The Last Battle by C. S. Lewis

English (128)  Dutch (2)  Polish (1)  All (1)  Spanish (1)  All (133)
This is the last Chronicle of Narnia for which C. S. Lewis won the Carnegie Medal as the best book published for children in 1956. The battle is between King Tirian and the forces of evil, as represented by Shift the Ape and his poor dupe, Puzzle the donkey. Shift dresses Puzzle up as the great Aslan himself, corrupting the animals, slaughtering the talking trees and destroying the harmony of the kingdom. The children from the previous books return to Narnia to help and many other characters from previous stories make appearances as well. C. S. Lewis wrote no more fiction after this book, a great pity. ( )
  gypsysmom | Aug 20, 2017 |
This isn't quite as fun as the others, but it's still a cool way to close out the series. I read the series in publication order this time, and it was neat to see the beginning and end of Narnia back to back. As always I loved the Christian allegory, but parts of the book really have not aged well. And I hate that stupid ape.

And then there's the Susan thing. I like to think that she makes it to Super Narnia eventually, but it sucks that she lost her entire family in one day. Yes, I know, she no longer believes in Narnia and her family all thinks she's shallow, but her punishment is still ridiculously harsh. It just bugs me that the series ends with the idea that there's no hope for Susan—and no one seems to care, or even remember that she exists. Grrr. I still believe in you, Susan. ( )
  AngelClaw | Jul 25, 2017 |
Such an intense story but quite possibly my favorite of the series. A hard read but such a good one! ( )
  rachelsnowden | Jul 24, 2017 |
In "The Last Battle," there are two main stories: Eustace and Jill, two good kids who help Narnia when they can, and Puzzle and Shift, a donkey and an ape. Shift spots a lion's skin floating in the water. Puzzle fishes it out, and they sit around it, wondering what to do about it. Then, Shift gets an idea. He tells Puzzle to put on the lionskin, and the other animals will think that Puzzle is Aslan, the Creator and Hero of Narnia. Shift says that he will be Puzzle's advisor, and the other animals will serve them. The King, Rilian, refuses to worship this lion (that looks like a donkey), and he gets tied to a tree.
Meanwhile, Eustace, Jill, Susan, Edmund, Lucy, and Peter are on a train to visit Digory and Polly, the people who were in Narnia when it was created. Peter, Susan, Edmund, and Lucy's parents are also on the train. The train turns the corner, but it seems to be going too fast. All of a sudden, Eustace and Jill find themselves in Narnia right next to King Rilian, who is tied to a tree. (Don't ask. It's Narnia.) They untie Rilian, and he brings them to a hideout in the woods. They wonder why "Aslan" is doing this to Narnia.
Meanwhile, Shift recruits the Calormen, rivals of Narnia, to help enslave all the animals. Then, Shift tells everyone that Tash, an evil entity that the Calormen worship, and Aslan, the creator of Narnia that everyone loves, are one entity, Tashlan (just rolls off the tongue, doesn't it?). By then, the animals are like, "Why the heck is our hero and Creator enslaving us?!?" The Ape, Shift, tells everybody that if they want to see "Tashlan," they have to go into a barn. A cat goes in and comes out really scared, and a nice Calorman (?) goes in, and a corpse falls out. The kids save Puzzle, who is being mistreated, and they rebel against Tashlan. They stage a battle, and the dwarves become a controversial party and try to kill everybody. The protaganists get driven inside the barn, and they are inside a meadow that Digory and Polly know as The Wood Between the Worlds. They meet all of their old friends and live eternally because their parents are dead and Narnia is destroyed. They are happy. ( )
  EthanR.G1 | Jun 1, 2017 |
This is the worst of all the Narnia books. While I have a strong personal dislike for The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe and rated it two stars as well, I can at least see why others like it. I just found it mind-numbingly boring. This, on the other hand, is hard to like and, more importantly, hard to defend.

