The Horse and His Boy by C. S. Lewis
Authors:C. S. Lewis
Info:HarperCollins (2005), Paperback, 304 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:2006

The Horse and His Boy by C. S. Lewis (1954)

English (110)  Dutch (3)  Spanish (2)  Polish (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Italian (1)  Danish (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  All languages (120)
I tried reading the Horse and His Boy as a child and got lost fairly quickly in all of the eastern imagery, and so it was about time that I got back to it and finished it. There are some wonderful moments in this book: I particularly love the way that Aslan keeps on popping in and out of the storyline, looking after the young boy, Shasta, but without Shasta realising that he's been there helping him all along. At one point he wants the lion, Aslan, to leave him alone, only to find that Aslan actually wants to help him and has carried him on his journey up until that point. Shasta's character begins to morph into a wiser creature, now rooted in the mercy and kindness of Aslan. Having faith, myself, the meaning of these scenes is not lost on me. How often have I wondered whether God has been with me in a situation, but in hindsight it has been so abundantly clear that he has been there the whole time. Few stories are as enriching as this – this is not a children's novel; this is a novel for all ages. ( )
1 vote m-andrews | Dec 21, 2013 |
The book has lots of enjoyable moments. The characters and interactions of the two horses are fun. The punishment of Radagast is kind of useful, although I expect that he would have been assassinated by his subjects or his father fairly shortly, having been rendered so powerless by Aslan's magic.

As usual Aslan should be doing either a whole lot more, since he can do more, or a whole lot less, if he can't. Either way, he's creepy and annoying, just like C. S. Lewis's Anglican god, of which he is an allegory.

The main characters, although not English children, occasionally use English slang, while the characters who were English children seem to have forgotten it. ( )
  themulhern | Oct 13, 2013 |
Another beautiful cover. ( )
  amelish | Sep 12, 2013 |
The characters in this one seemed almost cartoonish. Seemed more of a fable or fairy tale than a fantasy novel.
I did like how everything tied together and everything had a purpose at the end although Aslan's holier than thou schtick gets tiring.

I enjoyed it because it was part of the series but if this was the only book in the series that I read or would read then the scoring might be even lower. ( )
  ferrisscottr | Jun 18, 2013 |
After re-reading this book, I fell in love with it even more. What's weird about it was it made me cry. I really loved the part where Shasta was riding through the fog with Aslan beside him. It really struck a chord me and made me realize of God's love. The Narnia series will be one of the first books I will make my children read. This was really one of the best book in the series. ( )
  krizia_lazaro | May 24, 2013 |
In the opinion of this admirer, "The Horse and His Boy" is relatively unispired. It does not glow as much as the incomparable first book of the series, "The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe." It has not as much gay satire and plain excitement as several of the others. Just possibly the Narnian fields are suffering from overcropping, and could stand lying fallow while other fields are put back into cultivation.
added by Shortride | editThe New York Times Book Review, Chad Walsh (pay site) (Oct 17, 1954)

C. S. Lewisprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Lavis, StephenCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Nielsen, CliffCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Van Allsburg, ChrisCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To David and Douglas Gresham
This is the story of an adventure that happened in Narnia and Calormen and the lands between, in the Golden Age when Peter was High King in Narnia and his brother and his two sisters were King and Queens under him.
And he writhed inside at what seemed the cruelty and unfairness of the demand. He had not yet learned that if you do one good deed your reward usually is to be set to do another and harder and better one.
Please do NOT combine "The Horse and his Boy" with "The Chronicles of Narnia".

Unabridged. Please do NOT combine with any abridged edition.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0020442009, Paperback)

original CS Lewis classic!

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:52:40 -0400)

A boy and a talking horse share an adventurous and dangerous journey to Narnia to warn of invading barbarians.

Legacy Library: C. S. Lewis

C. S. Lewis has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See C. S. Lewis's legacy profile.

See C. S. Lewis's author page.

Nine editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,648,584 books! | Top bar: Always visible