The Last Battle (Narnia) by C. S. Lewis

The Last Battle (Narnia) (original 1956; edition 1994)

by C. S. Lewis, Pauline Baynes (Illustrator)

Member:silverwing2332
Title:The Last Battle (Narnia)
Authors:C. S. Lewis
Other authors:Pauline Baynes (Illustrator)
Info:HarperTrophy (1994), Paperback, 224 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:Fantasy

The Last Battle by C. S. Lewis (1956)

English (99)  Dutch (2)  Polish (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (104)
Up until the last three chapters, I enjoyed the book. Save for the rather poorly written and equally poorly veiled retelling of Revelations in the last three chapters, The Last Battle is a parable about the dangers of blindly following. It starts with a monkey's deception and coercian of a donkey. From there it leads to the corruption and invasion of Narnia and the dethroning of the last monarch. At the last battle (actually the only battle in the book) C.S. Lewis stops telling a story and just starts preaching. It would have been a more powerful book if the characters had just been allowed to be defeated. Instead the entire world is destroyed and all the characters killed just so they can all be "happily" reunited in the last chapter with characters from previous chapters. LAME ENDING to an otherwise well written book. ( )
  pussreboots | Aug 18, 2014 |
I find [b:The Last Battle|84369|The Last Battle (Chronicles of Narnia, #7)|C.S. Lewis|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1308814830s/84369.jpg|1059917] a rather odd mix. On the one hand, I love the eerie opening, and the strange, unsettling, quietly apocalyptic tone throughout the first half of the story. I like the delayed entrance of the narrator's voice, which contributes to the unsettling, eerie feeling of the book's first chapters. And I really like the first moments of "through the stable door," as the dark horrors of Narnia are transformed into a fresh, bright world. However, I'm disappointed by Tirian, the last king of Narnia, who seems only half-finished. He's a weak king who makes a number of poor choices that lead him and his friends into an inescapable corner. I find I'm a little disappointed that the final king is so bland, so lifeless and uininspiring. Also, I feel that the demise of Narnia comes about too quickly. Only a few weeks after the Ape finds the lion skin, Narnia falls, and this seems wrong. Finally, I find that the end of the book goes on a bit too long, becoming less a vision of the transition from this world to heaven and more the ramblings of a mid-20th century British guy about the glories of being British. "Further up and further in" is a decent rallying cry at the beginning, but I got a bit weary of it, and of panting dogs, descriptions of maybe-running/maybe-flying/maybe-swimming, etc. Critics of [a:Lewis|1069006|C.S. Lewis|https://d.gr-assets.com/authors/1367519078p2/1069006.jpg]--especially [a:Philip Pullman|3618|Philip Pullman|https://d.gr-assets.com/authors/1396622492p2/3618.jpg]--find much to hate about The Last Battle, and while I don't fully agree with all of the typical criticisms, I certainly see the validity of some of them. I don't believe that Lewis intentionally wanted to keep the Pevensies in pre-adulthood, denying them the experiences of marriage, sex, family, and professional vocation. But he could have handled this aspect of the book better. It is a shame that Peter never gets to use his wisdom and experience from Narnia to make our world a better place. It seems a bit purposeless and wasteful to have given the Pevensies all of these Narnian experiences, when they were going to be removed from the "real world" at such a young age. One of the biggest criticisms of the end of the Narnia series is the fate of Susan. Apologists will point out that the end of the Narnia stories is not the end of Susan's story, and she has every opportunity of returning to a childlike faith in Aslan or Jesus. But critics can counter that, given how Lewis has treated female characters throughout the series, it is unfortunate that he chose to make Susan the one who "was a jolly sight too keen on being grown-up" (154). And Peter's dismissal of the grief over Susan is one of my favorite unintentionally comic parts of the series:    "My sister Susan . . . is no longer a friend of Narnia. . . . Well, don't let us talk about that now," said Peter. "Look! Here are lovely fruit-trees. Let us taste them." (154-155)Ouch.For Doctor Who fans, there are plenty of moments in The Last Battle to enjoy, as we learn that heaven is "bigger on the inside than on the outside." There are, of course, quite a number of tangential connections between C.S. Lewis and Doctor Who. The most obvious is the death date of Lewis/birth date of Doctor Who--but can you find another way Lewis and the Doctor are connected, via the episode "Vincent and the Doctor"? A final nitpick: In [b:The Voyage of the Dawn Treader|140225|The Voyage of the Dawn Treader (Chronicles of Narnia, #3)|C.S. Lewis|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1343185059s/140225.jpg|3349054], Reepicheep tosses away his sword before entering Aslan's country, saying "I shall need it no more" (244). In The Last Battle, he has a sword again. Where did it come from? Does he need it in Aslan's country after all? My reviews of the Narnia series: The Magician's Nephew The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe The Horse and His Boy Prince Caspian The Voyage of the Dawn Treader The Silver Chair The Last Battle ( )
  ethnosax | Aug 8, 2014 |
this is the only book of the series that i really honestly dont like.
I hated the donkey & the lion thing
HATED IT
I think I just dont like humilation and stupidity and I dont like it when bad things happen.
Im not making any sense lol.. but I just avoid this book
The ending is ok. But not ideal

