The Silver Chair by C. S. Lewis
Title:The Silver Chair
Authors:C. S. Lewis
Info:Collins (1997), Hardcover, 191 pages
Tags:Fiction, Christian, C.S. Lewis

The Silver Chair by C. S. Lewis (1953)

English (126)  Hungarian (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Polish (1)  Italian (1)  Spanish (1)  German (1)  Danish (1)  Finnish (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (135)
Of the seven Narnia books, my relationship with most is clear. I adore "Nephew", "Lion" and "Horse", am indifferent about "Caspian" and "Voyage", and despise "Battle. But "The Silver Chair" and I have admired and resented each other, equally, since I first read it as a kid.

On the one hand... this is perhaps the most justifiably dark book in the series, as Jill and Eustace (replacing, thankfully, those tiresome Pevensie children) find their own belief in Aslan and themselves fading fast, and their uncertainty as to what to do is quite palpable. Lewis passionately makes us believe that the world of Narnia is falling apart, and references to the past stories actually are quite terrifying, in the same way that most series have to wait for their non-canonical installments (e.g. "Return to Oz") to do. It's the most literate of the seven books, also.

Opposing this, of course, is the fact that all of this passion stems from Lewis making each Narnia book more and more of an aggressively Christian allegory. For "belief in Aslan" read "belief in Jesus". For "the world of Narnia is falling apart" read "the world of white, Christian living". This doesn't inherently render the book a failure - after all, Dante was of the same passion, and the Divine Comedy is a masterwork! But it does sadden me a little that my childhood nostalgia is now tainted by the knowledge that Lewis' books are pushing a strong agenda that goes beyond mere children's literature moral fables and into religious propaganda.

Is that unfair? Perhaps. I'm literate enough to be able to enjoy this as a story, and be intrigued by the moral dilemmas of the characters, without hating it just because of the author's beliefs. But at the same time, I don't think kids should be going into this without an adult to guide them through the maze. It's great that Lewis was writing intelligent fiction that would make children ask questions. It's just a pity that he's already decided which answer they should arrive at. ( )
  therebelprince | Oct 30, 2018 |
I am so happy that I am finally reading this series. This one so far is my favorite. I really loved this story.

Eustace gets called back to Narnia by Aslan with his friend from school, Jill. They were called upon to help find missing Prince Rillian. Aslan gives Jill 4 signs she must follow to know they are on the right path of finding him. With the help of a Marsh-Wiggle, Puddleglum, they set out on an adventure that includes giants, Underworld, Father time, witches, gnomes and the usual casts of Narnians. ( )
  MinDea | Aug 9, 2018 |
The Chronicles of Narnia really define my childhood in so many ways. I remember being read to at night before bed as my parents made their way through each of these books and my imagination went running rampant. I absolutely adored each one of these stories, the children and their tumbles into Narnia, the lessons that they learned from Aslan and his people, and the greater implications it had on me as a reader and human being. I adore British literature, and especially children's British literature from the master, C.S. Lewis! ( )
  justagirlwithabook | Jun 2, 2018 |
I couldn't have given fewer fucks about this story.

Sorry to those of you who love the Narnia series, but it just wasn't for me. It wasn't even bad - there was no amusement at bad writing or even rage. Nothing interested me about the characters or the world and my nostalgic love for Wardrobe is cemented mostly because of that 70s animated movie.

I'm not even going to finish listening to the last book. That's right, I'm throwing in the towel with one book left (and the audiobooks are pretty short). I just don't care enough to even listen to it as background noise.

I wanted to love this series, but couldn't. ( )
  MillieHennessy | Dec 11, 2017 |
This is the fifth book in the Chronicles of Narnia. In this book Jill Pole and Eustace Scrubb, unhappy pupils at a school called Experiment House, are sent by Aslan the Lion out of Narnia into the ruined city of the ancient giants. They are looking for the only son of an aged king who was kidnapped years ago. ( )
  gypsysmom | Aug 20, 2017 |
The mythical land of Narnia and the adventures one always has there are the subject of this charming book, the fourth in a series that fortunately shows no sign of ending.
added by Shortride | editThe New York Times Book Review, Chad Walsh (pay site) (Dec 27, 1953)

C. S. Lewisprimary authorall editionscalculated
Nielsen, CliffCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Northam, JeremyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Van Allsburg, ChrisCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Nicholas Hardie
It was a dull autumn day and Jill Pole was crying behind the gym.
Det var en trist efterårsdag, og Jill Pole stod og græd bag gymnastiksalen.
"Suppose we have only dreamed, or made up, all these things—trees and grass and sun and moon and stars and Aslan himself. Suppose we have. Then all I can say is that, in that case, the made up things seem a great deal more important than the real ones. Suppose this black pit of a kingdom of yours is the only world. Well, it strikes me as a pretty poor one. And that’s a funny thing, when you come to think of it. We’re just babies making up a game, if you’re right. But four babies making up a game can make a play-world which licks your real world hollow. That’s why I’m going to stick with the play world."
Unabridged. Please do NOT combine with any abridged editions.
Please do NOT combine "The Silver Chair" with "The Chronicles of Narnia"

Jill and Eustace must rescue the Prince from the evil Witch.

NARNIA...where owls are wise, where some of the giants like to snack on humans, where a prince is put under an evil spell...and where the adventure begins.

Eustace and Jill escape from the bullies at school through a strange door in the wall, which, for once, is unlocked. It leads to the open moor...or does it? Once again Aslan has a task for the children, and Narnia needs them. Through dangers untold and caverns deep and dark, they pursue the quest that brings them face and face with the evil Witch. She must be defeated if Prince Rillian is to be saved.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0020442505, Paperback)

The Silver Chair [Paperback] C. S. Lewis C. S. Lewis (Author) ? Visit Amazon's C. S. Lewis Page Find all the books, read about the author, and more. See search results for this author Are you an author? Learn about Author Central (Author)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:34 -0400)

Two English children undergo hair-raising adventures as they go on a search and rescue mission for the missing Prince Rilian, who is held captive in the underground kingdom of the Emerald Witch.

Legacy Library: C. S. Lewis

C. S. Lewis has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See C. S. Lewis's legacy profile.

See C. S. Lewis's author page.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,787,694 books! | Top bar: Always visible