The Lion, The Witch, And The Wardrobe by C.…

The Lion, The Witch, And The Wardrobe (original 1950; edition 1970)

by C. S. Lewis

Title:The Lion, The Witch, And The Wardrobe
Authors:C. S. Lewis
Info:Collier (1970), Paperback, 192 pages
Tags:Christian, fantasy, fiction, adventure, magic

The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe by C. S. Lewis (1950)

The Book of Three by Lloyd Alexander (FFortuna, Polenth, Omnigeek)
    Omnigeek: Classic Welsh mythology transformed into a children's fable enjoyable for all ages. The Book of Three is the first of Lloyd Alexander's pentology, The Prydain Chronicles, and starts the growth of young orphan (and Assistant Pig Keeper) Taran into a man.
    Five Children and It by E. Nesbit (Polenth)
    Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (Book 1) by J. K. Rowling (Patangel)
    The Neverending Story by Michael Ende (GWoloszczuk)
    GWoloszczuk: Another story were a child goes to a fantasy world.
    The Secret Country by Pamela Dean (wordweaver)
    wordweaver: This is a YA novel that takes the group-of-kids-discover-a-portal-into-a-fantasy-world idea found in the Narnia books and uses it to explore issues of the imagination. The world the children in this story encounter appears to based upon a fantasy game they had been playing, and many elements of that game were influenced by books the children had read, clearly including the Chronicles of Narnia.… (more)
    A Walk Out of the World by Ruth Nichols (bookel)
    The Door Within by Wayne Thomas Batson (multilingualmaid)
    Challenge of the Trumpalar by Judy Bernard-Waite (bookel)
    The Riddle of the Trumpalar by Judy Bernard-Waite (bookel)
    Abarat by Clive Barker (Scottneumann)
    Inkheart by Cornelia Funke (MissBrangwen)
    Breadcrumbs by Anne Ursu (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Ruled by a white witch, a wintry forest - enchanted and treacherous -- doesn't deter a young girl from trying to save a spellbound friend. Filled with fairy tale elements, both of these affecting fantasies speak to universal longings.
    The Wand: The Return to Mesmeria by Allan W. Eckert (bookel)
    The Thief of Always by Clive Barker (Scottneumann)
    The Way to Windra by Patricia G. Baehr (bookel)
    The Hunt for the Eye of Ogin by Patrick Doud (Death_By_Papercut)
    Death_By_Papercut: Normal kids in a magical new world.
    The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry (krizia_lazaro)
    A Roomful of Magic by John Marsden (bookel)
    Into the Happy Glade by Trevor Dudley-Smith (bookel)
    The Magical Cupboard by Jane Louise Curry (bookel)

1950s (12)
Unread books (1,161)