It starts out strong, with an ape tricking his donkey friend into wearing a lion pelt that washed into a pond they frequent so that he can pretend to be Aslan and get people to do stuff for him. It's obviously analogous to the Antichrist but I'm fine with that. It's a fascinating part of the Christian myth and makes for good drama and tension.

The second half is where everything falls apart. The Antichrist signals the end times, and as you can imagine that's exactly what happens. Unfortunately it happens rather slowly, and boringly. After much ado about nothing Aslan shows up, kills Narnia, ushers everyone through a magical door into the 'real' Narnia (Heaven) and they live happily ever after, theoretically. Except all the kids actually died in a horrible train accident back in our world and Susan gets to stay behind in the world where her friends are dead because fuck her, am I right?

It's not so much the heavy-handed Christian apologist on the other end of these words that I have a problem with. After all, that's been there from the start and I've been pretty okay with it. It's more that this is the first time I've truly felt that Lewis let his faith worsen his storytelling instead of mining the Christian myth for all it's worth. The descriptions of 'Heaven' go on forever and are uninspired, which grinds the pace to a halt. All conflict disappears in the build up to the end times because you know what's going to happen so early, and that none of these struggles in the moment will really mean anything by the end.

Oh, and did I mention that it's got some pretty obvious racist undertones? And that it says Susan is denied Heaven primarily because she's off having sex, basically, and that's wrong and stuff? Like I said, it's pretty hard to defend. Still, I give it two stars instead of one because the book started off simply in the style of a parable with a donkey pretending to be Aslan because of his mean ape friend, and as that it was enjoyable for a short time. Also because it's the end of the series and it brings back all your favorite characters in the end, which does feel a little nostalgic and heart-warming. I may have only gotten around to reading all the books in the last couple of years, but Narnia has technically been a part of my life since I first read Magician's Nephew, Wardrobe, and Silver Chair back in middle school. Even with all the Christian propaganda, it's bittersweet to see it go. ( )
  ForeverMasterless | Apr 23, 2017 |
The Christian symbolism is clear enough, but the book can stand on its own feet as a deeply moving and hauntingly lovely story apart from the doctrinal content.

C. S. Lewisprimary authorall editionscalculated
Nielsen, CliffCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pauline BaynesCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stewart, PatrickNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Van Allsburg, ChrisCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
In the last days of Narnia, far up to the west beyond Lantern Waste and close beside the great waterfall, there lived an Ape.
Unabridged. Please do NOT combine with any abridged editions.
Please do NOT combine "The Last Battle" with "The Chronicles of Narnia"

Das Finale der Chroniken von Narnia! Böse Zeiten brechen über das Land des Löwen herein. Der Affe Listig verkleidet den Esel Wirrkopf mit einem Löwenfell und gibt ihn als Aslan, den mächtigen Schöpfer Narnias, aus. Die Bewohner des Landes werden versklavt und nach Kalormen verkauft. Aslan bringt Eustachius und Jill auf seine eigene Art und Weise nach Narnia, um dem Betrug ein Ende zu bereiten. Als die Kalormen aber ihren Gott Tash ins Spiel bringen, beginnt der eigentliche Kampf. Wie wird er enden? Wird Narnia weiterleben oder untergehen? Werden die Kalormen die Oberhand gewinnen und Narnia vernichten?

The last battle is the greatest of all battles

Narnia ... where lies breed fear ... where loyalty is tested ... where all hope seems lost.

During the last days of Narnia, the land faces its fiercest challenge -- not an invader from without but an enemy from within. Lies and treachery have taken root, and only the king and a small band of loyal followers can prevent the destruction of all they hold dear in this, the magnificent ending to The Chronicles of Narnia.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:19 -0400)

When evil comes to Narnia, Jill and Eustace help fight the great last battle and Aslan leads his people to a glorious new paradise.

Legacy Library: C. S. Lewis

C. S. Lewis has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See C. S. Lewis's legacy profile.

See C. S. Lewis's author page.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 118,588,094 books! | Top bar: Always visible