The Voyage of the Dawn Treader by C. S.…
17,593191153 (4.05)331
    The Dragon of Mith by Kate Walker (bookel)
    The Odyssey by Homer (darlingtrk)
    darlingtrk: Dawn Treader follows the Quest archetype, and Homer is the archetypal example.
    The Maze by Peni R. Griffin (bookel)
    Runestone by Anna Ciddor (bookel)
    A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle (krizia_lazaro)

English (180)  Spanish (2)  Dutch (2)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Italian (1)  Finnish (1)  German (1)  All languages (188)
Lucy and Edmund Pevensie are with their odious cousin Eustace Scrubb when they are whisked away to the deck of the Dawn Treader to join King Caspian in his search for seven lost Lords of Narnia and for Aslan's land. This was one of my favorite books as a child and, although the religious allusions are too heavy-handed for an adult, every time I reread it, Caspian and the Pevensies bring me the same joy they always have and Eustace's transformation will always break my heart. This, and the other books in the series, will be on my to-reread list for the rest of my life. ( )
  -Eva- | Mar 31, 2019 |
Another re-read for my eight-year-old's bedtime story. He must have liked it, as for once he went straight for the next book in the series for his next story choice!

To be honest, I didn't really remember much of this one. Highlights of this volume are Reepicheep, and I always love Lucy, and of course the whole Eustace-dragon storyline. There are other aspects that have not aged nearly as well. Perhaps most noticeably that other than Lucy, there are virtually NO GIRLS. Even Ramandu's daughter doesn't get her own name -- even when she appears in the next book!

Also, I had to say "poop" way too many times, which always made my kid giggle.

But, you know, it's a big adventure story, and the adventures are interesting and mostly fun. A fairly good choice for a read-aloud book. ( )
  greeniezona | Jan 24, 2019 |
This was yet another of C.S. Lewis's wonderful stories of Narnia. I loved seeing all the different islands, each with it's own adventure. I very nearly cried at the end, and when I finished this I could hardly wait to start the next book. ( )
  AngelaRenea | Jan 12, 2019 |
Entertaining sailing. Lacks depth. ( )
  Fiddleback_ | Dec 17, 2018 |
As a child, "The Voyage of the Dawn Treader" was my favourite Narnia book, but I think it was primarily for the image of the painting coming to life. While there's certainly nothing wrong with it, and there is something majestic about this tale of the grand ship (Featuring some new characters at that!), I run hot and cold on this book. I do appreciate that Lewis chose to show different sides of Narnia rather than just ponderously giving us the same thing each time, but on re-reading, I was less than enthusiastic about the journeys taken by the characters.

(And, as much as I don't want to sound like some obnoxious 21st century academic, there is obviously an anglocentric, Christian, male-dominating point-of-view narrating these books which makes them less gripping than more democratic modern day children's fare. Or even, really, Enid Blyton, who still had the beliefs of the era but somehow didn't let them affect her work!) ( )
  therebelprince | Oct 30, 2018 |
As in many other of Mr. Lewis' books, one finds a strong poetic sense and awareness of the loveliness and mystery of a universe which cannot be wholly grasped by common sense.
added by Shortride | editThe New York Times Book Review, Chad Walsh (pay site) (Nov 16, 1952)

Lewis, C. S.primary authorall editionsconfirmed
Neckenauer, UllaÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Owen, Edmund T.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Van Allsburg, ChrisCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Geoffrey Barfield
There was a boy called Eustace Clarence Scrubb, and he almost deserved it.
Der var en dreng, der hed To Eustace Clarence Scrubb, og han havde næsten fortjent det. Hans forældre kaldte ham Eustace Clarence, og lærerne kaldte ham Scrubb. Jeg kan ikke fortælle dig, hvad hans venner kaldte ham, for han havde ingen.
And then all the schoolboys joined in because they also liked processions and felt that the more noise and disturbance there was the less likely they would be to have any school that morning.
What awaited them on this island was going to concern Eustace more than anyone else, but it cannot be told in his words because after September 11 he forgot about keeping his diary for a long time.
Unabridged. Please do NOT combine with any abridged editions.
Please do NOT combine "The Voyage of the Dawn Treader" with "The Chronicles of Narnia"

Lucy and Edmund, with their dreadful cousin Eustace, get magically pulled into a painting of a ship at sea. That ship is the Dawn Treader, and on board is Caspian, King of Narnia. He and his companions, including Reepicheep, the valiant warrior mouse, are searching for seven lost lords of Narnia, and their voyage will take them to the edge of the world. Their adventures include being captured by slave traders, a much-too-close encounter with a dragon, and visits to many enchanted islands, including the place where dreams come true.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0020442602, Paperback)

Book 3 in the Chronicles of Narnia.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:42 -0400)

Lucy, Edmund, and their peevish cousin Eustace travel with Prince Caspian aboard his ship, the Dawn Treader.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,175,517 books! | Top bar: Always visible