The Horse and His Boy by C. S. Lewis
Authors:C. S. Lewis
Info:HarperCollins (2005), Paperback, 304 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:2006

The Horse and His Boy by C. S. Lewis (1954)

English (114)  Dutch (3)  Spanish (2)  Polish (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Italian (1)  Danish (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  All languages (124)
I remembered this one least of all the Narnia stories, perhaps because it’s more peripheral than the others, three of the four children coming into it only at the end even if Aslan’s present several times and providing the very convenient disposal of the bad Rabadash at the end.

I wonder if this book would have survived as well as it has if it weren’t part of the Narnia series. Lewis has an effective way of taking to the reader (just as Tolkien has in his novels) and that draws us in but I found this tale just that touch too contrived, didactic and predictable, and I do recollect being less impressed by this novel when I first read it such a long time ago. ( )
  evening | Oct 4, 2014 |
My favorite Narnia book ( )
  ben_a | Sep 29, 2014 |
I liked this book, but it wasn't as good as others in the Narnia series. I don't really understand why the author chose to leave the point of view of the modern characters and instead focus on characters from the Narnia world. They were interesting, but not nearly as interesting as the more familiar people, and they just didn't do a whole lot. So, on to the next book in the series, The Magician's Nephew. ( )
  piersanti | Sep 28, 2014 |
one of my favorite of the series.
The characters I enjoyed here more than the other books & I liked the mystery & exoctcness of the new lands desert etc
Plus talking horses! :) ( )
  JazMinderr | Jul 31, 2014 |
I tried reading the Horse and His Boy as a child and got lost fairly quickly in all of the eastern imagery, and so it was about time that I got back to it and finished it. There are some wonderful moments in this book: I particularly love the way that Aslan keeps on popping in and out of the storyline, looking after the young boy, Shasta, but without Shasta realising that he's been there helping him all along. At one point he wants the lion, Aslan, to leave him alone, only to find that Aslan actually wants to help him and has carried him on his journey up until that point. Shasta's character begins to morph into a wiser creature, now rooted in the mercy and kindness of Aslan. Having faith, myself, the meaning of these scenes is not lost on me. How often have I wondered whether God has been with me in a situation, but in hindsight it has been so abundantly clear that he has been there the whole time. Few stories are as enriching as this – this is not a children's novel; this is a novel for all ages. ( )
1 vote m-andrews | Dec 21, 2013 |
In the opinion of this admirer, "The Horse and His Boy" is relatively unispired. It does not glow as much as the incomparable first book of the series, "The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe." It has not as much gay satire and plain excitement as several of the others. Just possibly the Narnian fields are suffering from overcropping, and could stand lying fallow while other fields are put back into cultivation.
added by Shortride | editThe New York Times Book Review, Chad Walsh (pay site) (Oct 17, 1954)

C. S. Lewisprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Nielsen, CliffCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Van Allsburg, ChrisCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
[None]
To David and Douglas Gresham
This is the story of an adventure that happened in Narnia and Calormen and the lands between, in the Golden Age when Peter was High King in Narnia and his brother and his two sisters were King and Queens under him.
And he writhed inside at what seemed the cruelty and unfairness of the demand. He had not yet learned that if you do one good deed your reward usually is to be set to do another and harder and better one.
Please do NOT combine "The Horse and his Boy" with "The Chronicles of Narnia".

Unabridged. Please do NOT combine with any abridged edition.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0020442009, Paperback)

original CS Lewis classic!

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:52:40 -0400)

A boy and a talking horse share an adventurous and dangerous journey to Narnia to warn of invading barbarians.

Legacy Library: C. S. Lewis

C. S. Lewis has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See C. S. Lewis's legacy profile.

See C. S. Lewis's author page.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,393,462 books! | Top bar: Always visible