Silver Chair by C. S. Lewis
Info:Lions (1997), Paperback, 206 pages
Collections:Kindle, Your library
Rating:***1/2
Tags:British literature, Childrens books, English language

The Silver Chair by C. S. Lewis (1953)

English (123)  Hungarian (1)  All (1)  Polish (1)  Italian (1)  Dutch (1)  Danish (1)  Finnish (1)  Spanish (1)  All (131)
4* for this audiobook edition & 4.5* for the book itself.

I had no recollection of this entry in the Narnia series and enjoyed it immensely. Eustace, one year after his previous visit to Narnia, is much improved and the plot was altogether exciting and satisfying. I particularly liked the way the book ends with the bullies frightened and the terrible headmistress being found incompetent and so made into a school inspector. When she is incompetent at that, she becomes a Member of Parliament & lives happily ever after! A minor detail but so funny :) ( )
  leslie.98 | Feb 26, 2017 |
Enjoyed it. I figured out the lady in green was the witch, what the giant's planned to do to the children and who the Knight was much faster than Eustace and Jill

I liked the part at the end:

"And in the inquiry all sorts of things about Experiment House came out, and about ten people got expelled. After that, the Head's friends saw that the Head was no use as a Head, so they got her made an Inspector to interfere with other Heads. And when they found that she wasn't much good even at that, they got her into Parliament where she lived happily ever after."

I'm surprised how little on the series I remember reading. I remember the 1st and last. ( )
  nx74defiant | Dec 23, 2016 |
34/2014 ( )
  moonlight_reads | Dec 11, 2016 |
Jill Pole and Eustace Scrubb make their way into Narnia and are given a task by Aslan: find the prince, Rilian, who disappeared a decade ago after the death of his mother. Jill is given the information and four signs to keep in mind on their journey.

This was not generally the book I would've said was my favorite growing up, but it is one of them now as I look at it with adult eyes. Puddleglum the Marsh-wiggle who is at once seeing the bad side of things but extremely plucky is one of my favorite characters. And Jill has a lot more of a presence than some of the girls in the earlier stories. I always felt a little bad for Ramandu's daughter (the queen who is dead in the beginning), because she gets such short shrift - she's barely there as Caspian's love interest in The Voyage of the Dawn Treader and is dead before the events of The Silver Chair. Entertaining classic fantasy. ( )
  bell7 | Sep 20, 2016 |
English Literature
  CPI | Jul 29, 2016 |
The mythical land of Narnia and the adventures one always has there are the subject of this charming book, the fourth in a series that fortunately shows no sign of ending.
added by Shortride | editThe New York Times Book Review, Chad Walsh (pay site) (Dec 27, 1953)

C. S. Lewisprimary authorall editionscalculated
Nielsen, CliffCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Northam, JeremyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Van Allsburg, ChrisCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Nicholas Hardie
It was a dull autumn day and Jill Pole was crying behind the gym.
"Suppose we have only dreamed, or made up, all these things—trees and grass and sun and moon and stars and Aslan himself. Suppose we have. Then all I can say is that, in that case, the made up things seem a great deal more important than the real ones. Suppose this black pit of a kingdom of yours is the only world. Well, it strikes me as a pretty poor one. And that’s a funny thing, when you come to think of it. We’re just babies making up a game, if you’re right. But four babies making up a game can make a play-world which licks your real world hollow. That’s why I’m going to stick with the play world."
Unabridged. Please do NOT combine with any abridged editions.
Please do NOT combine "The Silver Chair" with "The Chronicles of Narnia"

Jill and Eustace must rescue the Prince from the evil Witch.

NARNIA...where owls are wise, where some of the giants like to snack on humans, where a prince is put under an evil spell...and where the adventure begins.

Eustace and Jill escape from the bullies at school through a strange door in the wall, which, for once, is unlocked. It leads to the open moor...or does it? Once again Aslan has a task for the children, and Narnia needs them. Through dangers untold and caverns deep and dark, they pursue the quest that brings them face and face with the evil Witch. She must be defeated if Prince Rillian is to be saved.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0020442505, Paperback)

The Silver Chair [Paperback] C. S. Lewis C. S. Lewis (Author) ? Visit Amazon's C. S. Lewis Page Find all the books, read about the author, and more. See search results for this author Are you an author? Learn about Author Central (Author)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:34 -0400)

Two English children undergo hair-raising adventures as they go on a search and rescue mission for the missing Prince Rilian, who is held captive in the underground kingdom of the Emerald Witch.

Legacy Library: C. S. Lewis

C. S. Lewis has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See C. S. Lewis's legacy profile.

See C. S. Lewis's author page.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,284,597 books! | Top bar: Always visible