Out of the Silent Planet by C. S. Lewis

Out of the Silent Planet (original 1938; edition 1968)

by C. S. Lewis, Bernard Symancyk (Cover artist)

Member:TomVeal
Title:Out of the Silent Planet
Authors:C. S. Lewis
Other authors:Bernard Symancyk (Cover artist)
Info:New York: Macmillan, 1968 [c1938]. 160 p., 18 cm., Mass Market Paperback
Collections:Your library, Religion, Science Fiction, Fantasy, Alternate History
Rating:****1/2
Tags:#Science Fiction & Fantasy, Science Fiction > Mars > Angels & Demons, C. S. Lewis

Out of the Silent Planet by C. S. Lewis (1938)

That Hideous Strength by C. S. Lewis (atrautz)
    Perelandra by C. S. Lewis (atrautz, KayCliff)
    The Dark Tower and Other Stories by C. S. Lewis (Sylak)
    Sylak: Once you've read every book C.S. Lewis published read this one for one last treat.
    The Shadow and Night by Chris Walley (legendaryneo)
    legendaryneo: This is another Christian space trilogy, and one of the best series I've ever read.
    Between Planets by Robert A. Heinlein (markusnenadovus)
    markusnenadovus: Lewis is great, but Heinlein does better SF

English (112)  Swedish (2)  Spanish (1)  Italian (1)  All (1)  All (117)
Genre: Science fiction
Age: Middle School
Media:none
Review/ Critique: Two men capture the main character and bring him to another planet because they think the inhabitants want a blood sacrifice. He runs away once on the new planet and learns a lot about their world, the creatures on it, and their language. He understands the aliens more than the other guys do and learns that they do not want to hurt them. This is a science fiction story because they didn't have spaceships in the 1930s when this takes place. Also, as far as we know there are not intelligent creatures living elsewhere in our solar system. Once the story begins to unfold the reader gets lost in this intriguing world.
  kwilson14 | Mar 23, 2017 |
Elwin Ransom is on a walking tour when he is drugged and kidnapped. He wakes up on a spaceship headed for Malacandra, which we know as Mars.

I'm not sure how grounded in contemporary (pre WWII) science this was, but anyway it's more an exploration of theology. What might a planet where there was no Fall be like? And what would be the effect if Fallen man (and it is man, I don't think there were any female characters apart from a brief appearance from a random countrywoman at the beginning on Earth) arrived? Enjoyable, but needs a shifting of mental gears to get into if you're more used to traditional SF. ( )
  Robertgreaves | Mar 23, 2017 |
Summary: This book is about the adventure of a man named Ransom, as he is abducted by scientists who take him to another planet. Once Ransom gets there however, he escapes his captors and has to then learn to survive in a new and strange world filled with unique challenges and animals.
Review: This book takes the science fiction route because of its setting of aliens, new planets, and technologies that have not been invented yet even though it takes place in the late 1900's. The book itself, however, is engaging to readers that are a bit older I would think, and have a dictionary handy for the occasional word that is new to them.
Media: Novel, no pictures besides the cover which appears to be paint ( )
  C-Roy | Mar 9, 2017 |
This review is written with a GPL 4.0 license and the rights contained therein shall supersede all TOS by any and all websites in regards to copying and sharing without proper authorization and permissions. Crossposted at WordPress, Blogspot, & Librarything and links at Booklikes, & Goodreads by Bookstooge’s Exalted Permission

Title: Out of the Silent Planet
Series: Space Trilogy #1
Author: C.S. Lewis
Rating: 3.5 of 5 Stars
Genre: SFF
Pages: 241
Format: Digital Edition

Synopsis: Spoilers

Professor Ransom, taking a long sabbatical from work, is walking about England for the sheer heck of it. He gets involved in a situation with a former classmate and ends up being kidnapped and taken to another planet as a human sacrifice. He escapes and begins to learn a little bit about this new [to him] world, Malacandra and eventually comes before the ruler of the world to face his kidnappers and learn what fate awaits him.