Read it if you like. But I dont encourage you to ( )
1 vote JazMinderr | Jul 31, 2014 |
My daughter (age 9) said that this was a good ending to the series. My son (nearly 5) was just excited that he had listened to a seven-book series. They're playing Narnia-inspired games together now. I hear them calling out, "Those who are my children, come hither!" from the playroom.

I wasn't so thrilled with the book myself. It was fine, but the religious stuff was a little too obvious and the racist bits were a little more squirm-inducing. I found it disappointing after The Silver Chair. ( )
  ImperfectCJ | Jul 16, 2014 |
As a kid, this was my favorite Narnia book. I don't think it's that anymore, especially since the whole "Problem of Susan" has become much more multi-faceted in my mind, but it's still a good story. The tone is darker than the previous books, and I don't enjoy the PLOT is much, but I get what C.S. Lewis was doing, and as far as diving in to the philosophy and theology behind his works, I think this book comes second only to Voyage of the Dawn Treader in fascinating spiritual themes. ( )
  Stormydawnc | Jun 23, 2014 |
The Christian symbolism is clear enough, but the book can stand on its own feet as a deeply moving and hauntingly lovely story apart from the doctrinal content.

C. S. Lewisprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Nielsen, CliffCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pauline BaynesCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stewart, PatrickNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Van Allsburg, ChrisCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
In the last days of Narnia, far up to the west beyond Lantern Waste and close beside the great waterfall, there lived an Ape.
Unabridged. Please do NOT combine with any abridged editions.
Please do NOT combine "The Last Battle" with "The Chronicles of Narnia"

Das Finale der Chroniken von Narnia! Böse Zeiten brechen über das Land des Löwen herein. Der Affe Listig verkleidet den Esel Wirrkopf mit einem Löwenfell und gibt ihn als Aslan, den mächtigen Schöpfer Narnias, aus. Die Bewohner des Landes werden versklavt und nach Kalormen verkauft. Aslan bringt Eustachius und Jill auf seine eigene Art und Weise nach Narnia, um dem Betrug ein Ende zu bereiten. Als die Kalormen aber ihren Gott Tash ins Spiel bringen, beginnt der eigentliche Kampf. Wie wird er enden? Wird Narnia weiterleben oder untergehen? Werden die Kalormen die Oberhand gewinnen und Narnia vernichten?

The last battle is the greatest of all battles

Narnia ... where lies breed fear ... where loyalty is tested ... where all hope seems lost.

During the last days of Narnia, the land faces its fiercest challenge -- not an invader from without but an enemy from within. Lies and treachery have taken root, and only the king and a small band of loyal followers can prevent the destruction of all they hold dear in this, the magnificent ending to The Chronicles of Narnia.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:58:13 -0400)

When evil comes to Narnia, Jill and Eustace help fight the great last battle and Aslan leads his people to a glorious new paradise.

Legacy Library: C. S. Lewis

C. S. Lewis has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See C. S. Lewis's legacy profile.

See C. S. Lewis's author page.

Seven editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,819,981 books! | Top bar: Always visible