The Horse and His Boy by C. S. Lewis

English (154)  Dutch (3)  Spanish (2)  Polish (1)  All (1)  Italian (1)  Danish (1)  All (1)  All (164)
This is the sixth book in the Narnia series. "The time is the Golden Age during the reign of High King Peter, and the heroes are Horse, Bree, and Shasta, the boy who runs away with him from the cruel country of Calorman. Their shared adventures take them to the city of Tashbaan in disguise where Shasta is mistaken for a truant prince, and on an endless ride by burning day and silvery night over the desert to Narnia where Shasta discovers his true identity. When someone suggests that Shasta has stolen Bree, the Horse replies, 'You might as well say I stole him.' ( )
  gypsysmom | Aug 20, 2017 |
Wish i read these sooner ( )
  longhorndaniel | Jul 19, 2017 |
My 4th grade teacher read this book to us; I fell asleep in class for the first time. I read it again on my own in high school; I could barely keep my eyes open. I listened to the audiobook a few years after graduating from college; allowing myself to be distracted by leaves falling from trees was the only way I got through it. I've given it more chances than I've given any other book I didn't like, and my original opinion has not changed: this is the most boring book ever written. (Love the rest of the series, though.) ( )
  AngelClaw | Jul 15, 2017 |
Have you ever gone back and realised that's a book you loved as a child was extremely racist? Well, now I have. I loved Narnia when I was younger. I loved its story and how deeply linked it was to religion, even now that I'm older and no longer religious I still have a soft spot for it.

But... Damn this book is racist. Also, I am not particularly fond of Lewis's writing style, there is too much tell and almost no show and it doesn't work for me. Besides, I really don't understand how can he have so many characters devoid of true personality--there are so many scenes he could have used to develop the two main characters' relationship but nooooo.

All the Christian imagery that was wonderful to me as a child is now unnecessary. I want to know why your characters are good, why should I root for Aslan instead of Tash, instead I get racist stereotypes.

All in all, this is one of the strongest books in the series because it's more about the voyage and it's actually clear. ( )
  anagabymtz08 | Jun 25, 2017 |
I found it really hard to get through this one. This is probably the least adventurous book in the series. It felt like I was reading it for months.

I don't want to say anything bad about the series, because it really is a good story. But this one was slow going. ( )
  Shahnareads | Jun 21, 2017 |
In the opinion of this admirer, "The Horse and His Boy" is relatively unispired. It does not glow as much as the incomparable first book of the series, "The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe." It has not as much gay satire and plain excitement as several of the others. Just possibly the Narnian fields are suffering from overcropping, and could stand lying fallow while other fields are put back into cultivation.
added by Shortride | editThe New York Times Book Review, Chad Walsh (pay site) (Oct 17, 1954)

C. S. Lewisprimary authorall editionscalculated
Nielsen, CliffCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Van Allsburg, ChrisCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
[None]
To David and Douglas Gresham
This is the story of an adventure that happened in Narnia and Calormen and the lands between, in the Golden Age when Peter was High King in Narnia and his brother and his two sisters were King and Queens under him.
And he writhed inside at what seemed the cruelty and unfairness of the demand. He had not yet learned that if you do one good deed your reward usually is to be set to do another and harder and better one.
Please do NOT combine "The Horse and his Boy" with "The Chronicles of Narnia".

Unabridged. Please do NOT combine with any abridged edition.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0020442009, Paperback)

original CS Lewis classic!

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:16 -0400)

A boy and a talking horse share an adventurous and dangerous journey to Narnia to warn of invading barbarians.

Legacy Library: C. S. Lewis

C. S. Lewis has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See C. S. Lewis's legacy profile.

See C. S. Lewis's author page.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 118,588,100 books! | Top bar: Always visible