The Voyage of the Dawn Treader by C. S.…
    The Dragon of Mith by Kate Walker (bookel)
    The Maze by Peni R. Griffin (bookel)
    The Odyssey by Homer (darlingtrk)
    darlingtrk: Dawn Treader follows the Quest archetype, and Homer is the archetypal example.
    Runestone by Anna Ciddor (bookel)
    A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle (krizia_lazaro)

English (131)  Spanish (2)  Dutch (2)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Finnish (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (138)
Narnia 3.
Read in Samoa Dec 2002 ( )
  mbmackay | Nov 27, 2015 |
"The Voyage of the Dawn Treader" is a great fantasy novel. It has some very endearing new characters, like Reepicheep, the gallant and brave mouse. However, Eustace, the cousin of Peter, Susan, Edward, and Lucy sometimes redeemed himself. I thought his character's comments were a little uninteresting in the story. I did find the scenes onboard the ship exciting at times. I was intrigued by their many, often dangerous adventures on islands and the high seas. Definitely a classic! ( )
  Breton07 | Nov 6, 2015 |
I like how it ended... and I love how Aslan is always so mysterious.. :)
I like very much the way it is sometimes compared to our world..
Excellent book! :) ( )
  smiley0905 | Sep 3, 2015 |
"The Voyage of the Dawn Treader is the fifth book in the Chronicles of Narnia series. While there is much Christian symbolism in this book, it is subtly done and never feels out of place in the tale itself.

The story begins when Edmund and Lucy Pevensie are forced to spend their summer away from their parents and siblings with their uncle Harold and aunt Alberta. While neither Edmund or Lucy look forward to their visit with family, the worst part is having to live with their cousin, Eustace Scrub: an intellectual bully, who wishes nothing more than to torment them as much as possible.

One day, Eustace catches his cousins admiring a painting of a Narnia-esque ship, reminiscing a bit about their wonderful adventures in Narnia. Naturally, the house bully cannot allow this opportunity to pass and begins to needle Lucy and Edmund about their lack of culture and refinement in the arts. However, while he taunts Lucy, something magical happens: the waves begin to surge forth from the painting. Suddenly, we are back to Narnia again. And what amazing adventures follow! Soon, the three children find themselves re-encountering old friends, sailing from island to island, rediscovering ancient Narnians, encountering dragons and sea serpents, running afoul of magic after magic, and find themselves changed by all that they see and face.

Overall, it was a good book, but I have a few complaints. First of all, as much as I loved the sea voyage and the constant discoveries by the adventurers, I found myself growing weary of yet another island with yet another magical danger or unexpected friend. It became kind of predictable. Secondly, the ending - while heartfelt and moving - left me feeling a little disappointed. While the analogy about Aslam's country being haven is great and emotional, I was really expecting to get to see a little bit more of it. Regardless, I would totally recommend it to anyone, Narnia fan or not.

Interesting quotes that I didn't include in the review:
Adventures are never fun while you're having them.
One of the most cowardly things ordinary people do is to shut their eyes to facts.

The Last Passage
Only two more things need to be told. One is that Caspian and his men all came safely back to Ramandu’s Island. And the three lords woke from their sleep. Caspian married Ramandu’s daughter and they all reached Narnia in the end, and she became a great queen and the mother and grandmother of great kings. The other is that back in our own world everyone soon started saying how Eustace had improved, and how “You’d never know him for the same boy”: everyone except Aunt Alberta, who said he had become very commonplace and tiresome and it must have been the influence of those Pevensie children." ( )
  AdemilsonM | Sep 2, 2015 |
Delightful at times, this read-aloud (as with many of the Narnia books) would occasionally leave us indifferent about reading the next chapter the next night. Hence, we took more than a month to read it. Lewis took us on a pleasant and amusing voyage, but there were fewer scenes that prompted philosophical discussion. Several religious questions were raised at the end; Aslan prompted us to consider pre-destination, divine intervention & purpose, and the concept of "bridges" being built for us to the promised land daily (that was a beautiful image) by God, but to find the way, we have to "listen" as God is always "there". We also discussed the power of greed to challenge our good character, the fallibility of everyone (even Caspian and Lucy), and the potential for good in those of bad character (Eustace). Looking back, there WAS a lot of discussion, but there were also many nights/chapters with nothing to challenge us but rather just a fanciful trip to enjoy, but my son and I don't always particularly enjoy fantastical lands (unless they tell us something about our own world). If you ARE into fantasy, this is an excellent book for you. While my son protested the prospect of not continuing with the series, he's not begging me to finish it, either. This is undeniably a 3-star book. ( )
  engpunk77 | Aug 10, 2015 |
As in many other of Mr. Lewis' books, one finds a strong poetic sense and awareness of the loveliness and mystery of a universe which cannot be wholly grasped by common sense.
added by Shortride | editThe New York Times Book Review, Chad Walsh (pay site) (Nov 16, 1952)

C. S. Lewisprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Jacobi, Sir DerekNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Neckenauer, UllaÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Van Allsburg, ChrisCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Geoffrey Barfield
There was a boy called Eustace Clarence Scrubb, and he almost deserved it.
And then all the schoolboys joined in because they also liked processions and felt that the more noise and disturbance there was the less likely they would be to have any school that morning.
What awaited them on this island was going to concern Eustace more than anyone else, but it cannot be told in his words because after September 11 he forgot about keeping his diary for a long time.
Unabridged. Please do NOT combine with any abridged editions.
Please do NOT combine "The Voyage of the Dawn Treader" with "The Chronicles of Narnia"

Lucy and Edmund, with their dreadful cousin Eustace, get magically pulled into a painting of a ship at sea. That ship is the Dawn Treader, and on board is Caspian, King of Narnia. He and his companions, including Reepicheep, the valiant warrior mouse, are searching for seven lost lords of Narnia, and their voyage will take them to the edge of the world. Their adventures include being captured by slave traders, a much-too-close encounter with a dragon, and visits to many enchanted islands, including the place where dreams come true.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0020442602, Paperback)

Book 3 in the Chronicles of Narnia.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:42 -0400)

Lucy, Edmund, and their peevish cousin Eustace travel with Prince Caspian aboard his ship, the Dawn Treader.

Legacy Library: C. S. Lewis

C. S. Lewis has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See C. S. Lewis's legacy profile.

See C. S. Lewis's author page.

HarperCollins Childrens Books

5 editions of this book were published by HarperCollins Childrens Books.

Editions: 0061714976, 0061992887, 0061969052, 0061969060, 0061969079

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,853,905 books! | Top bar: Always visible