The Chronicles of Narnia: The Silver Chair…

The Chronicles of Narnia: The Silver Chair (original 1953; edition 1995)

by C. S. Lewis

Two English children undergo hair-raising adventures as they go on a search and rescue mission for the missing Prince Rilian, who is held captive in the underground kingdom of the Emerald Witch.
Member:miraclaire
Title:The Chronicles of Narnia: The Silver Chair
Authors:C. S. Lewis
Info:Scholastic (1995), Paperback
Rating:****1/2
Tags:Children's, Fiction, Religion, Religion - Christianity, Science Fiction / Fantasy

The Silver Chair by C. S. Lewis (1953)

English (132)  Hungarian (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Polish (1)  Italian (1)  Spanish (1)  German (1)  Danish (1)  Finnish (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (141)
A great classic. ( )
  Linyarai | Feb 16, 2020 |
Of the seven Narnia books, my relationship with most is clear. I adore "Nephew", "Lion" and "Horse", am indifferent about "Caspian" and "Voyage", and despise "Battle. But "The Silver Chair" and I have admired and resented each other, equally, since I first read it as a kid.

On the one hand... this is perhaps the most justifiably dark book in the series, as Jill and Eustace (replacing, thankfully, those tiresome Pevensie children) find their own belief in Aslan and themselves fading fast, and their uncertainty as to what to do is quite palpable. Lewis passionately makes us believe that the world of Narnia is falling apart, and references to the past stories actually are quite terrifying, in the same way that most series have to wait for their non-canonical installments (e.g. "Return to Oz") to do. It's the most literate of the seven books, also.

Opposing this, of course, is the fact that all of this passion stems from Lewis making each Narnia book more and more of an aggressively Christian allegory. For "belief in Aslan" read "belief in Jesus". For "the world of Narnia is falling apart" read "the world of white, Christian living". This doesn't inherently render the book a failure - after all, Dante was of the same passion, and the Divine Comedy is a masterwork! But it does sadden me a little that my childhood nostalgia is now tainted by the knowledge that Lewis' books are pushing a strong agenda that goes beyond mere children's literature moral fables and into religious propaganda.

Is that unfair? Perhaps. I'm literate enough to be able to enjoy this as a story, and be intrigued by the moral dilemmas of the characters, without hating it just because of the author's beliefs. But at the same time, I don't think kids should be going into this without an adult to guide them through the maze. It's great that Lewis was writing intelligent fiction that would make children ask questions. It's just a pity that he's already decided which answer they should arrive at. ( )
  therebelprince | Dec 14, 2019 |
Picking up where I left off with The Chronicles of Narnia. It's about time. Ugh.

I didn't get as involved in this story as I would've liked. It just didn't grab my attention like some of the others. I don't think anything can compare with my love for The Lion. the Witch and the Wardrobe.

It wasn't bad, I just wish there was a little more. ( )
  Shahnareads | Oct 22, 2019 |
See my video review of the series here: https://youtu.be/g04BC4ephZc

Another fun adventure in Narnia. I liked the new people and places that we got to see this time around. I was especially fond of the Marsh-Wiggle and how the cheery and goofy connotations with the term 'wiggle' so contrasted the general personalities of their species.

I thought the plot-twist given partway through the book was done well. We are told about a sinister yet beautiful woman in green that is likely the cause of the prince of Narnia's disappearance, but even so, when our heroes meet a beautiful woman who happens to be wearing green on the path of their adventure, no one thinks twice about it, and frankly, neither did I at first. The only reason I caught it at all was the fact that she told them to say she was sending them for a giant's feast. The wording was indicative enough that they would be eaten that I had to stop and question and instantly realized who she was and who the knight riding with her must be. However, the fact that she could be hidden in plain sight and I didn't immediately realize who she was tells me that this was pretty artfully crafted.

