The Lion, The Witch, And The Wardrobe by C.…

The Lion, The Witch, And The Wardrobe (original 1950; edition 1970)

by C. S. Lewis

Member:snoangel
Title:The Lion, The Witch, And The Wardrobe
Authors:C. S. Lewis
Info:Collier (1970), Paperback, 192 pages
Collections:2013, Children's Books, Your library

The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe by C. S. Lewis (1950)

The Book of Three by Lloyd Alexander (FFortuna, Polenth, Omnigeek)
    Omnigeek: Classic Welsh mythology transformed into a children's fable enjoyable for all ages. The Book of Three is the first of Lloyd Alexander's pentology, The Prydain Chronicles, and starts the growth of young orphan (and Assistant Pig Keeper) Taran into a man.
    Five Children and It by E. Nesbit (Polenth)
    Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone by J. K. Rowling (Patangel)
    The Neverending Story by Michael Ende (GWoloszczuk)
    GWoloszczuk: Another story were a child goes to a fantasy world.
    The Secret Country by Pamela Dean (wordweaver)
    wordweaver: This is a YA novel that takes the group-of-kids-discover-a-portal-into-a-fantasy-world idea found in the Narnia books and uses it to explore issues of the imagination. The world the children in this story encounter appears to based upon a fantasy game they had been playing, and many elements of that game were influenced by books the children had read, clearly including the Chronicles of Narnia.… (more)
    The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry (krizia_lazaro)
    The Door Within by Wayne Thomas Batson (multilingualmaid)
    A Walk Out of the World by Ruth Nichols (bookel)
    The Riddle of the Trumpalar by Judy Bernard-Waite (bookel)
    Challenge of the Trumpalar by Judy Bernard-Waite (bookel)
    Abarat by Clive Barker (Scottneumann)
    Breadcrumbs by Anne Ursu (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Ruled by a white witch, a wintry forest - enchanted and treacherous -- doesn't deter a young girl from trying to save a spellbound friend. Filled with fairy tale elements, both of these affecting fantasies speak to universal longings.
    The Wand: The Return to Mesmeria by Allan W. Eckert (bookel)
    Inkheart by Cornelia Funke (MissBrangwen)
    The Thief of Always by Clive Barker (Scottneumann)
    The Way to Windra by Patricia G. Baehr (bookel)
    The Hunt for the Eye of Ogin by Patrick Doud (Death_By_Papercut)
    Death_By_Papercut: Normal kids in a magical new world.
    A Roomful of Magic by John Marsden (bookel)
    Into the Happy Glade by Trevor Dudley-Smith (bookel)
    The Magical Cupboard by Jane Louise Curry (bookel)

1950s (13)
Unread books (1,113)

English (495)  Italian (2)  Dutch (2)  Finnish (2)  Spanish (2)  Polish (1)  All (1)  Hungarian (1)  All (1)  All (507)
Who am I to critique C.S. Lewis? I didn't like the book but I recognize an excellent work. I just don't like fantasy. It was on the Elementary Battle of
the Books list which is why I read it. ( )
  jothebookgirl | Jan 3, 2017 |
The lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe is a children's novel about four siblings who travel to a magically land and fins themselves in the middle of a revolution against the kingdoms evil witch/queen. I love this book. This is the third time I have read it and find myself loving the action and adventure every time. One reason why I love this book si because of the characters. This novel offers a variety of characters from friendly beavers, brave lions, betraying brothers, and wise sisters. This book offers an array of characters so that all readers can find one to identify with. Another reason I love this book is because of the writing itself. It is not overly challenging yet is complex. New vocabulary is offered on every page which makes context clues a very important part of this novel, However, the novel is not overly complicated to understand.
  jessclark | Dec 14, 2016 |
There are some books that it's hard to review because I love them so much that analysis fails me. I'd have to put this one in that category.

I still remember a clear picture of my sister and I sitting on the couch bawling our eyes out while my mom read the scene where Aslan was killed.

This book did two things for me, among others:

1). It opened me up to the fantasy world. I knew about fiction, but the idea of "other worlds," of places where all the rules work differently -- that amazed me. This series was my gateway to Tolkien, George MacDonald, J. K. Rowling, and many others. But none of them will have the place in my heart that Narnia has.

and 2). It spurred me to start reading more and more on my own. After my parents read the first three Narnia books to me, I read the next four in four days, because I decided I couldn't just sit back and listen to a chapter or two per night. I wanted more! This book was part of my pathway to becoming a more self-motivated and self-sufficient reader.

I probably can't say much more about LWW that hasn't already been said, but of all the books I look forward to reading to my kids someday, this is right up near the top.

