The Lion, The Witch, And The Wardrobe by C.…

The Lion, The Witch, And The Wardrobe (original 1950; edition 1970)

by C. S. Lewis

Title:The Lion, The Witch, And The Wardrobe
Authors:C. S. Lewis
Info:Collier (1970), Paperback, 192 pages
Tags:Christian, fantasy, fiction, adventure, magic

The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe by C. S. Lewis (1950)

The Book of Three by Lloyd Alexander (FFortuna, Polenth, Omnigeek)
    Omnigeek: Classic Welsh mythology transformed into a children's fable enjoyable for all ages. The Book of Three is the first of Lloyd Alexander's pentology, The Prydain Chronicles, and starts the growth of young orphan (and Assistant Pig Keeper) Taran into a man.
    Five Children and It by E. Nesbit (Polenth)
    Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (Book 1) by J. K. Rowling (Patangel)
    The Neverending Story by Michael Ende (GWoloszczuk)
    GWoloszczuk: Another story were a child goes to a fantasy world.
    The Secret Country by Pamela Dean (wordweaver)
    wordweaver: This is a YA novel that takes the group-of-kids-discover-a-portal-into-a-fantasy-world idea found in the Narnia books and uses it to explore issues of the imagination. The world the children in this story encounter appears to based upon a fantasy game they had been playing, and many elements of that game were influenced by books the children had read, clearly including the Chronicles of Narnia.… (more)
    A Walk Out of the World by Ruth Nichols (bookel)
    The Door Within by Wayne Thomas Batson (multilingualmaid)
    Challenge of the Trumpalar by Judy Bernard-Waite (bookel)
    The Riddle of the Trumpalar by Judy Bernard-Waite (bookel)
    Abarat by Clive Barker (Scottneumann)
    Inkheart by Cornelia Funke (MissBrangwen)
    Breadcrumbs by Anne Ursu (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Ruled by a white witch, a wintry forest - enchanted and treacherous -- doesn't deter a young girl from trying to save a spellbound friend. Filled with fairy tale elements, both of these affecting fantasies speak to universal longings.
    The Wand: The Return to Mesmeria by Allan W. Eckert (bookel)
    The Thief of Always by Clive Barker (Scottneumann)
    The Way to Windra by Patricia G. Baehr (bookel)
    The Hunt for the Eye of Ogin by Patrick Doud (Death_By_Papercut)
    Death_By_Papercut: Normal kids in a magical new world.
    The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry (krizia_lazaro)
    A Roomful of Magic by John Marsden (bookel)
    Into the Happy Glade by Trevor Dudley-Smith (bookel)
    The Magical Cupboard by Jane Louise Curry (bookel)

1950s (12)
Unread books (1,160)

