The Voyage of the Dawn Treader…

The Voyage of the Dawn Treader (paper-over-board) (Narnia) (original 1952; edition 2006)

by C. S. Lewis

Member:ashbrau
Title:The Voyage of the Dawn Treader (paper-over-board) (Narnia)
Authors:C. S. Lewis
Info:HarperCollins (2006), Hardcover, 256 pages
Rating:***

The Voyage of the Dawn Treader by C. S. Lewis (1952)

The Dragon of Mith by Kate Walker (bookel)
    The Maze by Peni R. Griffin (bookel)
    The Odyssey by Homer (darlingtrk)
    darlingtrk: Dawn Treader follows the Quest archetype, and Homer is the archetypal example.
    Runestone by Anna Ciddor (bookel)
    A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle (krizia_lazaro)

English (121)  Spanish (2)  Dutch (2)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Finnish (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (128)
This book was much more interesting than the first two in the Narnia series. There weren't any battles and there wasn't any real fighting. The main characters still had lots of adventures, but they were fun, exciting adventures rather than kill-the-bad-guys adventures. ( )
  piersanti | Sep 28, 2014 |
One of my favorites of the series.
If I could pick one out of the lot to read right now it would be this. Then Horse & His Boy..

My fave part of the book is when they meet the dufflepods & lucy finds the big book &
also when eustace 'changes' (I wont divulge anymore for those who havent read it yet)

I love this story because they have so many different adventures.

Eustace is annoyingly funny - reepicheep is awesome but I love lucy the best :) dont know why.. oh Caspian is an agreeably annoying ass lol ( )
  JazMinderr | Jul 31, 2014 |
For years, my favorite book in the Chronicles has hovered between this one and The Last Battle, but I think as an adult, I appreciate this one the most. What I love:

-seeing a slightly more grown-up, but still young, Lucy and Edmund
-Seeing Caspian after he's been used to being King for a few years
- The separate adventures of each island
-Eustace. He provides some humor before his transformation, and his transformation to a dragon back to a redeemed boy is one of my all-time favorites(though it's still second to Edmund's in The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe)
-Goldwater/Deathwater island. Perhaps the island that's always stuck with me the most.

And the "life on sea" parts were really enjoyable too, as well as Lucy's adventure with the magician and the spells. That was my favorite part as a child.

Overall, I think this is probably also the FUNNEST book in the series. All the seperate adventures make it a pretty thrilling read. Hate the movie adaption though. ( )
  Stormydawnc | Jun 23, 2014 |
Putting on my 'Childhood Favorites' shelf is a misnomer, as I never read this as a child. Again, with the silly Christian undertones. Then end where Aslan tells Lucy she will never return to Narnia (riiiiiiight) but she will know him under another name in her own world, that's why she had to meet him in Narina... hmmm... what could that name be?

I think it's nearly criminal to feed such loosely veiled propaganda to our (any!) unknowing child. If Christianity is the 'One True Faith' then children will find it (as cognizant adults) without being duped or brainwashed. Ick.
2 vote steadfastreader | Mar 18, 2014 |
We take voyage to the right hand side of the map, and the sea is filled with wonders. I liked this book, perhaps the second best Narnia tale, and I always will. It was the first nudge that I received in the exploration of medieval literature.
This is the Narnia book with Pauline Baynes' greatest illustration, "The heartbroken Dragon"! ( )
  DinadansFriend | Feb 26, 2014 |
As in many other of Mr. Lewis' books, one finds a strong poetic sense and awareness of the loveliness and mystery of a universe which cannot be wholly grasped by common sense.
added by Shortride | editThe New York Times Book Review, Chad Walsh (pay site) (Nov 16, 1952)

C. S. Lewisprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Hämäläinen, KyllikkiTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Jacobi, Sir DerekNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Van Allsburg, ChrisCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Geoffrey Barfield
There was a boy called Eustace Clarence Scrubb, and he almost deserved it.
And then all the schoolboys joined in because they also liked processions and felt that the more noise and disturbance there was the less likely they would be to have any school that morning.
What awaited them on this island was going to concern Eustace more than anyone else, but it cannot be told in his words because after September 11 he forgot about keeping his diary for a long time.
Unabridged. Please do NOT combine with any abridged editions.
Please do NOT combine "The Voyage of the Dawn Treader" with "The Chronicles of Narnia"

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0020442602, Paperback)

Book 3 in the Chronicles of Narnia.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:53:43 -0400)

Lucy, Edmund, and their peevish cousin Eustace travel with Prince Caspian aboard his ship, the Dawn Treader.

Legacy Library: C. S. Lewis

C. S. Lewis has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See C. S. Lewis's legacy profile.

See C. S. Lewis's author page.

Five editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

HarperCollins Childrens Books

Four editions of this book were published by HarperCollins Childrens Books.

Editions: 0061992887, 0061969052, 0061969060, 0061969079

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,045,404 books! | Top bar: Always visible