Silver Chair by C. S. Lewis
Info:Lions (1997), Paperback, 206 pages
Collections:Kindle, Your library
Rating:***1/2
Tags:British literature, Childrens books, English language

The Silver Chair by C. S. Lewis (1953)

English (117)  Hungarian (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Polish (1)  Italian (1)  Dutch (1)  Danish (1)  Finnish (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (125)
An interesting story ( )
  Shadow494 | Jun 20, 2016 |
2004, Harper Collins Publishers, Read by Jeremy Northan

Eustace Scrubb and his classmate, Jill Pole, are miserable at their school, Experiment House – the school, under the management of an incompetent headmistress, has become overrun with bullies. Seeking escape, Eustace tells Jill of his past Narnia adventure. And, lo and behold, the two soon find themselves in the magical world. Aslan charges the children with finding Prince Rilian, the son of King Caspian X, who disappeared several years ago. The prince had been searching for the green serpent that killed his mother, and was taken under the spell of an enchantress. Aslan gives Eustace and Jill four signs which will help guide them in their search. The children have other help, too, of course: the now elderly Trumpkin the Dwarf; Master Glimfeather the Owl; and the ever-pessimistic Marsh-wiggle, Puddleglum.

Recommended: Yes, as part of the Narnia chronicles, though this installment did not endear the way the others have. I keenly felt the absence of the Penvensie children, and Jill, who narrates The Silver Chair, is not a terribly interesting character.

lit_chick | Jun 19, 2016 |
I'm not sure if it was the change for the type of story, or else because the others who were familiar were gone, but I couldn't get into this one as well. It was the longest of the first four books also, so the scenes were dragged on a bit more. Honestly there wasn't enough happening to have it over 200 pages. The story itself was good but I think being shortened could have improved on it, especially during their travels and grumbling about it. I did like the story of the signs, giants, and the battle with the witch. The very end was depressing, then turned joyous again. Maybe depressing isn't the best word, but this one just feels darker and less optimistic, youthful, and potentially joyful as the others were. It almost feels like this was a filler book of sorts, even though the main story is important as it explains a big event in Narnia on the kingdom.

I do have to say that CS Lewis keeps it intriguing, though. He puts a completely different idea into each book, not more of the same thing, keeping it refreshingly different in adventure. All the goals are always important and can be catastrophic if not completed.

The central theme for this one is self-discipline, to follow instructions and to keep our eyes on the ball to succeed. How this rarely is what we do, and even if you fall, fall, and fall again, there can from that arise redemption and things can have a way of still working out in the end.

I like Eustace but Jill wasn't someone you latch on to easily and the book was told her POV. She wasn't that bright either and could irritate. I wonder why Eustace wasn't used as his POV since he had the adventures in the last book and was an important character. Aslan was the same as always, his scenes being scarce but important when there. He was less present than in the previous three. Puddlegum was an okay companion but he didn't match up to the previous travelers. I thought it was cute about his gloom personality, but he didn't hold a candle to Reepicheep, the Beavers, Caspian and others.

I think what makes Chronicles sad is that the books show a big sense of time. Time can be depressing. You see someone young, jubilant, and filled with energy and hope in one book, and in the next they have become old and on their death bed, hard of hearing, and different. So many changes. Change is inevitable but rarely in a series are you confronted with the harshness of the its realities.

ErinPaperbackstash | Jun 14, 2016 |
Imagine an edition that looks like this, but instead of Puddleglum on the cover it's the chair. Imagine the book on one of the little display easels in an elementary school library in a tiny town in rural Wisconsin. Now imagine a young girl, an avid reader who is going through the library with no guidance coming upon that. Well, I was that little girl. And I intrigued enough to pick it up and dive right in. Only well into the book did I realize it was part of a series. My first thought was one of relief - oh, yay, I'm coming in after a lot has already happened, my confusion is natural and not stupidity. My second thought was, of course, now it's time to read the whole set. Thank goodness for browsable libraries of physical books - who knows when I'd have encountered this otherwise. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
"The Silver Chair"by C.S. Lewis is a brilliant book that centers around the theme of bullies. Jill and Scrubb are two school children with this problem, until they find help beyond the stone wall of their school. They meet giants, witches, gnomes and other creatures they must learn to ally with, escape from, or face in battle. I highly recommend this book, because it is an inspiring and riveting story! ( )
  Breton07 | Jun 5, 2016 |
The mythical land of Narnia and the adventures one always has there are the subject of this charming book, the fourth in a series that fortunately shows no sign of ending.
added by Shortride | editThe New York Times Book Review, Chad Walsh (pay site) (Dec 27, 1953)

C. S. Lewisprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Nielsen, CliffCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Northam, JeremyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Van Allsburg, ChrisCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Nicholas Hardie
It was a dull autumn day and Jill Pole was crying behind the gym.
"Suppose we have only dreamed, or made up, all these things—trees and grass and sun and moon and stars and Aslan himself. Suppose we have. Then all I can say is that, in that case, the made up things seem a great deal more important than the real ones. Suppose this black pit of a kingdom of yours is the only world. Well, it strikes me as a pretty poor one. And that’s a funny thing, when you come to think of it. We’re just babies making up a game, if you’re right. But four babies making up a game can make a play-world which licks your real world hollow. That’s why I’m going to stick with the play world."
Unabridged. Please do NOT combine with any abridged editions.
Please do NOT combine "The Silver Chair" with "The Chronicles of Narnia"

Jill and Eustace must rescue the Prince from the evil Witch.

NARNIA...where owls are wise, where some of the giants like to snack on humans, where a prince is put under an evil spell...and where the adventure begins.

Eustace and Jill escape from the bullies at school through a strange door in the wall, which, for once, is unlocked. It leads to the open moor...or does it? Once again Aslan has a task for the children, and Narnia needs them. Through dangers untold and caverns deep and dark, they pursue the quest that brings them face and face with the evil Witch. She must be defeated if Prince Rillian is to be saved.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0020442505, Paperback)

The Silver Chair [Paperback] C. S. Lewis C. S. Lewis (Author) ? Visit Amazon's C. S. Lewis Page Find all the books, read about the author, and more. See search results for this author Are you an author? Learn about Author Central (Author)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:34 -0400)

Two English children undergo hair-raising adventures as they go on a search and rescue mission for the missing Prince Rilian, who is held captive in the underground kingdom of the Emerald Witch.

Legacy Library: C. S. Lewis

C. S. Lewis has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See C. S. Lewis's legacy profile.

See C. S. Lewis's author page.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,871,380 books! | Top bar: Always visible