The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe (The…

The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe (The Chronicles of Narnia, Book 2) (original 1950; edition 2002)

by C. S. Lewis, Cliff Nielsen (Contributor), Pauline Baynes (Illustrator)

Title:The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe (The Chronicles of Narnia, Book 2)
Authors:C. S. Lewis
Other authors:Cliff Nielsen (Contributor), Pauline Baynes (Illustrator)
Info:HarperCollinsChildren'sBooks (2002), Edition: New edition, Paperback, 176 pages
Collections:Kindle, Your library
Tags:British literature, Modern classics, English language

The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe by C. S. Lewis (1950)

The Book of Three by Lloyd Alexander (FFortuna, Polenth, Omnigeek)
    Omnigeek: Classic Welsh mythology transformed into a children's fable enjoyable for all ages. The Book of Three is the first of Lloyd Alexander's pentology, The Prydain Chronicles, and starts the growth of young orphan (and Assistant Pig Keeper) Taran into a man.
    Five Children and It by E. Nesbit (Polenth)
    Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (Book 1) by J. K. Rowling (Patangel)
    The Neverending Story by Michael Ende (GWoloszczuk)
    GWoloszczuk: Another story were a child goes to a fantasy world.
    The Secret Country by Pamela Dean (wordweaver)
    wordweaver: This is a YA novel that takes the group-of-kids-discover-a-portal-into-a-fantasy-world idea found in the Narnia books and uses it to explore issues of the imagination. The world the children in this story encounter appears to based upon a fantasy game they had been playing, and many elements of that game were influenced by books the children had read, clearly including the Chronicles of Narnia.… (more)
    The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry (krizia_lazaro)
    The Door Within by Wayne Thomas Batson (multilingualmaid)
    A Walk Out of the World by Ruth Nichols (bookel)
    The Riddle of the Trumpalar by Judy Bernard-Waite (bookel)
    Challenge of the Trumpalar by Judy Bernard-Waite (bookel)
    Abarat by Clive Barker (Scottneumann)
    Breadcrumbs by Anne Ursu (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Ruled by a white witch, a wintry forest - enchanted and treacherous -- doesn't deter a young girl from trying to save a spellbound friend. Filled with fairy tale elements, both of these affecting fantasies speak to universal longings.
    The Wand: The Return to Mesmeria by Allan W. Eckert (bookel)
    Inkheart by Cornelia Funke (MissBrangwen)
    The Thief of Always by Clive Barker (Scottneumann)
    The Way to Windra by Patricia G. Baehr (bookel)
    The Hunt for the Eye of Ogin by Patrick Doud (Death_By_Papercut)
    Death_By_Papercut: Normal kids in a magical new world.
    A Roomful of Magic by John Marsden (bookel)
    Into the Happy Glade by Trevor Dudley-Smith (bookel)
    The Magical Cupboard by Jane Louise Curry (bookel)

1950s (12)
Unread books (1,045)

English (480)  Italian (2)  Dutch (2)  Finnish (2)  Spanish (2)  Polish (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Hungarian (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  All languages (492)

The second grade teacher was reading this aloud to the Wolfchild's class, so I'm continuing it. Let me just say that C.S. Lewis is an excellent example of the follies of a white-male Eurocentric education. I picked up the story with Father Christmas's arrival. He's doling out weapons to children and he says he doesn't want the girls to use theirs because "war is an ugly thing when women fight". Give Tolkien his due, I doubt he believed it was the presence of women that kept war from being a pure and beautiful thing. The narrowness of the viewpoint is astounding to me. In the first place, Lewis has set up a civil war in which the bad guys are lead by a woman, so he's already gone the ugly route. In the second place, the principals here are four children. Who will be fighting monsters. The man feels no shame for setting up Edmund (who's what, eight or nine?) as the fall guy for an extremely powerful adult witch, so his pounding the Daughter of Eve drum isn't unexpected. Lucy is in turn blamed for not making the older ones believe her, because Lewis is the most victim-blamingest writer ever.

Truly, as an adult reading this stuff I'd wonder if Lewis wasn't suffering from some sort of tragic irony impairment, but he still manages to be amusing. As the narrator he has a really charming rapport with the children he's talking to. It's the charm that keeps you from noticing just how crazy the whole foundation is.

I used to love these books, but now I'm seeing it as a really creepy story. No wonder Pullman wrote [b:His Dark Materials Trilogy|18116|His Dark Materials Trilogy (The Golden Compass; The Subtle Knife; The Amber Spyglass)|Philip Pullman|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1166856232s/18116.jpg|1943518]. ( )
1 vote Kaethe | Oct 17, 2016 |
fantasy book
Four kids Peter, Susan, Edmund, and Lucy during WWII have no idea of the magical journey they are beginning. These kids stumble through an old wardrobe to the land of Narnia, where animals talk and magic exists. The story takes place in Narnia, the world were animals can talk and live free. It was great until the white witch cast a spell on it to snow (always winter) and never have spring. Legend has it that four humans would come to Narnia and help defeat the queen and rule Cair Paravel. This story runs a close relationship to the story of Jesus in the bible on how Aslan dies and arose again (sounds familiar right).

Personal Reaction:
This book is filled with fantasy and magic. This book brings a better understanding for kids if they have it hard comprehending the bible. I love to read books that make your mind travel to other time and lands. This book gives kids a chance to be whatever they want to be in life and fantasy.

Classroom Extension Ideas:
1.Ask your kids if they understand stories in the bible, if not then read this story to them.