The postscript, or Epilogue, takes a slightly different tone and is from the viewpoint of Lewis, who has been hired by Ransom to tell his story. Lewis learns that Ransom is not a balmy old bat but a man with some seriously influential spiritual friends. Ends with Ransom being prepared for some sort of mission.

My Thoughts:

This Space Trilogy has a story associated with it for me, so please bear with me as I meanderingly make my way to the actual review. When I was in 3rd grade, our school had a book fair and in one of the “big kids” booths was this paperback trilogy in a nice slipcase.

Not the best picture, but shows the colors and the picture that just drew me in. The books themselves are light blue, orangey'-red and then a darker blue. For whatever reason, when I saw this set, for $8, my 3rd grade self knew that I would DIE if I couldn't own these. My father lent me the money [where he got it, I have no idea, as we were literally dirt poor] and thus I became the proud owner. I manfully struggled through the first book, understanding it was about a man going to another planet. I simply read, without comprehending a thing, the second book and the size of the 3rd one kept me from even trying it. It wasn't until years later in highschool that I revisited these and “understood” what I was reading. But I will always associate these books with that feeling of OWNING my first Grown Up books.

Onward!

I really enjoyed this read. The main reason for it being a 3.5star read has more to do with comparison than a lack in the book itself. I read this primarily as a Science Fiction book and not as a theological one wrapped in an SFF wrapper. In that regards, there are a lot of better written, more enjoyable, more fleshed out books out there.

The other thing that dragged it down a bit for me was the epilogue with Lewis and from Lewis's point of view. It was supposed to be fearful, unsure and unconvinced, but I didn't like that change of tone from Ransom's earlier in the book. Maybe I'm just so mired in the mundane that I have lost any fear, in the right sense of the word, of the spiritual world and Lewis's account just made me uncomfortable with the reality?

I did find it interesting to see how Lewis dealt with the very idea of “aliens”. I also realized just how deeply formed my views on life and how humans interact with the universe have been shaped by this book. As a Christian I'm not convinced God has created other lifeforms beyond angels and humans but if He has, I can totally buy into Lewis's idea of a Quarantine around Earth because of the Fall of Man starting with Adam and Eve. I suspect that a lot of the conclusions that I've come to on my own about alien life are, in fact, the workings out of my initial reading of this book back in 3rd grade.

The next book, Perelandra, is a very different beast, so we'll see how my read of that goes. I suspect I'll be looking at much more from the theological and philosophical than just the SF angle. ( )
1 vote BookstoogeLT | Mar 4, 2017 |

Koven, BrookeDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Nielsen, CliffCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Symancyk, BernardCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my brother W. H. L. a life-long critic of the space-and-time story
The last drops of the thundershower had hardly ceased falling when the Pedestrian stuffed his map into his pocket, settled his pack more comfortably on his tired shoulders, and stepped out from the shelter of a large chestnut-tree into the middle of the road.

The first book in C. S. Lewis's acclaimed Space Trilogy, which continues with Perelandra and That Hideous Strength, Out of the Silent Planet begins the adventures of the remarkable Dr. Ransom. Here, that estimable man is abducted by a megalomaniacal physicist and his accomplice and taken via spaceship to the red planet of Malacandra. The two men are in need of a human sacrifice, and Dr. Ransom would seem to fit the bill. Once on the planet, however, Ransom eludes his captors, risking his life and his chances of returning to Earth, becoming a stranger in a land that is enchanting in its difference from Earth and instructive in its similarity. First published in 1943, Out of the Silent Planet remains a mysterious and suspenseful tour de force.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:08 -0400)

Dr. Ransom, a noted philologist, is kidnapped and flown by spaceship to Malacandra (Mars) where he flees his human captors and establishes communication with the planet's extraordinary inhabitants. What he learns galvanizes his attempt to return to Earth with a message of great urgency.… (more)

Legacy Library: C. S. Lewis

C. S. Lewis has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See C. S. Lewis's legacy profile.

See C. S. Lewis's author page.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,314,760 books! | Top bar: Always visible