English (410)  Italian (2)  Dutch (2)  Finnish (2)  Spanish (2)  Polish (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Hungarian (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  All languages (422)
It's not Tolkien!
Read Samoa June 2002 ( )
  mbmackay | Nov 26, 2015 |
I love C.S. Lewis and his writing so I really did love reading this story again! I have similar beliefs as he does, so maybe that is why I appreciate his writing and metaphors so much.
  emilyauer | Nov 18, 2015 |
The chronicles of Narnia. This book is a childhood favorite of mine. C.S. Lewis brings his talent forward in such a lovely storytelling of siblings adventuring to a new land full of danger and wonder. Must read for all ages! ( )
  gracelovera | Nov 17, 2015 |
This book is very fun to read because no one would ever expect that through a wardrobe there would be a magical and unexpected world called Narnina. The relationships that these siblings have with each other is touching to read about and as the book continued I became more and more sad that it was almost over.
  ninaberger | Nov 16, 2015 |
I wanted to read this again as I read the whole series as a child but wanted to read it again with the lens of an adult. I am so glad I did as it really holds up! It’s the story of 4 children who are part of the evacuee program during the Blitz in London of WWII. (Incidentally, this was something my grandmother had been a part of in England and I had heard stories of growing up! It has always fascinated me that kids went to go live with strangers in the countryside). These 4 kids end up in a huge house out in the country with a mysterious professor and his housekeeper. During some indoor games one of the children, Lucy, goes through a wardrobe into the land of Narnia where the White Witch has made it always winter but never Christmas. She befriends Mr. Tumnus, a faun who later is kidnapped because of her. Eventually all of the children come through the wardrobe and fulfill a prophecy that if these 4 children take the 4 thrones at the Palace of Cair Paravel, then Aslan, the lion and Christ-figure will sacrifice himself to defeat the witch and bring peace and joy back to Narnia. It is such a wonderful story and there could be so much to discuss with students (forgiveness, world-building, creative characters etc.). I know that even though the dialogue might be above their heads, but I think it would make a great read aloud for even younger grades. ( )
  LaurenCollins85 | Oct 25, 2015 |
The whole air of the story is rich and strange and coherent; there is something of Hans Andersen's power to move and George MacDonald's power to create strange worlds, and it is, naturally, beautifully written.
added by Sylak | editThe Guardian (Feb 23, 1951)
When I began reading the story, it seemed well written but the fairy-tale atmosphere was curiously cut-and-dried... Two of my daughters re-educated me. I made the mistake of reading them the first chapter, and since then it has been two chapter a night, sometimes followed by tears when a third chapter is not forthcoming.
added by Shortride | editThe New York Times Book Review, Chad Walsh (pay site) (Nov 12, 1950)

C. S. Lewisprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Van Allsburg, ChrisCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
York, MichaelNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Lucy Barfield
My Dear Lucy,
I wrote this story for you, but when I began it I had not realized that girls grow quicker than books. As a result you are already too old for fairy tales, and by the time it is printed and bound you will be older still. But some day you will be old enough to start reading fairy tales again. You can then take it down from some upper shelf, dust it, and tell me what you think of it. I shall probably be too deaf to hear, and too old to understand a word you say, but I shall still be
your affectionate Godfather,
C. S. Lewis
Once there were four children whose names were Peter, Susan, Edmund and Lucy.
"It means," said Aslan, "that though the witch knew the Deep Magic, there is a magic deeper still, which she did not know. Her knowledge goes back only to the dawn of time. But if she could have looked a little further back, into the stillness and darkness before Time dawned, she would have read there a different incantation. She would have known that when a willing victim who had committed no treachery was killed in a traitor's stead, the Table would crack and Death itself would start working backwards."
"How stupid of me! But I've never seen a Son of Adam or a Daughter of Eve before. I am delighted..."
Unabridged. Please do NOT combine with any abridged edition.

Please do NOT combine ISBN 0007206054 (abridged movie storybook) with original full-length book.

Please do NOT combine "The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe" with "The Chronicles of Narnia"

There are a thousand stories in the land of Narnia, and the first is about to be told in an extraordinary motion picture, The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe, from Walt Disney Pictures and Walden Media.

In the never-ending war between good and evil, The Chronicles of Narnia set the stage for battles of epic proportions. Some take place in vast fields, where the forces of light and darkness clash. But other battles occur within the small chambers of the heart and are equally decisive.

Journeys to the ends of the world, fantastic creatures, betrayals, heroic deeds and friendships won and lost -- all come together in an unforgettable world of magic. So join the battle to end all battles.

The second volume in
The Chronicles of Narnia®
The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe

Narnia .... a land frozen in eternal winter ... a country waiting to be set free.

Four adventurers step through a wardrobe door and into the land of Narnia -- a land enslaved by the power of the White Witch. But when almost all hope is lost, the return of the Great Lion, Aslan, signals a great change ... and a great sacrifice.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:23 -0400)

Four English school children find their way through the back of a wardrobe into the magic land of Narnia and assist Aslan, the golden lion, to triumph over the White Witch who has cursed the land with eternal winter.

Legacy Library: C. S. Lewis

C. S. Lewis has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See C. S. Lewis's legacy profile.

See C. S. Lewis's author page.

HarperCollins Childrens Books

An edition of this book was published by HarperCollins Childrens Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,849,633 books! | Top bar: Always visible