The Lion, The Witch, And The Wardrobe by C.…

The Lion, The Witch, And The Wardrobe (original 1950; edition 1970)

by C. S. Lewis

Member:snoangel
Title:The Lion, The Witch, And The Wardrobe
Authors:C. S. Lewis
Info:Collier (1970), Paperback, 192 pages
Collections:2013, Children's Books, Your library

The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe by C. S. Lewis (1950)

The Book of Three by Lloyd Alexander (FFortuna, Polenth, Omnigeek)
    Omnigeek: Classic Welsh mythology transformed into a children's fable enjoyable for all ages. The Book of Three is the first of Lloyd Alexander's pentology, The Prydain Chronicles, and starts the growth of young orphan (and Assistant Pig Keeper) Taran into a man.
    Five Children and It by E. Nesbit (Polenth)
    Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone by J. K. Rowling (Patangel)
    The Neverending Story by Michael Ende (GWoloszczuk)
    GWoloszczuk: Another story were a child goes to a fantasy world.
    The Secret Country by Pamela Dean (wordweaver)
    wordweaver: This is a YA novel that takes the group-of-kids-discover-a-portal-into-a-fantasy-world idea found in the Narnia books and uses it to explore issues of the imagination. The world the children in this story encounter appears to based upon a fantasy game they had been playing, and many elements of that game were influenced by books the children had read, clearly including the Chronicles of Narnia.… (more)
    The Door Within by Wayne Thomas Batson (multilingualmaid)
    A Walk Out of the World by Ruth Nichols (bookel)
    The Wand: The Return to Mesmeria by Allan W. Eckert (bookel)
    The Riddle of the Trumpalar by Judy Bernard-Waite (bookel)
    Challenge of the Trumpalar by Judy Bernard-Waite (bookel)
    The Thief of Always by Clive Barker (Scottneumann)
    Breadcrumbs by Anne Ursu (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Ruled by a white witch, a wintry forest - enchanted and treacherous -- doesn't deter a young girl from trying to save a spellbound friend. Filled with fairy tale elements, both of these affecting fantasies speak to universal longings.
    Abarat by Clive Barker (Scottneumann)
    The Magical Cupboard by Jane Louise Curry (bookel)
    The Way to Windra by Patricia G. Baehr (bookel)
    The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry (krizia_lazaro)
    The Hunt for the Eye of Ogin by Patrick Doud (Death_By_Papercut)
    Death_By_Papercut: Normal kids in a magical new world.
    A Roomful of Magic by John Marsden (bookel)
    Into the Happy Glade by Trevor Dudley-Smith (bookel)
    The Dragons of Ordinary Farm by Tad Williams (Scottneumann)

1950s (12)
Unread books (1,164)

English (399)  Italian (2)  Finnish (2)  Dutch (2)  Polish (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Spanish (1)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (410)

Don't have more to add than what I had already posted in Ami's comment thread. ( )
  engpunk77 | Aug 10, 2015 |
It's hard for me to judge the Narnia books with any kind of objectivity, because I loved them so much as a kid. I still associate them with a blissful sense of escape. Well, I had five siblings and shared a room with my least favorite of them. I was wild to escape. The idea of another world just around the corner (or over a wall, or through the closet door) was paradise to me. As it must have been to millions of others.

I guess I'm supposed to hate these books now that I'm a big fat atheist; but the fact is, I was too dense to notice they were carrying any sort of religious message. ("Deborah's density" is a recurring literary theme in my reviews.) Once it was pointed out to me that Aslan's sacrifice for Edmund was supposed to symbolize Jesus' redemption of mankind (if I'm phrasing that properly), it didn't change the story for me any. Even as a religious child, I could tell the metaphor wasn't perfect. Now, I simply think Lewis' work is a flawed analog and a terrific story.

I do find it bitterly amusing that Lewis, who was writing in the '50s, definitely backed the wrong horse historically speaking when it came to women. He's terrified of grown women, and rarely allows them into his stories. When he does, they're bad news. Here, he links the White Witch to Lilith -- that scary, sexually mature, "real" first woman. All female adults are suspect in Lewis' Narnian universe. (I don't want to get ahead of myself, so I'll just keep a running tab as I review each book.)

Also -- "Battles are ugly when women fight"? As opposed to those lovely all-male wars you just don't get any more? I think Lewis' friend Tolkien might have had something to say about that.