NOTE: If you are planning to read this series, to your children or to yourself, I would highly recommend reading THIS book first, even though it is not first in the order most publishers are putting it out in these days. The reason is that Aslan is the most important character in the series, and this is the book in which Lewis *first* introduces him. We do get an introduction to him in "The Magician's Nephew," but it's not nearly so thoroughly done (and surely wasn't intended to be), plus I think "The Magician's Nephew" makes more sense if you've already met the professor in this book. That's just my opinion, though there are others who share it. I try not to get on a soap box about it, but I think it's better to go with published order rather than chronological within the series' timetable, because there are all kinds of nuances that result from the order the books are written in, that can be missed if they're read out of order. ( )
  LauraTwitchell | Dec 12, 2016 |
One of my friends at work asked me to name my top ten most influential books because of that silly facebook meme that is making the rounds.

This is a nearly impossible task for me, but I agreed that I would try. Then, I started thinking, why limit myself to ten? I'll just create a shelf, and start mentally sorting through my forty-odd years as a reader.

This one makes the cut because it was one of the first fantasy books I ever read. I remember checking it out of the library, at my mother's urging, and devouring it. It is the best and most beloved of the books of Narnia, and I reread it often. It changed my reading habits - without having read TLTW&TW I might not have read The Lord of the Rings, or Harry Potter, both of which will end up on this shelf sooner or later.

I'm going on a literary treasure hunt. I don't know how long it will last, or where we will end up, although it is likely that all roads lead to Austen. ( )
  moonlight_reads | Dec 11, 2016 |
Probably the best known book of the Chronicles of Narnia.

Lewis doesn't make any bones about his theology in this novel and yet still tells a tale that can enthrall any child and most adults [those who are not too jaded anyway]. ( )
  BookstoogeLT | Dec 10, 2016 |
The whole air of the story is rich and strange and coherent; there is something of Hans Andersen's power to move and George MacDonald's power to create strange worlds, and it is, naturally, beautifully written.
added by Sylak | editThe Guardian (Feb 23, 1951)

When I began reading the story, it seemed well written but the fairy-tale atmosphere was curiously cut-and-dried... Two of my daughters re-educated me. I made the mistake of reading them the first chapter, and since then it has been two chapter a night, sometimes followed by tears when a third chapter is not forthcoming.
added by Shortride | editThe New York Times Book Review, Chad Walsh (pay site) (Nov 12, 1950)

C. S. Lewisprimary authorall editionscalculated
Van Allsburg, ChrisCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
York, MichaelNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Lucy Barfield
My Dear Lucy,
I wrote this story for you, but when I began it I had not realized that girls grow quicker than books. As a result you are already too old for fairy tales, and by the time it is printed and bound you will be older still. But some day you will be old enough to start reading fairy tales again. You can then take it down from some upper shelf, dust it, and tell me what you think of it. I shall probably be too deaf to hear, and too old to understand a word you say, but I shall still be
your affectionate Godfather,
C. S. Lewis
Once there were four children whose names were Peter, Susan, Edmund and Lucy.
"It means," said Aslan, "that though the witch knew the Deep Magic, there is a magic deeper still, which she did not know. Her knowledge goes back only to the dawn of time. But if she could have looked a little further back, into the stillness and darkness before Time dawned, she would have read there a different incantation. She would have known that when a willing victim who had committed no treachery was killed in a traitor's stead, the Table would crack and Death itself would start working backwards."
"How stupid of me! But I've never seen a Son of Adam or a Daughter of Eve before. I am delighted..."
Unabridged. Please do NOT combine with any abridged edition.

Please do NOT combine ISBN 0007206054 (abridged movie storybook) with original full-length book.

Please do NOT combine "The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe" with "The Chronicles of Narnia"

Though some gender roles

are outdated, the story

stands the test of time.

(CathWhitney)

There are a thousand stories in the land of Narnia, and the first is about to be told in an extraordinary motion picture, The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe, from Walt Disney Pictures and Walden Media.

In the never-ending war between good and evil, The Chronicles of Narnia set the stage for battles of epic proportions. Some take place in vast fields, where the forces of light and darkness clash. But other battles occur within the small chambers of the heart and are equally decisive.

Journeys to the ends of the world, fantastic creatures, betrayals, heroic deeds and friendships won and lost -- all come together in an unforgettable world of magic. So join the battle to end all battles.

The second volume in
The Chronicles of Narnia®
The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe

Narnia .... a land frozen in eternal winter ... a country waiting to be set free.

Four adventurers step through a wardrobe door and into the land of Narnia -- a land enslaved by the power of the White Witch. But when almost all hope is lost, the return of the Great Lion, Aslan, signals a great change ... and a great sacrifice.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:23 -0400)

Four English school children find their way through the back of a wardrobe into the magic land of Narnia and assist Aslan, the golden lion, to triumph over the White Witch who has cursed the land with eternal winter.

Legacy Library: C. S. Lewis

C. S. Lewis has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See C. S. Lewis's legacy profile.

See C. S. Lewis's author page.

HarperCollins Childrens Books

An edition of this book was published by HarperCollins Childrens Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 111,783,882 books! | Top bar: Always visible