English (405)  Italian (2)  Finnish (2)  Dutch (2)  Polish (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Spanish (1)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (416)
The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe is a magical and mysterious novel. I loved this book because it reminded me of my childhood. I personally have never read this book but I have seen the movies. This book has many different messages. The one that stood out the most for me is good verse evil. This theme of good vs. evil is a reoccurring theme in this novel however it shows that good always wins. The journey of the four children, throughout this book, is very thrilling. They discover this new world that they have never seen before. They discover that this world is way different than our world; there are different creatures and these creatures talk. The one boy, Edmund, is under a “spell” with the evil witch but other than him, everyone else is on the good side. They see what is happening to this world and the evil witch needs to be stopped. When Aslan comes back to Narnia, the good Lion, he battles the evil witch. This battle proves that no matter what happens, good will defeat evil. I also loved how friendly this book was to the readers. Meaning that the author constantly talks to the readers in a different style. If words are confusing in this book, the author will put a different meaning in parentheses so that every reader can understand. ( )
  Jvoorh1 | Sep 23, 2015 |
This book is an all-time favorite of mine. The author engages the reader through an interesting plot. Having the Queen as the antagonist keeps the reader's suspense going because they know that the danger is always out there. The language used in the book is descriptive and clear. Through the use of thoughts that are placed in parentheses, the author keeps the attention of the reader on certain things. For example, the phrase referring to the fact that it is silly to lock oneself in a wardrobe appears numbers times in quotations. This allows the readers to focus on a possible foreshadow. Overall, there are a number of themes that can be found throughout the story. The one that I find most prevalent is the theme of redemption and rebirth. Edmund, although he turned to the dark side, was given a chance at redemption by Aslan. He then proved himself as worthy of that forgiveness as he fights along the others against the White Witch. ( )
  rpotte5 | Sep 23, 2015 |
There are several reasons why I liked this book. The third person point of view really lent itself to the story, since there were so many characters with different perspectives throughout the story. For example, the White Witch and Aslan are two polar opposite characters, and it helped to see the story from an outside perspective. The characters themselves were another of this books strong points. One of my favorites was Mr. Beaver, the loyal sidekick who helped lead the main characters out of harms way. The book also had very neat illustrations scattered throughout (some copies may not have this), and I found that to be very helpful. My favorite illustration was the one of the White Witch driving Edmund, a main character, through the woods. It really showcased the despair he felt at the time. There were several big ideas throughout this book, but one of the main ones was forgiveness and sacrifice. Without giving away to much of the story, I'll say that one of the main characters intentionally sacrifices himself in order for another character to be forgiven. ( )
  rking17 | Sep 17, 2015 |
I really enjoyed this book for a variety of reasons. One reason being that there is a lot of "what will happen next" sequencing, but on a more advanced level than a picture book, for example. The adventure aspect leaves readers wanting to go on the the next chapter constantly, and I think that's very important when writing for an audience of children/young people. I also liked the creative language used by the author. Words such as inquisitive, alight, and betrayal are all interesting words to use in order to create a flow in the story. Having a variety of word choice also helps teachers create lessons based on vocabulary found in the book. Overall, the main message of the book can be seperated into themes: good vs. evil, compassion/forgiveness, spirituality, guilt/blame, etc. I think that most of the book, however, is centered around bravery and loyalty. ( )
  Ajohns93 | Sep 17, 2015 |
Very good indeed and entertaining too!
I love Aslan.. a very cool name for a LION! :) ( )
  smiley0905 | Sep 3, 2015 |
The whole air of the story is rich and strange and coherent; there is something of Hans Andersen's power to move and George MacDonald's power to create strange worlds, and it is, naturally, beautifully written.
added by Sylak | editThe Guardian (Feb 23, 1951)
When I began reading the story, it seemed well written but the fairy-tale atmosphere was curiously cut-and-dried... Two of my daughters re-educated me. I made the mistake of reading them the first chapter, and since then it has been two chapter a night, sometimes followed by tears when a third chapter is not forthcoming.
added by Shortride | editThe New York Times Book Review, Chad Walsh (pay site) (Nov 12, 1950)

C. S. Lewisprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Van Allsburg, ChrisCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
York, MichaelNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Lucy Barfield
My Dear Lucy,
I wrote this story for you, but when I began it I had not realized that girls grow quicker than books. As a result you are already too old for fairy tales, and by the time it is printed and bound you will be older still. But some day you will be old enough to start reading fairy tales again. You can then take it down from some upper shelf, dust it, and tell me what you think of it. I shall probably be too deaf to hear, and too old to understand a word you say, but I shall still be
your affectionate Godfather,
C. S. Lewis
Once there were four children whose names were Peter, Susan, Edmund and Lucy.
"It means," said Aslan, "that though the witch knew the Deep Magic, there is a magic deeper still, which she did not know. Her knowledge goes back only to the dawn of time. But if she could have looked a little further back, into the stillness and darkness before Time dawned, she would have read there a different incantation. She would have known that when a willing victim who had committed no treachery was killed in a traitor's stead, the Table would crack and Death itself would start working backwards."
"How stupid of me! But I've never seen a Son of Adam or a Daughter of Eve before. I am delighted..."
Unabridged. Please do NOT combine with any abridged edition.

Please do NOT combine ISBN 0007206054 (abridged movie storybook) with original full-length book.

Please do NOT combine "The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe" with "The Chronicles of Narnia"

There are a thousand stories in the land of Narnia, and the first is about to be told in an extraordinary motion picture, The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe, from Walt Disney Pictures and Walden Media.

In the never-ending war between good and evil, The Chronicles of Narnia set the stage for battles of epic proportions. Some take place in vast fields, where the forces of light and darkness clash. But other battles occur within the small chambers of the heart and are equally decisive.

Journeys to the ends of the world, fantastic creatures, betrayals, heroic deeds and friendships won and lost -- all come together in an unforgettable world of magic. So join the battle to end all battles.

The second volume in
The Chronicles of Narnia®
The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe

Narnia .... a land frozen in eternal winter ... a country waiting to be set free.

Four adventurers step through a wardrobe door and into the land of Narnia -- a land enslaved by the power of the White Witch. But when almost all hope is lost, the return of the Great Lion, Aslan, signals a great change ... and a great sacrifice.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:23 -0400)

Four English school children find their way through the back of a wardrobe into the magic land of Narnia and assist Aslan, the golden lion, to triumph over the White Witch who has cursed the land with eternal winter.

Legacy Library: C. S. Lewis

C. S. Lewis has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See C. S. Lewis's legacy profile.

See C. S. Lewis's author page.

HarperCollins Childrens Books

An edition of this book was published by HarperCollins Childrens Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,689,126 books! | Top bar: Always visible