One thing that's striking about reading this book as a parent is how utterly absent parents are. The children don't have a speck of homesickness for their mother and father, either at the Professor's house or in their years in Narnia. (Belated spoiler alert. Sorry.) I can't help comparing this with Peter Pan, which in spite of all the Neverland adventures is all about children longing for parents, parents longing for children, and the sacrifices made when children grow up and become parents.

Barrie's childhood was a hot mess, to say the least, and it shows in his work. (No criticism there, just pointing out the facts.) Is it a sign that Lewis was happier, or at least less screwed up, that his own fictional children are able to skip away and thoroughly enjoy their adventures, forgetting their own origin stories and never giving a thought to their parents until they're ushered unceremoniously back "home"? ( )
1 vote Deborah_Markus | Aug 8, 2015 |
Everyone was a little bit too nice in this book, which always bothers me deeply. ( )
1 vote humblewomble | Jul 14, 2015 |
Buena Vista Home Entertainment, 2006, DVD
  BlakesburgLibrary | Jun 26, 2015 |
Honestly don't really remember much other than the main concept. I definetly plan on rereading this. ( )
  momma182 | Jun 23, 2015 |
The whole air of the story is rich and strange and coherent; there is something of Hans Andersen's power to move and George MacDonald's power to create strange worlds, and it is, naturally, beautifully written.
added by Sylak | editThe Guardian (Feb 23, 1951)

When I began reading the story, it seemed well written but the fairy-tale atmosphere was curiously cut-and-dried... Two of my daughters re-educated me. I made the mistake of reading them the first chapter, and since then it has been two chapter a night, sometimes followed by tears when a third chapter is not forthcoming.
added by Shortride | editThe New York Times Book Review, Chad Walsh (pay site) (Nov 12, 1950)

C. S. Lewisprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Van Allsburg, ChrisCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
York, MichaelNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Lucy Barfield
My Dear Lucy,
I wrote this story for you, but when I began it I had not realized that girls grow quicker than books. As a result you are already too old for fairy tales, and by the time it is printed and bound you will be older still. But some day you will be old enough to start reading fairy tales again. You can then take it down from some upper shelf, dust it, and tell me what you think of it. I shall probably be too deaf to hear, and too old to understand a word you say, but I shall still be
your affectionate Godfather,
C. S. Lewis
Once there were four children whose names were Peter, Susan, Edmund and Lucy.
"It means," said Aslan, "that though the witch knew the Deep Magic, there is a magic deeper still, which she did not know. Her knowledge goes back only to the dawn of time. But if she could have looked a little further back, into the stillness and darkness before Time dawned, she would have read there a different incantation. She would have known that when a willing victim who had committed no treachery was killed in a traitor's stead, the Table would crack and Death itself would start working backwards."
"How stupid of me! But I've never seen a Son of Adam or a Daughter of Eve before. I am delighted..."
Unabridged. Please do NOT combine with any abridged edition.

Please do NOT combine ISBN 0007206054 (abridged movie storybook) with original full-length book.

Please do NOT combine "The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe" with "The Chronicles of Narnia"

There are a thousand stories in the land of Narnia, and the first is about to be told in an extraordinary motion picture, The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe, from Walt Disney Pictures and Walden Media.

In the never-ending war between good and evil, The Chronicles of Narnia set the stage for battles of epic proportions. Some take place in vast fields, where the forces of light and darkness clash. But other battles occur within the small chambers of the heart and are equally decisive.

Journeys to the ends of the world, fantastic creatures, betrayals, heroic deeds and friendships won and lost -- all come together in an unforgettable world of magic. So join the battle to end all battles.

The second volume in
The Chronicles of Narnia®
The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe

Narnia .... a land frozen in eternal winter ... a country waiting to be set free.

Four adventurers step through a wardrobe door and into the land of Narnia -- a land enslaved by the power of the White Witch. But when almost all hope is lost, the return of the Great Lion, Aslan, signals a great change ... and a great sacrifice.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:23 -0400)

Four English school children find their way through the back of a wardrobe into the magic land of Narnia and assist Aslan, the golden lion, to triumph over the White Witch who has cursed the land with eternal winter.

Legacy Library: C. S. Lewis

C. S. Lewis has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See C. S. Lewis's legacy profile.

See C. S. Lewis's author page.

HarperCollins Childrens Books

An edition of this book was published by HarperCollins Childrens Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,046,062 books! | Top bar: Always visible