The horse and his boy BOOK 3 (BOOK 3…

The horse and his boy BOOK 3 (BOOK 3 Chronicles of Narnia),BOOK 3. (The… (original 1954; edition 1995)

by C. S Lewis (Author)

Member:p6rchk
Title:The horse and his boy BOOK 3 (BOOK 3 Chronicles of Narnia),BOOK 3. (The Horse and His Boy, Book 3)
Authors:C. S Lewis (Author)
Info:Scholastic Inc (1995), Edition: First Scholastic Printing, 224 pages

The Horse and His Boy by C. S. Lewis (1954)

English (158)  Dutch (3)  Spanish (2)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Polish (1)  Italian (1)  Danish (1)  German (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  All languages (169)
Coming back to this series, I'm surprised by how much I really like it. "The Horse and His Boy" is a little parable which doesn't really connect with the rest of the Narnia series, but there's something about the imagery of this duo and their cross-country travels that really appealed to me as a child. I think it's rather lovely, really. ( )
  therebelprince | Oct 30, 2018 |
Lovely, as is all of Narnia! This is probably my least favorite of the seven, but I obviously liked it enough, as I gave it four stars. ;) ( )
  SarahGraceGrzy | Oct 2, 2018 |
The third tale (chronologically) in the Chronicles of Narnia series, and not a favorite. I found myself extremely uncomfortable reading about a place where the bad guys are dark-skinned Muslim stand-ins, and the good guys are blonde, blue-eyed Aryans Narnians. It's probably not something I would have bumped on if I had read these when I was a child, but now, in the increasingly partisan, paranoid, intolerant, hate-filled world we have made for ourselves, it sat badly indeed.

The story itself, subtracting the distasteful ethno-religious elements, was slight but fine. A slave boy runs away from his master, aided and abetted by a talking horse who was himself captured from Narnia and wants to return home. Along the way, horse and boy team up with a young girl fleeing a forced marriage and her own talking horse. Hwin the lady horse was my favorite character by far. I can only imagine how completely over the moon I would have been to read this in fifth grade, when I was at the height of my "horse crazy" phase! ( )
  rosalita | Jun 4, 2018 |
The Chronicles of Narnia really define my childhood in so many ways. I remember being read to at night before bed as my parents made their way through each of these books and my imagination went running rampant. I absolutely adored each one of these stories, the children and their tumbles into Narnia, the lessons that they learned from Aslan and his people, and the greater implications it had on me as a reader and human being. I adore British literature, and especially children's British literature from the master, C.S. Lewis! ( )
  justagirlwithabook | Jun 2, 2018 |
I did not know this story at all and absolutely loved it! I wish this one had been made into a movie too! ( )
  MinDea | Feb 5, 2018 |
In the opinion of this admirer, "The Horse and His Boy" is relatively unispired. It does not glow as much as the incomparable first book of the series, "The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe." It has not as much gay satire and plain excitement as several of the others. Just possibly the Narnian fields are suffering from overcropping, and could stand lying fallow while other fields are put back into cultivation.
added by Shortride | editThe New York Times Book Review, Chad Walsh (pay site) (Oct 17, 1954)

C. S. Lewisprimary authorall editionscalculated
Nielsen, CliffCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Van Allsburg, ChrisCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To David and Douglas Gresham
Til David og Douglas Gresham
This is the story of an adventure that happened in Narnia and Calormen and the lands between, in the Golden Age when Peter was High King in Narnia and his brother and his two sisters were King and Queens under him.
Dette er historien om nogle eventyrlige ting, der fandt sted i Narnia og Calormen og de mellemliggende lande i den gyldne tid, hvor Peter var øverste konge i Narnia, og hans bror og hans to søstre var konge og dronninger under ham.
And he writhed inside at what seemed the cruelty and unfairness of the demand. He had not yet learned that if you do one good deed your reward usually is to be set to do another and harder and better one.
Please do NOT combine "The Horse and his Boy" with "The Chronicles of Narnia".

Unabridged. Please do NOT combine with any abridged edition.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0020442009, Paperback)

original CS Lewis classic!

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:16 -0400)

A boy and a talking horse share an adventurous and dangerous journey to Narnia to warn of invading barbarians.

Legacy Library: C. S. Lewis

C. S. Lewis has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See C. S. Lewis's legacy profile.

See C. S. Lewis's author page.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,771,691 books! | Top bar: Always visible