2.Read this to your kids and see if they want to do a play.

3.Read to your kids and ask what they do if they were a king or a queen in this book. ( )
  cedric_edwards | Oct 14, 2016 |
I really liked this book, the main message of the story was that one can overcome anything with the help and support of family. I believe that this message was supported throughout the character development within the family. This development was seen through Edmund changing sides of the war once he noticed that the witch wanted to harm his siblings. I also enjoyed the plot of the story, it was not predictable. The plot seemed to follow a logical flow that made it seem as if it was a real war. ( )
  mlanni1 | Oct 8, 2016 |
I loved this book for multiple reasons. First, I loved the characters. They were very believable and to me, relatable because I have siblings and the way that the siblings interacted with each other reminded me of me and my siblings. For example, I could see myself acting the same way as Peter and Susan when Lucy told them about Narnia. I probably wouldn't believe my little sister either just because she is younger and more likely to play pretend. The way that Peter and Edmund would fight sometimes is also something that I could see me doing with my siblings.

Another reason I liked this book was because of the point of view. I liked that it wasn't just from one character's perspective. The narrator shares what is happening with all the children even if they weren't together at the same time. For example, the narrator simultaneously told what was happening when Edmund was on the journey to the Stone Table and also what was happening with the other children as they were traveling to the Stone Table. Since it wasn't just in, let's say Lucy's perspective, readers got to know more about the other characters and what they're experiencing.

In my opinion, the message of the story is to have courage. The children were so brave throughout the whole story and because of it, they were able to save Narnia. ( )
  cboswe2 | Sep 29, 2016 |
This is one of the best books I've read in a long time. I had read it in school when I was younger, but I had mostly forgotten everything that happened. I found that the story had a really good pace. There really wasn't a lot of downtime from action or adventure. It almost made it hard to put down sometimes because almost every chapter had a cliff hanger or something that made you want to read on. Obviously it is a chapter book, but it can be used in classrooms for younger students around the 3rd grade as well as older students all the way into middle school. The story was very interesting as having a magic closet that takes you to a fantasy land can not happen, it allows for students to escape reality into a book that invokes their imagination. ( )
  dschae7 | Sep 29, 2016 |
The whole air of the story is rich and strange and coherent; there is something of Hans Andersen's power to move and George MacDonald's power to create strange worlds, and it is, naturally, beautifully written.
added by Sylak | editThe Guardian (Feb 23, 1951)
When I began reading the story, it seemed well written but the fairy-tale atmosphere was curiously cut-and-dried... Two of my daughters re-educated me. I made the mistake of reading them the first chapter, and since then it has been two chapter a night, sometimes followed by tears when a third chapter is not forthcoming.
added by Shortride | editThe New York Times Book Review, Chad Walsh (pay site) (Nov 12, 1950)

C. S. Lewisprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Van Allsburg, ChrisCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
York, MichaelNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Lucy Barfield
My Dear Lucy,
I wrote this story for you, but when I began it I had not realized that girls grow quicker than books. As a result you are already too old for fairy tales, and by the time it is printed and bound you will be older still. But some day you will be old enough to start reading fairy tales again. You can then take it down from some upper shelf, dust it, and tell me what you think of it. I shall probably be too deaf to hear, and too old to understand a word you say, but I shall still be
your affectionate Godfather,
C. S. Lewis
Once there were four children whose names were Peter, Susan, Edmund and Lucy.
"It means," said Aslan, "that though the witch knew the Deep Magic, there is a magic deeper still, which she did not know. Her knowledge goes back only to the dawn of time. But if she could have looked a little further back, into the stillness and darkness before Time dawned, she would have read there a different incantation. She would have known that when a willing victim who had committed no treachery was killed in a traitor's stead, the Table would crack and Death itself would start working backwards."
"How stupid of me! But I've never seen a Son of Adam or a Daughter of Eve before. I am delighted..."
Unabridged. Please do NOT combine with any abridged edition.

Please do NOT combine ISBN 0007206054 (abridged movie storybook) with original full-length book.

Please do NOT combine "The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe" with "The Chronicles of Narnia"

Though some gender roles

are outdated, the story

stands the test of time.

There are a thousand stories in the land of Narnia, and the first is about to be told in an extraordinary motion picture, The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe, from Walt Disney Pictures and Walden Media.

In the never-ending war between good and evil, The Chronicles of Narnia set the stage for battles of epic proportions. Some take place in vast fields, where the forces of light and darkness clash. But other battles occur within the small chambers of the heart and are equally decisive.

Journeys to the ends of the world, fantastic creatures, betrayals, heroic deeds and friendships won and lost -- all come together in an unforgettable world of magic. So join the battle to end all battles.

The second volume in
The Chronicles of Narnia®
The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe

Narnia .... a land frozen in eternal winter ... a country waiting to be set free.

Four adventurers step through a wardrobe door and into the land of Narnia -- a land enslaved by the power of the White Witch. But when almost all hope is lost, the return of the Great Lion, Aslan, signals a great change ... and a great sacrifice.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:23 -0400)

Four English school children find their way through the back of a wardrobe into the magic land of Narnia and assist Aslan, the golden lion, to triumph over the White Witch who has cursed the land with eternal winter.

Legacy Library: C. S. Lewis

C. S. Lewis has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See C. S. Lewis's legacy profile.

See C. S. Lewis's author page.

4 2044

HarperCollins Childrens Books

An edition of this book was published by HarperCollins Childrens Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,722,728 books! | Top bar: Always visible