The Horse and His Boy by C. S. Lewis
18,320177153 (3.87)287
A boy and a talking horse share an adventurous and dangerous journey to Narnia to warn of invading barbarians.
Recently added byLoriGuinn, EvangelPCA-ICT, katie4098, private library, Rebekahec, Linyarai, emakay, Sutekh_USyd, pyrusj
Legacy LibrariesC. S. Lewis

English (166)  Dutch (3)  Spanish (2)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Polish (1)  Italian (1)  Danish (1)  German (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  All languages (177)
A great classic. ( )
  Linyarai | Feb 16, 2020 |
I’ve never been super crazy about this Narnia book. I think it’s the only Narnia book I’ve felt this way. Granted this time I felt distracted listening to it on audiobooks in the midst of caring for the kids so perhaps I’d feel differently if I read it by myself.

Christian - 5 stars
Julia - 3 1/2 stars
Me - 3 1/2 stars ( )
  Sparrowgirl | Dec 21, 2019 |
Coming back to this series, I'm surprised by how much I really like it. "The Horse and His Boy" is a little parable which doesn't really connect with the rest of the Narnia series, but there's something about the imagery of this duo and their cross-country travels that really appealed to me as a child. I think it's rather lovely, really. ( )
  therebelprince | Dec 14, 2019 |
See my video review of the series here: https://youtu.be/g04BC4ephZc

I have somewhat mixed feelings about this book. I really like horses, so the fact that two of the four main characters in this story were talking horses was a plus, but my favorite part of the Narnia world is the whimsy of it all. In the last volume (reading in publication order), we got giants and Marsh-wiggles and enchantments; in the one before that, we got to tour a variety of mystical islands. This time, the part of the Narnian world we explored was Calormen, which feels very much like an Earth society (no magic or talking animals or anything of the sort). That made this book my least favorite of the series so far.

On the plus side, this is probably the most feminist volume so far. It depicts Lucy actually fighting in a battle without anyone saying that her doing so is "ugly" or any other such thing (!!!) and the new female main character is a very strong girl who spends at least part of the book dressed in mail and armed.

On the topic of race, however, I had some fairly mixed feelings about how the Calormene people were portrayed (as I did in their first appearance in Voyage of the Dawn Treader, as well). These are the only non-white people we've come across in the Narnian world--to be specific, they are portrayed as similar to a Middle Eastern/West Asian culture--and they are characterized as fairly violent and cruel. In their last appearance, they were portrayed as pretty much the only culture that approves of owning slaves. This time, we follow two main characters as they flee Calormen in search of a good life (with the white people of Narnia, of course) and we see firsthand the anger and violence of the leaders of Calormen. The only thing that I can really say is positive is that not everything about their culture was depicted negatively. One example of this that I can think of was their storytelling techniques, which Lewis makes a point of saying are impressive. One of the two protagonists is also a Calormene native, and she is still depicted as a good person and is even shown at the end in a biracial romance. Even so, I find it frustrating that Lewis can't seem to write non-white people without making them seem questionable as a whole. ( )
  NovelInsights | Sep 21, 2019 |
I thought the Horse and His Boy was more heavy-handed with its religious tilt than any of the previous Narnia books, but it was also a more exciting story than the Silver Chair certainly and possibly better than The Voyage of the Dawn Treader. With new characters not tied to previously introduced stories (with the exception of the late and limited cameos from Lucy, Edmund and Susan) it nearly stands on its own as a story. 3 1/2 stars. ( )
  Sean191 | Sep 2, 2019 |
In the opinion of this admirer, "The Horse and His Boy" is relatively unispired. It does not glow as much as the incomparable first book of the series, "The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe." It has not as much gay satire and plain excitement as several of the others. Just possibly the Narnian fields are suffering from overcropping, and could stand lying fallow while other fields are put back into cultivation.
added by Shortride | editThe New York Times Book Review, Chad Walsh (pay site) (Oct 17, 1954)

C. S. Lewisprimary authorall editionscalculated
Nielsen, CliffCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Van Allsburg, ChrisCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To David and Douglas Gresham
Til David og Douglas Gresham
This is the story of an adventure that happened in Narnia and Calormen and the lands between, in the Golden Age when Peter was High King in Narnia and his brother and his two sisters were King and Queens under him.
Dette er historien om nogle eventyrlige ting, der fandt sted i Narnia og Calormen og de mellemliggende lande i den gyldne tid, hvor Peter var øverste konge i Narnia, og hans bror og hans to søstre var konge og dronninger under ham.
And he writhed inside at what seemed the cruelty and unfairness of the demand. He had not yet learned that if you do one good deed your reward usually is to be set to do another and harder and better one.
Please do NOT combine "The Horse and his Boy" with "The Chronicles of Narnia".

Unabridged. Please do NOT combine with any abridged edition.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 142,363,995 books! | Top bar: Always visible