Out of the Silent Planet (Space Trilogy,…

Out of the Silent Planet (Space Trilogy, Book One) (original 1938; edition 2003)

by C.S. Lewis

6,29194633 (3.85)162
Member:RichardBorkow
Title:Out of the Silent Planet (Space Trilogy, Book One)
Authors:C.S. Lewis
Info:Scribner (2003), Paperback, 160 pages
Tags:science fiction, religious

Out of the Silent Planet by C. S. Lewis (Author) (1938)

That Hideous Strength by C. S. Lewis (atrautz)
    The Dark Tower and Other Stories by C. S. Lewis (Sylak)
    Sylak: Once you've read every book C.S. Lewis published read this one for one last treat.
    The Shadow and Night by Chris Walley (legendaryneo)
    legendaryneo: This is another Christian space trilogy, and one of the best series I've ever read.
    Perelandra by C. S. Lewis (atrautz, KayCliff)
    Between Planets by Robert A. Heinlein (markusnenadovus)
    markusnenadovus: Lewis is great, but Heinlein does better SF

English (89)  Swedish (2)  Spanish (1)  Italian (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  All languages (94)
I can only hope that the trilogy gets better. Far too much description for me and far too little in the way of character development and interaction. ( )
  AliceAnna | Oct 22, 2014 |
The first half is interesting if a little dated. The second half makes up for the dated sci-fi setting by a really interesting philosophical look at the spiritual realm of Earth from an otherwordly perspective. ( )
  iamjonlarson | Sep 29, 2014 |
I really loved this book. Lewis is well-known for his Christian allegory, of which this book is another example, but his imagination works very well in science fiction. Ransom is a likable and inspiring character, who guides us along a noble path through the incredible world of Malacandra. I've found that many of Lewis' books have periods where they seem to drag, but I have always found it worthwhile to keep reading! ( )
  hgehr | Sep 17, 2014 |
I'm a fan of Lewis' work, but I admit I didn't have any great expectations for this trilogy, mainly because I couldn't imagine how he could successfully adapt his writing style to the genre of science fiction. Thus I was pleasantly surprised when I found this volume tolerable, even enjoyable. It did drag in places as Lewis took his time saying exactly what it was that he wanted to say, and there were parts that seemed as if they could have been lifted wholesale from one of the Narnia books, changing some of the nouns / names / descriptors. The ending was satisfying enough that I'm not sure I'll be compelled to read the rest of the trilogy - we'll see. ( )
  milkyfangs | Aug 9, 2014 |

Having been reading so much about Tolkien over the last few years, Out Of The Silent Planet has acquired a new depth for me - especially since the hero, Ransom, is rather obviously meant to be an alternate bachelor version of Tolkien himself, free to go and explore Mars (well, to be kidnapped by an evil former schoolmate and his evil rich sponsor) without being burdened by family commitments. It is partly intended, of course, as a moral parable, a thought experiment of exploring a world which has not experienced the Fall; but I think it's interesting that Lewis does locate it in the wider sf genre precisely by invoking it scornfully (in the words of the characters) and then apologising to HG Wells in a note at the very end. ( )
  nwhyte | Jun 2, 2014 |

Koven, BrookeDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Nielsen, CliffCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Symancyk, BernardCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my brother W. H. L. a life-long critic of the space-and-time story
The last drops of the thundershower had hardly ceased falling when the Pedestrian stuffed his map into his pocket, settled his pack more comfortably on his tired shoulders, and stepped out from the shelter of a large chestnut-tree into the middle of the road.

The first book in C. S. Lewis's acclaimed Space Trilogy, which continues with Perelandra and That Hideous Strength, Out of the Silent Planet begins the adventures of the remarkable Dr. Ransom. Here, that estimable man is abducted by a megalomaniacal physicist and his accomplice and taken via spaceship to the red planet of Malacandra. The two men are in need of a human sacrifice, and Dr. Ransom would seem to fit the bill. Once on the planet, however, Ransom eludes his captors, risking his life and his chances of returning to Earth, becoming a stranger in a land that is enchanting in its difference from Earth and instructive in its similarity. First published in 1943, Out of the Silent Planet remains a mysterious and suspenseful tour de force.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:25:40 -0400)

Dr. Ransom, a noted philologist, is kidnapped and flown by spaceship to Malacandra (Mars) where he flees his human captors and establishes communication with the planet's extraordinary inhabitants. What he learns galvanizes his attempt to return to Earth with a message of great urgency.… (more)

Legacy Library: C. S. Lewis

C. S. Lewis has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See C. S. Lewis's legacy profile.

See C. S. Lewis's author page.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,382,840 books! | Top bar: Always visible