The Last Battle (Narnia) by C. S. Lewis
Title:The Last Battle (Narnia)
Authors:C. S. Lewis
Other authors:Pauline Baynes (Illustrator)
Info:HarperTrophy (1994), Paperback, 224 pages

The Last Battle by C. S. Lewis (1956)

English (101)  Dutch (2)  Polish (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (106)
Narnia 7.
The end, at last. Fine children's books, but hardly as durable as Lord of the Rings?
Read in Samoa Dec 2002 ( )
  mbmackay | Nov 27, 2015 |
"In The Last Battle, there is trouble in Narnia: a false Aslam is around. For the first time I was really and truly scared for Narnia. How could they believe that Aslan was the real one? How can they believe that so easily? How can they lose all their hope so easily, too? With all this trouble, Eustace and Jill come tumbling down Narnia, to help. This book has a darker tone compared to the other books, and perhaps it also has the most bloodshed too. There were a bit too many battle scenes in this book that I can hardly think that this is a book for kids anymore.

Aslan is hands down one of my favorite characters, and possibly one of my favorite representations of God in literature, so seeing someone parade as a false one is scary. But in a way I can't blame the people for acting that way. I'm not saying it's right, but it just wasn't surprising. Aslan being gone for a long time and with only his true disciples passing the belief down from generation to generation is bound to make some people question him at some point. It's a messy, messy thing. The Last Battle reminds me a bit of Prince Caspian, where the characters' faith in Aslan was challenged so much that it was almost too late before they finally realized that they were wrong.

Nevertheless, I think The Last Battle was a pretty good ending for a beloved series, even if it is one that can spur new questions, not about the book but about what the author intends for it to represent in real life. If anything, I think this book is the installment that dealt the most about faith and its nature, and how it is really a matter of choosing to stand up for what you believe and for who you believe in, even if everyone and everything else around you is saying otherwise.

Interesting quotes that I didn't include in the review:
They have chosen cunning instead of belief. Their prison is only in their minds, yet they are in that prison; and so afraid of being taken in that they cannot be taken out.

The Last Passage
And the very first person whom Aslan called to him was Puzzle the Donkey. You never saw a donkey look feebler and sillier than Puzzle did as he walked up to Aslan, and he looked, beside Aslan, as small as a kitten looks beside a St. Bernard. The Lion bowed down his head and whispered something to Puzzle at which his long ears went down, but then he said something else at which the ears perked up again. The humans couldn’t hear what he had said either time. Then Aslan turned to them and said:
“You do not yet look so happy as I mean you to be.”
Lucy said, “We’re so afraid of being sent away, Aslan. And you have sent us back into our own world so often.”
“No fear of that,” said Aslan. “Have you not guessed?”
Their hearts leaped and a wild hope rose within them.
“There was a real railway accident,” said Aslan softly. “Your father and mother and all of you are—as you used to call it in the Shadowlands—dead. The term is over: the holidays have begun. The dream is ended: this is the morning.”
And as He spoke He no longer looked to them like a lion; but the things that began to happen after that were so great and beautiful that I cannot write them. And for us this is the end of all the stories, and we can most truly say that they all lived happily ever after. But for them it was only the beginning of the real story. All their life in this world and all their adventures in Narnia had only been the cover and the title page: now at last they were beginning Chapter One of the Great Story which no one on earth has read: which goes on forever: in which every chapter is better than the one before.
" ( )
  AdemilsonM | Sep 2, 2015 |
This book would be good to use when talking about the end of the world. I think students will like this because it is an integrating view of how the world might end. ( )
  Kate_Schulte078 | May 5, 2015 |
My favorite book ever! This book is perfect ( )
  melanielost | Feb 16, 2015 |
Could I give it ſix ſtars? I read þis ſome ſeven times already. Even had ðe laſt oh ſo beautiful pages by heart. ( )
  leandrod | Feb 10, 2015 |
The Christian symbolism is clear enough, but the book can stand on its own feet as a deeply moving and hauntingly lovely story apart from the doctrinal content.

C. S. Lewisprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Nielsen, CliffCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pauline BaynesCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stewart, PatrickNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Van Allsburg, ChrisCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
In the last days of Narnia, far up to the west beyond Lantern Waste and close beside the great waterfall, there lived an Ape.
Unabridged. Please do NOT combine with any abridged editions.
Please do NOT combine "The Last Battle" with "The Chronicles of Narnia"

Das Finale der Chroniken von Narnia! Böse Zeiten brechen über das Land des Löwen herein. Der Affe Listig verkleidet den Esel Wirrkopf mit einem Löwenfell und gibt ihn als Aslan, den mächtigen Schöpfer Narnias, aus. Die Bewohner des Landes werden versklavt und nach Kalormen verkauft. Aslan bringt Eustachius und Jill auf seine eigene Art und Weise nach Narnia, um dem Betrug ein Ende zu bereiten. Als die Kalormen aber ihren Gott Tash ins Spiel bringen, beginnt der eigentliche Kampf. Wie wird er enden? Wird Narnia weiterleben oder untergehen? Werden die Kalormen die Oberhand gewinnen und Narnia vernichten?

The last battle is the greatest of all battles

Narnia ... where lies breed fear ... where loyalty is tested ... where all hope seems lost.

During the last days of Narnia, the land faces its fiercest challenge -- not an invader from without but an enemy from within. Lies and treachery have taken root, and only the king and a small band of loyal followers can prevent the destruction of all they hold dear in this, the magnificent ending to The Chronicles of Narnia.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:19 -0400)

When evil comes to Narnia, Jill and Eustace help fight the great last battle and Aslan leads his people to a glorious new paradise.

Legacy Library: C. S. Lewis

C. S. Lewis has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See C. S. Lewis's legacy profile.

See C. S. Lewis's author page.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,941,133 books! | Top bar: Always visible