Out of the Silent Planet by C. S. Lewis

Out of the Silent Planet (original 1938; edition 1968)

by C. S. Lewis, Bernard Symancyk (Cover artist)

7,188120495 (3.85)202
Member:TomVeal
Title:Out of the Silent Planet
Authors:C. S. Lewis
Other authors:Bernard Symancyk (Cover artist)
Info:New York: Macmillan, 1968 [c1938]. 160 p., 18 cm., Mass Market Paperback
Collections:Your library, Religion, Science Fiction, Fantasy, Alternate History
Rating:****1/2
Tags:#Science Fiction & Fantasy, Science Fiction > Mars > Angels & Demons, C. S. Lewis

Out of the Silent Planet by C. S. Lewis (1938)

That Hideous Strength by C. S. Lewis (atrautz)
    Perelandra by C. S. Lewis (atrautz, KayCliff)
    The Dark Tower and Other Stories by C. S. Lewis (Sylak)
    Sylak: Once you've read every book C.S. Lewis published read this one for one last treat.
    The Shadow and Night by Chris Walley (legendaryneo)
    legendaryneo: This is another Christian space trilogy, and one of the best series I've ever read.
    Between Planets by Robert A. Heinlein (markusnenadovus)
    markusnenadovus: Lewis is great, but Heinlein does better SF

English (115)  Swedish (2)  Spanish (1)  Italian (1)  All (1)  All (120)
This is not a full review of his book...more of a recall of some of the many other times I tried to read this book. I found the three thin paperbacks of Lewis's Space Trilogy I owned at a used bookshop in Connecticut more than 30 years ago after failing to get into the library copies when I was younger. I rediscovered them - and attempted vainly to read them - each time after packing and unpacking them through 14 moves, only to lose them in a fire in 2013. I tried more times than I can remember to read them, but never succeeded.

Just. Couldn't. Get. Into. Them...

Or, more accurately, couldn't get into this one. I finally forced myself to read it, and I discovered carrying around the negligible weight all those years was a waste. His writing is tedious, his science poor (yes, I know...1938), but really, the book doesn't even hold its own against the pulp from the era that I've read. The phrase about the devil in the details is ironic and appropriate, given all the other ... material ... Lewis wrote. He was far too preachy and obvious for an intelligent reader.

I kept the books because Lewis's trilogy is called a classic, and classic science fiction that I wanted dearly to someday read. I read and really liked the Narnia books as a child, but found them immature when reread as a teen and incredibly shallow, naive, and comically transparent as an adult. Some young fiction does okay for adults, and some, like Narnia, does not. None of Lewis's books I've read can hold up to any rational thought, so if they aren't entertaining, then they have no value. Please don't troll me with Screwtape (read it...unfortunately) or any of his other apologetic attempts...he's quite unconvincing.

It took me forty years to final power though this book. I doubt I have eighty more for the next two. ( )
  Razinha | May 23, 2017 |
This classic book from bestselling author C.S. Lewis is the first book in his space trilogy. You will take a journey with Dr. Ransom who escapes death after being abducted by a megalomaniac physicist.
  mcmlsbookbutler | May 23, 2017 |
I tried reading the ebook version, then listening to the audio version, but it's just too dull for me. (I made it through 2 out of 5 audio segments.)
  J.Green | Apr 7, 2017 |
Genre: Science fiction
Age: Middle School
Media:none
Review/ Critique: Two men capture the main character and bring him to another planet because they think the inhabitants want a blood sacrifice. He runs away once on the new planet and learns a lot about their world, the creatures on it, and their language. He understands the aliens more than the other guys do and learns that they do not want to hurt them. This is a science fiction story because they didn't have spaceships in the 1930s when this takes place. Also, as far as we know there are not intelligent creatures living elsewhere in our solar system. Once the story begins to unfold the reader gets lost in this intriguing world.
  kwilson14 | Mar 23, 2017 |
Elwin Ransom is on a walking tour when he is drugged and kidnapped. He wakes up on a spaceship headed for Malacandra, which we know as Mars.

I'm not sure how grounded in contemporary (pre WWII) science this was, but anyway it's more an exploration of theology. What might a planet where there was no Fall be like? And what would be the effect if Fallen man (and it is man, I don't think there were any female characters apart from a brief appearance from a random countrywoman at the beginning on Earth) arrived? Enjoyable, but needs a shifting of mental gears to get into if you're more used to traditional SF. ( )
  Robertgreaves | Mar 23, 2017 |

Koven, BrookeDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Nielsen, CliffCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Symancyk, BernardCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my brother W. H. L. a life-long critic of the space-and-time story
The last drops of the thundershower had hardly ceased falling when the Pedestrian stuffed his map into his pocket, settled his pack more comfortably on his tired shoulders, and stepped out from the shelter of a large chestnut-tree into the middle of the road.

The first book in C. S. Lewis's acclaimed Space Trilogy, which continues with Perelandra and That Hideous Strength, Out of the Silent Planet begins the adventures of the remarkable Dr. Ransom. Here, that estimable man is abducted by a megalomaniacal physicist and his accomplice and taken via spaceship to the red planet of Malacandra. The two men are in need of a human sacrifice, and Dr. Ransom would seem to fit the bill. Once on the planet, however, Ransom eludes his captors, risking his life and his chances of returning to Earth, becoming a stranger in a land that is enchanting in its difference from Earth and instructive in its similarity. First published in 1943, Out of the Silent Planet remains a mysterious and suspenseful tour de force.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:08 -0400)

Dr. Ransom, a noted philologist, is kidnapped and flown by spaceship to Malacandra (Mars) where he flees his human captors and establishes communication with the planet's extraordinary inhabitants. What he learns galvanizes his attempt to return to Earth with a message of great urgency.… (more)

Legacy Library: C. S. Lewis

C. S. Lewis has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See C. S. Lewis's legacy profile.

See C. S. Lewis's author page.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,491,428 books! | Top bar: Always visible