The horse and his boy BOOK 3 (BOOK 3…

The horse and his boy BOOK 3 (BOOK 3 Chronicles of Narnia),BOOK 3. (The… (original 1954; edition 1995)

by C S Lewis (Author)

A boy and a talking horse share an adventurous and dangerous journey to Narnia to warn of invading barbarians.
Member:KLHtet
Title:The horse and his boy BOOK 3 (BOOK 3 Chronicles of Narnia),BOOK 3. (The Horse and His Boy, Book 3)
Authors:C S Lewis (Author)
Info:Scholastic Book Services (1995), Edition: First Scholastic Printing, 224 pages
Rating:***

The Horse and His Boy by C. S. Lewis (1954)

English (174)  Dutch (3)  Spanish (2)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Polish (1)  Italian (1)  Danish (1)  German (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  All languages (185)
  lcslibrarian | Aug 13, 2020 |
  lcslibrarian | Aug 13, 2020 |
9/10 (excellent): Along with [b:The Last Battle|84369|The Last Battle (Chronicles of Narnia, #7)|C.S. Lewis|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1308814830s/84369.jpg|1059917], one of my favourite Narnia tales. Shasta makes a long and difficult journey to find Aslan, and yet discovers Aslan has always been with him, every step of the way.
At last they were going in single file along the edge of a precipice and Shasta shuddered to think that he had done the same last night without knowing it. “But of course,” he thought, “I was quite safe. That is why the Lion kept on my left. He was between me and the edge all the time.”
“I was the lion who forced you to join with Aravis. I was the cat who comforted you among the houses of the dead. I was the lion who drove the jackals from you while you slept. I was the lion who gave the Horses the new strength of fear for the last mile so that you should reach King Lune in time. And I was the lion you do not remember who pushed the boat in which you lay, a child near death, so that it came to shore where a man sat, wakeful at midnight, to receive you.” ( )
  mark_read | Aug 13, 2020 |
This story departs from the previous 4 books. It's more of a fantasy story and the two main protagonists are completely new. You will, however, come across the Pevensie kings and queens as incidental characters in the story. It's a typical, though very enjoyable, story of children weaving through a battle of good vs evil. The talking horses are quite enjoyable and add to the story. My daughter, who was 10 when we read this, enjoyed it very much. ( )
  JohnKaess | Jul 23, 2020 |
Aaaaaannnd it's time to downgrade an old classic.

Reading it with my girl was kinda a chore because BOTH of us thought the story dragged. And if a six-year-old can pick out the ickiness of caricature Arab cultures and find it distasteful (without any kind of reaction from her daddy), then it MIGHT be a bit bad.

Sure, sure, talking horses and missing princesses and princes and an adventure/quest OUGHT to be great fun, but the pacing is weird with lots of talking about events that just happened off-stage and with some anticlimactic lion cameos here and there, I had a distinct impression that I was being railroaded down a recently blown MORAL TUNNEL.

And then, what about the great battle at the end of this?

Yeah, let's have a daft old hermit call the highlights like a senile sportscaster who gets bored half-way through the telling to go inside to take a dump or something.

GREAT STORYTELLING, LEWIS.

And in the meantime, after the twentieth time, my daughter said, "I'm bored..." I woke her up at the end. She hugged me and said, "Daddy? Please. No more."

"No more, daughter. No more." ( )
  bradleyhorner | Jun 1, 2020 |
In the opinion of this admirer, "The Horse and His Boy" is relatively unispired. It does not glow as much as the incomparable first book of the series, "The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe." It has not as much gay satire and plain excitement as several of the others. Just possibly the Narnian fields are suffering from overcropping, and could stand lying fallow while other fields are put back into cultivation.
added by Shortride | editThe New York Times Book Review, Chad Walsh (pay site) (Oct 17, 1954)

C. S. Lewisprimary authorall editionscalculated
Nielsen, CliffCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Van Allsburg, ChrisCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To David and Douglas Gresham
Til David og Douglas Gresham
This is the story of an adventure that happened in Narnia and Calormen and the lands between, in the Golden Age when Peter was High King in Narnia and his brother and his two sisters were King and Queens under him.
Dette er historien om nogle eventyrlige ting, der fandt sted i Narnia og Calormen og de mellemliggende lande i den gyldne tid, hvor Peter var øverste konge i Narnia, og hans bror og hans to søstre var konge og dronninger under ham.
And he writhed inside at what seemed the cruelty and unfairness of the demand. He had not yet learned that if you do one good deed your reward usually is to be set to do another and harder and better one.
Please do NOT combine "The Horse and his Boy" with "The Chronicles of Narnia".

Unabridged. Please do NOT combine with any abridged edition.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 150,715,719 books! | Top bar: Always visible