a thousand stories in the land of Narnia, and the first is about to be told in an extraordinary motion picture, The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe, from Walt Disney Pictures and Walden Media.

In the never-ending war between good and evil, The Chronicles of Narnia set the stage for battles of epic proportions. Some take place in vast fields, where the forces of light and darkness clash. But other battles occur within the small chambers of the heart and are equally decisive.

Journeys to the ends of the world, fantastic creatures, betrayals, heroic deeds and friendships won and lost -- all come together in an unforgettable world of magic. So join the battle to end all battles.

The second volume in
The Chronicles of Narnia®
The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe

Narnia .... a land frozen in eternal winter ... a country waiting to be set free.

Four adventurers step through a wardrobe door and into the land of Narnia -- a land enslaved by the power of the White Witch. But when almost all hope is lost, the return of the Great Lion, Aslan, signals a great change ... and a great sacrifice.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:23 -0400)

Four English school children find their way through the back of a wardrobe into the magic land of Narnia and assist Aslan, the golden lion, to triumph over the White Witch who has cursed the land with eternal winter.

Legacy Library: C. S. Lewis

C. S. Lewis has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See C. S. Lewis's legacy profile.

See C. S. Lewis's author page.

4 2095

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,442,121 books! | Top bar: Always visible