dismiss

The Voyage of the Dawn Treader

by C. S. Lewis

19,152196144 (4.04)346
Lucy and Edmund, accompanied by their peevish cousin Eustace, sail to the land of Narnia where Eustace is temporarily transformed into a green dragon because of his selfish behavior and skepticism.
    The Odyssey by Homer (darlingtrk)
    darlingtrk: Dawn Treader follows the Quest archetype, and Homer is the archetypal example.
    The Dragon of Mith by Kate Walker (bookel)
    The Maze by Peni R. Griffin (bookel)
    Runestone by Anna Ciddor (bookel)
    A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle (krizia_lazaro)

English (188)  Spanish (2)  Dutch (2)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Italian (1)  Finnish (1)  German (1)  All languages (196)
As a kid, I enjoyed this book but didn't necessarily love it. Susan (at the time) was my favorite character, and since she wasn't in this one I didn't revisit it as often. However, now that I'm an adult (and Edmund is now my favorite character) I like this one a lot more. It's also very different in format from the rest of the Narnia books, since it's written almost more like a series of vignettes about the different islands instead of having a single plot to carry us through the whole book. ( )
  ca.bookwyrm | May 18, 2020 |
As a child, "The Voyage of the Dawn Treader" was my favourite Narnia book, but I think it was primarily for the image of the painting coming to life. While there's certainly nothing wrong with it, and there is something majestic about this tale of the grand ship (Featuring some new characters at that!), I run hot and cold on this book. I do appreciate that Lewis chose to show different sides of Narnia rather than just ponderously giving us the same thing each time, but on re-reading, I was less than enthusiastic about the journeys taken by the characters.

(And, as much as I don't want to sound like some obnoxious 21st century academic, there is obviously an anglocentric, Christian, male-dominating point-of-view narrating these books which makes them less gripping than more democratic modern day children's fare. Or even, really, Enid Blyton, who still had the beliefs of the era but somehow didn't let them affect her work!) ( )
  therebelprince | Apr 27, 2020 |
Out of all the books that I've read, thus far, from the Narnia series I like this one the best. It has some great usage of language, particularly in the middle and latter parts of the book. Additionally, the story is sharp and the characters crisp. Overall, a good read.

3.5 stars. ( )
  DanielSTJ | Mar 30, 2020 |
Fuck everyone: this is a beautiful book. ( )
  GirlMeetsTractor | Mar 22, 2020 |
A great classic. ( )
  Linyarai | Feb 16, 2020 |
As in many other of Mr. Lewis' books, one finds a strong poetic sense and awareness of the loveliness and mystery of a universe which cannot be wholly grasped by common sense.
added by Shortride | editThe New York Times Book Review, Chad Walsh (pay site) (Nov 16, 1952)

Lewis, C. S.primary authorall editionsconfirmed
Neckenauer, UllaÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Owen, Edmund T.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Van Allsburg, ChrisCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Geoffrey Barfield
There was a boy called Eustace Clarence Scrubb, and he almost deserved it.
Der var en dreng, der hed To Eustace Clarence Scrubb, og han havde næsten fortjent det. Hans forældre kaldte ham Eustace Clarence, og lærerne kaldte ham Scrubb. Jeg kan ikke fortælle dig, hvad hans venner kaldte ham, for han havde ingen.
And then all the schoolboys joined in because they also liked processions and felt that the more noise and disturbance there was the less likely they would be to have any school that morning.
What awaited them on this island was going to concern Eustace more than anyone else, but it cannot be told in his words because after September 11 he forgot about keeping his diary for a long time.
Unabridged. Please do NOT combine with any abridged editions.
Please do NOT combine "The Voyage of the Dawn Treader" with "The Chronicles of Narnia"

Lucy and Edmund, with their dreadful cousin Eustace, get magically pulled into a painting of a ship at sea. That ship is the Dawn Treader, and on board is Caspian, King of Narnia. He and his companions, including Reepicheep, the valiant warrior mouse, are searching for seven lost lords of Narnia, and their voyage will take them to the edge of the world. Their adventures include being captured by slave traders, a much-too-close encounter with a dragon, and visits to many enchanted islands, including the place where dreams come true.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 147,971,057 books! | Top bar: Always visible