As far as sexism, which I've been commenting on in all my reviews for this series, this book probably showed the most equality so far between our male and female main characters. While our female character, Jill, does not use weapons as much as her male counterparts in this story, it is not explained away as a factor of gender but rather that it is her first time in Narnia and that she has never had the time or opportunity to learn how to use the weapons. It is mentioned that she does a little sparring with Eustace, however, and with her attitude, I think the boys would have been hard-pressed to keep weapons from her otherwise. On the other hand, unfortunately, this book did have an awfully sexist line that irked me a bit (delivered by our female protagonist, no less) about how people don't think much of men who let their wives tell them what to do.

The other thing that was more subtle but still displayed certain beliefs of Lewis' that I can't agree with was his depiction of Jill and Eustace's school. While the Pevensies had always gone to private schools (one each for the girls and the boys), the main characters of this installment attend a co-ed school called Experiment House. Not only did the school teach boys and girls together, but it did not welcome the Bible in its curriculum. Obviously, these are two things which are commonplace in schools today (and which I value highly in schools in general), but it was clear what Lewis thought of them because he depicted the school as a miserable place where bullies were allowed to do what they want with no real consequences. He also referred back to the school several times throughout the adventure in Narnia with seemingly judgmental comments about the religious things that Jill and Eustace didn't do/understand as a result of their attending Experiment House. I will commend Lewis, however, on the fact that, while the situation at Experiment House did change somewhat at the end of the book, the changes focused very specifically on the unequivocally bad aspects of the school (aka the bullies) and, as far as I can tell, the school was allowed to remain a co-educational and religion-free place. ( )
  NovelInsights | Sep 21, 2019 |
My least favorite so far of the books (I can't recall how the next three are, but I think I enjoyed the Last Battle as a kid).

I think as the books moved further from the original four children, my enjoyment of the series moved further away as well. Puddleglum the Marshwiggle was the ironic highpoint of this book seeing as his personality is downbeat. The children didn't do much to advance the plot this time around and while Eustace was more "heroic" that heroism didn't really make sense. He didn't have the years in Narnia that Lucy, Edmund, Peter and Susan had, so his knowledge of it was only soaked up in a few months from the prior book. Aslan barely makes an appearance, there's barely an appearance of the main antagonist... all in all, just the weakest of the lot so far. ( )
  Sean191 | Jul 1, 2019 |
The mythical land of Narnia and the adventures one always has there are the subject of this charming book, the fourth in a series that fortunately shows no sign of ending.
added by Shortride | editThe New York Times Book Review, Chad Walsh (pay site) (Dec 27, 1953)

C. S. Lewisprimary authorall editionscalculated
Nielsen, CliffCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Northam, JeremyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Van Allsburg, ChrisCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Nicholas Hardie
It was a dull autumn day and Jill Pole was crying behind the gym.
Det var en trist efterårsdag, og Jill Pole stod og græd bag gymnastiksalen.
"Suppose we have only dreamed, or made up, all these things—trees and grass and sun and moon and stars and Aslan himself. Suppose we have. Then all I can say is that, in that case, the made up things seem a great deal more important than the real ones. Suppose this black pit of a kingdom of yours is the only world. Well, it strikes me as a pretty poor one. And that’s a funny thing, when you come to think of it. We’re just babies making up a game, if you’re right. But four babies making up a game can make a play-world which licks your real world hollow. That’s why I’m going to stick with the play world."
Unabridged. Please do NOT combine with any abridged editions.
Please do NOT combine "The Silver Chair" with "The Chronicles of Narnia"

Jill and Eustace must rescue the Prince from the evil Witch.

NARNIA...where owls are wise, where some of the giants like to snack on humans, where a prince is put under an evil spell...and where the adventure begins.

Eustace and Jill escape from the bullies at school through a strange door in the wall, which, for once, is unlocked. It leads to the open moor...or does it? Once again Aslan has a task for the children, and Narnia needs them. Through dangers untold and caverns deep and dark, they pursue the quest that brings them face and face with the evil Witch. She must be defeated if Prince Rillian is to be saved.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 142,346,931 books! | Top bar: Always visible